Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22843
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Wild West Cthulhu

Game NameCthulhu Cassidy and the Sundance Yig
Game SystemCall of Cthulhu, 7th ed
ThemePosse v Madness
FlavorDangerous, survival, gruff, with a smoky vanilla base.

“This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”
—Journalist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Setting This story begins in the fictional town of Rosehill in Sandoval County, New Mexico, in the desert mountains northwest of Albuquerque, not far from the Rio Grande. It will span most of New Mexico and some of the nearby states. The year is 1881.
Setting Information

Distasteful and Disgraceful Histories HP Lovecraft was a racist. Most people in the West in the 1880s were racist. Leave that trash at the door please, or don’t come in. You may feel that your portrayal of fictional prejudice and bigotry is worthy of an Oscar; however, another player may find it offensive. While it is true that behaviors that are repugnant were once ordinary and acceptable I have no desire to deal with racism, xenophobia, religious bias, and sexual discrimination even though they were part of everyday life and often loudly espoused. Many laws systematically supported segregation and discrimination of every sort, and social forces of great power underwrote that legislation. This game is about horror and the crushing despair of our existence and it is on that theme I wish to focus, and to that end, I say, ‘to hell with the historical accuracy.’

Throughout this game, the term American Indian will be used for the indigenous peoples of North America, most frequently from the southwest of the modern United States. There continues to be debate on the usage of terms like Native American, which many do not feel adequately represents indigenous peoples. In truth, many people prefer to be referred to by their specific nation or tribe. Which for much of this game will be the Navajo (Diné), Hopi, Shoshone, and Ute, peoples. I wish to be culturally sensitive and, where appropriate, will us specific nation or tribe names, with American Indian being used to encompass the many differing tribes and nations. No offense is intended.

“That’s Latin, darlin’. Evidently Mr. Ringo is an educated man. Now I really hate him.”
— Doc Holliday, Tombstone

The SetupOn a ranch just outside the village of Rosehill in the yet untamed wilds of the New Mexico territory, a remarkable archaeological find was recently made. Archie Donaldson, a farm hand working on the Lon Lon Ranch, noticed that one of the estate's many pasture hillocks had partially collapsed, revealing what he quickly decided was a man-made chamber. As Talon Hylian, owner of the Lon Long Ranch tells it:

Well, Archie came running in while I was eating my breakfast, and excitedly held up a bit of gold jewelry which he'd taken from the chamber, a sort of rounded bracelet, and told me how he'd found it. Now I'd always believed those mounds to be natural features of the landscape, and so I was most excited to learn the contrary. My uncle had been something of an historian, and so I was quite aware of the significance of what Archie had found. Between Archie, myself, and two men from Rosehill, we were able to salvage the rest of the find.

And what a find!

Although the relics have yet to be examined by experts, it is expected that they are from the eighth or ninth century. Mr. Hylian is allowing anyone who is fortunate enough to be in the area a viewing of the find until the arrival of the archaeological team from Miskatonic University, a small prestigious university in the Boston area. At that time, the artifacts will be handed over for cataloging and dating . After that, the pieces will go on show at the Chambers Street Museum in Edinburgh . The last word goes to Mr. Hylian:
It just goes to show that the past is much closer to us than we think .

Just so. Mr. Hylian.

Just. So.
Rosehill Rosehill is a small quintessential western town in the north of the territory of New Mexico, a town with a population of a little over two hundred. This population is split between the village itself and the surrounding ranches, which account for over one quarter of the official figure. The surrounding countryside is mountainous, wide, and wild. The climate is ever-changing here in the western territories. The region is steeped in tradition and folklore, and the communities are relatively friendly towards outsiders - so long as they're not overly nosey or bothersome. Navajo and Hopi regularly travel from their reservation to trade in Rosehill, and rarely there are sightings of the Shoshone or Ute.

The Investigators The investigators are in New Mexico, enjoying the air, the freedom, the work. The first pull towards the dusty town of Rosehill comes in the form of a newspaper report appearing in all the major papers attesting to a major archaeological find near the village. An ancient burial mound has been uncovered, and along with several well-preserved skeletons were found with several Anasazi treasures, though some whisper that it may be somehow connected to El Dorado. The mound was discovered on the land of one Talon Hylian, a wealthy rancher, and the treasures will be placed on temporary display in Rosehill before being removed for careful study; all in all, a prime opportunity to broaden the mind.

The investigators find themselves sharing a wagon ride to the small town of Rosehill, they’ll arrive at around five in the evening, and have sent ahead to reserve a room at the only Saloon in town, the Buckhorn Exchange.

Applications Your application does not need to follow this format verbatim, if you wish to be more creative, go for it. However, this is the information I'm looking for when evaluating your application to the game.
1. Name:
2. Age:
3. Occupation:
4. Origin: Country, city, nation, etc…
5. Physical description: You may post a small image, but provide a physical description in words, this is far more important.
6. Personality: Who are you, how do you behave, what are you afraid of?
7. PCs relationships (2 minimum): Which of your travel mates do you like? Do you not like? Are they trustworthy or kind of odd?
8. Background: Talk about your character past, goals, fear, and weakness.

While not specifically listed think about the important parts of a CoC character sheet and incorporate them or list them separately, your choice.
Personal Description, Ideology/Beliefs, Significant People, Meaningful Locations, Treasured Possessions, and Traits. It’s not essential to have an entry for each category, but the more you are able to define, the more your investigator comes to life.

9. RP Sample: Tie your character together in a short (no more than 700 words) post. Be pith, concise, creative, and awesome.

10. Please let me know how familiar you are with the rules. This will have no bearing on my selection, but will help me prepare better moving forward.

Posting frequency You can expect 1-2 DM posts per week, more if you can keep up.

Most demoniacal of all shocks is that the abysmally unexpected and grotesquely unbelievable. Nothing I had before undergone could compare in terror with what I now saw with the bizarre marvels that sight implied.
Character creationIf you are familiar with CoC character generation, awesome. If not, we can either work together or you can give me the concept and I’ll generate the character for you. I want you to be able to own your character, but CoC is far more RP heavy than say, pathfinder, and you needn’t concern yourself with things like min maxing or getting the perfect build.

We will be using the QuickStart rules for convenience with a few modifications.

The characteristic array is: 40, 50, 50, 60, 60, 70, 70, 80
Unlike in the QuickStart rules we will adjust for age.
HP, see below.

The following occupations are available: Artist, Confidence Trickster, Cowboy/girl, Craftsperson, Dilettante/Greenhorn, Doctor, Entertainer, Expressman/Woman, Farmer, Gambler, Gunfighter, Hobo/Drifter, Journalist/Author, Lawman, Lawyer/Judge, Man/Woman of God, Merchant, Miner/Prospector, Outlaw, Politician, Rancher, Scholar/Teacher, Scientist/Engineer, Scout/Mountain Man/Woman, Soldier/Warrior, Unskilled laborer

You may have Civil war Experience. You must adjust your age accordingly (it is currently 1881, you must have been at least 17 in 1864).
You must deduct d10+5 from SAN, suffer from an injury/scar or phobia/mania, you gain 70 bonus skill points divided among any of the following skills: Climb, Jump, Fighting (Brawl), Fighting (Sword), Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun), First Aid, Listen, Stealth, Survival, Throw.
You are immune to sanity loss resulting from viewing corpses or gross injury.

Alternative Rules in Play

Deadline
Closed

Last edited by wodine; 05-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:40 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Applications
PlayerCharacter NameProfessionComplete?
Ysolde Ahyoka Yanasageyá Law-WomanComplete
PopCultureBardLysander FreemanOutlawComplete
SuburbanplanktonSamuel WarrenBook BinderComplete
GirlplayBetheany Anna MargraveEntertainerComplete
Solitaire64Daniel TillersonJournalistComplete
AndorJonathan William JuddLawmanComplete
OneDarknessHarvey HickmanProspectorComplete
GothaJohn LynchDrifterWithdrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanplankton View Post
Just to clarify, the game will be played using this ruleset, correct?

Assuming that's the case, would the free Quick Start Rules be sufficient for us to get started? If I get chosen for the game, I would probably drop $9.99 for the Starter Set PDF.
Yes you only need the quickstart rules, I can walk you through the rest as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
GM: Question about the setting and our characters. Should our background be fairly normal to the setting? Have our character seen anything 'weird' or supernatural or anything before the events of this game?
It has been life as usual for the characters. They've never been exposed to the mythos.

Last edited by wodine; 05-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13827
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Expressing interest. Looking into some female Civil War veterans and doctors.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20243
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Aw, man. Just when I thought I was done applying for games for awhile. I'll be chewing on this all weekend.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton

Assuming that's the case, would the free Quick Start Rules be sufficient for us to get started? If I get chosen for the game, I would probably drop $9.99 for the Starter Set PDF.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanplankton View Post

Yes I can walk people through anything not in the quickstart rules.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13351
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
One archetype that I equate with the Old West is the saloon girl. Would you object to me applying with such a character? Her official occupation would be "entertainer" - who informs on people to investors.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlplay View Post
One archetype that I equate with the Old West is the saloon girl. Would you object to me applying with such a character? Her official occupation would be "entertainer" - who informs on people to investors.
As long as you have a reason for her heading off to Rosehill, I don't mind.

Also I might rename the city. I'm just not feeling it.

Last edited by wodine; 05-17-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
Samuel Warren
right-aligned image

Name: Samuel Warren
Origin: St. Joseph, Missouri

Physical description:
Samuel stands five feet nine inches tall, with a wiry build. we wears his light brown hair a bit longer than most men, slicked back off of an ever increasing forehead. A pair of fine spectacles sits atop a thin nose, above clean-shaven cheeks. He tends to prefer somewhat conservative clothing for business purposes, favoring a double-breasted suit and derby hat...but often eschews his coat to better endure the hot climate of New Mexico.

Personality:
Samuel is an open, friendly person, who always tries to see the bright side of any situation. He tends to be naturally trusting of others, sometimes to his own detriment. He also tends to be somewhat of a dreamer; he fancies himself a 'frontiersman', and wishes that he could head off and explore the great unknown, like the great Frontier Explorers. But he could never abandon his responsibilities to his family, so he settles for reading tales of adventures and imagining himself in them.

Background:
Samuel was born in St. Joseph, on the edge of the "Wild West", His father was a shopkeeper, selling supplies to explorers and settlers heading west, and purchasing furs, and other items from those returning from the vast open spaces. He was always captivated by stories told by frontiersmen, and dreamed as a boy of journeying west and making great discoveries, like Zebulon Pike or Jim Bridger. When he was 16, he learned that one of the stagecoach lines was looking to hire riders for a mail delivery service, all the way to San Francisco! Being a fairly accomplished rider himself, he wanted to apply...but it would have meant leaving his father without help to run his store, so Samuel had to content himself with merely watching as the riders departed for California.

Samuel was a voracious reader, He loved all sorts of books, but especially tales of adventure and exploration, and his father fed this passion by creating an ever increasing library for Samuel. Eventually, Samuel had so many books that they started lending them out of the family store, and later buying extra copies to sell. Bu the time Samuel was twenty, the bookselling business has become so lucrative that it was split off into its own store, with Samuel running it. It was then that he met Helen Mackenzie, who had been hired to help run the new store. Samuel was smitten with Helen from their first meeting; thus began a long courtship, which finally ended with their marriage three years later.

Samuel and Helen continued to run the bookseller, which was successful enough for them to live quite comfortably. In 1869, they took a trip to Chicago, where Samuel witnessed a demonstration of a new device to automate the process of sewing books together; he studies the device, took copious notes, and when he returned to Missouri set out to design and build his own book-sewing machine. His progress was slowed a few months later when Helen gave birth to their first child, a girl named Susannah, after Samuel's mother. With a child to take care of, Helen had far less time to help in the shop, so Samuel put aside his invention for the time. Finally, five years later, he managed to complete his work. After that, he began offering custom-made books out of his store, something with attracted new, higher profile, clientele.

In the winter of 1877, Samuel was approached with a business offer. The railroad was being extended into the New Mexico Territory, to Santa Fe, and would soon run all the way to Los Angeles in California. Santa Fe was growing rapidly, and would soon be a major metropolitan city to rival St. Louis, and Samuel was offered a chance to capitalize on all of the new settlers and businesses that would soon be flooding into the area. This was an opportunity that Samuel could not let slip away; he finally had the chance to 'blaze a new trail' on the frontier...but with the security that soon enough he could bring his family to join him, in the comfort of a new city where they would not have to suffer the hardships that so many frontier families had in the past. It took some time, and involved many negotiations, but eventually arrangements were made; Samuel purchased a storefront just two blocks from where the train station was being built, and Helen's younger brother agreed to help run the bookseller - and would take it over once Helen and Susannah joined him in New Mexico. Samuel packed up his book-sewing machine and put it in a railcar, and set off for the Southwest in March of 1879.

Things started to go wrong before Samuel even made it to New Mexico. First was the news that the railroad had been rerouted; it would not stop in Santa Fe, but rather in another town about 20 miles south. Then, when he finally arrived at his new store, he found his book-sewing machine already there - but it had been damaged in the journey through the hills from the nearest station, and seemed nearly beyond repair. Finally, his would-be business partner, who still held all of deeds and permits for the new store, was nowhere to be found. Samuel found himself in a strange town, nearly a thousand miles from home, with only a few dollars in his pocket and no prospects for his future. He had spent nearly all his savings in preparations for this venture; he couldn't even afford a ticket home. Not that he could go home in any case...he could not bear to tell Helen that he had lost - no, worse than that, he had given away - all of their money.

At first, he was hopeful that he could repair his machine, and somehow continue with the original plan. But there seemed to be no one in New Mexico with the specialized parts he needed - and even if parts could be found, he had no funds with which to buy them. with his business venture failed before it even began, Samuel took whatever jobs he could find in and around Santa Fe, from working as a ranch hand to cleaning a saloon. All the time, he wrote home telling Helen that things were going well enough, but business was building slowly, and that he would send for them soon...and all the time, he held out hope that some miracle would occur that would allow him to reverse his fortune.

It was while cleaning the floors in a saloon one night that he overheard a group of men talking about a recent discovery on a ranch to the north; artifacts and other objects of great value. When he tried to listen more closely, the men clammed up and would say no more, but Samuel had already heard enough; he knew that this was the miracle he was counting on. Over the next several days, he gathered as much information as he possibly could about the discovery; he spoke to stage drivers and ranchers, he scoured the newspapers, he even sweet-talked the Western Union girl. And with every bit of information he unearthed, a plan formed and solidified.

He gathered that there were mounds scattered all over the countryside, only a scarce few of which had been dug into. It was said that they contained all manner of treasures, from ancient Indian artifacts to lost Spanish gold. Samuel had read dozens upon dozens of adventure novels as a boy, and he recognized the elements that made for a good story: exploits and discovery, treasure, danger! Samuel knew just what his childhood heroes would do in a situation like this, so he would do the same; he would undertake this great adventure to remake his fortune. And when his adventure was complete, he would send for Helen and Susannah, reopen his shop, and together they would sell copies of his own tale!

Armed with what knowledge he had gleaned from the townsfolk, and with his grand adventure firmly plotted out in his mind, Samuel set off for Rosehill.

PCs relationships:

Bethany Anna Margrave - Samuel can't help but notice Behtany's charms, and finds her easy to talk to...but he doesn't want to let himself get too close...

Daniel Tillerson - Danny seems to be very clever, and the type of person to be able to "figure stuff out". Hopefully they can work together for mutual benefit once they reach Rosehill.

Ahyoka Bisondaughter - Fascinating...a real live Indian! Is she anything at all like what is portrayed in the many books he's read? Samuel has so many questions, he doesn't know where to start...

Jonathan William Judd - Jonathan seems...sad. No, not sad, just...tired. Like his experiences have just sucked the life from him. Samuel wishes he could say something that would allow Jonathan to see the 'bright side' - but he doesn't have the words.

RP Sample:
...so I am awaiting the next shipment of paper before I can sew any more, and it will be a few more weeks after that before I see any profit. But if the Lord is willing, before summer ends I will have enough saved to send for you and Susannah.

I miss you both terribly, and hope, as always that you are well.
Samuel rubs the tears out of his eyes, lest they fall onto the page. It tears at his soul to lie to Helen, but he cannot bear to let her find out the truth - not this way. Once his fortunes have turned, and he can see her in person again; then he will tell her, because then it won't matter any longer...his family will be together again, and that will be the only thing that matters.

But before they can be together, he must reverse his fortune...and that means heading to Rosehill. If he gave it careful consideration, he would probably have to admit that it was the longest of longshots - so he carefully avoids that. There is no need, because this is going to be it! From what he has gathered, these mounds are everywhere up in that part of the country; all he needs is one to give up its treasures to him...

He was sorry to say good-bye to Rosie, but he needed the cash now, more than he needed an old mare. He was fortunate that Hal Carver took her back, and for the same price he had sold her for three months ago; Samuel reckoned that he had enough for the fare to Rosehill and two weeks' lodging - maybe three if he didn't eat much. He looks at the sum of his life's possessions stuffed into his satchel: a few changes of clothes, shaving kit, his toolkit - and the couple shelves full of books that he'll leave behind. He had tried to sell the books as well, but without luck.

"I'll take them off your hands, but I run a boarding house, not a bookstore."" Mabel Pierce, from whom Samuel had been renting a room these past months, was the only person who had shown any interest in them at all. "I suppose I can clear off a couple shelves in the dining room, and build myself a library...might be that I'll have some guests who enjoy reading as much as you, some day..."

He picks up the one book that he will not leave behind: four by six inches, just over an inch thick, bound in dark leather with no writing on the cover. It was the first book that he bound himself; the Holy Bible, of course. Opening it, he pulls out a small photograph of Helen and Susannah, taken just a week before he left for New Mexico. He turns it over, revealing two lipstick kiss marks, "so you can have kisses from us every night, daddy!" He presses his own lips to theirs, then slips the photo back into its place, marking a passage from Psalm 34:

The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

Carefully he places the Bible atop the rest of the items in his pack, then turns back to the table. He signs his name to the bottom of the letter and stuffs it into its envelope, grabs his pack, and heads out the door.

Familiarity with CoC: I played one game a couple years ago, using a prior version (can't recall which one).

Last edited by suburbanplankton; 05-29-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:23 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13351
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
left-aligned image

Name: Bethany Anna Margrave

Origin: Sante Fe, New Mexico

Physical description: Bethany (as she prefers to be called) is a tall, slender, fit woman with a pretty face and long blond hair. She wears her hair in an up-do unless she's feeling flirty, then lets it cascade down onto her shoulders. Always seen in a fancy yet revealing dress, she loves glamour, make-up, and jewelry. She's slender enough not to have to wear a corset but does sometimes anyway to accentuate her curves. Bethany wears a warm smile for everyone except the filthy or crude but is often just quietly observing the people around her. Years of training have led to her talking in a soft, sweet voice in all but the most dangerous situations. She believes that her legs are her best asset and displays them freely and often.

Personality: Despite outward appearances that are usually friendly, flirty, and warm, Bethany takes her job very seriously. She's seen plenty of other girls wash out and end up in the gutter. A natural people-pleaser, Bethany is concerned with the happiness of those around her much more than her own welfare. She draws a line at letting people abuse her but there's not a lot she won't do for somebody else's enjoyment. Some things are meant for private occasions only, but she doesn't mind playing the fool, singing and dancing for a crowd, or being friendly with a paying customer. In the end, she believes that she's alone and can only count on herself. Her professional talents are as honed as any gunfighter, just in a much softer and more subtle avenue.

PCs relationships (2 minimum): Bethany enjoys the company of Samuel Warren, who presents himself as a proper gentleman. He's a man she feels safe around and enjoys engaging him in light conversation.

Ahyoka Yanasageyá is somebody that Bethany really just doesn't understand. What woman would want to be anything like a man? Because she doesn't know how to interact with Ahvoka, Bethany is very intimidated by her.

Considering Daniel Tillerson's age and socio-economic status, Bethany views him as a potential client. Therefore, she makes an effort to make sure that he's happy and well taken-care-of.

Background:
Past: Charles Margrave and Mary Ellen Latimore were star-crossed lovers. He was a French soldier, stationed at Saint-Jean Fort in Quebec. Since he was a junior officer, he was forbidden from fraternizing with the local girls but he fell hard in love with a young nurse, Mary Ellen. While she tended his injuries after being bucked off a horse, they engaged in a quiet romance. When the head nurse caught wind of their relationship, she warned Mary Ellen to call it off and threatened to report Charles to his commanding officer. So, they did what any two young people who were madly in love would: they ran away together.

The American frontier seemed like the perfect place to disappear. In Sante Fe, New Mexico, they settled into a home, got married, and had a baby girl. They were set to live "happily ever after" and avoided their past for almost 15 years. Then some pinkertons tracked them down and arrested Charles for desertion to collect the bounty that the Canadian army had placed on him. Mary Ellen and her daughter were left to their own devices and both eventually ended up working in the local saloon.

Being a small fish in a big pond, Bethany knew that if she were ever going to be able to afford to maintain herself before her looks gave out, then she would have to seek a better opportunity. She exchanged letters with the proprietor of the saloon (and the sheriff) in Rosehill, and secured herself a job as the town's one and only saloon girl (after the last one disappeared suddenly).

Goals: Bethany works as a saloon girl, hoping to eventually save up enough money to retire. She's not fooling herself that simply working for a living will be enough, so she also moonlights as an informant for the local law enforcement. Her plan is to be a valuable asset to them by keeping tabs on the locals and sharing 'vital' information with detectives and sheriffs - to earn a reward for doing so.

Fears: Bethany is startled out of her bloomers by sudden, loud noises. Story has it that she's wet herself at the sound of a close gunshot or unexpected thunderclap. She's also a bit obsessed with oral hygiene and garbles with peroxide or baking soda several times per day, avoids tobacco, and smelly foods.

Weaknesses: Relying on her charm, Bethany never learned any skills with either weapons or fisticuffs.
Side noteI have no experience with Call of Cthulhu or the game rules. This will all be new to me.

Last edited by girlplay; 05-26-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2366
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Hi, I'm expressing my interest in the game:

Danny Tillerman, 19th century gonzo journalistName: Daniel Tillerman

Origin: Chicago, Illinois

Physical description: A thin, wiry white man with dark wavy hair, and (tragically) a receding hairline. He has dark brown eyes and a sharp nose decorated by a bushy mustache. He dresses moderately well, and is frequently seen with a pencil and writing pad in hand. His face has more frown lines than smile lines.

Personality: When working as a journalist he sounds and looks professional, asking insightful questions at a press conference, putting a witness at ease to get them to open up, wheedling his way into a record room he shouldn’t have access to. When his writing is going well he feels serene, almost joyous. He likes the company of others with large personalities or a strong presence, people that make him feel inspired to write and to take on the world. When his guard is down you can see Danny brooding with a cigarette and a shot glass (when he can afford it); his confidence is easily shaken. He still sees himself as an urchin from the wrong side of the tracks, and when he suffers setbacks he can become easily discouraged. If he is trying to put a story together and is suffering writer’s block then the man’s temper borders on the explosive.

PCs relationships (2 minimum): Ahyoka and Johnathan are likely to find Danny trying to get them to open up to him, as they seem made for stories and novels. Johnathan because he seems the archetypical western hero, Ahyoka because she is a larger than life western ‘anti-hero.’

Background:

Goals: Danny wants the fame, respect, and financial security that he believes comes with being a published novelist. A news story about anyone—or anything—that can get him printed in a major newspaper is what he believes will get him in the door with a publisher. If there isn't anything sensational about the archaeological find when he gets there, there will be by the time the story is printed.

Fears: It isn't that he doesn't have any sense of journalistic ethics, its that he is afraid of rejection and failure. Rejection of his articles and short stories, rejection by friends and love interests, afraid to be 'exposed' as a hack, afraid to face the family he left behind in Chicago, afraid of dying poor. So the truth is frequently a casualty of Danny's fears, in writing and in life.

Weaknesses: When Danny is frustrated with his writing, he becomes rude and confrontational--at best. Frustrations in other parts of his life cause him to act moody and depressed, particularly when he is on his own (which is most of the time). He has more curiosity then sense, and an unjustified belief that he can talk his way out of most problems.

Significant People: Mother, Esther Tillerman; youngest brother, Thomas (Danny's favorite); Minister Warren Tyler (former mentor); Gerald Lee, assistant editor, Chicago Tribune
Treasured Possessions: Portable typewriter, old bible (with advice written in by his mentor), picture of his family.

RP Sample:

Experience with CoC: None with 7th edition, lots with 2nd edition...30 years ago. Played at game convention one-shots over the years.

Last edited by Solitaire64; 05-27-2019 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Polishing the character application.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Good work with the applications so far.

If people could just let me know how familiar you are with the rules as well, it'd be helpful.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13827
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Name: Ahyoka Yanasageyá
Origin: Cherokee Tribe
Physical description: The first thing of note when you see her are the scars around her left eye. After a closer examination you would note that the eye itself is not a perfect match with the right one. Indeed it does not even seem to move when she loos left or right. Beyond the glass eye, Ahyoka has a single black braided ponytail of hair down to her shoulder blades. Her skin is a deep brownish red in color and she stands at nearly six feet in height. She wears men's trousers, hat, etcetera most of the time, but on occasion she will dress herself back up in more natural Cherokee garb with buckskins and soft leather moccasins.

Personality: Ahyoka does not bother to correct anyone who assumes she is a man. She is highly focused on any task she puts herself to often ignoring meaningless items in accomplishing her goals. She tends to be soft spoken with a slow temper. Even so, she will not accept or allow any disrespect towards her person or those of others around her. In such situations she begins with quiet words until things inevitably escalate. If there is something Ahyoka fears it is that the Great Spirit will no longer take her, that despite any of her actions after the war she will never truly be a good person.

PCs relationships (2 minimum):
Samuel Warren: he’s read a lot of books and seems to have a bit of a naive outlook on the world. He’s friendly and nice and also has a lot of questions. Ahyoka doesn’t mind speaking of the old days and how her tribe once was and he’s kind enough not to ask about the war. She likes that about him.

Bethany Margrave: kind, friendly, a bit flirty. Ahyoka has seen many women like her sporting a black eye or worse. Ahyoka does not know how to speak with her, but she stays at a distance and keeps an eye out. She will not allow her to get hurt.

Daniel Tillerson: He asks questions, many of them. He is much like Samuel, but perhaps not quite as kind. He can too easily get her to answer questions she’d prefer not to talk about. Things are better when he is at the bar.

Johnathan Judd: She can see it in his eyes. He’s seen some of the same things she has seen. His Union Army revolver is also a dead give away. She respects him and expects him to respect her as well.

John Lynch: He is from across the ocean. He speaks strangely and seems to be always working, always doing. never does he sit still for long. She wonders sometimes what spirit has him. If she were a medicine woman she could help him, but as it is she prefers to let him be. Avoid when possible, help him if asked.

Harvey Hickman: He seems respectful enough, but he also has an anger in him. Something that makes him act out with physical violence. She also keeps her distance from him. Unsure how to act that she will not incite his spirit of anger.

Background: When Ahyoka was born she was very big. As she grew older she grew tall and strong. She would turn towards pursuits typically deemed those of a young brave. There was little concern in her tribe and they accepted that she had been born with a different spirit. She learned all she could of hunting, using traditional weapons, and the like. Then when Ahyoka was seventeen the "white man's war" came. The war divided her people as well with the majority of them deciding to fight for the cause of the Confederates. At 17 she did not understand why this happened, nor did she understand the cause she simply joined the other braves and joined the Confederate cause. Ahyoka ended up being part of a group of braves who scalped and did horrific things to a Union force they came into contact with. Later she was captured and along with some of the others they learned they had been fighting for slavery. This revelation caused them to switch sides.

When the war was over she could not return to her people. Her chief had betrayed his braves. He had told them to fight against the Union and for enslavers. She had done horrible things in the name of a horrible cause and the people she had trusted helped her to make the decision to do that. Because of that she would never be able to trust the chief or the elders ever again. Because of that she would always worry about making sure she was doing the right thing. To always think and consider before she acted.

Over the years she has continued to live in the west as the Law. It is not a great living as she tends to find the poorer communities in need and to help them. When she is in desperate need of money she will also go and seek out a posted bounty. She has and will again hunt down the target on the sign, then kill them. There is some small measure of satisfaction in removing these threats from existence and helping small communities where she can, but it is not really enough to fill the emptiness inside.

Ideology/Beliefs:
- Good is rewarded and evil is punished by the spirits. Ahyoka believes, in many ways, that she will be punished for her actions during the war and that is why she continues to try and do good actions to appease the spirits.
- The river, or "Long Man," is sacred, she still goes to water for purification and other ceremonies.
- After a person dies, their his soul will live on as a ghost. Ghosts have the ability to materialize where some, but not all people, can see them.
- The Little People live in various places; rocky shelters, caves in the mountains or laurel thickets. They like drumming and dancing and they often help children who appear to be lost. Not just those geographically lost, but children who appear saddened and confused. They are also known to be quite mischievous at times. The Little People should be dealt with carefully, and it is necessary to observe some traditional rules regarding them.

Significant People:
Parents - Galilahi(m) and Unega(f)
Brothers: Woya (died of smallpox) Ahtoyi (killed in Civil War)
Sisters: Ahtsadi (Alive?)
Astoogahtogeh: Killed by Union Soldiers leading a Charge. Ahyoka and others avenged him by scalping Union Soldiers after the battle.

Meaningful Locations:
Cabin Creek, Mayes County Oklahoma: Captured by Union forces she and others learn they are fighting for slavery. Some, like Ahyoka, change sides.

Treasured Possessions:
Colt Army Model 1860: Given to Ahyoka by Union forces after she joined and began fighting for them.
Spencer Repeating Rifle: Taken from another Union Soldier who died next to her in combat during the Appomatox Campaign.
Civil War Union Campaign Medal: Given to soldiers who served the Union cause 1861 - 1865
U.S. Marshall Badge: Worn on her left breast and prominently displayed.

Familiarity with CoC: Played a few times here.

Last edited by Ysolde; 05-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1823
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Name: Jonathan William Judd
Origin: Five Points, New York, USA
Physical description: A wiry, aging man with drooping eyes that belie the intensity of his stare, Jonathan Judd has the appearance of a man holding himself together by sheer will. Light brown hair shot through with red highlights covers his head, cheeks, and chin, with his eyebrows more blonde - giving him a bit of a washed-out look. Though he holds himself erect when he stands, he still manages to look slumped from exhaustion. His voice, when he bothers to use it, is on the raspy side, soft enough to force some to lean closer to hear what he's saying. When he wishes to really use his voice, though, it's the powerful voice of a man accustomed to shouting orders across a battlefield. His ruddy complexion, green eyes, and red highlights betray his Irish heritage.

Personality: Jonathan has fought his entire life. Growing up in Five Points, NY, fighting for survival was a way of life, a simple fact in an otherwise dreary existence. He and his three brothers joined the military to escape the crippling poverty of his neighborhood, figuring the army wouldn't be any more dangerous than his current situation. For nearly a decade, he was right - stationed out west in California to defend settlers and fight the native warriors seemed a lot less risky than Five Points.

Then, the Civil War began.

His unit, the 69th New York Infantry (the "Fighting 69th Irish Brigade"), fought in some of the bloodiest and deadliest engagements than ever seen previously in history. He lost all his brothers during the war, the eldest at Gettysburg, the other two at Fredericksburg. Most of his brigade was killed, and the replacements sent to reinforce the brigade were killed. After that, Jonathan decided he'd had enough of the Army.

His only education was as a soldier, and he certainly had no desire to return to New York, so he went the other way. He discovered that towns were looking for veterans to serve as lawmen, and he traveled the country, sometimes settling in an area for a few years, other times simply passing through, restless and discontent, occasionally finding something of interest to pique his interest. Inevitably, however, he would feel an urge to move on, as if he were searching for something without knowing what it was. He'd seen enough bodies piled up, there was an unspoken need within him to find something substantial, something to justify or explain it all. Or at least something to blame.

One such interesting item was the discovery of a so-called "major archaeological find". Usually, Jonathan was about as studious as a rabid dog, but as he aged, he began to take an interest in curiosities, no matter the topic. This, in particular, jumped out at him, as surely as if someone had grabbed his newspaper and read the story in a shouting voice to him. New Mexico...not too far from where he was, all things considered. Something inside him prompted his wandering spirit again, except this time he actually had a goal, some sort of direction. Maybe this "major find" would provide some answers. Hell, if the rumors of El Dorado were true, maybe he'd even take up adventuring.

PCs relationships (2 minimum): Dislikes silly or frivolous people. He's also wary of anyone who fought for the South during the war, though he doesn't feel blind, unreasoning hatred. He wasn't too sure of that Cherokee woman at first, considering his actions before the war, but she seems pretty solid. Tough fighter, too, and Jon respected that. He feels a bond with Lynch, a fellow Irish New Yorker who enlisted for all the wrong reasons.

Ideology/Beliefs: Grown contemplative in recent years, since the war. His wild Irish spirit has been dampened by so much death, grief, and loss. His faith has taken a serious hit as well. Once a pious, if not particularly righteous, Irish Catholic, he now has decided that God has turned His back, so Jonathan does the same.

Significant People: Parents - Saul Judd and Mona Judd (nee’ Mitchell); brothers (deceased) Abraham, Matthew, and Gabriel (all younger) - Jonathan had them all assigned to the 69th with him, which he now deeply regrets - sisters Erin (died as an infant) and Michelle (married in New York).
Meaningful Locations: Five Points, NY. California. Fredricksburg, Gettysburg.
Treasured Possessions: Revolver from the Army. Pocketknife given to him by his brother Abraham after Fredericksburg.

RP Sample:

Please let me know how familiar you are with the rules. This will have no bearing on my selection, but will help me prepare better moving forward. I've read the quick-copy rules, that's about it.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive

Last edited by Andor; 05-29-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Bugger a CoC game and one run by Wodine, the old west is a nice touch too.....

Last edited by OneDarkness; 05-20-2019 at 09:52 PM.