twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5071
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
A Modern Adventure (Open to All)

This is going to be a freeform storytelling, skill-challenge based, simplistic adventure game set in modern times.

Storytelling: Imagination and writing is the key here. It is going to be a cooperative effort to making the story, but as the Game Master, I will guide the plot.
Freeform: You will be able to make up, and have some creative freedom, as to what the characters are going to do and how they will do it using their skills.
Skill-Based Challenge: This will mainly be done where I give a goal that needs to be obtained, how many checks you need for success and failure, and then you choose what skills the character will use and how they will apply it to the world.
Simplistic: There will be no heavy mechanics. It will be a d20 skill check + modifier that you have given your character. For anyone that knows RISUS game rules, it will be similar to character creation in that game, but the checks will be done like D&D checks.

Characters: Each character will start out with 15 points they can distribute to their skills however they see fit. Just note, that the more skills a character has the more versatile they will be, but the less effective they will be. As to the skills, well, that will be the fun part of the game. (As I mentioned RISUS) You will get to make up any skills that you would like that fit the idea of your character and they can be almost anything that you can think of that would fit the character.

Skill Challenges: Characters will be given a goal. They will have an order that they will go in, and they should post in that order what they are going to do. Since it is a storytelling venture, and I want to keep it faster paced, we will go with two characters going at a time and then I will update with what happens, so the next round of characters can react appropriately.

Rounds: Okay, since this is going to be open and with people hopefully jumping in and out, here is what I have planned. We are going to create 5 characters. These characters can be used by anyone that jumps in and posts, but like above in the Skill Challenge section, the characters have to take turns in order of initiative.

I guess the best way to describe how this works is to give an example.

So first 5 people to post get to make up the characters for this game and then I will give you the first skill challenge. Remember, after the challenge is posted, anyone can jump in and control any character and post their actions. One character's actions and the associated skill check per post please.

I hope someone bites...
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.

Last edited by Silent Tiger; 11-17-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48023
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Nibblenibblenibble.

So, we make up a character? Oh boy.

Randall the Veteran
Randall claims to have fought in Vietnam, and after his run-in with Charlie, was too mentally incompetent to keep down a job; so he's lived in seclusion, living off of inheritance and a Social Security check he doesn't know how to cash. The truth of the matter is that Randall signed up for Vietnam, but was deemed "mentally inept," and thus was not allowed entry into the War (it was declared over the next week anyway). Over the years, he's lived off the grid, eventually coming to believe his own lies, and thinks that something bigger is coming, something from "the feds."

Skills: Pistol-shootin' +4, Conspiracy Theories +4, Survivalism +5, Demolitions +2

Did I miss anything?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
Awesome. That is exactly correct way I wanted things done. I hope we get a few more bites...
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 247
cjanini09 cjanini09 cjanini09
This sounds really interesting, but I don't know if I really want to participate in the Open Roleplaying form of it. I might be interested in an actual game like this if you or someone else would be interested in running it. It would be a nice easy way to relax, but still have fun, in a game. Let me know if you'd be interested in running this officially!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know how having another thread will make this game more real and actual. Maybe stop people from jumping in and playing any character. But this is for relaxation and fun anyways. Something simple. Well, since there is little interest in making characters, perhaps I will make some and open it up a little. Sassafras, if you want to make another character, go ahead and do so. Maybe once we get the characters created, someone else will show interest, come in and play the game with us.

Character #2

Hairy Pawtur the Cat

Hairy Pawtur is a brown tortoiseshell cat who gained notoriety when his owner, a little boy, posted a picture on facebook saying that if he got 1000 likes, his dad would buy him a cat. He got 100,000 likes and thus, Hairy Pawtur was given to that little boy. Since then, that little boy has taken picture after picture of Hairy Pawtur to the interwebs and he has obtained some renown as a lolcat. Then the little boy's dad had Hairy Pawtur neutered, which dismayed Hairy Pawtur so he ran away.

Skills: Interweb Notoriety +6, Big-eyed Cuteness +4, Cat-like Reflexes +4, Nine-lives +1

Next!...

Last edited by Silent Tiger; 11-15-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 AM
"Not just a pretty face."
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14732
Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin
I guess I'll give it a shot...

Lydia the Gamer
Lydia mastered Pong before she learned to walk, and even Nintenhard always seemed a little too easy. Her skills eventually lead to her becoming a professional gamer, but it was short lived thanks to a jealous ex and some sabotage involving cheating devices. Framed as a cheater, she was universally banned out of professional gaming and now spends her time flunking college, trying to get a job that makes use of her unique talent set (finding real-world applications for her skills ain't easy, and she won't settle for just flippin' burgers!), and, well, gaming.

Skills: Resource-management +3, Alterantively: Twitch Reflexes +4Twitch Monkey +4, Prioritizing +3, Memorization +3, Computer-Savvy +2
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 247
cjanini09 cjanini09 cjanini09
I didn't mean to offend or anything. I just meant like a game that has a set group of players, ya know? Sorry about that.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
No offense taken. My intent was to maximize the fun for the most players possible. I thought opening it up like this would be good, instead of just having a few players.

Anyone that wants to come and play to try things out is free to do so, no obligations to stay.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Syd the Bartender

A former semi-pro baseball player, as he constantly reminds anyone who will listen, Sam was forced to give up a possibly successful career as catcher with the Richmond Flying Squirrels when he tore a major muscle. Which one it is seems to change with each telling of the story, but research into the team's history does reveal his name on the roster for a few seasons. After having to give up his lifelong dreams of becoming a famous baseball player, Syd fell heavily into the bottle. He began spending more time at the local pub than at his home. Eventually accruing a tab enormous enough to flatten an elephant, the pub owner finally decided enough was enough, and told him to pay up or work it off. Out of dough, Syd was forced to begin working as a bartender, which he quickly discovered he had a natural propensity for. He remains there to this days, pouring drinks, wiping counters, and listening to the trials and tribulations of the regulars, his only real friends.

Skills: Knowledge Alcohol +7, Bat Swinging +3, Feign Interest +1, Catching and Throwing +4

Last edited by abc123; 11-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Just to remind/reiterate: all the characters will be available for anyone who comes along to run or play so please do not become too attached. I hope running it this way will speed up game play. Also, be respectful to the person who made the character and do not purposefully run that character outside of the guidelines/background that creator posted...

Here is the last character...

Red Shirt Trekkie

No one knows this girl's name. There is only rumor which goes like this: it all happened at TrekkieCon. Red Shirt was happily wandering the displays alone when she happened upon Leonard Nemoy. Red Shirt got so excited that she accidentally dumped Leonard's coffee all over him. When he said some choice words to her, she had a mental breakdown. She now believes that she is actually living in a Star Trek episode.

Skills: Anonymity +3; Kirk Kung-Fu +3; Sacrifice Yourself +3, Follow Orders +3, Sci-Fi Trivia +3

Randall the Veteran, Hairy Pawtur the Cat, Lydia the Gamer, Syd the Bartender, and Red Shirt Trekkie
Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
SCENE 1
________

The cold is what wakes the group first. One by one they regain consciousness and sit up. No one can remember what happened to them or how they got here. Speaking of which, where was here? Looking around, the group soon determines that they are in the back of a refrigerated semi trailer. Luckily they do not seem to be moving. Unluckily the rear door seems to be locked. The only thing that they can see are the cases upon cases of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream stacked against the walls. There is a box of Cherry Garcia. There are a few cases of Chunky Monkey. The list goes on and on, but the question remains, how will they get out?

ChallengeGoal: Escape the Ice Cream Truck of Doom.

Conditions: 8 successes to win, 3 failures to lose. Skill checks will be set at 10.

Initiative:
Dice Randall the Veteran, Hairy Pawtur the Cat, Lydia the Gamer, Syd the Bartender, and Red Shirt Trekkie:
d20 19
d20 18
d20 13
d20 13
d20 1

Strangely enough, the order will be Randall the Veteran, Hairy Pawtur the Cat, Lydia the Gamer, Syd the Bartender, and lastly Red Shirt Trekkie.

Everyone can now feel free to jump in a take a turn using the next character, just remember to try to stay in order.. So the next person to post should post actions for Randall the Veteran. The post after that Hairy Pawtur the Cat.

Last edited by Silent Tiger; 11-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 389
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
"Goddammit! The feds finally caught up with me!" Randall exploded, jumping up, and beginning to pace. His eyes darted wildly around the room, taking in each of the other prisoners, and their general surroundings, as his fractured mind tried to piece together some reason they were all stuck there.

Dice Conspiracy Theories:
d20+4 (8)+4 Total = 12
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
(Nice work. That is how it is done!)

Randall thought hard about what he had learned on those secret internet pages known only to die hard conspiracy theorists. He reviewed them one by one until he realized what had to have happened. The group must be part of some government military psych testing. He remembered one article of how the government captured civilians and placed them into some sort of situation where they had to get over being strangers and work together to solve problems. These others must be the ones the government wanted him to work with. He realized that he better play along until he could figure out how to get out of the test.

"Looks like the feds expect us to work together, which means we each got talents to overcome this test, so there is a way out." With Randall's encouragement, the others felt more apt to escape this strange prison.

[Successes 1/8: Failures 0/3]

Last edited by Silent Tiger; 11-18-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48023
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Harry Pawtur doesn't know what an ice cream truck is; he knows it does not watch him on "Thee Interwebz," or whatever it was The Child called it. It was clearly a gigantic steel beast, with a mouth on its side where men walked up and down it, in and out freely; he wondered why the Giant Metal Ice Machine did not eat the Humans. They must not taste good, Harry decides: a good note for the future, if he must turn to such a harsh meat for sustenance. The thought of food makes him miss his rich wet "Cat Chow," whatever that is. But By the Nine Lives, it was so good! Rich and creamy, with flavors he has since dreamed of every night!

But escape is the name of the game, and Harry is a master of escape. He Can Haz Cheesburger, and Can Haz Proper Escapes Plz? Oh yes. Yes he can. Twice.

Dice Cat-like Reflexes!:
1d20+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Hairy Pawtur decides that he doesn't like the enclosed space and attempts to effect an escape by jumping from box to box. However, as he is leaping, he comes upon a spilled container of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. Part of it has melted over the floor and Hairy comes to a complete stop, his nose sniffing the puddle. Abandoning his attempt, he bends his head and starts licking up the mess, his attention effectively distracted.

[Success 1/8; Failure 1/3]

Last edited by Silent Tiger; 11-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.