twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Meschie
<sees light at the end of the tunnel> And so it begins...
Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4347
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Is there still time to get in one more app? Pleeeeaaaaassse.

Moriko
right-aligned image
Name: Moriko
Race: Human
Class: Monk (Unchained if allowed)(Flowing Monk Archetype)
Alignment: NG
Social Class: As a monk from a secluded shrine in the mountains, Moriko exists outside of the standard class structure, though she would probably have more in common with the lower class than the aristocracy.

Appearance: Everything about Moriko’s appearance exudes a childlike innocence. Her short stature causes many to believe that she is younger than her years. Combined with the slightness of her frame, this often leads others to underestimate her. Certainly few would ever suspect the strength that lies behind her seemingly delicate and lithe limbs.

Moriko dresses simply and modestly in the unadorned robes of the ascetic. This mode of dress and her smoothly shaven head might almost cause one to mistake her for a young boy, were it not for the simple beauty in the soft, round features of her face and her piercing ice-blue eyes. While nearly everything else about her appearance seems common and unimpressive, those eyes draw focus in a startlingly captivating manner, at once conveying both wide-eyed naive wonder and a penetrating wisdom beyond her years.

Personality: Moriko is deeply naive due to her sheltered existence in the monastery. She is guileless herself and cannot fathom why anyone would ever say something other than what they mean. She is incurably optimistic. Having never encountered evil within the confines of the monastery, she truly believes that all people are good at heart. She realizes that there is much she does not know about the outside world, and therefore attributes any conflict to a basic misunderstanding that must be resolved. Moriko is also insatiably curious. She knows it is her duty for now to explore and learn more of the outside world, and she hopes to do so. She looks upon all the unfamiliar minutia around here with a sense of awe and wonder.

Despite her intense martial arts training, Moriko is actually something of a pacifist. The belief system instilled upon her at the monastery centered around seeking harmony with nature. To her, all living things are worthy of respect and deserving of their lives. The thought of intentionally taking the life of another is appalling to her. When she must fight, she will always seek to disarm and/or incapacitate before doing lethal harm.

Background: This is the story of Moriko, but it begins with Moriko’s mother.

There was once a young priestess, a miko in her village. She performed the rites to honor the ancestors and to appease the spirits. She tended to the needs of the villagers and oversaw important ceremonies. She was honored and adored by the villagers … perhaps adored too much.

The priestess was beautiful and she had many suitors, but she refused all suitors who came before her. Soon the villagers began to talk. How could it be that the beautiful young priestess had not taken a husband? Rumors spread that she had lain with a spirit. When the young priestess grew large with child and no man of the village claimed responsibility, the villagers decided that their suspicions were confirmed. For laying with a spirit, the young priestess was driven out of the village with little more than the clothes on her back.

Friendless and penniless, the young priestess began the long trek up Mt. Nagareru, hoping to seek sanctuary in the monastery at its peak. Sadly, the young girl was greatly weakened in her condition and the winds atop the mountain were harsh and cruel.

One morning, as Master Chien walked along the path from the monastery, something caught his eye, something out of place. A flash of bright scarlet cut across the winter white of the snow, like a fresh wound gouged into the face of the mountain. As he approached, he immediately recognized the ceremonial robes of the miko, though he did not recognize the girl within them, slumped as she was against the side of a tree. He also recognized that there was nothing he could do for her; her light had clearly left to walk among the spirits of her ancestors. His heart ached for a moment when he observed the bitter irony: had she walked but 50 yards more, she would have seen the monastery, half a league and she could have lain her hands upon its gates.

Master Chien was just reminding himself that this was the way of nature, that all lives must pass in their way, when he was startled by a tiny sound not unlike the cooing of a dove. Drawing near, he caught sight of what he had missed before - cradled in the arms of the frozen priestess was the tiny infant she had borne, her last breath becoming the child’s first.

Master Chien’s heart wept as he lifted the babe into his arms. “You shall be called Moriko,” he said, “for you are a child of the forest.”

Moriko was taken back to the monastery where she was raised, the only girl among a compound of men. Moriko quickly learned the ways of the monks, mastering their teachings and their arts. It came easily to her, having never known any other way.

Moriko never knew anything of her true parentage. Not only did it never occur to her to ask, it never even occurred to her that there was anything to ask. Having lived her entire life in the monastery under the tutelage of the monks, she remained blissfully unaware of the outside world ... that is, until the day that High Master Shiro told her she must leave.

RP Sample:“Mori-chan, please sit.”

Moriko sank to her knees upon the floor to sit on her heels, her body descending as smoothly and gracefully as the snowfall on the mountain.

“Mori-chan, please pour the tea.”

Moriko nodded and reached for the kettle on the low table before her. Balancing the handle of the kettle in the crook of the fingers of one hand, she gently cupped her other hand under the kettle’s spout, applying just enough pressure to tilt it, sending a smooth stream pouring out, first into High Master Shiro’s cup, then into her own.

“You are, perhaps, wondering why I have summoned you before me today,” High Master Shiro began. It was true. Moriko’s eyes briefly met those of the High Master. She was usually able to sense the feeling that lay behind another’s eyes, but today the High Master was inscrutable. Aware that others often found the penetrating gaze of her ice-blue eyes to be unsettling, Moriko glanced downward so as not to show disrespect to the High Master.

“I have met with your teachers. Master Kai speaks very highly of your progress in your exercises. He tells me that you have mastered forms which elude Masters with twice your years. He also tells me …”

Moriko truly meant to listen to all that High Master Shiro had to say, but as the ancient master continued to speak, his words began to blend together in her ears until they resolved into a dull but persistent drone, not unlike the buzzing of the cicadas in summer. Her attention was irresistibly drawn to the details of her surroundings. She watched the ripples form on the surface of High Master Shiro’s teacup as he set it down upon the low table. She watched the sunlight that reflected off of those ripple to form dappled patterns upon the ceiling. Out across the courtyard, she watched as a young squirrel danced upon the limb of a cherry tree. There was much to be learned from the grace of the squirrel as he delicately leapt along the tree branch, never once disturbing the soft blanket of snow that lay heavily on the ends of the same branch. Moriko began to wonder if she too could move with the light steps of the squirrel. She watched intently, committing ever move of its muscles to her memory. Suddenly the squirrel stopped and raised its head, its ears twitching back and forth. Had it felt her gaze, or was it simply scanning for dangers, ever alert to its surroundings, always attentive to …

“Moriko! Are you even listening to me?!?”

The young monk sat bolt-upright, her spine straight as a bamboo pole and her eyes snapping forward, locking on a point directly ahead of her. She did not dare to answer the question. To say no would be a grave sign of disrespect, yet to answer yes would not be entirely truthful, and therefore disrespectful in itself.

After a brief pause, the ancient master continued, “As I was saying, it comes as no surprise that Master Chien speaks well of you. However, Master Kazé has expressed some concerns. While he acknowledges your ability to articulate the teachings is satisfactory, he tells me that your focus on your studies can at times be …”

Moriko tried desperately to keep her focus directed on the ancient master’s words, but could not help noticing the squirrel once again. Even as it sat perfectly still, only its ears darting back and forth alert for signs of potential predators, it was unaware of its brother squirrel - equally silent though clearly not as light-footed - climbing along the branch above, his less careful tread dislodging a clump of snow. Moriko struggled to suppress her laughter as the soft pillow of snow landed squarely on the first squirrel’s unsuspecting head.

“Mo-ri-ko.” High Master Shiro spoke firmly, but calmly, snapping the young monk from her reverie and pulling attention back to the conversation, hoping she had missed nothing important, “It is time for you to leave the monastery.”

“What?”
Moriko blurted out, the sudden revelation hitting her exactly as a lump of cold snow might strike an unsuspecting squirrel upon the head. Unlike many of the other monks who had come to the monastery at their own time and of their own choosing, Moriko had spent her entire life within its walls. Her only knowledge of the outside world came from the books which Master Kazé insisted she read and transcribe, and which could never truly hold her attention. “I don’t understand.”

“I know,” the aged master replied, “and that is why you must go.”

Moriko paused to absorb this and weighed her next question more carefully before replying. “If it pleases the venerable master, will this one be returning?”

“Perhaps.”

“And may this one have knowledge of when she may return?”

Master Shiro paused. This time it was he he gazed deeply into Moriko’s eyes. “When Mori-chan understands why she must go, then, perhaps, she may return.”

Moriko nodded silently. She had pondered enough of them in her time at the monastery to know a riddle when she was presented with one.

“Moriko will have many more questions, more than even she realizes at this time, but the answers will not come from this one. It is time for her to go and seek the answers herself.”

“Thank you, venerable ancient master,”
Moriko intoned as she bowed her head solemnly. In a single, smooth movement she rose nimbly to her feet, any rustle her robes may have made muffled as a whisper lost on the back of a hurricane.

“One more thing, Mori-chan,” Master Shiro interrupted Moriko as she made to leave. The young girl turned back to see the aged master holding out a long shakujo staff. As Moriko grasped the shaft of the staff, its four brass rings released a gentle jingling that carried softly across the open courtyard. “My last gift to to you, so that the squirrels will know that you are coming.”

Last edited by rhaiber; 05-31-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
JackSpratt JackSpratt JackSpratt
Welcome Rhaiber! Just in under the wire!

I truly enjoyed Moriko's introduction!

They are all great submissions. It's going to be an incredibly difficult task tomorrow picking only four...

As I contemplate Moriko's potential fit into the story, here's a question: Is Moriko leaving the monastery now to begin her experience of the outside world with this particular adventure or has she already left a while ago and had several experiences since then before starting this adventure? (This isn't a make-it-or-break-it kind of question. I'm just curious as I consider how I would weave her into the beginning of the story.)

Last edited by JackSpratt; 05-31-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:07 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4347
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratt View Post
Welcome Rhaiber! Just in under the wire!

I truly enjoyed Moriko's introduction!

They are all great submissions. It's going to be an incredibly difficult task tomorrow picking only four...

As I contemplate Moriko's potential fit into the story, here's a question: Is Moriko leaving the monastery now to begin her experience of the outside world with this particular adventure or has she already left a while ago and had several experiences since then before starting this adventure? (This isn't a make-it-or-break-it kind of question. I'm just curious as I consider how I would weave her into the beginning of the story.)
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to write.

As for your question: I like the idea of Moriko being incurably naive and seeing the whole world through fresh eyes. In my mind she would've spent as little time outside the monastery as possible. I would explain her 5th level status as just the result of really intensive training under the Masters. However, if you prefer all the characters to have some real adventuring experience to justify their level, then I'd be fine saying she's been doing the wandering monk think for a little while (just not so long as to rub off her fresh-faced innocence).

Last edited by rhaiber; 05-31-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18507
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Here is my submission, for your reading pleasure. I know my odds are small so late in your process, but here it is nonetheless. I present to you:

left-aligned image

Race: Half-OrcSacred Tattoo: Many half-orcs decorate themselves with tattoos, piercings, and ritual scarification, which they consider sacred markings.
Half-orcs with this racial trait gain a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws. This racial trait replaces orc ferocity.

Dragon Sight: Half-orcs with this trait gain some of the keen senses of dragonkind. They have darkvision with a range of 120 feet.
This replaces darkvision and intimidating.

Shadowhunter: Characters with this trait deal 50% weapon damage to incorporeal creatures when using non-magical weapons
(including natural and unarmed attacks), as if using magic weapons. They also gain a +2 bonus on saving throws to remove negative
levels, and recover physical ability damage from attacks by undead creatures at a rate of 2 points per ability score per day
(rather than the normal 1 point per ability score per day). Half-orcs can take this trait in place of weapon familiarity.
Class: Fighter 2 / Unchained Monk 3
Archetype: Eldritch Guardian / Weapon Adept
Alignment: Lawful-Good
Traits: Fate's Favored (Religion)The fates watch over you.

Benefit: Whenever you are under the effect of a luck bonus of any kind, that bonus increases by 1.
*; Dirty Fighter (Combat)Benefit: When you hit a foe you are flanking, you deal 1 additional point of damage (this damage is added to your base damage, and is multiplied on a critical hit). This additional damage is a trait bonus.*; Adopted (Human)You were adopted and raised by someone not of your race, and raised in a society not your own.

Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents’ race.
*; Carefully Hidden (Social)Your life as a member of an unpopular ethnic group has given you an uncanny knack for avoiding detection.

Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Will saves and a +2 trait bonus to saving throws versus divination effects.

Drawback: ScarredAn injury left you horribly, visibly scarred, making it more difficult for you to hide your true face, and also making most people distrustful of you merely due to your appearance.

Effect: You take a –5 penalty on Disguise checks and a –2 penalty on Bluff checks.

Feats: [1] Possessed HandYou’ve made a peaceful and permanent bargain with a ghost, spirit, or outsider. It possesses your hand, guiding and aiding you in exchange for help in return.

Benefit(s): You attract a ghost, spirit, or outsider with personal motivations to possess your hand. This usually involves some sort of mutually beneficial pact or agreement. Your possessed hand helps you in numerous ways, but its periodic, uncontrolled antics are distracting; you take a permanent –2 penalty on concentration checks once you gain this feat.

Any attack you make with a one-handed weapon, light weapon, unarmed strike, or natural attack with your possessed hand gains a +1 insight bonus on the attack roll and damage roll. You also gain a +1 insight bonus on Disable Device and Sleight of Hand checks. Once per day as a swift action, you can retrieve any stowed object you carry on your person, provided the object weighs no more than 5 pounds.
*; [3] Hand's AutonomyYour possessed hand can act independently.

Prerequisite(s): Possessed Hand.

Benefit(s): You reduce the penalties for fighting with two weapons (including fighting with double weapons or when throwing weapons from each hand) by 2, to a minimum penalty of –1. This benefit stacks with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. When you are unconscious, paralyzed, asleep, or stunned, your possessed hand can still act on your behalf in a limited fashion. The hand uses your statistics when performing any action in this manner. The hand can’t take attacks of opportunity, but can draw attacks of opportunity from actions it takes. The hand can perform the following actions each turn on your initiative count.

The hand can retrieve or pick up an item or weapon as a standard action.
The hand can attempt any of the following skill checks at a –4 penalty: Disable Device, Escape Artist, Heal, Sleight of Hand, or Use Magic Device.
The hand can knock you prone as a free action, and drag you while you’re prone at a speed of 5 feet as a full-round action.
The hand can perform any other action appropriate for a hand and an arm, such as pouring a held potion into your mouth or awakening you from a sleep spell.
The hand can make a single melee or ranged attack with a light or one-handed weapon as a full-round action.
*; [UnMonk 1] Improved GrappleYou are skilled at grappling opponents.

Prerequisite: Dex 13, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a grapple combat maneuver. In addition, you receive a +2 bonus on checks made to grapple a foe. You also receive a +2 bonus to your Combat Maneuver Defense whenever an opponent tries to grapple you.

Normal: You provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a grapple combat maneuver.
*; [Unmonk 1] Perfect StrikeWhen wielding a monk weapon, your attacks can be extremely precise.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, base attack bonus +8.

Benefit: You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). You must use one of the following weapons to make the attack: kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, and siangham. You can roll your attack roll twice and take the higher result. If one of these rolls is a critical threat, the other roll is used as your confirmation roll (your choice if they are both critical threats). You may attempt a perfect attack once per day for every four levels you have attained (but see Special), and no more than once per round.

Special: A weapon master monk or zen archer monk receives Perfect Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. A monk may attempt an perfect strike attack a number of times per day equal to his monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels he has in classes other than monk.
*; [UnMonk 2] DodgeYour training and reflexes allow you to react swiftly to avoid an opponents’ attacks.

Prerequisite: Dex 13.

Benefit: You gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC. A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus to AC also makes you lose the benefits of this feat.
*; [Weapon Master 2] Weapon Focus (Nine-Section Whip)Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for the purposes of this feat.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with selected weapon, base attack bonus +1.

Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.
*; [5] Hand's DetachmentYour possessed hand can painlessly pull free of your body or reattach itself, leaving you with a bloodless but raw-looking stump at the end of one arm while the hand itself performs remote tasks under your command, acting in many ways like a strange familiar.

Prerequisite(s): Hand’s Autonomy, Possessed Hand.

Benefit(s): You can remove your possessed hand, allowing the possessing spirit to animate and control its motion.

Removing or reattaching your possessed hand is a full-round action. This deals no damage to you, but you can’t use the hand while it is removed. The hand acts as a wizard’s familiar, using your character level as your effective wizard level, except it doesn’t gain the alertness, share spells, deliver touch spells, spell resistance, or scry on familiar abilities. Use the statistics for a crawling hand to represent the detached hand, save that the hand isn’t undead, doesn’t have the mark quarry ability, and shares your alignment. If the hand is destroyed, the spirit regenerates your missing hand in 2d4 days. This process can be accelerated by regenerate or similar magic. You cannot use the Possessed Hand feat or any feat with the Possessed Hand feat as a prerequisite until the hand is fully regenerated.

If you have the familiar class feature, you can choose for your possessed hand to become your familiar, granting it all familiar abilities as normal. If selected as a familiar, your possessed hand grants you a +3 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks.

Starting Stats
STR: Base 16; Racial +2;18; DEX: 12; CON: 12; INT: 8; WIS: Base 15, level +116; CHA: 7

Old 06-01-2019, 03:57 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
JackSpratt JackSpratt JackSpratt
Well, here we are! Finally at the end of a very long week.

Thank you everyone for all your amazing character submissions! You did not make this easy for me!

I tried to pick a party of four that were not only interesting characters but also ones that would be well rounded as a group and work together well for the specific adventure they are about to embark on.

For these reasons, I’d like to invite the following players to follow me over to the game thread to begin fleshing out the details of the party.
  • Yoma Ten-Devils (Runetide)
  • Jaelin Rynn (Mrjoegangles)
  • Onin Osmaplite (Kshnik)
  • Moriko (Rhaiber)
Link to the game thread.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their time and character concepts. I’m sure it will get easier over time, but for now, it was not easy for me to pass up on so many great concepts and amazing storytellers! Hope to see you in a future game!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1076
Jaling Jaling Jaling Jaling Jaling Jaling Jaling Jaling
Congrats guys! Good luck on the game!