RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 183
SalmonMax SalmonMax
Any room for a windling sword-wielding type?? What's the party composition?

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2809
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Party composition is on the second post.

Human wizard
Windling Scout
T'skrang swordmaster
Dwarf Weaponsmith
Elf Troubadour (being NPC'd)
Old 06-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax
Aw shucks, a windling a scout and a swordmaster already spoken for.

Zounds!

I will consider options.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Do you know what's better than a Swordmaster?

TWO SWORDMASTERS!!!

Seriously, don't be afraid to 'double up' on a discipline.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hm! Well, I'll just go with my gut then, and let you guys decide if it'll work.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax

Name: Seelia Nishnocket
Race: Windling
Discipline: Swordmaster

Description: A diminutive slip of a windling lass, clad in mousehide leathers with a rat-skull helmet, bearing a sword of minutely hammered steel that shines like silver, Seelia is an impressive figure for someone coming up to a human knee. She has long raven-black hair that shimmers with rainbow reflections when light hits it just right, and wide-eyed, round-cheeked youthfulness clinging to her slightly freckled face. Her eyes shimmer like eyeballs in their sockets, only red.

Backstory: There aren't many windlings in the Kaer, and Seelia has been bouncing off the walls and ceilings since she's been born. Before, really, if you count her mom. Her first tussles with rats and puppies were the stuff of LEGEND. She still crows about how she vanquished the EVIL TOMCAT of Pauldron Way...though some whisper that the hoary netherbeast still stalks her, seeking revenge. Most of the aimless drawings on the ceiling of the Kaer owe their existence to her attempts to make a sky for everyone, using old books as references. Those same old books also filled her head with stories of an older, better time...out in the open air, when heroes in gold mail clashed with villains of towering might and laid them low. She did what she could to live in those days, copying the maps onto bigger stretches of parchment with painstaking care that defied her usual meandering mind. Even so, the chance to see the world for REAL...that was something she couldn't pass up for ANYTHING. Horrors QUAKE IN YOUR HORROR-BOOTS...SEELIA NISHNOCKET'S COMING FOR YOU!

Hopes and dreams:
1) Get out of the Kaer.
2) Do lots of really amazing stuff and make sure everyone knows about it!
3) ...
4) Profit?
5) ...oh yeah, and save the world or something too!

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:38 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
gwythion
This sounds pretty great! I saw this game before and was wishing I had spotted it soon enough to apply... I love Earthdawn! One of the first rpgs I played, way back in first ed.

Should the new characters also be from the Kaer, just lagging behind for some reason? And how much 3rd ed stuff is included (such as Journeyman or other stuff from Namegivers of Barsaive)?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Ianos
Earthdawn is my favorite system. I have played and GMed a lot of campaigns (1st ed) although the last one was about 15 years ago . Still, I would love to get back into it - I have all the 1st edition books and all the 4th edition as well although I haven't played the 4th ed yet and I am not clear on the differences.

If you are still looking for players I would love to participate. So here is my application:

Name/race/Discipline of course, and a picture as well.

Georde Vual
Human Nethermancer

Why does the character wish to be part of the expedition?
He never truly felt at home there. He has already learned everything he could here. This expedition is his chance to learn things that he could never learn in a small Kaer like Barrow.

What did their family do before the Scourge?
His family were traders from Travar. They were forced to remain here when Travar was sealed, like the four magicians from House Archura.

What did their family do during the Scourge (While many were miners, many more worked in supporting roles in the community)?
His family worked mostly as miners since they entered the Kaer althoiugh he never worked as one.

What are the character's greatest dreams and aspirations?
Knowledge is his greatest aspiration. Magic especially that related to spirits and the Netherworlds is his passion.

What are the character's most deeply held and sheltered fears?
As a Nethermancer he is part of the people maintaining the Kaer's defenses. This has instilled a great sense of responsibility in him and subsequently a great fear of failing. Failure in anything he perceives as his expertise, is his greatest fear.

Did they know any of the people who sacrificed themselves to the BloodWard Tree
His shame at not having any family members having sacrificed themselves is slightly balanced out by his contribution in the defenses as a Nethermacer.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, there is some confusion. The current group that you'll be joining is from a still-sealed kaer. There can be some retcon where you guys were part of another expedition that is just a few days behind the campaign group, maybe got roped into joining a crazed Troll Warrior named Ba'kri and a pair of ork brothers he was also going to be with. If you want to, then I'll have you guys 'catching up' after ditching Ba'kri and the orks (they weren't very pleasant folk).

Otherwise, you can be just regular ol' Scourge-free Barsavians running into some fresh from the kaer yokels. Your choice.

The application procedure is a little different for the additions. Just name, race, Discipline, description, RP sample. Standard fare for this forum.

Last edited by Karhald; 06-12-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
gwythion
Are we not allowed to use the other app? Or just as something for ourselves to build the character? I like the idea of going with the wrong expedition, it works well for the idea I have.

I will be writing up an elven elementalist tonight.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
gwythion
Name: Aesindira

Race: Elf

Discipline: Elementalist

Description: An attractive, well-liked young elf, she prefers to stay in the background, listening to other people's stories most of the time, trying to understand how the universe fits together. She eschews the typical elven air of superiority, which made her friends among the most of the kaer but not in the elven community. Her attitude of openness and naivete gets her into trouble sometimes, but she always manages to sidestep the worst of the consequences through resourcefulness, the help of her friends, and sheer luck.

Backstory: An Elementalist, she was apprenticed to Elder Waai'Tosh because of her family's high status in the elven community and her talent for magic. She should have finished her apprenticeship years ago, but she's always been most interested in hearing Waai'Tosh's stories from long ago, and her studies suffered as she was often able to trick him into telling long stories about the old times, when he should have been teaching her magic. However, she did eventually finish her training, and she was expected to take her place in the Elven community, and shake off the egalitarian folly of youth. Instead, she decided to escape those dreary duties, help out one of her best friends, and take the greatest opportunity for adventure she could imagine.

Hopes and Dreams:
She loves to listen to other peoples' stories, and the chance to hear any not set in Caer Darrow will thrill her.
She wants to forge her own legend, to live an amazing life, and to be able to tell her own story and keep people enthralled for hours with the excitement of it.
She wants to learn everything she can about the outside world and how the Universe fits together.
And she really hopes she won't get eaten by a horror. Or anything else. Sure, everyone hopes that, but she really, really doesn't want to get eaten.

Roleplaying:
What had she gotten herself into? She'd known Bak'ri was rough, but she'd thought with understanding and patience he would rise to positive expectations and be his best self. But, no. Things kept getting worse and worse. But still, she didn't regret her decision...
"Sindi, what am I going to do about Bak'ri?" Flik had been almost crying in terror, "He says I have to go with them. He told the elders I wanted to go, so now I can't even say no! Please, you always know what to do! Tell me!" The dwarf was wringing his hands now, and the dam of tears had burst down his cheeks, "He called me a coward! And... worse things..."

She hugged her friend, holding him tight, and whispered in his ear. Knowing this might be the last conversation she'd have with him. "I'll take care of it, ok? I've always dreamed of escaping the Kaer, but you belong here, taking care of the people. I'll come over later with a bottle of my special tonic, ok? It's going to knock you out, so make sure you're in bed when you drink it. I'll leave a note, that I took your place. I'll make sure what I write makes my father blame Bak'ri and me, and he won't even realize the connection with you. You just tell them you drank too much of my new brew and when you went to meet Bak'ri he was gone already. I'll make sure as many people as possible have the same story - I have a really tasty and potent recipe, that I don't use often."

Flik looked up at her, his voice squeaking in relief. "Really? You'd do that for me? But you know... Bak'ri and them... they're not exactly the nicest people... are you going to be ok?"

"Don't worry," she said, "I can handle them. And they won't give a thought to finding you, they just want a spellcaster along, I'm sure they won't care who it is."
Well... she'd been wrong about handling them. The bullying had started early and been unrelenting. It was starting to get a dark edge to it, too. It was high time she left them to their own devices...

Once again, alchemy saved the day. OF COURSE Bak'ri expected her to cook every night. Well, at least she got to eat food she knew. But the way he asked... she shuddered, and stroked her ears.

Well, she could guarantee the hangover would be the worst any of he had ever experienced. She felt the tips of her ears again. Healing or no, the pain and humiliation hadn't faded yet. She could do a lot worse than just make him sleep for twelve hours and wake up with splitting headaches... part of her wanted to... but that would not be a good way to start the story off.

As she prepared to leave, she was shocked, and panic-stricken, to see that one of the brothers was awake. But his first few words put her mind at ease. By the end, she was saddened, saying, "Best fortune to you. I truly hope you and your brother will be well."

So she hefted her pack, and walked into the forest, leaving the snoring brute behind her forever. Hopefully.

To the Universe, she thought, Let my mercy be the coin that buys me a fortunate path. Please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aesindira.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	80649  

Last edited by gwythion; 06-20-2019 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Updated to match the story
Old 06-16-2019, 10:30 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for the apps so far, everyone. Eight days remaining. It looks like everyone who has posted so far wants to be from Kaer Darrow, so let's make a little story to build off of.

The second expeditionBa'kri had grown too restless, complaining that the previous group would steal all of the glory in any threats that existed outside of the kaer, and if they were killed before escaping the caves, then whatever had killed them would have too much time to recover before the second expedition encountered it. He requested, nay, DEMANDED that Ba'kri's Ravagers follow the first group as soon as possible.

The Elders convened and discussed this, and came to the agreement that they wished the seals to be secured and the wards powered again as soon as possible, in case the Scourge still ravaged the world outside, and though they didn't say it directly, they wanted the feckless troll out of the kaer. The ork brothers may have been full of bluster and bravado as well, but they were well-liked overall, and had good hearts. They would be missed.

What they did not expect, was other volunteers to show up the next day, younglings and Adepts who also wished to risk the world outside of the safety of the kaer.

Ba'kri was happy to have more voices and more swords at his command, and the ork brothers seemed almost relieved.

The secondary group left without so much as a party or even a blood oath, such as the one the other group made, nor had the new members of the group even made a promise of peace and solidarity. This proved disastrous and fortuitous at the same time.

The caves beyond the kaer were filthy, dark, and the group found eight dead rat-like things, each the size of large dogs and recently slain. Looking around the caves, they found the remains of all of the previous expeditions, dried skeletons wearing moldy leathers, rusted blades and packs that had been torn and scattered about. A handful of silver coins and a small box containing a single coin of true earth, which Ba'kri took for his own.

Ba'kri, he seemed furious that the other group had slain the monsters of the cave. He openly wished that the Elements had died, for only true warriors should have been able to handle such foes. The Elements, after all, were nothing but weaklings! Only one of them had any real skill with a blade, and he was but a puny t'skrang!

His anger and the perceived insult to his 'honor' simmered and burned. As the group found its way to the base of the mountain, Ba'kri turned his anger to the rest of the group, snapping angrily at anything said or done that he did not command be done.

Everyone was fed up with him immediately, but nobody wished to test themselves against that wicked blade of his. But he was a deep sleeper, and during the night, while Ba'kri snored, the others planned, took only what they needed, and turned to flee to the west as fast as their feet could take them. Just as they were sneaking their way out of the camp, one of the orks, a BeastmasterLeonata, opened his eyes and addressed the group.

"I didn't see you leave, and I would take my brother and join you, but we were part of this before you were, and we swore a blood oath in the dark caves three days prior. My brother and I are bound by our word to Ba'kri, may he find his glorious death sooner than later. Go swiftly, I'll he says with a winktry to track you, but I don't think I will be successful. Go, may we meet again under blue skies and open fields, with drinks in our hands and swords kept firmly in our sheaths. The others went He points to the westthat way, I can see their trail quite clearly. Go with speed, Ba'kri will want your heads for leaving, but I will not lead him to your necks." He rolls over and mutters,"Hopefully in his rage he will break the oath first, then Ricktar and I will be freed from the blood oath and we'll have the honor of gutting the fool." pretends to go back to sleep.

After two days of rushing to the west, one of you Or flies up, in case of a Windlingclimbs a tree to get a vantage point, and can see a trail of smoke rising above the tree tops. Is it the Elements? Is it other Namegivers?

Last edited by Karhald; 06-16-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax SalmonMax
Apologies if this is a super-dense question, but I am still new to these boards and how they work.

Is this intended to be a pre-game RP scenario, or is it more like setting the scene?
Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
Setting a scenario so that people can have a reason for their characters to also be from Kaer Darrow.

Using that is optional, otherwise additional members can be surface-born, or from another recently opened Kaer. Since the game is taking place at the 500 year mark, there are going to be more kaers opening up, since in my campaign worlds there are a quite a few kaers that survived but stayed locked up until the full time of the Scourge was completed. Some of them may have lost their magic level, some of them refused to poke their heads out, believing that the Scourge meant just opening the door meant instant death to everyone inside.

Last edited by Karhald; 06-21-2019 at 05:59 PM.