Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4556
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry

Gajine Flintshard
Male Half-Orc Cleric of the Forge

After writing the last few notes to a scribble he made he closed the journal and let out a content sigh. Not writing in it even for half a day felt alien to him, he wasn't the most educated but he enjoyed writing. An odd trait that he acquired from his servitude as a cleric of Gond. Looking up and seeing Ivy working on setting the table he caught Olivia glancing at the journal. With his childish grin he held out the journal towards her with a "Care fer a read, Miss Olivia? I don't mind, that I don't. It's part of me church's teachin's ta share our notes."

She would probably recognize being an operator of her own airship that this journal was fairly small in size, the kind often used by airship captains to handle their ledgers. He had acquired it on his way to Boury after a slight mishap in not understanding the physics of being up moving through the sky. Even though he's had it for such a short time judging from where he closed it the journal was already half-full.

Whether she took it or not didn't matter to him, he offered up what knowledge he had as per his teaching and he was content with that. He would store it back in his holy pouch once everything was said and done before realizing he had been rude and stand up. "Fergive me! May I assist with anything?" he looked at Ivy realizing he should've been helping this whole time instead of writing! His stomach protested loudly that it didn't wish for more work and wanted food but he had already been rude enough, he needed to do what he could to help!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3548
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
In his elementAs small as Merchant's Rest was, it was not surprising to run into the other half of the group at The Kitchens but it was a pleasant turn of events nonetheless. He slid his gold piece across the counter and thanked the proprietor, sweeping the three bottles under his arm and waited for the others to conclude their business. When they were set to leave, he explained the Silverset's invitation for dinner leaving off his shameful display both in front of the halfling family and then again alone with Olivia. Bidding Vilthal a good evening when she begged her leave, he promised to relay her regrets and join her that evening if the chance came to it.

Gordon led those who had accepted back to the Leatherworker's shop and then back to the homey dining table where Gajine and Olivia, the Silversets and MAC were waiting for them. He hung his hat and coat on a rack just off of the hall and set the two bottles of white wine, bottled in amber glass and marked with simple graphite designations of their vintage and vintner, down on the end of the table. The last bottle he brought to Ivy, a woman he had had very few words with but already felt indebted to. "I am afraid the last of our companions could not attend your gracious offer. Lady Vilthal had other obligations and she is not one to leave a job unfinished, to her credit." He offered the bottle of red wine over his forearm with a slight bow to bring it more easily to her reach. "My thanks are not enough for this warm invitation, so please accept this small token for your own closet." When she took the bottle, he smiled warmly and dusted his hands looking about. "Now, where might I find your corkscrew so I might free these drinks from their prisons?" He busied himself with just that, popping the corks and smelling them to make sure the golden liquid inside hadn't turned. He was pleasantly surprised at the enticing tart smell of clean grapes and soft alcohol. Gordon nodded to Gajine and then more slowly to Olivia as he worked, but though he deserved to be uncomfortable, he didn't act that way. Either he had put his irrational actions behind him or he was adept at hiding it.

"I see you two have found each other. I wonder if you might share with Gajine what you shared with me earlier, about your ship, Olivia?" He verbally nudged them further together with a smile.Gordon made sure to hold the seats of the women who had not taken one and waited for all but Jeb to sit down before he pulled his chair and began chatting up whoever was fortunate or unfortunate to be seated near him.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 05-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3347
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia's cheeks turned a bright red as Gajine caught her looking over his shoulder. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... I just, no that's okay," she said hurriedly over the half-orc's offer. As he continued though, her curiousity won out and she heard herself ask, "are you sure?" before she even knew it was coming out of her mouth. At his nod, she gently accepted the journal and walked over to sit on the crate meant for MAC where she sat cross legged and read. Her head rested on her left palm as she did, moving only as often as she needed her hand to turn a page.

Her eyes scanned the pages quickly, and her intensity betrayed her love of reading and innate desire to learn new things. She was a bit surprised to learn that several things in the book confirmed things the half-elf had told her earlier, and felt a bit foolish for being so suspicious of people who had been nothing but kind and helpful, if a bit chaotic, since they arrived. Other than cornering her in a small room and accusing her of trying to murder them all, of course. She giggled at the fact that the cleric had healed himself, though she didn't disagree with his reasoning and found that the entire incident somehow made Gajine more likable and relate-able. However, the small chuckle from earlier became a full out laugh when she came to the pictures of MAC fighting a strange looking man.

"Who's this?" she asked Gajine, pointing to the man. At his response she laughed, "You've been far too kind in this drawing."

Olivia was just getting to the inventions when Gordon walked in, and she quickly brought up the book in front of her face, still unsure of how she was supposed to react to earlier - especially now that she had read the journal and was feeling much better about the group, and by extension more absurd about her accusations. She rolled her eyes again at his overtly formal tone with Ivy and, upon hearing him address her, she dropped the book and offered a kind smile, "Oh yea, I mean no, I mean, I was just getting to the steamship part in his journal." She quickly glanced back to Gajine, "If you'd like, I can teach you how they work, this is," she said, turning the book around and pointing to the drawings made of how Gajine assumed they operated, "not exactly accurate... and by that I mean not even close," she said, followed by a good-natured laugh, "but in exchange, I'd love to hear about this invention you made that Gordon told me about."

Stat Block - Olivia

Last edited by DaysUntold; 05-02-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 846
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770

Quest for Filia
right-aligned image

Leaving Little Wares, Vesper decides to stay a few steps behind Kiirion. She follows him back to the Hair of the Bear Tavern and drops her disguise upon entering.

"Hey Andwair!" She waves to the Minotaur as she sidles up to the bar and slides a gold coin and 3 silver pieces towards him. "Would you mind whipping up some bacon and a fresh loaf of bread for me? Please and Thank You! Me and Kiirion are going to conduct a ritual in his room to bring back his pet that was squished by a royal guard or something. Okay-bye!"

Before he has a chance to react, Vesper walks off towards Kiirion's room to assist with the Find Familiar Ritual.

OOC
After assisting Kiirion with his ritual, Vesper is going to grab a bite to eat from the bacon she ordered from Andwair before heading to the Well and then to find the Brothel Tent. She will be in this disguise and carrying her whistle and weapons whenever she leaves the Tavern.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 956
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Kiirion
right-aligned image

Kiirion winced when he heard how much the spell scrolls were. He didn't have that sort of gold right now. Hopefully he could come back some other time and get one. The Necromancer in him was very curious about a spell called Heartstop. After telling the shopkeeper that he could come back later for the spell scrolls, the three of them left. Then it was on the to The Kitchens to get his herbs. He didn't get quite as much as he wanted, but on top of the herbs for his ritual, he was able to get some medicinal ones as well. When he had the time, he could make some potions for the group. It was at The Kitchens when they met up with Gordon who was buying wine for some sort of dinner. He invited the three to join them, but was declined by all. "Thank you Gordon, but I think I'd just like to go back to Hair of the Bear tonight." Being surrounded by a family at the moment, without Filia, didn't seem like a good idea.

Upon returning to the tavern, Kiirion and Vesper headed up to the one of the rooms, after Vesper gave Andwair some gold to make her some bacon for later. Once they were in the room, Kiirion tapped on the door and muttered a spell, making sure to include Vesper in it. "I've just magically locked the door so nobody can bother us. The two of us can open and close the door completely normally, so if you need, or want, to leave at any time, you can."

Kiirion sat down on the floor and started the ritual for the spell, which would take an extra ten minutes, but save his magic energy for later. The brass brazier appeared due to the magic of the spell, the sort of container for the ritual sacrifice of the components. Placing four gold of charcoal inside the brazier, he passed four gold of incense to Vesper and instructed her to stick the incense into the brazier around the edge in a circle. While she did that, he put the two gold worth of herbs in. With the help of Vesper, it only took about five minutes. Then it was on to the boring part. The hour of hand movements and spell muttering was cut short too. With Vesper there to light the incense and ignite the coals at the proper times, he didn't have to stop casting and in other thirty minutes, the brazier disappeared. Sitting there in it's place, was Filia.

Filia leaped into her master's grasp and Kiirion pulled her in for a hug. Kiirion instantly felt more relaxed than he had before with his support back. Filia took her usual spot drapped across his shoulders, but not before sinking her teeth into his ear. A clear warning never to do that again. "Thank you Vesper." He said, a small smile on his face.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2840
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Hair of the Bear

With polite decision not to attend the dinner invitation, the shopping group all make their way back to the Hair of the Bear for their own personal tasks to complete. Vilthal set upon completion of the Vodka Still that had been offered to Andwair the day before, working on really just tweaks and finishing touches to the first of two. The proud Artificer works through the night, determined to finish the creation, sacrificing her own time of what usually was meditation or other rest. Andwair had kindly acknowledged Lady Vilthal's return when she came strutting through the door, eager for her to finish the Still, hopeful that it would provide new revenue to the Hair of the Bear, so he'd not have to close the facility and be labeled a failure. Occasionally through the first four hours of her her crafting, Andwair would offer her a bloody mary and a plate of cheeses and nuts . For a while, he stayed and Dedicated 2 hours of help at a Disadvantage roll for the DC Pool
Dice Roll:
1d20-1 (6)-1 Total = 5
Dice Roll:
1d20-1 (4)-1 Total = 3
assisted her with handing her various tools or materials. The last four hours however, he had excused himself to find his bed and sleep. It was during those last late hours of the morning, that the first Still had been finally finished, with accomplishment spreading over the Artificer's confident face.

When Vesper had come shortly after Kiirion, Andwair slid her the bacon requested,but quickly uttered he had no idea how to bake bread. The bacon, previously cooked a few hours before,he tries to slide Vesper the plate and the coins offered back to her. "We agreed on free room and food Miss Vesper for helpin me so much with the Tavern and takin out those mean Ol' Plants. I appreciate it though, I do. But let me provide what I can for your all's generosity." he tried to say before she quickly left the counter trailing after Kiirion. Vesper would make her way to Kiirion shortly after her conversation with Andwair and provide whatever she could in Id say with a Warlock, that assisting Kiirion is pretty easy. Lets say the time is halved for the Ritual, considering Im not sure what else her help could offer.assisting the Necromancer with his ritual to bring his familiar back to the material plane.

Kiiron had quietly slipped into the Tavern and waited momentarily for Vesper to join him. They proceeded to Kiirion's room, taking precaution to temporarily bar the doors so that they'd not be disturbed or interrupted in the ritual. The boon Vesper provided for the Wizard turned out to be incredibly helpful cutting the normal amount of time it took Kiirion to set up and prepare all the components and practices needed. Kiirion's anticipation would be rewarded sooner than usual with such assistant.

right-aligned image
The small flicker of two wall torches danced upon the room, moving the shadows of the furniture in rhythmic unison. Throughout the ritual, the light would dim then brighten upon the poetic incantations that Kiirion spoke for the spell to bolster and grow within the brazier. From the delicate motion of his hands, his finger's arching up and down, almost appeared to be part of a grand orchestra piece, upon which his guidance and fluidity conducted a masterful combination of melodic rises and dramatic falls. The room was filled with the expression of desire...desire for his companion to rejoin him, passion...for his craft and love of his familiar and joy...as Filia re-entered the material world, replacing the brass brazier set before him. It was joy that lingered within the confines of the room long after the spell was over.

Like any other family dinner....
The table was set and all were called to dinner at the Silverset's supper. Ivy, carefully presented two roasted chickens upon simple white, ceramic platters accompanied by cooked broccoli and roasted red kidney beans in matching serving bowls. A cast iron skillet boasted a golden, honeyed cornbread, sizzled and smoked with bacon fat as she set the pan down upon a padded leather placemat in the middle of the table. Graciously, she accepted the bottles of white wine, offering to fill the glasses of those seated or lets Gordon proceed to do so, and tucks the red into a shelf before her last trip in the kitchen and to the table, taking her place next to Jebrin when he, too, joins. "Thank you, for your gift and for joining our table this evening. You are welcome here and I am looking forward to discussion over dinner of how your group is or was, rather, entwined with Estus." Ivy smiles with a sense of polite yet curious demeanor at Gordon, tucking her apron as she sits.

Jebrin, traditional family man and kind host, provides a brief thanks to you all and a momentary silence of a few seconds in case someone wanted to send a prayer to their deity or patron. After that short moment, he raises his glass of white wine to the table, you, his family's guests. "To old friends and new ones, to the ones who thrive and those who strife, to all that is good in this world. To all those who suffer and to all those that gain, let the many blessings of whatever the gods see fit to bestow us with, blossom in your lives. From our family to yours...let kind words be spoken and our hearts be full at our Supper this evening." With that, he lifts his wine glass just a bit higher and then takes a full swallow.

As soon as her father finishes and sips, Ellie raises her fork with a kidney bean pierced within the tines and points it at Olivia then to Gordon. "Olivia... why aren't you sitting by your boyfriend?" She points to Gordon, who is seated on the length of the left side of the table, Ivy beside him while Ellie had taken the opposite end chair from Jebrin. Instantly MAC perks up from the corner, standing with a clatter of heavy commotion..."NO!" MAC looks perturbed and is glaring at Gordon. Ellie's head doesn't move, though her eyes slide from MAC to Olivia and then to Gordon. "You guys should just make up after arguing. That's what Momma and Papa do. They argue then they're quiet for a while then they ..." She grins really wide and laughs, now mushing her fingers together.."Kissy kissy!" her little fingers continue a romantic display of making out together for the table to witness, while MAC continues to yell "NO! NO!"

"Ellie Marie Silverset! That's enough!"
Ivy's voice rings out in mostly scolding, but a bit of interest perks her features as her eyes soon find Olivia's. Her brow raises..."That's none of our business.. " she says and continues to cut parts of the chicken on her plate.

Jebrin looks at his daughter and shakes his head... Ellie quickly stops what she'd been doing with her fingers and picks her fork back up. He clears his throat with a hefty cough a few seconds after she starts eating and looks to Gajine..."So... tomorrow, eh? Do you want to come by in the morning and finish or would you like to swing by in the evening, I can see to it's finishing as soon as it's done in the Brine Bath. "

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-04-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics

Gajine Flintshard

Just themHe was surprised she actually took the book. Typically when he offered folks would shy away. Quite happy someone actually took him up and read his notes. He was finally a proper cleric of Gond with this. Watching her intently read he quickly realized it was quite embarrassing to have another read your thoughts in such a way constantly worried that he’d be looked at in a different light. Then he remembered the page and froze. What if she could read it?! What if the cypher wasn’t strong enough?! How would he handle a total stranger knowing this information! That page was to be torn out but he needed to write it down to remember. What to do? What to d- her laughter broke his thoughts as she inquired who MAC was fighting. "Wha- ah! That be Vil-" he paused recalling the lad of the house was employed by them. What if someone walked by and happened to hear him talk negatively about a council member while Lollie was working for them?! "It be some wandought I met on me travels" he lied with a weak laugh hearing Gordon come in. Gajine perked up looking towards the half-elf expecting to see two more elves and a yuan-ti with him. When he saw no one he deflated. There went his big family dinner. Listening to the reasons Gordon provided he nodded fully understanding but his selfishness still made him bummed the others wouldn’t join them.

Gordon mentioning a ship and Olivia offering to teach him about engines surely help brighten things. "Was never the best wit tinkerin" he said with an embarrassed laugh "I’d be in yer debt ifn you could spare time ta teach me anything. Me dream is ta make a airship know tha world over – tough ta do when I don’t know engines!" he let out a hearty laugh at the jab he made about himself.
that explains it!Watching the food be laid out before him he could feel the drool welling in his mouth. At Jeb’s words of thanks he swallowed the drool and gave a quick prayer to Gond over the quailty of the leather currently curing. Once it was finally time to eat he took aim for that delicious chicken first! He had planned to speak on the Celcinum whilst he ate but young Ellie started asking questions about Gordon and Olivia grabbing his attention while he chomped. At the mention of their meeting and “kissy kissy.” "Oh-ho!" he exclaimed swallowing a mouth full of chicken "Was wonderin where ye wandered off too all wound tight like that just ta come back fine." he gave a light smirk to Gordon picking up his napkin. This man was quite thr player wasn’t he? "Bold ta do such a thing in a strangers house, that it is. Guess wit tha stress from yesterday all ye needed was a release." he happily said wiping his mouth before answering Jeb "I’ll leave tha last step ta ya, Jeb. I have another thing I need ta take care of. Thank ye fer letting me use yer shop!"

It would've been more fun with more people but this was alrrady proving to be fun!

Last edited by Retry; 05-05-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 846
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770

Promises promises
right-aligned image
"Thank you Vesper."

The ritual complete, Vesper's eyes remained fixed on Kiirion and Filia. In that moment, she simply felt happy for him. She wanted to hug him, but given both of their aversions to physical contact she simply smiled and whispered; "You're welcome!" She then stood, collected her things and made for the door.

Heading back downstairs, she saw Lady Vilthal working on the finishing touches of the first still. As she grabbed a handful of bacon, ignoring the money that was still on the countertop, she asked Andwair a question; "Hey Andwair, I read about these things called 'Brothels' in a book once. It said that they are usually found in places where people don't have a lot of distractions but there are people that pass through. I just figured..." Using a piece of bacon, she gestured to... well... everything; "Not like there's a ton of distractions here... And, we're people that are passing through so it seemed to make sense that there would be a place like that here."

After talking with Andwair, Vesper approaches Lady Vilthal.

"That looks amazing!" She says, spraying bits of bacon from her mouth as she hasn't finished chewing yet. "Oh, I finished helping Kiirion. He has his pet back. One promise down... Speaking of promises, can I give you a hand with anything? Oh, and I do plan on going out tonight to check out the Well about the water problem and to investigate something else that might help Andwair. I'm letting you know so that you'll know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what I'll look like. You can come with me if you'd like. If not, no big deal. I'll try not to get into any trouble. Just want to look at the well, talk to some people and check out this Brothel thing." Vesper shakes her head, reverting back to the disguise she was wearing earlier in the day. "See! I learn." She smiles broadly, much like a child trying too hard to impress their parent.

OOCIf Lady Vilthal accepts Vesper's assistance with the still, Vesper will continue to help in any way she can for around 2 hours;

Dice Tinkers Tools Check w Advantage due to Pact of the Matrix:
2D20+4kh1 (9, 5 (keeping 9) )+4 Total = 13
Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia went over and sat next to Gajine, specifically avoiding eye contact with Gordon. She grabbed the quill and ink sitting on the windowsill as usual, before realizing that she'd left all of her things back at the inn. "Be right back!" she said after placing the writing utensil back on the table, and ran up the stairs like a child going to retrieve a lost toy. Passing Ellie and MAC on the way, she spoke to Ellie quickly as she ran by, "hey I'm going to borrow some paper I'll replace it thanks!" Once in the small room, she grabbed a handful of paper off the desk and ran back downstairs, making her way back to the kitchen. She knelt down in the chair next to Gajine, who now had a slightly bewildered look on his face.

She grabbed the first page and, seeing nothing but a few childish, albeit adorable, doodles on it, found a small unmarked area near the upper corner and began drawing a crude example of a basic steam engine. Assuming that he, as he put it, "don’t know engines," she started with the basics and a glimmer of excitement was obvious in her eyes. "Well, so this is a cylinder and this is a piston. When the water is heated, the steam is directed into the cylinder which pushes the piston to the side, turning the crank shaft," she said, pointing to another part of the drawing, labeling as she went. "Now that technology is better, we have a control valve that regulates when the steam enters each side of the cylinder, meaning that the engine is working on both strokes and it's able to put out more power. Unfortunately, this causes fluctuation in the torque, which is where the fly wheel comes in to play. It actually has nothing to do with flying though, it just stores left over rotational energy to help mitigate some of the ups and downs of the torque, making the entire system more efficient and significantly less shaky. The steam then heads through a condenser where it cools down and cycles back into the system, preventing too much moisture loss. If it weren't for that, we'd never be able to fly - it would just take too much water and would weigh too much."

She paused and paused for a minute, thinking back to her parents. Her dad had had this exact conversation with her when she was a child and dreamed about flying one day. Her mom though, was the one to explain the more arcane side of things. She was gorgeous, with red hair that matched her lips and soft warm skin that made Olivia feel invincible every time she wrapped her in an embrace. They had been a fetching couple, and hopelessly infatuated with one another. Olivia missed them dearly but had come to terms with the fact that she'd never see them again. The best she could do was make them proud. 'With understanding comes innovation' they would say, even when she was a small child getting lost in the dwarven mines of Pengay. She began again, more thoughtful than before. "Actually, all of this is too heavy if you get down to it. That's why it was only used in ships and trains and such. It took some artificers to figure out how to etch certain magical runes on different parts of the engine to make it efficient enough to fly without being too heavy or requiring too much fuel. For example, the condenser, here," she points to one area of the drawing, "would be much too large and heavy to be on an airship and it still fly, so there are runes etched on it to lower its temperature and pressure far below what could otherwise be achieved, helping the steam condense back into water faster, resulting in much less loss. Without it, we would have to have thousands of gallons of water on board - creating yet another weight problem. The boiler itself is smaller than usual and has runes that allow it to retain a more heat without it being lost to the outside air, making the coal more efficient so we have to use, and store, much less. The runes create a sort of a magical barrier between the outside air and the heat of the water, which not only boosts efficiency but makes it a lot safer to work around. There are several other sets of runes, each with their own use, but you get the idea. Most of them have to do with lightening the load so that we can even get off of the ground."

"Honestly though, that isn't my area of expertise. I mean, I know enough to get by and can do some on my own, but there are definitely those out there much more qualified than I am," these last sentences came out almost absent-mindedly as she shuffled through the papers that she'd taken from Ellie's room.

Olivia's eyes widened on a couple of the concepts and inventions proposed on the papers, and she quietly folded them up and stuck them into her pocket as everyone sat down at the table. She'd save that conversation for later, she resolved.

Dinner started out well, everyone seemed to be accepting of each other and it was a nice change of pace from the prior 24 hours of almost constant chaos. The food was the best she'd had in weeks, especially the bread which melted in her mouth with the butter, still warm from the pan. The wine was sweet with faint undertones of honey. Pleasantries were exchanged and she was happy to see the newcomers treat her second family with such respect, despite just meeting them.

Then Ellie spoke.

"Olivia... why aren't you sitting by your boyfriend?... Kissy kissy!" the small childlike voice of her might-as-well be sister floated to her from the other end of the table and it took everything she had not to spit out the wine she had been drinking all over Ivy, who looked at her with an expression that betrayed how much she wanted to pull Olivia aside and hear all about her 'boyfriend.' In her attempt to hold the wine in, she choked and ended up leaning to the side, coughing as if her internal organs had finally thrown a coup in an attempt to escape their fleshy prison. She held up one hand waving everyone off, both of the idea and from trying to help her. Her face was now a downright impressive shade of crimson, part of which was due to her coughing fit, but that would matter little to anyone. "NO!" she said, echoing MAC's cries, then looking over to Gordon she stammered out, "No offense, I just mean..."

She looked to Ivy for help, but she seemed to be enjoying the situation too much to offer a way out. "That's not... I mean, we didn't... I barely even know him!" she stammered out, glaring at MAC for his uncharacteristic outburst. He may be acting like a spoiled child meeting a new step parent but she still saw him as a little brother and had no qualms in throwing another boot at him. In fact, had Ellie not been a safe distance from her, she'd have gotten quite the kick in the shin under the table.

'To think, I always wanted siblings,' she thought, still searching for the words to placate the others.

Then Gajine spoke.

Her mouth dropped to the floor, and she stood, glaring at Gordon, "You told him?!" she asked, feeling betrayed though she had no real reason to. It was only a second later that she realized the rest of Gajine's accusations, but it was already too late. "No, not that. I mean the..." her sentence trailed off, what was she going to do? Tell the only family that she had that this man had accused her of being a spy or something of the sort and she wasn't entirely sure that he wasn't working for the empire and she let them in this home anyways? She couldn't, Ivy was scared enough, and rightfully so. She looked to Ivy, pleading, "I promise nothing happened in your home." She winced at the phrasing, but it was important to her that Ivy knew she'd never take advantage of their hospitality in any way.

She attempted to regain some of her composure, as if nothing had happened, "if you'll excuse me for a moment," she said politely. She walked from the table calmly, taking her glass of wine and the nearby bottle with her, feeling stares on her back. It wasn't until she turned the corner that everyone below could hear rapid thumping as she ran up the stairs back to Ellie's room.

Stat Block - Olivia

Last edited by DaysUntold; 05-07-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3548
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
A StainGordon half-listened to Olivia's explanations of steam engines. It's not that he wasn't impressed, it was simply not his conversation and lay so far outside his interests that he didn't feel the need to interject himself for the sake of social relevance. He was pleased to simply bring the two together. Instead he played rock, paper scissors with Ellie and endured her overly zealous victory hand smashing until Jeb pulled up a chair and a moment of silence was made. Gordon politely bowed his head though he didn't offer godly thanks himself. He cheered with Jeb at the conclusion of his toast with a hearty, "Here, here!". Nothing further needed to be added and he nodded his head to the eloquent host.

The wine was dry and pleasantly palatable and he joined in eating after everyone had begun.

Gordon raised his eyebrows as Ellie began her teasing An inventive and curious girl he thought and his mouth quirked into a smirk. That was at least until Olivia displayed a different reaction and began to sputter. There was little to hide the gunslinger's emotions with a mustache that tended to accentuate his moods as a rapier might emphasize a dueler's arm. The two waxed curls formed a slight inverted 'v' as he frowned deeply. The Silversets attempted to cut the scene short, but Gajine chimed in with his good humored but distinctly off-color commentary. As Olivia stood in anger and embarrassment, so too did Gordon. A polite gesture of a lady leaving the table that no doubt cast him even deeper into the appearance of a cad. He watched the girl leave sadly and took a breath before finalizing his time with the Silversets.

Though he loathed to, he forced himself to look Jeb and Ivy in their eyes as he spoke, still standing at his place. "It appears that your clever daughter overheard an argument I had with Olivia in your home. It pains me to say that I am quick to distrust others, especially when coded phrases are used. The fact that we have recently come from a mortal fight and have, in that way, inserted ourselves into Bowery politics only further inflamed that position. I confronted Olivia, therefore, earlier thinking she might be in league with those we thwarted. She has, of course, convinced me otherwise for what shadows of doubt can stand the light of reasoned truth? And though I thought my indiscretions ended there with her, it seems it is not yet time to see them put away and my punishment for distrust, rightly, should not be considered over. My failings are my own, and I would ask, if such a thing is within my damaged capacity, that those defects of character do not color your opinion of this fine cleric or his friends. And certainly not your long-time confidant, Olivia, either. She bore my demands with grace and honor to your family. I ask your leave then to take my supper alone and remove my stain from this kind and warm home."

He waited for their leave, awkwardly, or for whatever dark words he deserved to hear.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 05-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
Family dinners are fun!!~
left-aligned image
The half-orc had a innocent grin on his green face watching her panic trying to clear things up. He meant no harm, nor did he hold any judgement - she just gave him a lesson on steam engines for Gond's sake! She had gained his upmost respect just from that. To share knowledge over technology was the kindest gift one could offer. It was all in good fun for him honestly, he was expecting them to get flustered and brush it off. Maybe Ellie and he could have fun poking at them for a bit before being scolded by Ivy or Jeb - much like how he imagined large family dinners should go.

When she stood up and excused herself with the bottle of wine he looked to the gentleman in hopes of possibly smoothing things over. He was becoming too reliant on the gunslingers capabilities to do so. Instead Gordon stood and spilled everything to the Silversets and then was going to excuse himself as well. He was revealing too much even by Gajine'sthis fool's standards so the half-orc just sat there still smiling watching this train go off the rails. While he was giving his speech the cleric anxiously drew Gond's symbol on his plate using the scraps of food that were left. While Gordon stood there waiting for their permission to leave Gajine let out a light chuckle "This is fun! Haven't had such an eventful dinner in me life!" he looked at young Ellie "Is this how it be like ta have siblin's? I'm quite jealous ye get ta have this fun all tha time!" he then looked to Ivy and Jeb "Fergive me joke - twas all it be" he spoke with his fool's laugh finishing out his sentence. He wondered if this was how the Flintshard's dinners would've been if in some miraculous way adoptive brother {deceased}Harten would've survived that airship crash. It was chaotic but oddly fun and warm. He was jealous and wished the others were here. Though, with everyone trying to leave it would feel quite small soon.

"Calm down Gordon, don't need ta be goin bout this like a clumbsy persondew-beater. Les talk ta these ere folks who be feeding us instead o runnin from them, yeah? I'll go apologize ta Miss Olivia fer me joke later." he motioned to his friend to sit even though the man was trying to be proper. He wasn't going to let this family dinner fall appart with out a fight....figuratively.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Is there a Brothel around here?

Andwair chuckles and nods, leaning a bit closer to Vesper to answer. "I dun't know if ya would call it that around here... but there's a private establishment just down the road a bit, tucked back behind the market stalls. The...er...Owner is real discrete like though, doesn't advertise and his <ahem> "Employee's " he says as he physically makes quotes to Vesper..." don't leave the building, so ya wouldn't even know what was goin on in there. Makes sense for this area though, it's the way we townie's like it here." The Minotaur's thick neck bends in curiosity, looking over Vesper. " It's a well run business, treat ya fair an' all. All you gotta do is say the code to get let in the door." He leans in and whispers in her ear, his hand cupping beside her head, without touching her..."It's

As Vesper leaves with the code stored in her memory, she prepares for her visit and struts out the door as the beautiful red-headed woman disguise she had donned earlier that day, leaving Andwair shaking his head with louder chuckles. Approaching the well that stood in the middle of the road, just outside the Hair of the Bear, she decides to quickly investigate it a bit more then she had just the day before when she made her secret wish and tossed a load of gold coin down into the unseen depths. Cautiously, she bent forwards, peering in, trying to grasp the depth. An idea blossoming, she throws a handful of gravel into the well...not hearing the usual splunk or splash it should of made. That in mind, she decided to revisit the well on her way back from the "brothel", other desires currently thwarting her attention away.

Approaching the shadowed building, just set off the road, Vesper deducted that this place must be the one that Andwair had described. Passing the Blacksmith shop and fifty feet or so from the West Guard Station, sat a small building, almost surrounded by large willow tree's. It was positioned just far enough from the main road, it would of been easy miss if not be made aware it was ever there in the first place. The City Watch doesn't seem to take an interest of you as you pass them after leaving the well, oddly enough they've not took an interest to you or your companions the entire time you've been in Merchant's Rest, much unlike the normal Guard's you were use to in the bigger cities of Scarla Noa. Perhaps it was Boury, just across the river, that kept this shanty town in line, or was it the locals that lived here, that made sure to keep off the government's radar so well?

You knock at the door when you finally get to the dark building, not a single lightsource aside from one of the dual moons above. The sliding window opens suddenly with a TWACK. "Ooo Arr Oooo.?" A voice gruffly speaks from behind the door as yellow, slited pupils peer down at you. Again... they question..."Elwhoa? Ooo Arr Oooooo?" And Vesper replies with the code.....

For a moment the yellow eyes blink, though slowly and seem to keep closed a moment too long compared to a regular person's. You hear five or six locks unbolt, unclasp or turn, each with their own particular sound or click. The door opens and you step through, a hand on your back to usher you in quicker with a slight nudge forward and then the door shuts and the locks, re-engaged. A hooded figure stands in front of a wall sconce lit with a fire fueled with illusion magic, as it's cerulean flame flickers against the back of new host. The owl-like Aarakocra shifts it's attention over your body, skimming you from the top of your red head to the tip of your toe. "Whooo Oooo, pret-ti wooman. <click, tick,click> the bird woman's beak snaps indirectly while speaking with you, gauging your body while you stand in the entryway. Her head starts to turn just a bit further then a human's could as she looks behind her.

Stepping through and finally having a moment to register your surroundings, you realize you hear the faint sound of a lute playing and man's voice in harmony with the notes. A group of soft giggles, seemingly women, and the heartier laugher of men beckon from the main room ahead, that area, too, also cast in the flicker of blue flame, though much brighter then the hall you stand in currently. Shadows play on the walls of mysterious silhouettes paired and entangled in the corners that are visible to you. The snowy white owl, doppled with brown spots on it's tufted furry feathers, waits for you to head in as she steps aside, her clicks and ticks turning to chirp like purring. "Ask for Mekeet..."

The hostess then silently leaves you and sits upon a stool in the corner of the door, waiting for the next patron to possibly arrive. You leave her, heading into the main room, your footfalls are silent as you realize your traveling on a floor that is padded with plush rugs and heavy furs. You see a few pairs of heavy boots, studded and some leather, while many pairs of sandals align the opposite of the hallway as well. Further down the hall, rounding the corner and open to the main room, you find a lively area decorated in foreign designs, not at all like you're accustomed to, perhaps more akin to North's monastery type of atmosphere. Sultry incense and fragrant perfumes drape heavily in the center of the room, where various women lounge upon giant silk pillows and downy fur blankets. There's a singular man in the middle of them, laughing and occasionally caressing whichever woman is closest to his free hand. The other palm clasping around a wooden mug of sweet red wine, spilling and sloshing over the rim within his hearty fits of laughter.

As your eyes scan over, what you gather as the visible selection of product, a realization comes to you. None of these women were human. An exotic white Tabaxi, a shy but large bosomed Minotaur, a rough...almost pirate like kobold...with an eyepatch. A few steps away from the center, on a large yellow silk pillow, sat an extremely tall and well-built woman. Taller then a human, her head shaved but neatly stubbled with lines in thin symbols covered her scalp. She was tattooed from her neck to her ankles, all in black ink, all in symbols and runelike scripts. Her stoney grey eyes seem to lock into yours. "No disguises here. It's all ...Na-tur-el baby." She stands and approaches you, her footsteps covering twice the distance yours easily.With a sly grin she squats down a bit..."Come on now, no reason to be shy, not here.. Mekeet would like to see what's hiding under there. " Somehow, mostly likely through a spell you assume, she sensed your disguise and saw quickly through it, now asking for you to drop it if you'd like to continue your time here in the establishment. "Owner's rules... sorry sweetheart."
Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
It's a dinner parteee!
Ivy sat at the dinner table, calm and collected though her visage seemed to linger on the humor of the situation. She had started to object as Olivia departed, though Gordon's apology took her concern's attention away. Her eyes rolled with the commotion and returned to look at Gordon again. It was then that Ellie looked to Gajine, seemingly confused. " Wait. wait.. what did he release? I didn't see anything, they were just arguing?!" Her nose and lip quirked with the question as she waited for the Half-Orc to answer, but before that, Jebrin had quickly interceded. "Ok.. ok.. enough.. Please, there will be no more talk of Olivia or her boyfriend..." He winked to Ellie as a smile spread across his face. "Ivy, go see to Olivia... Tell her to come back down, no reason to be embarrassed." He looks to Gordon with the same warm smile, "Come now, you don't think we see through every single question our curious little monkeys throw at us? If I believed everything these kids tell me, I'd be thrown in jail or the like. There's really no need for apologies or explanations... she's just got a huge imagination and thinks big thoughts."

Though Jebrin played the situation down, to the best of his ability, it was Ivy who wasn't entirely convinced of what to make of it. Talking to Olivia did seem the best route however. She stood, while Gordon still stood and shook her head. "There's no need to leave... whatever quarrel you have with Olivia, if you're still here... I guess that it wasn't anything to be worried about. I can't imagine Olivia letting someone stick around if there was true and more ill intentioned issue here. I trust her....we trust her. And I must be the one to apologize for my daughter's misconceptualized wild conconctions."

Ivy leaves the table, also taking the second bottle of wine and her glass, to join Olivia and Ellie changes the subject..."So.. I was telling the truth though.. there's a water monster in the sewer grate down at the river. Olivia believed me... I saw it there.. it was large and sorta treading the water, but I didn't see it in the water though.. And then it had these weird little thin legs and arms that looked like spindles... Like a big grub but one that could eat a horse type of grub!" Jebrin looks to Gordon..."See I told you lad.. Biiiiiig Thoughts." He chuckled, shaking his head and takes a bite of chicken before turning to Gajine again. " So... in the morning hours of first light, I'll check the hide, it should be fairly ready. If it's set right, I'll skim the water and press it a few times and submerge it. If you want to come back around midday tomorrow I'll have it dried and stretched, then roll it. Or ... keep it stretched for you to work it in my workshop for whatever it's to become. Eh?"

Ivy, upon finding Olivia in Ellie's bedroom, quietly slipped through the door and closed it behind her. She offered the girl a smile as she sat down on Ellie's maple framed twin bed. "Olivia... I'm sorry about Ellie. I can tell you're embarrassed dear.. And I urge you to not be. You don't have to explain anything. You know we trust you... but Im concerned the people that you are wrapped up with right now, may not?" It seemed to come out more as a question, Ivy obviously interested in if Olivia thought the same or not. Her concern lied with the young woman's safety, not in unraveling the mystery of if Gordon was her "boyfriend" or not. "You know... I didn't know your parents well.. But Estus did, and I recall a story or two of when they first met...would you like to hear it?"

MAC

I'd never seen her that shade before....I was not exactly sure what just happened or entirely what was said past the point of that Gunslinger guy being Olivia's boyfriend, I didn't even know that Olivia even wanted a boyfriend actually. But.. with my limited language skills and primitive capacity of present programming, I couldn't do anything other in objection of such a display then say.."No" While really I was trying to say "Stop this at once!" in defense of my companion's feelings. When she ran off... I stood, glaring at the Gunslinger, hoping he'd chase after her to reassure her in some weird humanie way, but that didn't happen, so I just continued to stand...looking at him, letting my thoughts continue to remain silent. One day.... One day she'll figure out how to get this voice box working...and when she does... I'll never curb my tongue.. Well.. that is..if she makes me a tongue. I suppose that's next on the list. In the mean time...My turret system is enough, who needs a quick tongue when you have bullets?

In truth... I merely jest. Stuck inside my brain all day, one must make the most of all this time. I hope Olivia comes back down soon, she left me alone with Ellie earlier and I ended up with a "Ellie and Olivia BFF's" on the bottom of my boot...er shoe..foot?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics

Gajine Flintshard

Letting out a mischevious snicker as Jeb stopped the talk of the newly formed couple the half-orc started nodding along with what Jeb was saying up until he brushed her off with having a big imagination. That wasn't for Gajine to say, he hardly knew the lass, he was just trying to agree that it wasn't that big of a deal that everyone needed to rush off - but that happened regardless.

right-aligned image
left-aligned image
Ellie's description of the creature though got his mind working. He quickly pulled out his journal and started drawing while listening to Jeb. He quickly glanced up with a smile "Greatly appreciated, Jeb. I'll leave it ta ya and grab it tomorra." and with that he was back to drawing darkening the lines and trying to embody what she said as much as he could. "A big imagination is a blessin in Gond's eyes. More room fer him to place ideas inta folks minds. With a lass as talented as Ellie ta make it in front of tha Council one should never dismiss her thoughts. Fer they kin easily be reality in present or short-term future." he felt like he was lecturing Jeb on child rearing - not a smart idea, especially since he's never had a kid of his own. He finally finished and held up the journal to Ellie. "'nd since she's so smart, let me ask ye, lass." he pushed forward his journal towards her with a drawing of the creature she saw on one page and a large ring with crystals jutting out of it in the other. "Is this tha creature ye saw?" he pointed to his drawing of a grub with a pencil "'nd I figured it wouldn't hurt ta ask - have ye seen this ere crystal before?" he pointed to the
Dice * Persuasion:
d20+3sh14 (2)+3 Total = 5
crystal on the ring.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia sat on the floor of the small room, leaning up against the bed, with a glass of wine in one hand and the diagram for a camera in the other. It was Ellie's, one of the schematics that Olivia had found it in the stack of paper that she'd whisked away from the little girl's desk earlier in the evening. Her head spun from all of the events of the past two days, or it could have been from the three glasses of wine she'd downed in rapid succession after ascending the stairs - or both. Either way, her head was far from clear as she tried to identify any possible flaws in the design, but she wasn't able to find any.

She brought the paper down to rest on her outstretched leg as she leaned her head back, eyes closed, to rest against the side of the bed. The hand with her wine glass rested on her bent knee, swirling its contents while she thought. Gordon and Gajine, as well as their companions, had swept into her life like a maelstrom. She struggled to remember a time so turbulent in her life, and couldn't come up with anything other than the events in Pengay that changed the course of her life forever. Something nagging at her made her feel like this group might have the same effect, though whether for good or for bad she couldn't be sure. 'What is wrong with me?' she thought, 'you'd think I'd never spoken to anyone before.' She brought her head forward long enough to take another long drink and rub her eyes before resuming her position staring at the ceiling through the back of her eyelids.

She could hear some commotion downstairs, but couldn't make out what was being said. The footsteps on the stairs, though, she would recognize anywhere. As the figure walked into the room she greeted the woman. "Hey, Ivy," she said, opening her eyes and looking at the woman who spanned the line somewhere between surrogate mother and best friend. "You know your daughter is a genius. Take a look at this. She designed a camera unlike any I've ever seen before. In fact, I'm not sure a handheld one exists anywhere," she continued as she held out the schematic for Ivy to look at.

Ivy took the paper and sat on the bed next to where she was, but set it down in her lap without looking at it. As usual, Ivy didn't allow for Olivia to avoid the issue, choosing instead to get to the heart of things.

"Olivia... I'm sorry about Ellie...You know we trust you... but Im concerned the people that you are wrapped up with right now, may not?" Ivy had said to her.

Olivia laughed, "don't be sorry about Ellie, she's a sweetheart with nothing but good intentions. I've just been on edge today I suppose. And why should they trust me? I lied straight to his face." When Ivy offered to tell her a story about her parents meeting, she leaned her head back, eyes closing once more. "I'd love to. I don't recall them ever mentioning it back before... everything."

Stat Block - Olivia