Notices

Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 507
Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku
Jesus this sounds amazing.

App incoming (just saying something for now) - should be done by tonight(ish?)
Current Games: Broken Isles
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 466
Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces
Sorry if there is any typos or inconsistencies. I have a 9 month old and a 3 year old climbing on me when trying to post this.

Elli
right-aligned image

Name: Elliwyn “Elli” Folkor
Race: Gnome (Forest)
Class: Warlock(Great Old One)
Alignment: CG
Background: Hermit

Appearance: At first glance Elli looks like your average gnome. Standing at three feet tall, with large bushy brown hair, fair skin and large green eyes. But then you notice the glint in the eyes and large smiles that come easily to most gnomes falter on her face. Although she tries to remain upbeat, her past tragedies make it hard. The left side of her face has long white scratches from her eyebrow to jaw and her left arm appears distorted as a chunk of her bicep muscle appears to be missing.

Personality Traits: Reserved, hesitant and shy. Yet she craves companionship, as she is scared to be alone.
Bonds: Nothing is more important than the other members of my hermitage, order or association(family).
Ideals: My gifts are meant to be shared with all, not used for my own benefit.
Flaws: I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation created.
Personality: Smiles and a carefree attitude doesn't come as easily to Elli as it used to, but she still tries to keep an optimistic attitude. Even with everything she had been through she always remembers that at least she was spared. Spared from insanity and death. She craves companionship, scared to be alone. She forms bonds easily and she is a little too trusting at times, but she will always have others backs. Willing to put herself in harms way to protect those she truly cares for.

Finally, answer me these two questions from the perspective of your character:

1) If you were granted one wish in the world, what would it be? To be able to live with her family in brightness, with no fear of cave ins, or solitude.
2) What is your greatest fear? To be alone in the underdark and to succumb to insanity.

Backstory: Elliwyn “Elli” Folkor came from a small family in Bright Hope. Both her parents were guards, patrolling the outskirts of town from any creatures that may try to wander in. She spend most of the time at home with her older brother who would look over her. Most of the time he didn't mind staying home with Elli but sometimes he would leave her at home alone so he could 'train' with his friends who had fashioned sticks into makeshift swords.

One of these times when he brother left her alone Elli had decided to wander from the home, hungry and bored. Wandering aimlessly through the village she wandered near the outskirts, hoping to catch a glimpse of either her father or mother. That's when a dwarf attacked. He seemed crazed and starving. He lunged at the small gnome, teeth bared as he hoped to fill his belly with meat. His teeth sunk into the flesh of her arm as he pinned her down beneath his large frame. She tried to scream for help but she choked on the smell of his body as he clawed at her. Unfortunately, the dwarf had not been alone, unwittingly leading hook horrors to the village.

The nearby guards lit pre-planted explosives that collapsed the tunnel to prevent the creatures from making it into the village. Unfortunately Elli was under the roof when it collapsed. The dwarf that had been on top of her died as the rocks and debris fell down, but his body had shielded that gnome from death herself. Lying in the dark, bleeding and alone Elli cried.

She didn't know how long she was trapped beneath the rubble but she her throat went raw from screaming. After she could no longer scream she listened. Hoping to hear the sound of the village trying to dig her out, but no sounds came to her. As she lay there she slowly felt her mind slipping, voices screamed at her, images flashed in her mind. She almost gave up, gave into the insanity but she sent out a plea. Begging, groveling for anything to save her. To free her from her rock tomb. And something answered. Not with a voice. But she felt a small surge of power that ran through her. Her hand that was pinned above her head tingled and that surge of power channeled through her body and out that hand. A blast of energy shot forth, creating a hole in the rocks.
Elli doesn't remember much after that, but she had been told that the villagers saw the blast and dug her out. Her mother stayed home and nursed her back to health. She was questioned about her powers, but she didn't understand how she got them. Something responded to her pleas for help, but she didn't know what it was.
For a long time she hid in her house, scared of being attacked again the moment she left the comfort and safety of her home. Eventually she ventured out once more, and as she did she tried to learn to harness the abilities that had been granted to her.

About You: Finally, tell me about yourself. What do you look for in a game? What are you looking to get out of a game? What sort of player are you? To put it simply, fun. I'm hoping to be able to play a game that's a little more rp heavy than I normally get the chance to play. I'm also hoping to be able to play a character that has a bit of a darker side to them as I tend to lean more towards happy go lucky characters.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Holy crap somehow I've been working on this for almost 4 hours.

Basic InfoName: Aidric Ostoroth
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warlock (Great Old One - specific 'entity' TBD based on your world's lore, if something to that effect exists)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Charlatan
Level: 1

DescriptionPortrait: See Attached (110% stolen from Google)
Description: Lanky, with minimal muscle. ~5'11"ish, probably about 130lbs on a good day. Pallid skin (hey, we live underground), with long(ish) black hair. Light blue eyes, bordering on silver, but with golden flecks. Would probably look fairly sickly by our normal standards, but about average for undernourished people living underground.

Personal TraitsPersonality Traits: Glib and sardonic, bordering on cynical, but always ends with a smile and a chuckle. (ie: sarcastic, but tries not to be overtly obnoxious about it)
Bond(s):
  • I owe everything to my mentor -- a horrible person who's probably rotting in the dark somewhere.
  • A powerful person killed someone I love. Some day soon, I'll have my revenge.
Ideals: Aspiration. I am determined to make something of myself. (Any)
Flaws: I'm convinced no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.
Personality: Aidric hates living in Bright Hope, being surrounded by these walking corpses. The pointlessness of it all, the unending routine of a day-to-day existed marked only by mere survival, as if merely making it to the next day was the goal unto itself... the willingness to discard each other for perceived "safety".

But he would never say that out loud. The collective social "wisdom" is that this is "life", and to question that is to disrupt the careful little "community" that Aramis has fostered around himself. And being completely honest, remaining part of the group is objectively safer than trying to exist alone in the dark, if mind-numbingly unfulfilling. But he doesn't trust any of these people, having seen how readily they'll turn on people at Aramis's command.

So, Aidric plays his part with a smile plastered on his face. The only hints of his discontent with the status quo are the manner in which he responds to people. He always has a friendly face, and almost never says no to most requests... but there's always some quip, or sardonic remark at the end capped off by a smile which fades as soon as he turns around.

Finally, answer me these two questions from the perspective of your character:
1) If you were granted one wish in the world, what would it be?
  • Exposing Aramis as the tyrant he is, it won't be enough to just kill him.
  • Freedom from the oppressive mundanity of existence in this "village", wasting away my days scrabbling for scraps in the mud. Almost don't even care what form that takes, as long as it's... more than... this.
  • ^the above 2 are 2 halves of the same coin to Aidric, the first is just a self-satisfactory means to the second.
2) What is your greatest fear?
  • A pointless, meaningless death in the dark, with my life having amounted to nothing but feeding the rats... or whatever the hell else is out there.

BackstoryAidric never really knew his parents. At some point while he was very young, they were killed by bandits, or a cave-in, or some monster that made its way into the settlement... the specifics of it never particularly mattered since the end result was the same either way - they were dead. He was raised mostly by his older "sister", who may or may not have been related to him.

Cara looked after him for years, and taught him a bunch of really fun games as a kid. One of his favorites was a game where they would hide little things in town for each other, such as an extra loaf of bread, or some shiny rock they'd found in the tunnels, leaving subtle hints that only the two of them could pick up on. Another one was Cara would send Aidric to see how long he could talk to someone on guard duty, before they shooed him away. He always enjoyed that one, since any time he beat his record, Cara would always have some treat for him.

Then one day a couple years ago, Aramis and several of the adults came with weapons and confronted Cara. They held Aidric back, saying it was for his (and everyone's) own good, claiming nonsense like she was stealing food from the stores, and even that she had been responsible for a recent bandit attack. Aramis stood by, silently directing the others with simple hand gestures as she was taken away. She was exiled into the dark, and no one had heard from her since. Aidric was assumed to be uninvolved in Cara's actions, and was allowed to remain in the village.

Several years later, as Aidric approached adulthood, it dawned on him what Cara had been teaching him all those years, through their little "games". She'd been teaching him just how stupid and gullible the people around him were, blind to what went on around them. He'd always held Aramis responsible, but that simmering anger turned to a deep loathing. But for now, there was nothing he could do.

Disclaimer: I wrote this thinking more from Aidric's colored perception of events, not necessarily to dictate how your character acts. Aramis may well be a solid, upright leader for Bright Hope(or maybe he's not?), but Aidric views him as the ringleader who killed his guardian and thus the one-way hatred.

Disclaimer2: I realize I didn't write anything about Aidric's "powers" as a Warlock, or how he obtained them. That was semi-intentional. Being 100% honest, part of it is I couldn't think of a good way to introduce it without going off in an entirely different direction.

I'm viewing it more along the lines of he exists in this nebulous state of partial nihilism (bordering on absurdism?), accepting the pointlessness/futility of just surviving, but not yet completely willing to just roll over and die, but rather to do something with himself... starting with somehow engineering Aramis's downfall. Due to that particular mindset, something out there has turned its eye towards him for some purpose, which has manifested itself in Aidric's life as sometimes... stuff just happens around him when he thinks about it. He doesn't know what it is or where it comes from, he just accepts that it happens, keeps it hidden from other people, and that's it.

Out of game - I'm thinking about it in the sense of how Xanathar's Guide to Everything discusses the relationship btwn a Warlock and their Patron. In this case, Aidric is unaware of who or what is giving him these abilities, and as such has no idea what they want from him. It'll probably suck when he finds out.

If you'd be willing to work with me on that, I'd love to somehow work the process of him learning more about where his powers come from (as part of the process of leveling up?) into the game, although that would be up to you.

About You
Finally, tell me about yourself. What do you look for in a game? What are you looking to get out of a game? What sort of player are you?

My gaming personality varies depending on the medium. In-person/over Roll20 with my buddies, I tend to be a more quiet character/combat-oriented player because I don't particularly "open up" as far as RPing a "character" in the moment goes. Over PbP though, I love to lean heavily into the RP-side of things because the nature of it allows me to really pause and think about what it is I want to say/do and write that out with the opportunity to edit.

As for what I look for/what I'm hoping to get out of it... my favorite games (pen and paper, or videogames) are typically a combination of exciting interactions layered over a consistent, and interesting lore. It's been a few years since I've been active on this site, so I was looking for a solid 5e game to join and the concept here is really interesting.

Finally, as to activity - I'll typically be most active at night (US-Eastern), typically after 8-9pm. During the day I can usually find a few mins to do RP/discussion updates, but longer combat encounters would be debatable. As to post-frequency, 2-3x/week is more than feasible. There might be a few nights I'll get home late and be too tired to update, but on the average night I should be available if things are moving quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	80385  

Last edited by Houtoku; 05-30-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 475
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Name: Balor Krellin
Race: Human Variant, Feat: Magic Initiate (Warlock)
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Criminal

Physical Description: Balor stands at 5’10” and weighs 160lbs. His hair light light brown and short. His beard is normally well groomed, but has started to become unkempt for the past couple of days since he was locked up. The pale skin is pulled taut against sinewy muscle. Scars are apparent across various parts of his body that look to be claw marks or old sword wounds. His most distinguishing feature is his blood shot, half-lidded eyes surrounded by dark circles that look like he hasn’t slept in days.

His movements are usually slow and measured as if the world around him moved faster than he did. He constantly rubs his eyes and shakes his head to keep himself awake. Before he was incarcerated, he wore leather armor that was always kept in good condition and wore a rapier on his left and a short sword on his right. He use to carry himself with dignity and pride. Now he has the slumped shoulders of a defeated man.

Personality Traits: Tired, laid back, passive, observant
Bonds: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Ideal: I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
Flaw: I have a “tell” that reveals when I'm lying.
Personality: Balor is tired all the time. His lack of energy causes him to be laid back and let others make the big decisions that he will then follow. He sees no point in fighting about decisions that ultimately are the same such as deciding whether a group should go left or right. This is not to say that he is always on autopilot. In fact, it is quite the opposite. He is always watching and contemplating the world around him. There isn’t much he misses and uses that knowledge to add to the conversation when it is necessary.

If you were granted one wish in the world, what would it be? For all the people in the dark to come together to form one big community that could provide enough sanctuary for people to enjoy their lives instead of just surviving.
What is your greatest fear? My soul becoming corrupted with evil delicious enough that his master kills him in his sleep and takes his soul to devour.

Backstory: Balor was once a proud town guardsman of Bright Hope. He had defended the small community with his blades at every turn. He was well respected by the people and was content to a simple life. One day, his dreams were replaced by nightmares of when his mother was dragged away by some giant spiders when he was just a kid. The anger he felt at the guard who ran away in fear instead of saving his mother felt so strong that it carried over into the waking world. Each night resulted in the same nightmare playing over and over again with his remorse and hatred growing each day. At the end of the nightmare was a beautiful woman who would hold him in her arms and whisper to him, “It’s his fault that your mother lost her life. Shouldn’t you take his to avenge her needless death?” This compounded with lack of sleep from waking up with night terrors, led his thoughts to be clouded with hate and vengeance.

One day, his tired mind snapped and he attempted to kill the guard from his dreams while on patrol around town. The other guards were able to restrain him in time and cast him out into the dark. Alone with his thoughts, he was able to come to grips with what he had almost done and why he did it. It wasn’t him, and he truly had forgiven the man years ago for running away. Balor understood that him attacking the spiders would’ve only gotten him killed too. Something about his nightmares were causing his delusional state. It was then that he decided to try and keep himself awake as long as possible to prevent the woman from coming back or at least make himself so weak that he couldn’t act on his feelings.

He would hover around the community and try to subsist off the water and fish in the river as much as he could. Every now and then the villagers would shoo him away, but he didn’t know where the next source of clean water and food was. Days passed and he lay completely exhausted while huddled in a small rocky alcove that was semi-concealed. One night he eventually could not keep his eyes open any longer and fell asleep. The next thing he knew, he was staring at the same woman from the dream sitting in front of him in his alcove. She had a look of disappointment in her eyes. She shook her head and rubbed her temples. “You couldn’t even get a simple murder done right. Night after night of preparing you only to fail. I suppose it can’t be helped. You simply weren’t strong enough to get the job done. I see that now and will correct this oversight.” Balor spoke to the woman in a resigned tone. “Just kill me already and get it over with.” She cackled madly and wiped a tear from her eye. “Oh no. Death will not come so quick for you. You are not yet ripe enough. Just a little longer and your soul will become filled with hate and malice. Then I shall come for you and savor the sweet delight of a fallen soul. However, you won’t mature rotting away in a hovel for the rest of your life. So I think it’s time you had a taste of what power feels like.”

She plunged her long nails into his chest and dug deep. He could feel her practically squeezing his heart as he cried out in pain and thrashed against the walls. She removed her hand from his chest only leaving five marks in a circle over where his heart is. In those moments following, he could feel a power coursing through his veins like ice water. He suddenly knew about some magic incantations that he was now a part of. She laughed as she stood up over him. The pretty skin and face faded away to reveal the Night Hag that was hidden underneath. She looked at him with bright yellow eyes and razor sharp teeth in her smile. “I have blessed you as part of my coven and you will survive to fulfill my will for you. You don’t have a choice as I will always be with you in your dreams, knowing everything. I have a task for you, and you will see it through.” She gave one final cackle as Balor woke up in his hovel with tired eyes.

He looked around, but could find no trace of the woman except for claws marks in a circle over his heart. He could feel his power in the waking world too. He decided he should by his time as began to learn about the magic he could now use in order to escape his fate. He didn’t do it yet as he didn’t know what to do about finding another source of food or water. His time would come eventually though.

About you: I have been gaming in D&D for about 17+ years now and have branched our other systems during that time (Shadowrun, 7th Sea, L5R, etc). I have played in several 1+years games with frequent participation. I enjoy good role playing of personalities that work together to make the story interesting. I look forward to character development over the course of the game as all characters change in personality along with level and abilities. I am the type of player that tries to consider what everyone else thinks before presenting my own thoughts on the situation. I can post 1+ times a day and have never ghosted a game before.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 06-01-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Slight backstory alteration
Old 05-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 255
Draidden Draidden Draidden
Basic Info
Name: Rorik Ironvial
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Guild Artisan – Alchemist/Apothecary

Description
right-aligned image
Rorik stands 4'2” tall and weighs 148 lbs. He has light brown hair and beard, burnished golden skin and golden brown eyes. His hair and beard hang down to his stomach and he keeps them braided in several small braids to keep it under control. He wears worn leather armor with a shortsword and dagger hanging from his belt. He keeps a shortbow and quiver of arrows over his left shoulder and has a backpack which contains the rest of his personal items. He wears a wide brimmed, brown hat on his head to keep stray drops of water from hitting him.

Personal Traits
Personality Traits: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
Bonds: I will get revenge on the evil forces that destroyed my business and ruined my livelihood.
Ideals: It is the duty of all civilized people to strengthen the bonds of community and the security of civilization
Flaws: I'm never satisfied with what I have, I always want more
Personality: Rorik is all about community. He believes one should always do what they can to help the community. He did this in two ways. He learned about and opened a small Alchemist/Apothecary shop where he would trade herbal remedies to his neighbors. On occasion he would give some away if people were really sick and could not afford them.

The second is that he is very observant and has learned what he can about criminal skills. He uses these and his keen intellect to help solve mysteries and find lost items and catch criminals.

1) If you were granted one wish in the world, what would it be?
I would wish for the surface world to be healed and livable again so we could all move to a more peaceful location and have plenty of food to eat.
2) What is your greatest fear?
I am not sure what my greatest fear is as I do not think I have encountered it yet. I have a fear of extreme heights and spiders, but I can over come those with some effort. So far I have not encountered anything that struck so much fear that I could not struggle through it. I would guess your greatest fear would completely incapacitate you.

Backstory
Rorik grew up with his parents in another small town a couple days travel from Bright Hope. He grew up learning the trade of his Mom and Grandmother. Alchemy and apothecary. Not the magical type, but the type of learning how things can be combined to make healing concoctions or things like bang rocks which are used to make a loud noise and scare off some of the dumber monsters you encounter outside the villages. He also learned from his dad his knack for noticing things. His dad was a constable for the town and was very good at spotting things others missed. He did his best to train Rorik.

Rorik became fairly skilled at it and he enjoyed uncovering secrets as he did making medicinal concoctions and helping those who are sick. Unfortunately he stumbled into something that one of the town leaders was up to. He told his dad that the leader was stealing food and hording it so he could live in comfort while some in the village struggled to get enough food for a day. Unfortunately Rorik had no proof and the leader had moved the food by the time his dad came to check it out.

So Rorik was labeled a liar and trouble maker by the leaders and was kicked out of the village. His mom and Grandma had a small trade wagon that was heading out to some of the nearby villages to trade potions and other miscellany. They had Rorik go with it and in the hopes that another village would let him stay and set up a shop. He really like Bright Hope when he learned about how they worked together and protected each other. It took some convincing and the use of some of the medicine he brought to get the town to let him stay. And so for the last 4 years he has been part of Bright Hope. He does his best to help out with food gathering and any other work. And most of the townsfolk will come to him if they get sick or injured and he will help as best he can. He uses his trips out to gather food as a way to go out and find the herbs and things he uses to create the potions and help with other minor ailments.

About me
I have been playing D&D since the early 80's. Have played all editions and am just learning 5E. I stopped playing for several years as I did not have time for it. Now I really want to get back into it and figure PBP was the best way to do it and not have to spend a huge amount of time doing it. I prefer to play with groups who have their characters work together. Some minor conflict between characters can be fun as long as it is not allowed to hinder the groups progress. If I get in I thank you and will give you my best. I am still learning 5E and this forum. So far I really like what I see about the forum.

Last edited by Draidden; 05-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 255
Draidden Draidden Draidden
Sorry if the picture is too small. I am not sure how to adjust the size.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1503
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Sorry for the continued delay, I’ve been in quite a lot of pain the last few days so haven’t felt up to posting. I will try and get confirmation up soon providing the pain goes down a bit

Last edited by Tarus; 06-01-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:00 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2523
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
It's all good. You need to take care of yourself first
Old 06-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
It’s ok. We’ll still be here when you get well.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1872
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
No rush Tarus! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
No worries, chronic pain is a bitch and a half. Take care of you.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1503
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Sorry for the delay again folks, without further ado here are the selected chosen:

Dreamer: Elhana Ward
ihinka: Dellyra Fjellvik
ZazoAndrov: Berra
TheDragonQueen: Odida Proudward
Touketsu: Ayla Nix
Shaede: Bozmuth "Boz" Bloodfoot

Thank you all for the awesome applications and apologies to those who didn’t make it in, you all did great but unfortunately I had to cut the line at 6. Originally I was only going to take 4 but due to the high level of apps I had I upped this to 6, so great work all and anyone who wishes to be retained on a list for future consideration in the event of any dropouts just shout me below and I’m more than happy to do so.

For those of you who made it in, the link to the forum is in my signature.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I’ll wait in the wings if that is ok.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'll be around.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1637
ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov ZazoAndrov
Thank you for choosing me, looking forward to playing with all of you guys!