RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3854
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Finished!

Last edited by lydklein; 05-28-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:45 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3436
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
WIP, pay no attention to the man writing a Brood Korrigan Monk behind the curtain. "I AM OZ.... the Great and Powerful! Who are you?"
And for those asking: Yes, I am in fact mixing the real-life Buddhist rebel Shinran Gutoku with Blade: the Vampire Hunter, and am loving the ensuing mess so far, hopefully MeredithS will too.

Vampire Monk!
right-aligned image
Name: Shinran Gutoku
Race: Male, 544, Brood Korrigan
Class: Monk / Way of the Long Death (You should have seen my face when I discovered this subclass. It fits Shinran's concept like a blood-stained glove!)
Alignment: Lawful Evil (Bound to the ancestral traditions of the brood, cruel and uncaring for the suffering of mortals.)

Guild: Orzhov (Given the setting and Shinran's backstory, I'd imagine the aspect of the council of undead ancestors ruling from the shadows would matter more to him than any banking operations. Maybe Gruul would be a better thematic fit, having the brood turn to the Izzet against all honor and tradition, but for the love of me, I simply cannot make that choice from an aesthetic perspective. Some re-flavoring could be done either way, but I guess that depends on how close we are playing the guilds to their original forms.)

Appearance: Ashen and leathery skin that does not reflect the moonlight; dark and tattered burial robes, reeking with the smell of death at all times; a face as grim as a gargoyle, unchanging and unflinching. The monk displayed his undead feature with pride for the entire Wildlands to see, and only ever smiled after getting a taste of blood.

Even in the eyes of the Korrigan, Shinran is ancient: a walking corpse that has witnessed countless generations blossom only to turn into dust. His flesh has hardened with the centuries, his fangs have been broken more times than he cares to count, and his face is barely able to display emotion anymore, yet his voice is as terrifying and commanding as it was in the days of his youth, and the fire burning within his unbeating heart had never been brighter. There is purpose visible, palpable even in the way the old man walks and speaks, as inexorably and unnaturally he is driven to fulfill one last task for the honor of his brood.

Personality: The monk laughs, but his eyes and mouth do not laugh with him. The Korrigan bellows his wrath, but his expression remains still, and his body relaxed. Shinran likes to hold secrets close to his unbeating heart, and the only ones he trusts with them were those he loves, those that share his own blood, and those he feeds off. But since these three became one and the same, the monster's expression does show pain, and late at night during his slumber, even tears can be seen escaping his eyes.

I refuse to abandon the old ways, and I will not allow others to corrupt our teachings.

"...Hence, from now on there shall no longer exist parental relations with you; I cease to consider you my brood. I declare this resolutely to the three treasures and the gods. It is a sorrowful thing. It rends my heart to hear that you have devoted yourself to misleading all the people of the broods in the Wildlands, saying that the heritage of our blood is not the true teaching. Rumors have reached my ears that you have denounced the old ways and embraced the heretical practices of the lesser kinds. It is deeply deplorable..."

I’m a monster that destroys other monsters, and anything else that gets in my way.

"...Therefore, reverencing the traditions from our past and relying on the exhortations of the religious masters, I, the Bald-Headed Fool Shinran, abandon forever the once proud path of our brood, and separate myself once and for all from the promise of rebirth promised by the final dream. I turn to the true path, the basis of virtue and brood, and give rise to the aspiration for a true birth to those who protect our ancient calling. Now I have utterly abandoned the expediency of the false new paths, and have converted to the mysteries of the origin of our blood. I have separated myself straightaway from the aspiration for rebirth that would tear us apart from what we are, and I long to attain our promised birthright, no matter how difficult for you to fathom..."

Background: Haunted One (Haunted by the burden of his daughter's sins, and his harrowing, yet unescapable fate as her executioner.)

History: For 284 years did Shinran serve as the consort to the Gutoku brood's matron, becoming her most faithful servant, fiercest warrior, and most beloved partner and confidant before she finally embraced the unending dream of their ancestors. Over the decades, her memory slowly faded from the minds of the brood, with her now widowed husband safekeeping her name as his most precious treasure. In her absence, two new matrons came and went, keeping the bald monk as guardian, advisor, and even mentor, but it wasn't until the beautiful Eshinni was enshrined that his heart did beat once more. Thus, upholding the honorable tradition passed down since time immemorial, he offered his life to her, daring any younger would-be consorts to fight for such an honor. And fight he did, proving to his brood that the blood of the ancients still ran strong inside him, and to Eshinni that he would be a consort worthy of her, not despite his age, but precisely for it. And so, Shinran stood by her side for 133 years, fighting her battles, lifting her burdens, and fathering their beloved daughter, who was as precious as Eshinni, and as pure and powerful as the moon. To her, the girl Shinran knew would one day become matriarch as well, he gifted the treasure which not even the woman he'd fought for had been allowed to hear; the name of his first love: "Akane-Katsuki."

Akane grew during difficult times for the Wildlands. Violent times. Years marked by famine and danger which the Gutoku brood had never known, and which culminated in the assassination of Eshinni by a group of lawless mercenaries masquerading as righteous heroes. In his heart, Shinran feared to face his daughter, dreading she'd blame his weakness for this sorrow, but the woman he'd named as a child had grown wise and resolute, not once passing judgment on her beloved father. Without hesitation, she took the position of matriarch and overcame those who would defy her right, her mind set on saving her people from the suffering they had been subjected to. But Shinran would not live to see Akane fulfill her ambitions, for he'd grown old and tired, and the memory of his first beloved called him to rest at last. With a heavy heart and a parting kiss he embraced the Matriarch for the last time and prepared himself for the long death, the last words he would hear being "I love you, Bald-Headed Fool Shinran, I always did. The reason you never found my forgiveness, was because I saw no wrong to forgive. Now dream peacefully, for I will bring peace to our brood."

And dream he did, surrendering his mortal body to the ancient blood, and relegating the Brood and the Wildlands to those that still lived... but he would not dream for long. One year to the day of his slumber, he was suddenly awakened as his heart was crushed with a sorrow he could not understand. With a hellish shriek he returned to the flesh he'd left, and like a beast possessed he crept forward into the dark, seeking answers, and seeking blood. Much to his surprise, not a mile away from his resting place he found a human child staring at the night sky and satiated his hunger on his blood, and bones, and flesh, until there was nothing left and he had recovered enough to stand again. Then he heard someone else approaching, another human, crying horrifiedly at what he'd found. This time Shinran took his time, and just before this sacrificial lamb to his rebirth would expire, asked for his name so it could be saved and treasured for the great service his blood had provided. The man, with his last breathe, coughed an answer that nearly crushed the korrigan's heart anew: "Sensei... it is me... Zenran Guto... ku. You trained me... Ak... ane cured me..."

Shinran stood up at once, and proceeded to scourge the land and the dozens of humans that insisted on desecrating his brood's lands with their heresies and their lies. One by one he hunted them down, not even bothering to drink their blood, simply cutting them down like tall grass, deaf to their cries, desperate to find his beloved daughter. Eventually, he cornered the last of them, an old and feeble man who had not run, but instead patiently waited for him to come, watching without trace of fear as the monster had slaughtered his kind. And while the blood-tinged monk plunged his hand deep into his chest with every intention to rip out his heart, he spoke: "This is a man's death... which Akane-Katsuki granted me... I will not refuse such a precious gift." This sent Shinran into a rage so pure and primal that he didn't recover his senses until another day and its night had passed, as he found himself atop the crushed remains of the temple he'd brought down upon the old man.

As the monster advanced through the wildlands, an unbearable truth was revealed to him. Those he had cut down were his own, the Gutoku. Their matriarch had reached out to the heretical humans, with their wretched magic and unnatural science, claiming she'd find a cure for their curse. Shinran needed only follow the path towards the closest brood, and then the next, and the next, to confirm with horror and tears that his daughter had indeed robbed her people of their gifts and dissapeared into the world of mortals. The monk descended like a dark reaper upon each of these "cleansed" broods, and granted them the long death they had been denied, determined to stop the atrocities that Akane had committed. Soon enough, wind of the monster's revenge did reach her, as did the blood-curdling messages he'd left at each decimated village, written with the blood of their people. The last of them, the closest to her, read as such: "The compassion in the path of pure blood is to quickly grant the long death, staying true to our ways, and with the true heart of compassion and love save all beings completely as we desire."

RP Sample: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=189155

Posting availability: Daily if need be, may slow down a tad during the weekends. (As you can see, I have a bad habit of rambling needlesly from time to time.)

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 06-08-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Miacyne is complete pending rp sample. I can expand into the history if you'd like but it feels like it shows a good though example of it.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1389
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithS View Post
@Astra- alright. Great. With your RP Samples being entwined, I will need a few more days to work your dual scenario and who best to pair you guys with. I'll be in touch though so we can discuss the situation or scenario rather that I am leaning towards.
No problem! Take your time.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3650
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Will have mine done by Thursday at absolute latest. Will be good to go when the RP sample comes around.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2909
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
@delpinator

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-21-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Basics
left-aligned image

Kerra Black
Race: Human Female, Old
Class: Cleric of the Grave
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background: Acolyte (God Touched): As a child Kerra was always ill, struggling between life and death. At the age of sixteen she finally succumbed to a fever and passed. The gods of death met with the child and saw a soul that had not lived life but had always seen death looming. They offered to let her return to the material plane under certain conditions. She must speak of the time she spent with them, and serve them each with there own agendas. She must also promise to live the life she never had a chance to and only once she had experienced all she was meant to would she be allowed to return.

Description
right-aligned image
Appearance:
Kerra is forever trapped in the body of a sixteen year old girl, she has not aged in a very long time. Her skin is pale almost ghostly white with simple black makeup on her face. She has sad grey eyes that seem to look both distant and focused at the same time. When she speaks Kerra speaks softly and slowly in an angelic voice. She adorns her straight black hair with colorful beads.
The cleric wears the black robes of a priestess though she has a penchant for elegant jewelry, a trait she learned from The Raven Queen. The staff she carries is a gift from Jergal and it serves as protection and as a symbol of her power. She walks everywhere barefoot and rarely wears anything on her feet. Kerras left hand has been tainted with the necrotic embrace of shadow and death by the spells she casts. It is the only blemish on an otherwise perfectly preserved beauty.

Personality:
Despite being favored by the gods, I am no better than anyone else.
To some the concept of immortality and everlasting youth is a dream come true. Kerra however knows all too well that these "gifts" were bestowed upon her for a reason. As a prophet of the gods it is her duty to serve them above all. Guiding the souls of the dead, collecting memories, and performing funerals are all depressing business. She has watched as countless around her have passed on, many chosen by her own hand. Others she has tried to save from deaths cold embrace for a time only to find it eventually comes for all. She takes little joy in life and often envies those that seem so inspired to make their life count for something personal.

I have seen so much in my life that nothing surprises me.
Kerra has walked the world for a long time, the wastelands are but the latest in a long series of desolate and horrible places. The newfound technology and magical advances are very wonderful and anyone can recognize the convenience. However Kerra lacks the enthusiasm to be impressed by them. She clings to the old beliefs as the world moves on to others.
She has seen the horrors of war, disease, and famine.
She has seen the old replaced by the new.
She watches as the river of time continues to flow despite men's great attempts to change its course.
In the end, the true end that comes to them all, none of it really matters.

HistoryChildhood:
A Second Chance:

Last edited by JohnStone; 05-23-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
I've linked two basic maps at the end of the AD. One is just the world map (without names) and the other is a political layout of the Wildlands and ScarlaNoa. More detailed maps are in my forum, but I had to redo these recently due to an update on the site I use. The names of the small villages and towns that your using, if selected, will become part of the Wildlands map as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1038
epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1
Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Epelj1
Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Jim Faindel
Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@epelj1- I think so too! Take your time in your WIP mode. We have until the 6th to complete the RP portion and I don't think it will even take that long after you're finished with the app.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Made some more edits. I think I'll give it a day and then read through her a few more times. I'm thinking a rewrite might be in order, just to make her a little more cohesive.

Mechanically, would you recommend multiclassing anything with a Desperado Gunslinger? I envision her being dex/Cha heavy.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Ranger or warlock could be interesting for hex or hunters mark but it also has flavor for an edge toward certain types or a deal with the devil.