RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 01:05 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3854
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7339
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
APP STATUS: COMPLETE

Montage app
right-aligned image
Shiruk

Character Name: Shiruk
Gender, Age, Race: Male Aarakocra, 13 years old
Class /Subclass: Kensai Monk (4) / Grave Cleric (1)

Background: Investigator: In a place like the wastes where there is no laws, there are still rules of conduct other criminal syndicates abide by. Shiruk is who the syndicates hire to enforce their will upon others when doing so directly would be... politically unwise.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral: Criminal codes of conduct are important. It’s the social hierarchy that maintains order. It’s the only redeeming thing about civilization. Otherwise Shiruk would feel like everyone needed to be put down...

Average posting: 1-2 times per week.

Appearance: Shiruk has similar features to Aarakocra that exhibit hawkish characteristics, standing 5’ 3” tall. A curved, sharp beak, broad wings (wingspan of roughly 10 feet when fully outstretched), muscular upper torso, and sharp talons, with piercing yellow eyes. The main difference is the coloring of his plumage, which is unusual for an Aarakocra who exhibits the physical traits he does. Black feathers with some blue accents cover his entire body, his chest and some wingtips have bluish grey accents which can be seen under his clothing.

Shiruk wears no armor, opting to wear clothing which is durable and heavy enough to withstand the elements of the wastelands, but loose enough that it can be opened to keep himself cool during the heat. A sheathed longsword rests at his back between his wings, angled over his left shoulder slightly to draw with his right hand when needed. Slung across his shoulder is a very long bow, a quiver of arrows strapped and resting at the small of his back angled to the right, clearly to be drawn from that side. His clothing is similarly dark to his feathers, making the individual stand out in the hottest of days.

Personality: There is little in this world that surprises me, from either creatures or humanoids. I was not born in the wastes, but was raised alone amongst its dangers. Where others were defenseless newborns, I was forced to fend off and hide from some of the most fearsome monstrosities known in the land, surviving on my own. The wastelands became my mother.

There is a drive to not only survive, but reject the dominance of others. Growing up in the wastes you cannot only hide. You cannot only fight. It is a balance of instinct and insight. If you know you can fight and win then you should so others learn of your drive and you prevent further unnecessary death. You have to be strong to persevere, and only through exerting your own dominance is that shown.

History

Shiruk knows very little about the tribe he comes from, or the State of his homeland. The voice that often keeps him company when he is most alone has told him a seer of his people, the Moon-Gale tribe, foresaw a terrible fate for any who tied their ambitions to Shiruk. Born of feathers black as night, an anomaly and bad omen amongst his people, it was determined by the elders and chieftain that he would be exiled from the tribe, and left amongst the wastes where he would offer no threat to his kin.

Whether his parents protested, or he had any parents to speak for his well-being is unknown. All Shiruk knows is that he was left in the wastes as a hatchling, barely able to fly or fend for himself, and was expected to die that day in the wastes. That’s when the voice first began speaking to Shiruk. At first it was merely encouragement, ingratiating itself upon the Aarakocra hatchling.

Soon after, the voice offered directions, warnings, and lessons (flying, fighting, surveying). Eventually it brought Shiruk to an outpost in the wastes, manned by an elf of some kind, the voice called it a Shadar-kai. Exhausted from travel, and the trials of the wastes, Shiruk collapses just in front of the outpost.

In time, Shiruk was nursed back to health, and stuck around to aid the Shadar-Kai healer, Riesan, who seemed to take a liking to the young bird creature. It would only be a year before Shiruk realized Riesan’s motivation for keeping him around: a debt to the Corsico Crime Syndicate which was to be repaid with Shiruk, an exotic fighter for their Salazaar Death Pits.

Shiruk at this point was still too small to offer any worthwhile resistance, his wings not strong enough to lift himself, and was at the mercy of the Pit Overseer, a particularly cruel lizardman named Thaddeus Rex, who managed the Death Pots for the Syndicate.

A trainer at the pits, Yeoman, recognized a raw talent within the Aarakocra he felt was worth building, and not just to please the Syndicate with a prized fighter. Yeoman was a retired fighter of the pit, but still a slave to the syndicate. He saw a fearful determination within Shiruk, something he could motivate to spur rebellion within the Pits.

Years went by, Shiruk now 6, but fully grown and well developed for an Aarakocra, was a prized fighter at the Pit, as everyone worked to make him. However, what was particularly vexing for the Syndicate was the lack of “Death” in his fights. Indeed, likely to vex his “masters”, Shiruk seemed to spare his opponents from death, despite any grievous wound dealt to his opponent. Shiruk never held back in a fight, but all his opponents, even with broken limbs, seemed to recover mostly well after the fights.

Still, he drew a crowd, with folks giving him the moniker of “Reaper”, as an ironic nickname as no one died in his matches. What the Syndicate and overseer didn’t realize, was that Shiruk was intentionally sparing his opponents to engender loyalty and gratitude, and fill the fighter stables with those who felt a debt to the Aarakocra. When there were enough skilled fighters Aarakocra had subjugated to himself in this way, the uprising was swift and brutal.

Not a single Syndicate member at the Pits survived the sudden and violent uprising, except for Thaddeus. When they found the lizardman, his tail was missing from his body, a leg was seemingly pried off, and his hand had been beaten so hard it had to be surgically removed or risk necrosis to the rest of his body. Perhaps most disturbing of all, his lower jaw has been dislocated with a punch, and the right side of his face had 3 talon marks running down, across the eye. Thaddeus should have been dead, but somehow he was kept alive, barely, suffering his wounds.

From that point forward “The Reaper” was making his own destiny in the Wastes. Retaliation from the Corsico Crime Syndicate was expected, faced, and resoundingly crushed. In a land with no official laws, there were still codes of conduct that had to be respected and maintained, otherwise the crime syndicates couldn’t maintain order within their territories. Sometimes, it was politically impossible to seek retribution from other syndicates or even a guilty party within the organization. That’s when people sent for “The Reaper”.

Shiruk gained a reputation as a sword for hire that could get a job done. Need someone found? Protection for a short time? Need a message sent that couldn’t come back to you? Shiruk was the closest thing to an investigator you could find in the wastes, but he didn’t do it for maintaining order or a righteous goal. If you had the coin to hire him, he’d do the job if it didn’t conflict with whatever reasons or limits he held. If you tried to pull one over on him? Few people did that these days after the Behemoth Gang tried it.

Fifty bandits, all under the leadership of a Goliath named Behemoth. The tried to setup an assassination of a neighboring gang and pin it on Shiruk. Within a week, no one had seen any sign of the Behemoths. When a rival gang came to investigate, the found the Behemoth Fortress to be quiet. Gates closed and locked, as if no one had left. Upon entering, there were a number of bodies, necks sliced with neutral expressions as though they never saw a thing. Once they entered the main chamber, it was like a charnel house. Bodies strewn across the ground in piles, like waves smashing against a rocky shoreline. In the center, bodies were moved to make space for a central display: Behemoth, the Goliath leader, laid out on his back with arms crossed over his chest, and two wings painted on the ground outstretched from his back, beautifully detailed, horrifically, in his own blood.

The message was clear: don’t mess with The Reaper.

Last edited by MontageManiac; 05-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2909
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
@lydklein-
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Old 05-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3650
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
App is done. Hoorah!

Ready to do the RP sample.

Last edited by Nasrith; 05-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Awesome! I'll update the chart and add you to my line up! Well done = )
Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
I believe my app is done as well. Please let me know if I’m missing anything! Ready for the RP sample too.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Ok Montage! I'll update yours too.. I have quite a lot of RP samples either going on or starting this week. I think we're looking at the beginning of next week for yours. Im aiming by monday to start yours.

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3436
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
It is finished!

It was a lot of fun working on this app, and hopefuly we'll get to see more of the 'lil ol' vampire monk.
I ended up changing his alignment and subclass to better reflect his role and attatchment to the traditions of his brood, hopefully these new details will make for a richer, better realized character in the end.
Now we just wait for the RP session to be scheduled, unless any corrections need to be made.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Very cool Jim.. I'll update the chart and start prepping your scenario early next week. I'll be in touch via PM's with details before hand!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Announcement :

I've decided to close the the applications for any further interest. No NEW apps. For those still in WIP status, you still have to the 3rd to finish up, Selections made and announced on the 7th. We def. have a lot of players here with amazing applications and I'd like to focus on finishing RP samples the remainder of our time. Thanks!
Meredith
Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3436
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
I don't envy you Meredith, there are several killer apps in here to pick from
And on that note, fellow applicants, would y'all mind if I stole some of your characters to use as villains on my games?
They are just that good!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Also.. Just to remind everyone, if your Complete is in Green on the APP chart and you're not actually finished with the Sample, that's ok. It just reminds me that either you're close to being finished or you've wrote enough to be considered finished for my own purposes.

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-23-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by lydklein; 05-23-2019 at 06:20 PM.