twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1058
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Regarding hit points, as everyone is starting at lvl 0, please allocate 6 hp to your sheet (plus any modifiers, etc.)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7336
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
APP STATUS: COMPLETE
Montage app
right-aligned image
Donovan Whistler
Character Name: Donovan Whistler
Gender, Age, Race: Male Human Variant (Dual Wielder), 22 years old
Background: Charlatan
Traits: I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.
Ideals: Creativity. I never run the same con twice. (Chaotic)
Bonds: A powerful person killed someone I love. Someday soon, I’ll have my revenge.
Flaws:I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.
Appearance: Donovan stands at 6’ 1” tall, long black hair is tied in a ponytail behind, with a beard and moustache to create a pleasing and mostly clean look. He isn’t in the finest garb, but definitely has clothing that is well maintained. He walks with the confidence of someone who is completely secure in their self image.

Personality: Donovan embodies the aspect of dashing rogue like no one else you’re likely to come across. He’s charming, quick witted, well read, wiser than most, and is always running a con, even if Don himself doesn’t realize it. He rarely takes anything seriously these days, preferring to crack a joke or draw attention to someone else who doesn’t expect the attention. It’s all in good fun, as long as Donovan gets what he wants and can slip away to plot his next con. The last thing Donovan would want is to take responsibility for his actions.

History
Donovan was born in the town of Pine Shade, located about 10 days journey from Willow Grove. His parents ran a tavern in the town, The Roaring Sapphire, which had been passed down from generation to generation of Whistlers. When Donovan was about 12, he was sleeping on the second story loft when he heard a late arrival to the tavern. Hiding from his position, he saw a cloaked figure discussing something with his parents. The figure, a man, with a deep voice, was requesting, strongly, that they sell the tavern business to him. They politely declined, to which he then offered a threat: give him the tavern willingly and receive payment, or find themselves in poor luck.

Donovan’s parents were proud owners of the Sapphire, and again refused the cloaked figure. The next morning, Donovan left the tavern to play with some of the other children in town, but when he returned for the night, he found both his parents to be deathly ill in their beds. The town doctor, as much as they were one, could see no cause for the illness, and within a week both had passed. Too young to adequately run the inn, the cloaked figure returned, offering to help with the day to day, and reassured the town that their tavern would be maintained, eventually passing it on to the rightful own of Donovan when he was older.

Instead, Donovan was beaten, and turned into slave labor for the cloaked figure and his comrades who took over the tavern and inn. Donovan never saw the cloaked man that much, never bothered to learn a name, and indeed did not stick around to continue the dire situation he found himself in. Stealing what he could from the tavern, he ran off in the middle of the night to cross the island and find himself someplace new to make a name for himself.

Donovan knew the power of telling stories and getting people to like you within a first meeting. Using these skills, he managed to move from one town to the next, performing “slight” cons on folks just to eke a living out of the situations he found himself in. He knew his time was limited: the island was only so big, and you could only pull a con so often for people to become suspicious.

By the time he was twenty, he’d hammered out a rather convincing and elaborate alter-ego, Deremond Duke, Guild trader and caravanist extraordinaire! What is a caravanist you ask? It is not someone who HAS a caravan, or indeed travels with one, no it’s the person who arranges the caravan to be sent places, hiring the guards, arranging the traders, all for a modest cut of profits and administrative work. It was honestly nearly perfect, no one questioned the middle-man of an organization, and as long as he played it off merchants and guild members in cities that hated travelling to other cities, he could effectively manage one of the more impressive trade-networks on the island, all with the impression that he was in charge to attract “investors”, and shuffle funds and money around to cover tracks and fill the pockets that were needed. Some may consider this parasitic, but his “clients” were making money… he was just taking what he needed to live… plus 20%. That’s all…

Willow Grove was the latest site of his endeavours. He’d already worked up enough of a network with 3 other towns, and this was going to be his next “expansion”. He was still looking for a likely mark -er… “investor”, to help with the network. Staying at the inn on a merchant’s dime from the neighboring city, Donovan was going through his lines when he heard the screaming… this was not the norm he was used to…

Last edited by MontageManiac; 05-25-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
So if we have Proficiency in a skill from our background but we are lvl 0, do we have a Proficiency bonus to add to those skills or tool Proficiencies?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1038
epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1
Posting interest.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Hiruma Kohaku As a lvl 0 character, there is no proficiency bonus, just modifiers from attributes, feats, etc.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application - WIP
left-aligned image
Name Enola
Race Half-Elf
Background Guild Artisan Woodcarver, Cooper, Bowyer

Traits
(1) I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
(2) There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.

Ideals I work hard to be the best there is at my craft.

Bond One day I will return to my guild and prove that I am the greatest artisan of them all.

Flaw My pride will probably lead to my destruction.

Physical Description Standing at 5'-2" and considerably rounder than most, Enola doesn't quite fit the mold of a Half-Elf. No, somewhere down the line of her ancestors, her family had lost touch with the elven heritage, and started taking on a more human-like appearance prevalent in the village.

Personality Enola is not content to sit back and watch the world pass by around her. She sees others in the village making a difference, hunting, etc., and all she does is follow her family's footsteps. She knows, she knows, she's heard it a thousand times. Without their tools, those people wouldn't be able to make a difference. But it didn't change anything in her. She didn't want to enable the hand that made change, she wanted to be the hand.

History If Half-Elves were lovers of nature, explorers, adventurers, Enola's family had lost touch with being a Half-Elf ages ago. For as long as anyone can remember, Enola's family had been living in the same cottage (4 generations at any given time). Each line would carry on the family business, carving, woodcutting, etc., live out their lives doing that, and then eventually pass it along to the next line in succession. Enola's father, Dolo, had started grooming her to take over for him just last year. She's always excelled at the crafting portion, but now it was her time to learn the business side of it. This wasn't her goal by any measure. No, her dream was to step outside the village gates, to explore, to hunt, to prove her worth. She knew her creations were excellent, she'd heard it from enough customers to know it wasn't just kindness. She strove for excellence in her craft, but it was time she was the one using her tools, her weapons. She kept a bow at her bedside, waiting for just the right time.
Rolls

Last edited by epelj1; 06-03-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:25 AM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 297
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Sheet

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=80733

Also, that start location is good.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
I believe my app is complete. Please let me know if I'm missing anything!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Oakie Thanks for the sheet. Can you link it in your original app?
@Impaleddearan Thanks for the sheet. Can you link it in your original app?
@MontageManiac Everything looks good, thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Do libraries exist in this world?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Books from before the breaking would be incredibly rare and written works after that time period are not common enough to warrant stand alone libraries. There would be those that have accumulated some texts in their own personal collections, but nothing more than that.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
Starting location makes sense to me. I apologize if this was stated elsewhere, but do we wait for the deadline to see all the apps, then we’re placed in a survivors get picked scenario to follow?
Old 05-25-2019, 02:40 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
My location is fine with me.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 297
tom0eh tom0eh tom0eh
Location is perfect for me, boss!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@MontageManiac Correct. Everyone will have until the current deadline of June 7th to submit their application. From there it will take me a day or two to get everything set up, but then every applicant will begin the campaign in the town of Willow Grove (I will post a link to the game thread at that time). If more than the required number of applicants manage to survive the attack (I will be doing everything in my power to prevent this from happening, says the DM with a polite smile), there is an organic way that I will be able to select the party from those that remain.
Closed Thread