RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1358
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 772
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insacrum View Post
@Strange2099: For the traits that you select, you can only select one from any one sub-list. one race trait & one combat trait/ one combat trait & one region trait/ one religion trait & one faith trait, etc.
Unless you take the new exemplar traits, but those count as two so only useful with the extra traits Feat
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2071
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
right-aligned image

大杉乃木霊
Spirit of the Great Cedar
呼名: Kodama
職業: Sacred Guardian
種族: Tree Spirit
属性: Neutral Good
東西: Eastern
美点:
  • Arcane Temper
  • Twisted Tattoo
欠点:
  • Haunted

Background
Of the myriad legends and folkstories of The Kodama only itself knows what is true and what is fanciful embellishment and few if any would ever think to ask the great beast. Thus it has fallen to legend and hearsay and fevered mumblings; whispered words of a kitsune village hundreds of leagues from the capital of the empire of Azuma, sequestered in the mountains of the Fhang Zhi heartland. Long lost or otherwise never found by modern explorers, the legends speak of a hapless mortal who stumbled into the village by mistake in the dark of a violent storm. Lost and far from the even the mapped colonial territories of the day, the mortal is said to have unknowingly broken some primitive taboo of those bestial creatures. In their way they punished the mortal - at the tip of a hunters arrow. Though conjecture abounds as to whether the villagers thought the mortal was kitsune or not, what is agreed is that their village elder recognised an error in their killing of the mortal.

Should the rumours be believed, what happened next was neither an act of some divine intervention nor some grand arcane ritual; the primitive powers the kitsune prayed to were widely believed to lack the power of Imperial deities and all arcane academics laughed at the notion of a kitsune wizard. Nevertheless, through some appellation to their village's so called 'guardian spirit' - a great cedar at the heart of the village - the village's elder sought some undoing of their error. Merciful albeit alien in thought, the spirit is said to have not immediately responded as it had in times past. So it was that within hours the mortal appeared to die and in a show of penance for their actions, buried it at the base of their sacred tree. In time the mortal and all that had passed that night soon passed from memory till one fated day when the village once again besought the great spirits aid.

Then as now attacks on vulnerable villages by roaming bands of Yōkai were common place. Mountains and forests and remoteness ensured fewer assaults but inevitably, the raids would come. Though the village's hunters were prepared for assaults their greatest defence was the calling of the tree spirit's guardian by the village elder. In times of crisis the elder could conjure forth a great beast that possessed the elder's body and fought off all threats to the village. Never had the summoning failed until this dark day. For hours as the hunters ambushed Yōkai along the narrow paths ascending the mountain the elder prayed and called out to the cedar's spirit...

Legends do not say what happened to the village, nor do they point to where the village was. Some have taken this to claim the entire tale of the village and its spirit to be nothing more than superstitious rationalisation for a seemingly unique Yōkai. However in the rural highlands, on the frontiers where civilisation ends and wilderness begins persist whispers. Whispers of a village with a great protector - a protector that arose from the forest itself and remains to this day, stalking the heartlands for Yokai that would threaten its charge, destroying those who would threaten the village...

New rumours now abound the farmlands, whispers stalk the inns and cross roads of the colonies. A beast travelling in the unseen places of the lowlands. Glimpses of a great Yōkai amongst the bamboo and crouched by the river at night. A trail for those to notice its path from its mountains lay behind it while the expanse of colony and empire lay before it. Many claim it to simply be some terrible new Yōkai yet unmet, but there are others. Stirrings of hope and a warning. From kitsune village to elven town, farmstead to temple. A word passed ahead of the Kodama; a word cautioning against the troubling of the creature and a silent question.

Will Kodama join the great gathering at Jiaozou...?

NB:Open to shared background/story, just lemme know and we can bash it out (I'll also unlock the secret text for you)

Last edited by Oghain; 06-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 357
Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf Banewolf
Posting my interest and some basics, I'll try and add more later on

BorisName: Boris Van Der Haven

Race: Human

Class: Oracle (Lich curse, Juju mystery)

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Description: Boris stands at just about six foot tall, though lacking the strong build that would often be paired with it, instead being lithe and almost skeletal, not that that is often observed within his well-maintained steel armour. Without it, he prefers thick outfits, being more comfortable for the cold north he hails from originally. Upon his face he bears a dense, hazelnut brown beard that all but makes his mouth vanish behind it. The rest of the hair upon his head is cut just enough to save him from looking all too ridiculous as he attempts to command some amount of respect. His skin is fair and pale in contrast.

Traits (1): Gifted Adept (Animate dead)

Eastern or Western?: Westerner

Background: WIP

Last edited by Banewolf; 06-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
@Krow Nest

I'm happy enough with the state of my application to call Hastahili done.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1763
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insacrum View Post
@Strange2099: For the traits that you select, you can only select one from any one sub-list. one race trait & one combat trait/ one combat trait & one region trait/ one religion trait & one faith trait, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
Unless you take the new exemplar traits, but those count as two so only useful with the extra traits Feat
Hi Insacrum / Mrjoegangles,
Thanks for clarifying that! I remember reading that rule at the bottom of the link Krow sent, but then it slipped my mind after spending hours pouring over the long lists of so many traits...!

For Racial, I'll stick with the Nine-Tailed Scion. But for the 2nd Trait I'm having a hard time choosing...a number of interesting ones, but the final 2 I'm thinking of are either 'Master Illusionist' for the boot to Illusion spells (though I might not rely so much on them) and help off-set the Loneliness Drawback (only partially)
OR ELSE maybe 'Domineering' for the extra boost to 1 Enchantment spell.

Any tips on how to make the selection?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8880
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
@Oghain: Given that my character has some dealing with spirits from the east, and is being sent to the west by luck, happenstance, or predetermination, I think it would be interesting to have a brief meet before the games beginning timeline. Nothing too in-depth... assuming we are both selected.

@Strange2099: I think it really depends on what you want your first 3-6 months playing this character to lean towards: Illusion or enchantment.

Last edited by Insacrum; 06-05-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
99 times out of a hundred the best traits for a character are either gonna give you a new skill at a plus 1, buff a bad save, or give you an Initiative bonus (reactionary).
Spellcasters also go hedge magician for crafting or magical lineage for metamagic.

Personally I almost always go reactionary, regardless of character, going First is key you need to strike first or buff, especially as a caster.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Antipode, your sheet is all good
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2071
Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain Oghain
@Insacrum I did actually think that our characters would have some things in common when I saw your application. I think there is some potential there, yes.

Last edited by Oghain; 06-05-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1763
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjoegangles View Post
99 times out of a hundred the best traits for a character are either gonna give you a new skill at a plus 1, buff a bad save, or give you an Initiative bonus (reactionary).
Spellcasters also go hedge magician for crafting or magical lineage for metamagic.

Personally I almost always go reactionary, regardless of character, going First is key you need to strike first or buff, especially as a caster.
Again, thank you (and Insacrum!) for all the advice.

Not knowing to do anything better, I took Reactionary as my 2nd Trait.

BTW, I hope you don't mind me to point it out, but isn't your App for Yūsha Munōna missing from the little table on the intro post (although it was confirmed to be 'accepted'...it looks to be missing)?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I wasn’t sweating it’s absence, gm usually has a lot of work leading up to the game, figured he’d get to it eventually, worst case they usually have a last call for apps/critiques before selection so I’d have brought it up then.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Oh, I'm sorry man, I forgot to add you onto the table!!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2482
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Aside from the trait(s) & drawback sections, I think my application is done. I would like to note before you go and take a peek at it, that I did change my class to rogue. The humor of playing an almost literal skill monkey hit me on my way home from work today.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Everyone! Please finish your applications as soon as you can! I may have selected a team but everyone gets a fighting chance!