Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Runetide,

You had requested a bit of feedback on Battalion.

Here's what I got:

Story:
The story is ok: straight-forward background with little conflict and lots of luck and goodwill. Can't go wrong with that. His youth and inexperience are open for learning and growth.

Mechanics:
Overall, I find he's a moderate tank. With the right feats he can take that further if he wants to and become a damage resistant powerhouse. As a tank he's balanced to resist damage more than inflict it, but he's well equipped enough to bring positives to any team. But... his defenses may be too low. The benefit gained from a high Toughness may be lost by how easy it will be to hit him. Something to consider.

Other Observations:
Now that his "blaster" is gone, the points spent on "Ranged Attack" can be reclaimed. And I am not entirely sure how "Half-Effect" applies to Life Support: Suffocation, poison, or sleep. Am I reading that right?

Overall a good character.

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 183
SalmonMax SalmonMax
In similar vein, if you have feedback about Fulcrum, mechanically, I'm all ears. I've played M&M 3 before, but it's been quite awhile now.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 750
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
I'm open to feedback as well.

Personally I preferred Runetide's Silver Seraphim, but I may have been persuaded by the whole torch-bearing CoH backstory.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
I’ll take any mechanical review of Medic as well if you have the time. I know it’s a little left field to have a character that doesn’t attack or debuff at all. He’s pure team support and defense support (human shield lol).
Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
BrenanaBread
Hello! You can call me Bre. I hope I am not too late! I have been wanting to play Mutants and Masterminds for a while now. I am new to M&M, but not to tabletop or PBP. I still have more work to do, but I wanted to get my application in so I could get some feedback. I forgot that she gets a reduction in power point cost for her powers because her powers come from a device, so I need to reallocate points. Let me know what you think, though!

Character Info

right-aligned image

Hero Alias: Lady Luck

Hero Origin: Endowment of powerful crystal talisman by a secret organization

Biography: Charley was born into a powerful, wealthy family who profit off of others’ misfortune (the exact nature at your discretion). She has always opposed her family for refusing to use their money and influence make the world a better place. Once she was old enough to access her trust fund, she began her career as a philanthropist.

One day, Charley was contacted by a secret organization (name at your discretion) that confiscates magical artifacts in order to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. They informed her that in the past they had been storing the magical artifacts in a high security facility for safe-keeping, but an evil villain (at your discretion) broke into the facility and stole a very powerful artifact.

Thus, the organization decided it is safer to identify individuals capable of wielding the magical artifacts responsibly. The organization determined that Charley’s selfless disposition makes her worthy of wielding a crystal talisman called “Fortuna’s Favor”. Fortuna’s Favor brings luck to the wearer, but if this luck is used for greedy purposes, the talisman becomes corrupted and curses the wearer. If Fortuna’s Favor is used selflessly, then it empowers the wearer to control fate to an extent.

Strengths: Charley is selfless and puts her obligations to others before her own desires. She is attractive, and well-connected due to her family’s reputation and wealth. Her powers revolve around protecting allies from misfortune, making her a versatile asset to any team.

Weaknesses: Charley is judgmental because she has high expectations of herself and others, particularly those in a position of power. She is also very sincere, so if deceiving others is necessary to gain an advantage, she should probably wait in the car. She can be rendered defenseless if an enemy manages to remove her crystal talisman from around her neck, because she is an ordinary human without it. She can also potentially be cursed if for whatever reason she uses her talisman for a selfish purpose. Charley was already well-known because of her family and her philanthropic endeavors, but after becoming Lady Luck, her fame took on a life of its own.

Stats
Lady Luck - PL 9
Strength -1, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity -1, Fighting -1, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Inspire 5, Leadership, Seize Initiative, Ultimate Effort, Extraordinary Effort, Second Chance, Teamwork, Attractive 2, Connected

Skills
Persuasion 16 (+24)

Powers
Luck Control 9 (Area, Luck, Selective)
Deflect 9 (Reflect, Redirect)
Healing 9 (Energizing, Perception, Ranged, Restorative, Persistent)

Complications
Responsibility: She believes that it is the responsibility of those in power to change the circumstances of the less fortunate. She is motivated by this belief, and uses her powers, money, and influence to help those in need.
Power Loss: She can lose all of her powers if Fortuna's Favor is taken from her neck. She keeps the necklace tucked away for this reason.
Honor: She lives by a code of selflessness and sincerity. Fortuna's Favor can curse her if she slips up and uses her powers for a selfish purpose.
Fame: She has the attention of the media simply because she is a Kensington, but also because of her philanthropy and outspoken attitude toward her own family. Now that she is also a superhero, the media cannot get enough of her.

Languages
English

Power Points
Abilities 6 + Advantages 14 + Skills 8 + Powers 107 = 135
Old 06-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Draidden
I would like review of Titan as well. By anyone. Not only mechanics, but if I goofed up something in the background or even a suggestion on how to make it better.

I saw others posting on how their characters may have met. With mine it is fairly simple, they would have had to meet him during his training.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8726
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Attempting to get this in under the wire. I have a character sheet mostly done if needed.

Iceia
left-aligned image
Name: Stacey Profett

Country of Origin: USA

Power Set: Ice Generation - Environment control (cold), create and blast ice. Decent Unarmed Combatant.

Power Origin: Mutation

Physical Description: Stacey has blonde hair and green eyes. She is 5'11" tall and wears a black leather jacket and black jeans most of the time. She's pretty, and fit. She loves to dance and listen to music when able to let her hair down; this is literal as she keeps her hair up in a ponytail when working, and lets it down when relaxing and having fun. Her blond hair is naturally straight and comes down to the small of her back when brushed out.

Personality: Two words. Fun, and Sassy. "I'm good people. As long as we can let our hair down when this is all over, and maybe a little in between, I'm happy. And we do get paid, right? Eventually? Good."

Brief History: Her background is a mystery. As a baby, she was left on the doorstep of a Long Island orphanage. She grew up in a series of state institutions and foster homes (one of whom gave her her name), never quite fitting in.
Although she was a nice enough girl most of the time, something about her — including the way her hands were always so cold! — seemed to put people off . When she was around 14, She decided she’d had enough. She ran away and began living on the streets of New York, surviving by stealing. She hung out with street gangs and often got into trouble with the police, but was never arrested. One day, shortly after she guessed she had turned 16, she got caught shoplifting from a market by the store’s owner. Deciding he’d teach her a lesson, he locked her in his freezer “just for a few minutes.”
When the police arrived, the sergeant in charge went in first to speak to her. When she found that Stacey wasn't even cold, or shivering, and actually sitting on frozen foods without a care, she covered her predicament up.
She took her home to her house and her wife, and started to slowly melt the heart of young Stacey.
There's been some bumps along the way, but lately an unknown Superhero has been stopping crime in NYC and going by the name 'Glacier Girl.'
This is Stacey, and she is going to start anew on the other Coast with the Silver Guardians under the moniker, 'Iceia.'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iceia.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	80535  

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 06-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 995
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Verdant Glitter,

Any more considerations or alterations on the Garou character? Are you sticking to your guns on the "permanently inhuman and unable to speak"?
Oh, uhm, yes, hahah. I didn't get a response back on page.. 5? (wow this is a fast-moving thread!) so I kinda figured her inability to speak was a straight deal-breaker! As I mentioned back there, she isn't human, and it's part of the character, sooo... :3 It is all good!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdant Glitter View Post
She is always wolfed-out, hahah I like that term, yes. The character concept is actually from my old City of Heroes/Villains character (Super Strength/Invincibility Brute, fun times,) who is an errant hound of the Wild Hunt. Being a pack animal, she does work well with others and takes orders well, she just doesn't give them easily (unless you count barking, howling, or growling as effective orders!) I could tweak up her old app and post it, let you read over it and see if she'd fit, if that'd just be an easier way to gauge if she'd work in the setting? :3
Answering your latest post, you did need a reply.

Go ahead, please. Tweak and post her old app. Let's have a look at it.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Looks several people want an opinion. Sure. As long as you all understand it is an opinion, and a different person may give a different answer.

This may take a bit.

On that note, I'll be closing this round of recruitment in a few hours, 10 pm PST, which is the timezone my lair is at.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Attempting to get this in under the wire. I have a character sheet mostly done if needed.
He he... alright. Slipping it under the mantle as the door closes.

Sounds good. I'll have a chance to start looking at all the applicants and ideas tomorrow. I'll also be able to spend more time on the feedback.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 821
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Runetide,

You had requested a bit of feedback on Battalion.

Here's what I got:

Story:
The story is ok: straight-forward background with little conflict and lots of luck and goodwill. Can't go wrong with that. His youth and inexperience are open for learning and growth.

Mechanics:
Overall, I find he's a moderate tank. With the right feats he can take that further if he wants to and become a damage resistant powerhouse. As a tank he's balanced to resist damage more than inflict it, but he's well equipped enough to bring positives to any team. But... his defenses may be too low. The benefit gained from a high Toughness may be lost by how easy it will be to hit him. Something to consider.

Other Observations:
Now that his "blaster" is gone, the points spent on "Ranged Attack" can be reclaimed. And I am not entirely sure how "Half-Effect" applies to Life Support: Suffocation, poison, or sleep. Am I reading that right?

Overall a good character.
Sorry about that. My character builds for MM3 always come out lackluster since I feel like pushing the 'max' of what your PL allows feels too much... munchkiny to me? I dunno why but it kind of makes me build with imperfections and stuff. It's a hard habit to break.

I can try to fix it up. I feel like there's something I'm just not Grok-ing about M&M character design.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:17 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Quote:
Answering your latest post, you did need a reply.

Go ahead, please. Tweak and post her old app. Let's have a look at it.
Will dooo in just a bit here, hahah. Tweaking old apps makes me chew on a nail rather a bit, what to excise, what to change, what to keep. Annnd looking over it I get really self-conscious about how much I blather on on some things. I'll have to use a lot of spoiler buttons for the long-winded background story stuff!

Edit: Oof, dropped it down. Apparently I still have a Hero Lab sheet for her too! PL 8 tho'. Did I mention it's been ages since I dealt with M&M, and even then I had little experience with it and I have no idea if it was practically designed? :3c It was a bit of a hard and quick app edit (and probably too wordy too!), but do let me know if there's any questions or suggestions or what-not. I could try to slap up this sheet sssomehow too, even though it's a PL behind. Spoiler: It's focused on hitting hard (when hitting) and being able to soak up all the damage.

Last edited by Verdant Glitter; 06-04-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:28 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 142
Charlotte Charlotte
Room for one more, or is the deadline a hard-and-fast one?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Application: Kariena!Name: Kariena

Power Origin: Supernatural.

Battle Type: Melee brute.

Appearance & Personality: Massive, strapped with muscle, and sheathed in a plush pelt of a dark, earthy fur, Kariena bears all the appearance of a physical manifestation of raw, bestial strength. Every movement surges her voluminous pelt, the thick muscle rolling powerfully beneath her hide. For all that she could be a terrifying sight, her demeanour and airs is more that of a puppy that is happy, and eager, to dive head-first into any fray. She is exceptionally nice, if a bit simple, and if she can speak it has yet to show - She always communicates via animalistic sound and simple pantomime.
She may be attractive, if the bestial qualities does not deter. She is towering, corded with sinew, and her physicality errs toward the humanoid; healthily endowed and bereft of vestments, the fact that most men and women find themselves at chest-level with her can be socially awkward, but when one figures in the range of tons she weighs and the fact that she stands in excess of ten feet when fully erect, such pronounced distractions tend to be unavoidable. Her sole garment is a wide leather collar around her throat, worn smooth and featureless but for the faded brass imprint of her name; there is no latch to the collar and no seam or stitch can be found, and though it doesn't choke or discomfort her it is too snug to slide off from about her head. She's sleek, clean, and well-groomed, with the shaggy expanse of her fur providing adequate modesty.
Fortunately, despite what appearances might suggest, she is a surprisingly docile, even cheerful and affectionate creature. Although she possesses a definite predilection toward combat, whether it's the thrill of an actual fight or simply 'throwing down' in a spar, she also finds delight in music - Play a pulse-pounding rhythm while giving her a giant mechanical foe to brawl, and she will be the happiest of giant pups. Technology is a peculiarity to her, a thing of curiosity, and while she adapts relatively quickly to things, some of it can still startle her (her mentor has had to replace several phones, two computer monitors, and a phonograph. That last one was costly to replace, it turns out.)

Biography: In short, the Wild Hunt has lost one of its hounds. Across cultures and ages, this enigmatic, mythological entity has had many names and descriptions, with the most shared attribute being that the Hunt's appearance is an ill omen, fating war, famines, plagues, and most of all death where they ride. That would be the Hunters, though - Alien and cruel, with plots and intents unknowable to mankind. Their hounds are another matter, and centuries past humanity's primagen arcanists began the ages-long process of unbinding these powerful creatures from their wicked masters; by whim of fate or chance, such a one has broken free, albeit at the hands of several members of the Thule Society, an underground cabal of nefarious mages. What they thought they were summoning - A powerful controllable weapon - turned out to be less than pleased by their intent; the appearance of the now-retired Scarlet Moon, a magic-focused hero of some advanced years and experience with supernatural and transdimensional adventures, brought the situation to heel, and over several years he has carefully groomed and trained the creature to be a force for good instead of evil. He is very, very old, however, and cannot be her handler forever; she will need a new one eventually.

Indepth Biography!

Strengths: Raw, unfettered power, and a hide that's resilient to damage. Even with consideration to her immense size, the wolf's physical prowess far surpasses what one might think she should be capable of; the same goes with her capacity for shrugging off attacks on her own person. Simple powers, but her origin or breeding didn't require much more than the capability to inflict as much immediate damage, and ignore the same, as possible.

Weaknesses: Her great size and considerable weight can be a hindrance, but the most notable deficiency is her form itself - She doesn't seem to have any capability to speak any human tongue (though she shows exemplary understanding of all tongues spoken to her), and her huge and monstrous appearance can be extremely alarming to anyone unaccustomed to her presence. Cold iron can have a nasty effect on her otherwise impressive resistance to damage, and she may have one or two preternatural entities or organizations attempting to track her down.

Stat Block!Kariena - PL 9

Strength 12, Stamina 9, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 5

Advantages
All-out Attack, Chokehold, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Interpose, Takedown 2, Ultimate Effort: Resistance

Skills
Athletics 2 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+6), Intimidation 2 (+9), Perception 2 (+6), Ranged Combat: Throw 2 (+2)

Powers
A Keen Sense: Senses 3 (Acute: Scent, Tracking: Scent 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing)
Agless, Timless: Immunity 9 (Aging, Critical Hits, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All))
Can't Keep Her Down: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds; Persistent)
Combat Array
. . A Most Brutal Strength (bludgeoning; Innate, Penetrating 12)
. . Baleful Howl: Cone Area Affliction 8 (sensory, sound, 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Compelled, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 18, Selective; Limited Degree, Noticeable: Extremely Loud, Sense-dependent: Hearing)
. . Go for the Throat: Cumulative Affliction 8 (piercing, 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Accurate: +2, Cumulative; Grab-based)
. . Swipe of the Claws (slashing; Multiattack [4 extra ranks])
Comprehend: Comprehend 1 (Languages - Understand All)
From the Very Brink: Immortality 2 (Return after 1 week)
Growth: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 STA, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size rank, +4 mass ranks; Innate)
Hide of Steel: Impervious Toughness 8 (Innate)
Like a Wolf Out of Hell: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Without a Trace: Movement 2 (Safe Fall, Trackless: Sight 1)

Offense
Initiative +0
Baleful Howl: Cone Area Affliction 8 (DC Will 18)
Go for the Throat: Cumulative Affliction 8, +2 (DC Fort 18)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 22)
Throw, +2 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 27)

Complications
Disability - Massive: "The creatures bears the appearance of an extremely large and heavy wolf-like entity. It is humanoid in structure, but with a lupine appearance - A rudimentary and simple descrption might label her as 'werewolf,' but having contended with and known several, I can safely say she is neither. I am unaware of any that reaches her height or weight, for instance, and most have finer motor skills than she seems to possess; her size is often an impediment to managing doorways, and her weight has broken several vehicle axels."
Disability - Mute: "Simply put, she does not speak. What communication she offers is delivered in the forms of animal sounds and various gestures. While this can get the point across for simple matters,the nuances of conversation escape these dialogues. A pity."
Enemy - The Thule Society: "The organization that summoned her, naturally, is quite interested in reacquiring her for nefarious purposes. it goes without saying that preventing this is quite important. Likewise, the beast has an understandable hatred for these underground arcanists, and has apparently learned to recognize the distinct insignia that marks them."
Monstrous: "More than a few law officers and civilians have expressed a disquieting feeling to being in the subject's presence, which we have attributed to the simple fact that she is an extremely massive creature that could potentially dismantle a tank with her bare claws. Understandable, if regretably so."
Motivation: Doing Good: "For all the pieces of lore and erata that I find concerning the nefarious entity she is originally associated with, I have a hard time believing she could ever have been chained to them. She strives to be helpful, though her considerable size and attributes may make her actions a degree... Clumsy."
Motivation: Thrills: "Gentility aside, she has no small love of battle - She does not appear to be any more joyful in any activity thus far witnessed than in combat. Mock-battle and exercises seem to satiate her, but it is clear she would prefer the real thing."
Secret - The Wild Hunt: "It is perhaps good fortunate that none have suspicions of her origins as those assigned to studying her and the select individuals with appropriate access to these records do - The Wild Hunt, if she truly belong to it, has had astoundingly negative impacts wherever it struck. Deaths, disappearances, plagues, wars - Harbingers or heralds, I cannot say."

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge -2, Parry -2, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 65 + Advantages 13 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 133

Last edited by Verdant Glitter; 06-05-2019 at 04:02 AM.