Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 05:59 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Runetide,

Battalion looks good as a concept, and seems thematically well built.

I am not entirely sure what your question entails, about sacrificing defenses for Toughness. At a PL 9 game, the rules allow for variation on Defenses vs Toughness. Personally I would not go past +/- 5 in either direction (4 Defenses/14 Toughness or 14 Defenses/4 Toughness) as more than that may skew the character too much (but it all depends on the concept). So, I see there's plenty of flexibility in this already. Can you tell me more about your request?

Otherwise I see that he has a lot of options.

His present Defenses of 3/4 to Toughness 8 ratio puts him at PL 6 in a fight. He may be a bit under-powered there.

Am I getting this right?

(Did you by any chance build this with HeroLab? If so, would you be able to link the POR file?)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 679
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Ah ye gods, this is really hard!

I have narrowed down my list to a super-telekinetic, a batty inventor, and a super nice shapechanger who assumes monstrous forms...

I'm getting there!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
You can also Use this link to access the SRD for the mm3 system!
Nice! Freebie.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Ah ye gods, this is really hard!

I have narrowed down my list to a super-telekinetic, a batty inventor, and a super nice shapechanger who assumes monstrous forms...

I'm getting there!
Please don't explode.

The last player that blew up like that left little bits all over my browser. I had a lot of cleaning to do that weekend.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6TW_J_Shww

Fortunately, recovering from asploding is my superpower.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Head go ka-blooey!

Old 05-31-2019, 06:52 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Runetide,

Battalion looks good as a concept, and seems thematically well built.

I am not entirely sure what your question entails, about sacrificing defenses for Toughness. At a PL 9 game, the rules allow for variation on Defenses vs Toughness. Personally I would not go past +/- 5 in either direction (4 Defenses/14 Toughness or 14 Defenses/4 Toughness) as more than that may skew the character too much (but it all depends on the concept). So, I see there's plenty of flexibility in this already. Can you tell me more about your request?

Otherwise I see that he has a lot of options.

His present Defenses of 3/4 to Toughness 8 ratio puts him at PL 6 in a fight. He may be a bit under-powered there.

Am I getting this right?

(Did you by any chance build this with HeroLab? If so, would you be able to link the POR file?)
My question was if you were allowing the variation on defenses. I was thinking just boosting his toughness to 12. I still need to cut back a few things to fine tune the build, but I will update my application with a completed version (and I can link you the POR once I figure out what I'm trying to do). I am going to 'turn off' (read, remove) his wrist blaster for now, since your group already has some heroes who can do ranged damage.

Here is the POR file

Last edited by Runetide; 05-31-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Character Info

Hero Alias: Fulcrum

Hero Origin: Psychic/Mutant

Battle Type: Ranged Attack

Biography: Renata is the daughter of Thomas Hodges, a United States Senator. After having a difficult time in high school, Senator Hodges pulled some strings to see to it Renata got a clean slate and passage to a good university. In the process however, he used his influence to ensure that she wouldn't be able to pursue the far-too-dangerous coursework in Criminal Justice that she had originally set out for. This opened a rift between them that has yet to be mended. As a way of trying to assert herself, and work through her various issues, Renata took to being a 'campus vigilante' after hours. This led directly to her getting in over her head...at least until her powers, until then subconscious and repressed, burst out and saved her at the cost of neighboring vehicles.

Since then she has continued and expanded her clandestine vigilante work...with the addition of actual super powers allowing her to operate more openly, and expand her territory well beyond the school grounds. She's worked hard for the chance to be a Silver Guardian; it's not only a major thumb in her overbearing dad's eye, but a logical extension of what she wanted all along.

She's absolutely terrified of messing it up.

Strengths: Fulcrum is a very powerful telekinetic, able to lift over ten tons, but skilled enough to work with delicate manipulations as well. Her powers have no audible or visual effects associated with them either (aside from objects moving around). In addition to throwing things, she can exert telekinetic force directly...to deflect attacks or stop them before impact. This can be done for herself, or at range. Further, while she is unable to exert telekinetic force directly on herself, she's learned to catch hold of her clothes to fling herself in the air for short hops or slow her falls. Renata's also found she can stand on objects, then move the object in order to carry herself around.

Weaknesses: Renata can be hot-tempered and impatient. She tends to reach decisions quickly and emotionally, and then want to act on them. In addition, her wealthy, influential family that she is keeping her super identity secret from often complicates her situation considerably.

StatsFulcrum - PL 9/135
Attributes 30pp
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Advantages 5pp
Attractive 1, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Benefit: Wealth/Family Influence, Equipment 1

Equipment (5)
- Smartphone (2)
- Laptop computer (1)
- Nightvision goggles (1)
- Weighted gloves (basically brass knuckles) (1)

Skills 20pp
Athletics +6 (6), Close Combat: Unarmed +8 (3), Ranged Combat: Telekinesis +5 (3), Deception +6 (5), Expertise: Guitar +5 (5), Insight +7 (4), Intimidation +6 (5), Perception +8 (5), Stealth +6 (4)

Powers 65pp
Telekinesis 43pp
TK - Move Object (Perception/Damaging, PF Precise, PF Subtle 2) 9; 39pp
- AE TK Grip - Affliction (Perception/Cumulative, PF Subtle 2, vs Fort, Dazed/stunned/incapacitated) 9; 1pp
- AE Throw Big Object Really Hard - Damage (Ranged, Line Area 1, Armor Piercing 4, Indirect 4) 9, 1pp
- AE Throw Lots of Little Objects - Damage (Ranged, Multiattack, Homing 2, Armor Piercing 1, Indirect 4, Accurate 4) 9; 1pp
- AE TK Force Fields - Create (Selective, Movable, Subtle 2) 9; 1pp

Reflexive TK defense 11pp
Protection 7; 7
Enhanced Defense: Dodge 4

TK-enhanced Mobility 11pp
Leaping 3; 3
Movement 1; 2
- Safe Fall
Flight (Platform, PF Subtle 1) 5; 6 (60mph)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +
Throw, +
Unarmed, +8 (DC15)
Telekinetic Strike, Perception (DC24)
Telekinetic Grip, Perception Affliction vs Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated (DC24 cumulative)
Throw Big Object Really Hard, 5'x30' line (DC 24, -4 toughness)
Throw Lots of Little Objects, +9 multiattack, homing 2 (DC 24, -1 toughness)

Complications
Motivation: Prove herself. Though part of what drove Renata to want to go this way in the first place was to placate her simmering anger against 'good' targets, this is about more than just that now. This is about her having control over who and what she is. This is about demonstrating to anyone who doubts her that she can do this. Herself most of all.

Secret Identity: Renata is very concerned about what could happen if Fulcrum is ever connected to her real identity publically. In this case though, it's not so much because she's afraid crooks would go after her family...they have security details for that...it's because she's afraid her father is still in a position where he can crush this dream of hers, at least until she is fully a part of the team.

Meet the Buttinskies: The Hodges are in the limelight, and are very aware of that scrutiny. They exert pressure on all the kids and themselves to fly straight and narrow, and not wind up on tabloid front pages. As such, they're very...involved...with everyone's business. After all, if Renata or one of her brothers messes up, it's Senator Hodges who will face the heat. He has a vested interest!

Tempramental: Renata is...passionate. She has strong feelings, and isn't always great at containing them. This means some good things...but it also means some challenges.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9 (3), Parry 7 (2), Fortitude 7 (5), Toughness 9, Will 7 (4)

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 65 + Advantages 5 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 135

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-03-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 779
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
Do I need to submit with a character sheet?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:57 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyninja29 View Post
I don't think you NEED one, I just got excited....
Old 05-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SalmonMax,

Consider this from her weaknesses,

Quote:
Weaknesses: Renata is hot-tempered and impatient. She tends to reach decisions quickly and emotionally, and then want to act on them. In addition she can be very defensive and sensitive to criticism. In addition, her wealthy, influential family that she is keeping her super identity secret from often complicates her situation considerably.
The Silver Guardians is a public organization, and very conscious of public opinion. It is frequently before cameras, under observation, and giving press conferences and talking to public officials. Anyone in the organization will have a spot in the news front and center. She will not be able to hide at all, since news of Silver Guardian activity is often broadcast over national channels as current events.

In addition, as an established team, a certain individual maturity and team 'esprit de corps' is desired/expected from its members.

Do you feel Fulcrum will able to meet those expectations with her current personality? If she remains this way, the psych eval will declare her unfit for team work, unable to take directions easily, and too volatile to be entrusted with life-or-death situations.

Tell me how she's changing during the "action and observation" stages of her application. =)

I like the character, and the power set is good, practical, solid. Her story is fine. But the concept may not fit into the Guardians as they exist now. Especially her "Fist of Vader", which welcomes, through name and effect, an association with a fictional Sith Lord of popular movies and sci-fi themes. Although that one is not that important, since it can (potentially) be used judiciously.

What would you like to do?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyninja29 View Post
No, not really, but you may if you want to. I can begin examining the character build sooner if you do.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
My question was if you were allowing the variation on defenses. I was thinking just boosting his toughness to 12.
I am not familiar with any variations on Defenses other than the standard balance considerations. I suspect that you may have been playing other M&M games with homebrew rules of which I know nothing.

Since I am working pretty much "by the book", I would probably be inclined to say "no". But on the flipside, you also won't be encountering any antagonists that would be taking advantage of such alternations. Things will be fair and balanced.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Does membership in the Silver Guardians preclude other kinds of organizations, like owning a business or anything? Does it come with wages or is it more of a 'club' type deal?
Take a look at the link in the first post. It will take you to the original game design details.

The Silver Guardians is pretty much a "full time job". You get paid, you have personal rooms at HQ, and you are expected to work as a trained team. Since they often deal with situations that may involve people getting killed, they sorta take that part seriously. But despite the pressure, they try to take things as easy as they can, considering their circumstances.

(It won't preclude owning a business in any way, but the Guardians expect their members to put membership responsibilities as their first consideration. They don't mind what you do on the side as long as it does not interfere with your availability and it does not reflect negatively on the organization.)

Think of it as joining the local "Justice League". The heavy hitters are earnest and serious because they deal with heavy subjects and situations. The part timers are more leisurely because much of the pressure is taken on by the heavy hitters. New recruits to the Silver Guardians are somewhere in between: more than part-timers, but not expected to handle world-spanning conflicts with global consequences... yet.

There is a third level of participation: contingent or provisional members. They are not full time members: they don't get paid a salary and have no base privileges, but do get paid a hefty Per Diem when they are called in to support the full members. (The current roster of the Babylon City Silver Guardians includes an active contingent member.) Contingent membership is often offered to individuals who are not able to provide a full-time commitment, or to members whose current public perception, or past record, precludes them from being offered a full-time membership.

And... the Silver Guardians have a dedicated PR team to manage their image in the public eye.

I went a bit off topic here, adding in more detail than necessary, but I wanted to get these details out earlier so everyone could consider them as you build your concepts.

@SalmonMax, it is possible for Fulcrum to participate as a contingent member if you are committed to keeping her personality as it is. But it is more likely that they will pick someone with a more level-headed perspective.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 779
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
left-aligned image

left-aligned image

Hero Alias: Dr. D.A.N.

Hero Origin: Technology in the wrong hand now in the right ones

Battle Type: psychic gadgeteer/CQC

Biography:

Strengths: Gathering information, Inspiring others, and Helping people become better people.

Weaknesses:As with all great minds, he can find the flaws in others and help them overcome weaknesses that they place upon themselves, but he can not do the same for himself.

Last edited by chubbyninja29; 06-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.