Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 629
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Okay! A lot to unpack here.

In the truest tradition of internet discourse, imma address the concerns on a point by point basis, and we'll see where it goes from there.

The Silver Guardians is a public organization, and very conscious of public opinion. It is frequently before cameras, under observation, and giving press conferences and talking to public officials. Anyone in the organization will have a spot in the news front and center. She will not be able to hide at all, since news of Silver Guardian activity is often broadcast over national channels as current events.

Okay, this one is pretty easily dealt with. I didn't realize the Silver Guardians were that official...some assumptions were built into the story that were incorrect. Given what you've said, Ren would pretty much be dropping out of college to do this anyway, so at that point the jig is up.

The easiest/bestest way to deal with it is simply to eliminate the secret identity. Say it's something she used to have, but decided to risk giving it up to get this shot. Her father was almost certainly not pleased, but he knows opportunity when it bites him on the tookas. Superhero daughter doesn't look bad when it's campaign season after all.

It removes some of the tension and conflict and drama...but I'm sure we can find things to replace it with.

In addition, as an established team, a certain individual maturity and team 'esprit de corps' is desired/expected from its members.

Do you feel Fulcrum will able to meet those expectations with her current personality? If she remains this way, the psych eval will declare her unfit for team work, unable to take directions easily, and too volatile to be entrusted with life-or-death situations.

Alrighty, so...it's very probable that in listing her 'weaknesses' I created a somewhat exaggerated impression of exactly how 'bad' this was. Renata is not a rampaging lunatic who can't function in a team. She has some issues. I dramatized those issues in the description, but it wasn't my intention to RP her as some 'dark wolverknight' type deal.

Now, won't lie, she's not chirpy happy Captain Kal El either. There'll be times she's difficult, and she may well get in trouble sometimes. That's...a feature not a bug? Hopefully?

Tell me how she's changing during the "action and observation" stages of her application. =)

I like the character, and the power set is good, practical, solid. Her story is fine. But the concept may not fit into the Guardians as they exist now. Especially her "Fist of Vader", which welcomes, through name and effect, an association with a fictional Sith Lord of popular movies and sci-fi themes. Although that one is not that important, since it can (potentially) be used judiciously.

Hehehe yeah, the 'fist of Vader' was something I literally threw in as a joke at the last minute. She doesn't actually call it that. Which, admittedly, there's no way to easily tell from the application, so mea culpa.

What would you like to do?

I'd like to try this one. The other one, the inventor, would probably be a worse fit, honestly. Not as brooding or angsty, but kind of wild and...not overly concerned about collateral damage.

That said, if the game requires a very specific and narrow cross-section of personality types, it may very well be that I need to return to the drawing board entirely.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 05-31-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I've updated my application, so any feedback you have would be good. I am also willing to talk about other applicants and if/how my character might know them or have worked/encountered/fought them before. (heroes fight each other fairly often in comics so it could happen, right?)
Old 06-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1287
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Oo. I've always wanted to try a Mutants & Mastermind game that... actually manages to run / keep running, hee. I think I had one on here that literally lasted one or two posts from everyone before the GM had to close it... And the only other experience was real-time via an old desktop client where... the GM stopped showing up three or four sessions in. @.@ Not certain if my character would work in this set-up, however, since she cannot speak (massive wolf-type gal, twelve feet of muscle and tonnage!) though she does understand human speech easily and can communicate via simple pantomime and/or canid sounds. :O I think I still might have her background typed up somewhere in my files, if not a character sheet to go with it although I'll be the first to admit I suuuck at char creation in this (no experience!) - Would this kind of character possibly be acceptable, MrKinister?

Also, hi Runetide!
Old 06-01-2019, 03:27 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Hiya Verdant Glitter! So nice to see your effervescent self again!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 447
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Posting interest. Got an idea for an ex-military combat medic.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3649
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I might be interested, and I've been trying to get a chemistry powered character going. I've said too often that it'd be the coolest superpower not to try and prove that every chance I get. Thing is that I've got exactly that sort of character already lined up for another game. If the other doesn't work out I'll apply here. That's got nothing to do with the amount of hype or anything, just that I don't like to have two too similar applications running at the same time.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
If Renata is too edgy, even with my qualifications, I did have another idea that might work.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
I'd like to try this one. The other one, the inventor, would probably be a worse fit, honestly. Not as brooding or angsty, but kind of wild and...not overly concerned about collateral damage.

That said, if the game requires a very specific and narrow cross-section of personality types, it may very well be that I need to return to the drawing board entirely.
I think the character is great. I like her.

But the most important thing for the SG team is "image" because they are an open-face publicly visible organization. They manage their public relations devotedly. Personalities come and go, and learn and adapt over time. This is why Renata, with what looked like a history of volatility, looked like a dubious candidate for them.

As long as she can deal with the demands of the team, I am all good with her. What this really means is "how would you like to play her?"

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I've updated my application, so any feedback you have would be good. I am also willing to talk about other applicants and if/how my character might know them or have worked/encountered/fought them before. (heroes fight each other fairly often in comics so it could happen, right?)
I will give it another look/see.

I will ask the current players to see if they would like to participate in a web of established relationships that will integrate everyone better into the game.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdant Glitter View Post
... Not certain if my character would work in this set-up, however, since she cannot speak (massive wolf-type gal, twelve feet of muscle and tonnage!) though she does understand human speech easily and can communicate via simple pantomime and/or canid sounds. :O I think I still might have her background typed up somewhere in my files, if not a character sheet to go with it although I'll be the first to admit I suuuck at char creation in this (no experience!) - Would this kind of character possibly be acceptable, MrKinister?
I have to admit that without a clear means of communication, getting actions coordinated might be difficult.

If you can show me a bit of how she normally operates I might be able to understand her better.

Is she all wolfed-out all the time? (her natural state?), or only when she needs to be aggressive?

Old 06-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
Posting interest. Got an idea for an ex-military combat medic.
Acknowledged. =)

Old 06-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
I might be interested, and I've been trying to get a chemistry powered character going. I've said too often that it'd be the coolest superpower not to try and prove that every chance I get. Thing is that I've got exactly that sort of character already lined up for another game. If the other doesn't work out I'll apply here. That's got nothing to do with the amount of hype or anything, just that I don't like to have two too similar applications running at the same time.
Understood. Do as you need to.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Okay let me shoot this other idea I have at you and see if it would work better. Just very briefly, as opposed to a full scale submission. I believe I can adapt and modify Renata's story without compromising her to make her work, but she will always be someone that sort of pushes boundaries, which might make this not quite a perfect fit for her...though I think characters not being a perfect fit is actually good, because that lends itself to telling interesting stories.

But!

I'm getting into this alternative too, so I wouldn't mind using it if you think it would work better.

This character was the product of a research program gone wrong. A project with a brilliant lead researcher that was pioneering techniques to produce viable transgenic organisms...that is, organisms that possess genetic traits that originate in multiple species. The program was named Project Chimera, after the official term for these organisms. Early successes led to more funding and less oversight, and the lead researcher went off the rails a bit to produce a highly illegal 'human' chimera. The project was immediate terminated, and all the materials confiscated/destroyed/etc.

The existence of the human chimera was a problem though. Was it human? Was it a 'material'? The general consensus was that sweeping the whole thing under the rug and pretending it never happened was the best idea. The human chimera, still an infant, was reported destroyed...but it was not. Project Chimera employed over a hundred researchers and scientists, most of whom had nothing to do with the secret human chimera plans. One of them 'kidnapped' the baby and, with some under the table assistance, adopted it.

Naturally as the baby grew up, she was revealed to have some rather surprising abilities related to control over genetic expressions...essentially, a limited kind of shapeshifting where she can quickly grow or develop traits like strength, size, wings, etc etc. There are also a number of baseline improvements that are always active.

She's grown up to be a 'normal' young woman...a noted metahuman yes, but not even she knows her own backstory, let alone anyone else. As far as she concerned she was bitten by a radioactive shark or something.

Unfortunately, the old lead researcher of Project Chimera has managed to escape custody and is at large...and would very much like their experimental results back...
Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
If Renata is too edgy, even with my qualifications, I did have another idea that might work.
It is not the edginess that is the issue. It is the attitude. The team already has two relatively edgy characters in it who work just fine.

But if Fulcrum will throw buses around, and possibly put others in harm's way when she experiences emotions she cannot handle, the Silver Guardian's oversight committee (based on the way I've created the organization) will kick her out immediately, no question asked.

Does that make sense? =)

Even if she has trouble, her willingness to work on her issues would go a long way to demonstrating that she is capable of taking on responsible actions and decisions.

Yeah, it's that kind of organization. =)

Old 06-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
But if Fulcrum will throw buses around, and possibly put others in harm's way when she experiences emotions she cannot handle, the Silver Guardian's oversight committee (based on the way I've created the organization) will kick her out immediately, no question asked.

Right, so that's my fault. I was being humorous and perhaps a little flippant in how I phrased things in my application. I didn't mean to imply that she was literally ripping busses apart when she lost her temper. It was meant as an attempt at funny hyperbole.

In hindsight, I understand how that doesn't necessarily come across online, particularly when people don't know each other...and in a game genre where that can legitimately happen, and some folks will actually make characters who do that kind of thing.

Renata's temper is definitely a challenge for her, but she's not a berserker warrior who routinely loses all control and murders people.