Old 06-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
Okay let me shoot this other idea I have at you and see if it would work better. Just very briefly, as opposed to a full scale submission. I believe I can adapt and modify Renata's story without compromising her to make her work, but she will always be someone that sort of pushes boundaries, which might make this not quite a perfect fit for her...though I think characters not being a perfect fit is actually good, because that lends itself to telling interesting stories.
I agree. Sometimes the internal conflicts bring forth very interesting decisions. It is here that I have to admit that I am not very good with the "drama" aspect. Still need some practice with that in story telling, mostly because, as a person and human being, presently I don't really do drama. My "weakness". =)

Now, the Silver Guardian's don't demand that you tow the line like a soldier. As matter of fact, they aren't even para-military. But what they are most concerned about is reliability and trust. The two most evident reasons for that concern are:

1. Their own safety and the safety of others. Hard to have a team if one or more members are not watching each other's back. And casual disregard for the well-being of others is what villains do, not the Guardians. (But that doesn't mean that sometimes there are hard decisions that need to be made.)

2. The trust of the people. This is why "public image" is important. It will become much harder to do what they do if they are hounded by lawyers, politicians, and irate private organizations demanding they be shut down. Minimizing that is important to them.

Quote:
This character was the product of a research program gone wrong. A project with a brilliant lead researcher that was pioneering techniques to produce viable transgenic organisms...that is, organisms that possess genetic traits that originate in multiple species. The program was named Project Chimera, after the official term for these organisms. Early successes led to more funding and less oversight, and the lead researcher went off the rails a bit to produce a highly illegal 'human' chimera. The project was immediate terminated, and all the materials confiscated/destroyed/etc.

The existence of the human chimera was a problem though. Was it human? Was it a 'material'? The general consensus was that sweeping the whole thing under the rug and pretending it never happened was the best idea. The human chimera, still an infant, was reported destroyed...but it was not. Project Chimera employed over a hundred researchers and scientists, most of whom had nothing to do with the secret human chimera plans. One of them 'kidnapped' the baby and, with some under the table assistance, adopted it.

Naturally as the baby grew up, she was revealed to have some rather surprising abilities related to control over genetic expressions...essentially, a limited kind of shapeshifting where she can quickly grow or develop traits like strength, size, wings, etc etc. There are also a number of baseline improvements that are always active.

She's grown up to be a 'normal' young woman...a noted metahuman yes, but not even she knows her own backstory, let alone anyone else. As far as she concerned she was bitten by a radioactive shark or something.

Unfortunately, the old lead researcher of Project Chimera has managed to escape custody and is at large...and would very much like their experimental results back...
This alternative would quite possibly be an excellent character idea, if I am understanding it right. Up to you. Both character ideas are workable. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
But if Fulcrum will throw buses around, and possibly put others in harm's way when she experiences emotions she cannot handle, the Silver Guardian's oversight committee (based on the way I've created the organization) will kick her out immediately, no question asked.

Right, so that's my fault. I was being humorous and perhaps a little flippant in how I phrased things in my application. I didn't mean to imply that she was literally ripping busses apart when she lost her temper. It was meant as an attempt at funny hyperbole.

In hindsight, I understand how that doesn't necessarily come across online, particularly when people don't know each other...and in a game genre where that can legitimately happen, and some folks will actually make characters who do that kind of thing.

Renata's temper is definitely a challenge for her, but she's not a berserker warrior who routinely loses all control and murders people.
Ah, I see. My bad then. =)

I concur with the breadth of the "super hero" genre. I have seen some games that are dark, and the protagonists are "Punisher" types who kill with little regard. Those games and players have their space in their own niche. But this game is not intended to be a DARK game.

I am glad I misunderstood Renata's design. I have to admit that it looked like she was going to be not quite a 'dark' character, but more of a 'deep gray' character.

It is certainly a good working concept. =)

Old 06-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Now, having said that, the game is "modern", meaning that there will be subject matter that will be "heavy" and "unpleasant", but the heroism of the protagonists is what gives these matters humanity.

Last edited by MrKinister; 06-01-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 779
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
Wow.. so many questions... Umm... Oh magic GM will I ever make it past level 9? *shakes GM*
Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 679
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Okay, here's Chimera, for comparison's sake. Did I mention I love making supers characters?

Just the sheet so you can get a sense of where the character is going mechanically. Still developing the specifics of the backstory, but it's not very complicated.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 06-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Okay, here's Chimera, for comparison's sake. Did I mention I love making supers characters?
I literally made a second superhero character for this game whose power was "I found a genie and accidentally in my confusion wished to have the abilities of a video game character when I was literally just trying to wish for a free video game" but I chose Battalion because I was worried that this one would seem too goofy or abstract.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyninja29 View Post
Wow.. so many questions... Umm... Oh magic GM will I ever make it past level 9? *shakes GM*
That is entirely possible. I have already granted 2 Character Points for development, and will soon be granting one more. That's only 12 more points to the next Power Level (but, realistically, that will take a while).

*Grabs head shaking like a bobble-head, tightens the thread contact with a few extra rotations*

Old 06-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That is an enjoyment we share. =)

Quote:
Expertise (Dance) +5 (4sp)
Funny. =)

Quote:
Features, 1pp
- Bioluminescent (can cause body to glow up to flashlight intensity)
Huh... cool. Reminds of that glowy kid in Sky High.

Quote:
Regeneration +10, 10pp
Immortality (1 week rez) +3, 6pp
This will be interesting. When it comes to physical conflict, this will be an interesting challenge.

Quote:
Instincts - Not all genetic traits are physically expressed. Kia occasionally shows behavioral alterations as well...generally limited to when she assumes certain genetic expressions. To some extent this is a good thing; when she grows wings, she also 'grows' the reflexes needed to use them. Sometimes it can lead to socially awkward behaviors though, at least temporarily.[/spoilerbutton]
Oh, so if I present this character with an egg while they are in bird form, will they try to hatch it? =)

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I literally made a second superhero character for this game whose power was "I found a genie and accidentally in my confusion wished to have the abilities of a video game character when I was literally just trying to wish for a free video game" but I chose Battalion because I was worried that this one would seem too goofy or abstract.
I am definitely not adverse to a "goofy" character, but the stories may not be able to do them justice. =)

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM
I NEVER, EVER OVERREACT!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5151
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Welcome potential newbies. I play Aluren, kind of Cthulu- inspired in terms of powers. Not against a relation however she is sixteen and was rescued from a cult at six, has been a ward of our now-leader ever since. So if you have something to work into that and MrK is MmmKay with it, I'm game.

*Unless the mount is also a class feature.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 679
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
The Immortality is negotiable...I originally envisioned the character as being able to sort of 'regenerate' herself from even just a smudge of cells, but lethality in most Supers games is pretty low anyway so it's arguably kind of a point boondoggle.

As for the egg...well...we'll have to find out. That said, Kia doesn't change into birds, exactly. Rather, she would grow wings, potentially even feathers, but would otherwise look the same as before.

That said, it'd be interesting to add a dynamic Morph to her core array so she could alter her appearance at the cost of physical enhancements...
Old 06-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
I am definitely not adverse to a "goofy" character, but the stories may not be able to do them justice. =)
The character himself wouldn't be goofy it's just the origin of his ability is a little bit wacky and his powers are not as straightforward as Battalion was.

he had powers like a quest log and inventory panel and pretty much anything that you saw in the manga "the gamer".

Last edited by Runetide; 06-01-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
The Immortality is negotiable...I originally envisioned the character as being able to sort of 'regenerate' herself from even just a smudge of cells, but lethality in most Supers games is pretty low anyway so it's arguably kind of a point boondoggle.
Heh... this was not a criticism. The challenge would be for me to find a way to challenge *your* character in a conflict where most of the damage would melt off her very quickly. =)

It was something that would require me to dig a little deeper in the wells of creative storytelling than I may be used to.

That may be a very positive thing, really.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
The character himself wouldn't be goofy it's just the origin of his ability is a little bit wacky and his powers are not as straightforward as Battalion was.

he had powers like a quest log and inventory panel and pretty much anything that you saw in the manga "the gamer".
Sorry to say I haven't read "The Gamer".

The last animation story arc I finished was "Little Witch Academia", which had a delightful ending. I haven't enjoyed a good story like that in a long time. =)

Old 06-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
My first game on these boards was M&M 3E and it was my first M&M game. I loved it immediately. Unfortunately neither game I've played has lasted much time at all.
Since then I've been drafting characters in Google Docs, waiting for a moment like this.

Stealing Runetide's formatting. See below.
Application
right-aligned image
Character Name: Alec Winters

Hero Alias: The Insider

Power Origin: Technological

Roles: Infiltrator, Hunter

Biography: Alec may not quite be the best hacker in the world, but he's probably the most well-known. Nobody would recognize his face on the street, but any time some big cyber-breach or large-scale crash occurs, there's always at least someone pointing a finger at "The Insider". It's usually not him, but his reputation is nonetheless indelibly etched into urban legend.

He grew up in Scotland, showing a keen interest in technology as early as age 4. Though obviously intelligent, he often struggled in school as he was much too bored with standard curriculum. By 16 he dropped out and was spending all of his time tinkering with electronics and haunting online hacker boards. When he turned 18 he moved to Germany to hone his skills with the local dark-gray-hat community. From there he bounced around Europe and Asia, picking up various skills and hardware, slowly creating what would become the legend of "The Insider".

Eventually fatigued of living life in a moral grey area, constantly flying under the radar, he decided to put his skills to better use. A few years in US special forces turned into a short career in black ops before a sudden discharge, the details of which are classified to this day. With nowhere else to take his skills but a strong desire to avoid falling back into old habits he decided to apply to the Silver Guardians.

Strengths: Insider is highly mobile, able to turn invisible, see and move through walls, and even teleport short distances. He's also equipped with an array of weaponry and gear that's useful both in and out of combat. But perhaps more importantly, he's a skilled technologist capable of incredible inventions as well as neutralizing even the toughest electronic security measures.

Weaknesses: Alec is physically weak (for a hero) and relies heavily on his guns and equipment. Thankfully his implants mitigate this somewhat, but even those are susceptible to the right countermeasures. And as good as he is with technology, he's not as great with people. Furthermore, nobody knows that Alec is The Insider. Trying to protect his real identity is important to him as The Insider has a lot more enemies around the globe than does lowly Alec Winters. Additionally, some in the tech community look upon The Insider as an enemy due to his famous (and sometimes infamous) exploits, a select few of which are actually true.
Stat BlockThe Insider - PL 9
Strength 1, Stamina 4, Agility 8, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 0
Advantages
All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 7, Hide in Plain Sight, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (stealth), Skill Mastery (technology), Quick Draw
Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10), Athletics 1 (+2), Perception 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Guns 13 (+13), Stealth 2 (+10), Technology 10 (+15), Vehicles 2 (+2)
Powers
Tech Wiz: Quickness 2 (Limited to Technology)
Neural Interface
. . Computer: Technology Tools 1
. . Transponder: Communication 1 (Radio; Subtle 2)
Phasic Implants
. . Untouchable: Insubstantial 2 (Reaction: attacked)
. . Pass Through: Movement 1 (Permeate, Speed -2; Reaction: attacked)
. . Invisible: Concealment 4 (Visual, all; Passive)
Phasic.Recall.Originator: Teleport 3 (Accurate; Change Direction; Change Velocity; Easily Removable; Limited: device location; Activation 2: Standard; Flaw: must be deployed locally)
Combat Optics: Senses 6 (Visual, Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Tracking)
Gear
Cell Phone (with Computer and Video Camera)
Gas Mask
Infrared Flashlight
Mini Tracer
Camo Clothing (Urban)
Guns
. . Machine Pistol (Laser Sight)
. . Light Pistol (Laser Sight, Suppressor)
Grenades
. . Tear Gas Pellet
. . Concussion Bomb
Offense
Initiative +8
Machine Pistol, +15 (DC 18; Multiattack)
Light Pistol, +15 (DC 17; Subtle)
Concussion Bomb, Area Burst (DC 15 + DC 20/17)
Tear Gas Pellet, Area Cloud (DC 14 + DC 14/12 Fort; Dazed and Vision Impaired, Stunned and Vision Disabled, Incapacitated)
Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Toughness 8, Fortitude 8, Will 10
Complications
Identity: Nobody knows that Alec Winters is The Insider (or visa versa). If anyone found out, certain groups could start targeting Alec.
Reputation: Some people blame The Insider for various high-profile incidents, some of which make him an object of prejudice for those individuals or organizations.
Languages
English
Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 35 + Advantages 20 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 135

Last edited by AlphaZ; 06-02-2019 at 04:42 PM.