RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 368
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Your Time in the Sun

Your Time in the Sun

--- Applications Closed ---

Game SystemDnD 3.5e Forgotten Realms
ThemeHigh fantasy mystery/adventure
TeaserGnashtusk is a very unpleasant orc. Not in the warleader or hordemaster sense, but in that he's made a long and illustrious career out of brigandage and highwaymanship, and has been punished accordingly. More often than you'd expect, actually. In fact, Gnashtusk has been twice sentence to confinement (escaped, twice), twice killed on the field of battle by adventurers, and one sentenced to death judicially in Silverymoon.

Unfortunately, it seems, you can't keep a bad orc down. The widespread belief was that he had amassed a measure of wealth that far exceeded his actual skills, and had simply made ongoing arrangements for his freedom or resurrection. As to where such treasure might have originated, or where it might be stored, no one could say. But Gnashtusk's reliable recurrence, even after death, represented an increasing problem in the southern Silver Marches. Although he was not individually powerful, and many halfway competent bands of adventurers or even guards could likely dispatch him, his continued presence was wearing on trade... and, more importantly, on politics, as the powers in the area were increasingly accused of being unable to stop one orc.

And so, last year, after great consternation and despite significant protest, the ruling council of Silverymoon instituted a uniquely severe punishment on Gnashtusk when he was (again) dragged to the city in chains. He was once again judicially executed, but this time, one of the High Spellguard of Silverymoon cast trap the soul, binding the unrepentant orc into a thinaun disc, to serve as an eternal warning for those who might follow him.

Eternity lasted almost fourteen months, before Gnashtusk began holding up caravans again. Which seems a particularly impressive feat, considering that the Spellguard confirms that his soul is still safely bound into the disc in Silverymoon. General consensus is that this isn't really Gnashtusk but an impostor capitalizing on the orc bandit's legendry. As with most things, a suitably powerful spellcaster could probably resolve the problem in a few hours. But no one with the ability to immediately unravel the mystery wants to stick their toes into what risks being a complicated political situation. Also, there are rumors of some looming magical threat which has perhaps captured the attention of the more proficient spellcasters in the area; although, alternatively, such rumors aren't exactly rare...

Which brings us to the Calling Horns, an "inn" along the Evermoor Way, east of Yartar and south of the Evermoors, on the route north from Waterdeep to Everlund and Silverymoon. Calling Horns has expanded its services to include a wheelwright, a general store, an apothecary, an alchemist, and half a dozen other trades, in addition to being the only inn and tavern for a day's travel in either direction. Repeat travelers who keep a good reputation and who have the cash can even find a small selection of magical equipment for sale. Proprietor Tosker Nightsword is particular about who can settle there, and this far from other civilization, "Tosker's Boys" are the law. Fortunately, Tosker is a good and honest man. He's also sick to death of this stupid orc...

You have been hired by Tosker Nightsword, and given honorary positions as "Tosker's Boys", to hunt down the orc brigand Gnashtusk or his impersonator. And -- if this is Gnashtusk -- to figure out how he keeps returning from death and stop it if possible. You've been forwarded quite a bit of money and supplies (reflected in the starting wealth), and are promised an additional 2000 gold apiece for the death of the orc brigand if it's merely an copyorc?copycat, or an honestly ludicrous 10,000 gold each if this is the real Gnashtusk and you can stop him from respawning.
CharactersThat's where all of you come in.

Applications should include a legal 3.5 character with 16,500 XP (which is a bit into level 6 for most characters). Characters should be built with 32 point buy (remember, the 3.5 point buy is different from the Pathfinder point buy!). Max hit points at first level, Alternatively known as half+1 (d4: 3; d6: 4; d8: 5; d10: 6; d12: 7)average-round-up at all subsequent levels. You have 15,000 gp to go shopping with, but may not purchase any single item with a total cost of greater than 10,000. Broadly speaking, any official 3.5 material is legal. No Dungeon or Dragon magazine content. No third-party content of any kind. Unconverted 3.0 material is at my sole discretion, and must be approved ahead of time.

Your application must include some background or personality or RP sample or something to convince me that you're playing a role and not a character sheet golem. I'm not prescribing a specific form for this. Use your judgment and imagination. Conversely, your application must also a character sheet; I know it sucks really bad to stat out characters and then not get to play them, but I have to know you have the system mastery to actually build a 6th level character in 3.5! Finally, you must include your expected class progression to level 20. I can't promise we'll get that far, but I can promise we'll try. Or die along the way. No pressure.

Oh, and one more thing, which is sort of important: no characters in this campaign may have levels in any "primary" caster class. For the purposes of this restriction, no class that grants 9th level spells or powers is permitted. That means no: cleric, death master, dread necromancer, druid, erudite, favored soul, If there was ever an innocent victim of a blanket ban....healer, psion, sha'ir, sorcerer, wilder, or wizard (or any other similar class I've overlooked). Also no sublime chord, ur-priest, or any other prestige class with an explicit progression that includes 9th level spells. This isn't being done strictly as a balancing consideration; everyone knows that Forgotten Realms is where you bring out your crazy magics, and that's probably a deserved opinion. But this game isn't those characters' time in the sun. It's yours.

Note that classes with 6-level casting (bard, psychic warrior, etc.) are fine and so are classes with 4-level casting (paladin, ranger, etc.). Tentatively, the Tome of Battle initiator classes are still legal; they have 9th level abilities, but they aren't really the same sort of utility toolboxes as their caster compatriots. Still, if you have to go with a Nine Swords character, make sure you do something to make it interesting or expect to lose points (see below).

Make sure you read through the spoilerbuttoned house rules before submitting an application.

RunningWhat should you expect from this game?

I have a pretty well-prepared campaign here that was intended to be run for my tabletop playgroup after we finished a previous campaign. That never happened. So, now, I get to inflict it on you all. I'd like people to be fairly active, because it's obvious even to me that the pace of play here can be pretty slow. Aim for participation every couple of days. I don't expect anyone to camp this thread 24/7. I'm too old for that nonsense myself. Likewise, weekends probably won't be hotbeds of activity because my family will wonder what has happened to me.

I do intend one thing as sort of an experiment. Typically, 3.5 is all about finicky movement and positioning and exacting obedience to the Grid. But... I'm a little intimidated by what's needed to build and implement tactical combat maps for forum play, so -- at least to start -- we're going to sort of freeform / Theatre of the Mind things. Attacks of opportunity and flanking and the like will happen when they seem appropriate, but we'll try to make things more about the story than about character repositioning that reads like chess moves. Hopefully. We'll see if that lasts.

As far as setting goes, this is 3.5-era Forgotten Realms. We'll set the starting date in the spring of 1372 DR. I... can't promise slavish attention to the full list of canon plotline events. But at a minimum, I've set this date to exclude the Rage of Dragons, the Spellplague... and frankly the entire 4E and 5E Realms plotlines entirely.
SelectionHow will I choose the party?

Applications close at 11:59 PM CDT on Sunday, June 23. Any applications received after that point will be summarily ignored. Sorry, folks. Then, on or about June 26, I will select (ideally) 4-6 players to form the party. I will do this largely by evaluating applications through a scoring system, as follows. I'm giving myself quite a bit of time to do this. If I get through it all earlier, I'll pick the party earlier. It will likely depend on how many applications I get.
  • If you did not follow instructions in some fundamental way (you have levels in a banned class, as just one example), your score is zero regardless of other modifiers.
  • 1-5 points will be awarded for the system correctness of your character sheet. This doesn't include any judgment as to whether I think your build is a good idea or whether the character is a good fit. I realize that 3.5 is a complicated, techy system. These points are all about whether you handled the process of generating the character correctly. I will also consider docking points here for things that are technically legal but not really in the spirit of the rules (such as various Magical Training / Precocious Apprentice / Southern Magician loopholes to gain early entry to prestige classes). If you think you've got something clever, and you want to know whether that would fall afoul of this clause, you should maybe ask me ahead of time.
  • 1-5 points will be awarded based on how mechanically useful I think the character will be to the party and my plotline. I am looking for characters who will be mechanically successful, powerful, and fun to play with despite the class limitations... but who are not optimized to the point where they are likely to monopolize the spotlight. Aiming too high or too low will both result in a lower score here.
  • 1-5 points will be awarded based on how conceptually interesting I think the character is. This includes aspects of both your character's personality and background as well as the build plan. You don't have to wow me with the length of your application, just with its content, its panache. Take risks. Try something new. This is also where I'll penalize characters that just don't fit into the Forgotten Realms. Sure, other campaign setting books are technically legal, but if you pitch me a Warforged Artificer, you're losing points here.
  • 1-5 points will be awarded entirely at my discretion for how much I just personally like the character and the application.

Last edited by Antipode; 06-24-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: time zone
Old 06-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Applicants

FAQ

ClassesQ: Do you really mean no levels in those caster classes? What if I just want...
A: I really mean it. No exceptions. A character with even one level in cleric, sorcerer, or the like will be scored zero points and will not be selected for play.

Q: Some base classes have alignment restrictions. Do characters need to respect those?
A: Yes, and I'll likely consider it a mechanics flaw to have convenient alignment shifts in the backstory that allow combinations not otherwise permitted.

Q: So how about this base class, which can sometimes produce a high-level spell effect or other weirdness?
A: Let's see if I can make a more comprehensive list this time. Please let me know if I missed something.
  • Disallowed: Archivist, ardent, aristocrat, cleric, commoner, death master, dread necromancer, druid, erudite, favored soul, healer, mystic, psion, sha'ir, shaman, shugenja, sorcerer, spirit shaman, warmage, warrior, wilder, wizard, wu jen; Unearthed Arcana generic classes; apostle of peace, divine crusader, sublime chord, ur-priest; Unearthed Arcana "prestige" variants of normal classes, Unearthed Arcana "scion" classes
  • Strongly discouraged: NPC classes aren't good ideas, but I can think of at least a couple reasons why someone might want access to this.Adept, For setting flavor as much as for the fact that it's crazy overpowered, although that's often also true.artificer, Again, NPC classes are bad. Don't be bad. But I can think of at least one build that might legitimately want to use this.magewright
  • These are capable of 9th level effects but aren't traditional spellcasters. They're available, but if it looks like you've chosen these classes for access to those individually powerful effects rather than concept, it'll hurt your selection chances.Use with caution: Crusader, shadowcaster, swordsage, warblade
  • This does not imply that they are all good ideas.Permitted: Barbarian, bard, battle dancer, beguiler, binder, divine mind, dragon shaman, dragonfire adept, duskblade, factotum, fighter, hexblade, incarnate, jester, knight, lurk, marshal, monk, mountebank, ninja, noble, paladin, psychic rogue, psychic warrior, ranger, rogue, samurai (CW), samurai (OA), savant, scout, sohei, soulborn, soulknife, spellthief, swashbuckler, totemist, truenamer, warlock
RacesQ: Can I play a level-adjusted race? What if it's like, really level adjusted, like a ghost template, or a pixie, or a half-minotaur feral mineral warrior anthropomorphic bat?
A: There are no restrictions on applications based on race. However. Some things, like dragonborn and warforged, are probably not good ideas to pitch because they conflict with the 3.5-era Forgotten Realms setting. That aside, the weirder a thing you pitch to me, the greater the burden is on you to demonstrate in your application why a LN retired adventurer would hire it in the first place, and how it can function in civilized society... but also to demonstrate why that makes the character interesting as a character. Not everything in this game is going to be about the combat, after all.

But do keep the combat in mind, too. I want characters to be proficient. I want the party to be able to bat at or a bit above its ECL. However, also remember that one of the ways I'll be scoring mechanics is whether characters are enough over the curve that they would tend to steal the spotlight from their party members. Traditionally high-powered racial options, perhaps like anthropomorphic bats, pixies, or mineral warriors are perhaps more likely to seem that way to me. If I think there's a fun character, and fun mechanics, and I think the rest of the party would enjoy playing beside you though, then, yes, you've got a chance like anything else.

Also, be aware that I'm not going to fill the entire party with monsters and mutants. So if you plunge into the LA creatures catalogue, you're going to be competing for a subset of the slots.

Finally, the half-minotaur feral mineral warrior anthropomorphic bat would receive an application score of zero because the half-minotaur template is from Dragon 313 and is thus not an approved source.

Crafting

Last edited by Antipode; 06-20-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: list update
Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Crazy Cat Lady

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 580
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Are level-adjusted races allowed?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmousie View Post
Are level-adjusted races allowed?
There are no prima facie restrictions on race. Unearthed Arcana rules for LA buyoff are in effect.

That said, without tipping my hat overmuch, some race choices are likely to earn a vague scowl regarding the concept and personal taste scoring categories. I'm particularly... suspicious, shall we say? of the sort of templates that I ought be suspicious of.

EDIT: I'm also fairly unlikely to select an entire group of freaks and monsters, which may be something to consider if they prove popular among applicants.

Last edited by Antipode; 06-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Oh sweet Mary and Joseph a 3.5 game! Oh my sweet Warlock, how I’ve missed you.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Wandering Sage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2166
Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid
Name: Rheuben Ribnik
Race: Gnome
Class: Bard!!!! ish.... (Bard 4, Dragon Shaman 2)
Progression: into something? (Bard x, Dragon Shaman x, maybe a prestige class?)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Backstory Ummm....

Traits

Last edited by Nomadic druid; 06-19-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 549
Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187 Reaper22187
Dang so much for playing Oberron the Nightmare King the build needs 6 levels sorcerer and an amalgam of PrC. Nothing like truly scaring the baddies with there deepest darkest fears to death especially when your height is measured in inches. Maybe a Goliath Pugilist/wrestler would be fun preferably using the Chaos Monk alternative.

Last edited by Reaper22187; 06-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper22187 View Post
Chaos Monk
As far as I know, this one is only from Dragon #335, so wouldn't be available (although there are quite a few other ways to build conceptually similar things).
Old 06-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8328
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Class questions, would an incredibly optimized truenamer be at 1 or 2 in your mechanical contribution ranking? Second question are late in life 3.5 classes okay or recommend shying away from? (Shadowcaster, truenamer, dragon shaman, etc etc.)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
Class questions, would an incredibly optimized truenamer be at 1 or 2 in your mechanical contribution ranking? Second question are late in life 3.5 classes okay or recommend shying away from? (Shadowcaster, truenamer, dragon shaman, etc etc.)
Broadly speaking, I have no problem with the late-in-life 3.5 classes. I would rather have a shadowcaster, a dragon shaman, or even a Tome of Battle class than early-in-life choices like hexblades or samurai because I would like a campaign where the characters can actually do things.

As for truenamer... Ironically, I've actually played a moderate optimization truenamer in a tabletop game, so I do at least know what's going on with the class (well... as well as anyone can, I suppose). I think the fundamental question there is going to come down to what I'm allowing in terms of custom magical items, because that's really what sets that class's optimization (and usability) slider.

Give me a couple days to establish up-front an internally consistent policy for what I'm willing to allow, which will probably inform whether or not you still want to touch the class with a pole.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
I have too and they are just... bad but fun? At level six they are still in their peak of being able to sort of function. Only hardcode need is an item familiar but I'll save you some work, no real desire to play one right now, too few 3.5 games to throw that limiter on myself. Although the others are a possibility. Also OA Samurai? You dont want someone to be only mildly more useful than an warrior npc class?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundayKnight View Post
I have too and they are just... bad but fun? At level six they are still in their peak of being able to sort of function. Only hardcode need is an item familiar but I'll save you some work, no real desire to play one right now, too few 3.5 games to throw that limiter on myself. Although the others are a possibility. Also OA Samurai? You dont want someone to be only mildly more useful than an warrior npc class?
I think my favorite levels were 8 (fog from the void) and 10 (spell rebirth), although obviously leveling up always came with a sense of trepidation due to the wonky core mechanics. In any case, I look forward to whatever you're interesting in pitching.

...which will, indeed, hopefully be more useful than an NPC warrior (or a Samurai, or the other Samurai, or a Hexblade, or a Soulborn...).
Old 06-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
The second samurai was at least slightly improved, still a hot dumpsterfire that even core monk outshone but slightly better. Could take the "class roulette" approach and then do it at each level. Wouldn't be hard to make a chart with all non 9th caster base classes in it.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper22187 View Post
using the Chaos Monk alternative.
Dude +1 for that blast from the past, I didnít think anyone else knew of that one. Totally is Dragon Mag though, such a bummer.
Pretty sure that was the issue with the best prestige class ever the Charlatan
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Older than it Looks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 137
Babydoll Miley Babydoll Miley
Like,.. I know I'm going to apply for this game like all the other 3.5e meta-heads,... so I might as well do it.

Can we use DnD website alternate class features and PrCs? (Like psionic rogue as an example)

Also, I think EVERYONE should apply with a gnome,.. because reasons!

Application!
Name: Bozinee Glinny Glankle-Zon "Zo-zo" Kleptrick
Race: Whisper Gnome (SHHHH!!!)
Classes: Psychic Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 3
Concept: Giant Slayer (A giant is anything larger that Zo-zo!)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Final Progression: Psychic Rogue 7/ Swashbuckler 3/ Blade Bravo 10

Character Sheet: COMING SOON!

Background: Bozinee Kelptrick was born in Sundrah, the True Capitol of Lantan in 1320 DR. Like all whisper gnomes in Faerun, she was raised among the more common type of gnomes, trying to blend in a not make themselves out to be anything different than other 'regular' gnomes. Things in Lantan were always pretty spectacular, an ideal gnome lifestyle of invention and pick pocketing trinkets.

Wait,... pickpocketing trinkets? That's illegal! And exactly how Glinny Glankle-Zon got in big, big trouble with the Priests of Gond. "Create, don't steal!", Bythos, the rare human priest of Gond, would scold her. 'Whatever!' she'd roll her eyes at the smelly giant and go back to her devices. By the time she was 42, it all caught up with her and she was left with a choice: go to prison or accept duty on a Lantanese navy ship. Obviously these authoritarian Lantanese 'giants' were much too strict on a poor innocent gnomes,.. so she did the right thing and joined the crew of a tall ship.

Bozinee Glanke-Zon really enjoying being a pirate sailor with the Lantanese Navy. She got to see so much of the Sword Coast and ended up in the wonderful city of Waterdeep! It really was the most amazing place, despite all the giants everywhere she looked! She even met a totally-secret group of whisper gnome thieves merchants! There were so many more places to hide from the law sell goods and there was always an adventure to go on!

"It's suppose to be a secret!" she told Thaeen, the cut purse that had helped show her around Waterdeep. "Well,.. I mean,.. it's not that big of a deal!" the halfling shrugged, unfolding a paper that showed a bounty for one Bozinee Kleptrick, a known scalywag. "It IS a big deal!" she held her hand to her face, shaking her head back and forth at the realization that perhaps everything wasn't on the up-and-up as Thaeen had promised. "Now I have to disappear again!" she scowled, grabbing the bounty and crumpling it up. "At least you're good at it, Zo-zo..." Thaeen tried to comfort as she left the alley. She did not turn to look at her friend again and borrowed a ride on the first wagon out of town.

She spend many nights drinking at the Calling Horns, wondering what happened to Thaeen. It gave her something to do between her shifts as a caravan guard along the Evermoor Way. How Tosker Nightsword ended up hiring her into the "Tosker's Boys" is a long story involving thirteen apples, a periscope and the Leuv Moniterre, a elven painting that supposedly worth something to someone, somewhere. I mean,.. it's hardly her fault, really...

"You can work off your debt!" the giant human Tosker Nightsword glared at her. She sighed, once again stuck working to pay off some sort of 'debt', whatever that is! "Fine,.. sure..." Zo-zo agreed reluctantly, pushing a strand of blonde hair out of her face. "Does it at least pay? I need to buy more hair dye,..."

Last edited by Babydoll Miley; 06-20-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Gnomes!