RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Application Complete!

Character App
right-aligned image

Character Theme - Blood Brothers

Name: Talia Silvercrush
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Soulborn
Class Build: Soulborn 20 [Yep! No MC'ing to be seen here]
Personality: Talia has enturned abuse and ridicule all of her life. Growing up in a merchant city meant there was a fairly diverse group of peoples there, coming and going, but she always stood out. Looking far more Orcish than other Half-Orcs, even compared to her Dad. She's a hard-nosed, take-no-sh*t-from-anyone Amazon of a woman. She's quick to fire back with insults of her own, always ready for a fight worth getting involved in, and will take any excuse to celebrate. Her thorny exterior can be difficult to deal with for most, making it a challenge for her to form lasting friendships beyond work relations like she has with her fellow Pathfinders. And only her folks have really seen the studious, inquisitive, very capable woman underneath the constructed walls and uncertainty of her own powers. She's blunt, bold, the picture of grace under fire, and there's few others you'd be happy to have when things go south.
Background:

Last edited by Tyeal; 06-25-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Can I assume that we are going to be on our own through the use of magic items, since there are not going to be any healers?
Well, there won't be any clerics, certainly. However, the bard, dragon shaman, paladin, ranger, and savant all have reasonably viable access to healing. Several other classes can acquire the ability to heal through creative build plans.

Or the party can dedicate resources to doing it via items. It is certainly a choice that the characters will have to consider once the party is assembled.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2482
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
I'm debating going with a healer build (and yes, I do have a few potential ones in mind) or my initial idea of a monk.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster
There are still dozens of us!

I'll be honest - this is tentative interest at best because I will probably be too busy to post when the game officially starts. But if I draw up a character, I'll commit 100%.

It's just so nostalgic to go through this post. You know its a bunch of 3.5e veterans when people start asking about alternate class features and PrCs on the first page. 5e players can make a character in under 5 minutes? We RELISH in making characters that takes days.

Jokes aside, this game ad gave me a real trip down memory lane. Thanks for that - and even if I don't apply, I want to wish this game the best of luck!

EDIT:

What are the chances of using Font of Inspiration with the Factotum? Not for any crazy shenanigans, just so I can use more points to add my Int bonus to stuff?

Last edited by JKTrickster; 06-08-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
What are the chances of using Font of Inspiration with the Factotum? Not for any crazy shenanigans, just so I can use more points to add my Int bonus to stuff?
Probably pretty good. There are some things Factotum can do that may warrant rules clarifications, but in general I'm quite fond of it.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8341
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Alrighty before any goes and gets any smart ideas I got the core idea of my character: a gnome ghost dragon shaman/marshal auramancer with possibly a splash of something else yummy. Normally would throw in some meldshaping but.. ghost.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Before I go further with my ideas, how comfortable are you with VoP (& other exalted feats)?
Old 06-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal08Darkmoon View Post
Before I go further with my ideas, how comfortable are you with VoP (& other exalted feats)?
I suppose there are two aspects to address: the exalted feat conduct restrictions, and the feats themselves.

I'm not an absolute hardliner about the conduct restrictions, but I don't just ignore them either. Depending on what you have for allies and opportunities, they can sometimes be challenging to uphold. That's separate from the Vow restrictions, some of which can make a character honestly rather obnoxious to adventure with. Don't do that.

So, the feats themselves... I mean, they're feats. Vow of Poverty is in this weird place where it's frequently a trap but sometimes really overpowered. So... a hard maybe, I guess? I tend to think it's... unwise, overall, but I'd have different character creation rules if I expected only wise build choices.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:58 AM
Accidental Parent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 719
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
This is probably me being pedantic, but I assume that the 2 extra skill points for non-adventuring skills are multiplied at first level (2x4)?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:02 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
So, I feel a bit like a bad person for bringing it up, but is the sneak attack bonus going to be limited to one strike per round? For example, if a character with rogue levels performs a full attack while flanking, will each strike get the bonus or only the first one? I know RAW has it applying to each, but I wanted to check the house's opinion before marrying a character concept.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 AM
Accidental Parent

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 719
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Application
Name: Desiree
Race / Class: Pixie Rogue 1 / Ranger 1
Competence: Ranged damage / Wildcard.
Link: Character Sheet
CL20 Progression: Rogue 3 / Ranger 3 (order TBD) / Order of the Bow Initiate 10
Traits:
* Chip on her Shoulder: Pixies are used to not being taken seriously, and for most of them it isn't a problem; they have an independent streak a mile wide, and it's a short walk from being dismissed to being underestimated. But Desiree is smart enough to recognize that her personal vendetta will require more than a personal effort. To that end, she's seeking to be part of a team... and that necessitates a degree of recognition that her kind are not often afforded. Despite her natural advantages, she feels she has something to prove.
* Musician: Desiree grew up with music, and had her home forest not been destroyed, she would probably have trained as a bard. The interplay of wood, strings, and tension translated easily to archery - but at the end of the day, music is still her passion.
RP Sample:
Desiree finished her set to fairly loud applause. The song had been a good one - in fact one of the best she had ever composed - but some of the applause might have been for her gimmick of vanishing and flying around the room during the verses, only to alight back on the makeshift stage for the chorus. She was not, after all, the greatest musician in the land - but she was competent, and knew how to sell it.

Taking a bow, she slung her lute over her back, rose above the heads of the crowd, and flew - visibly - over to the bar.

Tosker himself had listened to the performance, though he was busy talking to a heavy-looking warrior - probably about a job. Desiree stood on a stool a polite distance away and caught the bartender's eye. "Wine, if you would," she said. "And I'd like a word with the man when he's free."

"A word? It was a fine show, lass, but we're not really looking for another resident performer."

"You're right that I'm looking for work... but not that work. I want to help hunt Gnashtusk."

It seemed Tosker had wrapped up his conversation with the warrior, because he turned to face her. "You're... a pixie."

"That's what my mother always said."

"A bard, then?"

"Actually no. I'm a scout by trade. Been teaching myself to hunt orcs."

Tosker seemed taken aback. "I don't believe I've ever met a pixie ranger."

"Until recently, neither had I. But we've all had to improvise since Gnashtusk destroyed our forest." She stared at her glass of wine, and sat in silence for some time.

"So, you're out for revenge, and thought you might let me pay you for it." Tosker smiled wryly.

"That's one way to look at it."

"Do you have another?"

Desiree smiled, and vanished. "I'm going to find him," she said, and reappeared hovering opposite Tosker. "He won't see me coming," she said, as she drew her bow from its quiver. She disappeared again. "No one sees me coming. No one knows I'm there, unless I tell them. And I'm going to kill him, with an arrow from this bow."

She reappeared again, on her former seat, and finished her wine in one gulp. Her bow was gone again. "I can get into places no one else can get into, because I'm smaller, and I'm quieter, and I can fly. Walls don't stop me. Traps don't bother me. Locks don't slow me down. And I can shoot the wings off a hornet at twenty paces. Yours, I mean, not mine."

Tosker nodded. He had, after all, been listening to pitches like this all day. "You mentioned locks?"

"I, ah, wasn't always a scout."

Tosker smiled again. Rogues had their uses, even if he usually found their company distasteful. And this one was a good deal more charming than most. "Let me be clear," he said. "If you take this job, you're to work with the team, not hare off on your own seeking revenge. You'll have to show up tomorrow and prove yourself against the other archers that have applied. And one more thing," he said, looking straight into her feline eyes. "If you steal from me, you won't live to regret it. I know the weaknesses of Fae."

He looked away, then.

"But I also know that yours isn't the only home Gnashtusk has destroyed, and I know pixies aren't known for being malicious. Show up tomorrow, prove you can use that bow, and I'll consider it."

A day later, Desiree was sharing a drink with another archer. She hadn't been the absolute best - his last three shots had narrowly beaten hers - but she had certainly shown that she knew her way around her weapon.

"Might I see your instrument?" he asked. Somehow she knew that he meant the bow, not the lute. After a moment's hesitation, she nodded and drew it forth. "Darkwood. I thought as much. This is remarkably well made. Where did you buy it?"

"I didn't. I made it."

The archer seemed impressed. "There's nothing that can quite take the place of a bow you make with your own hand," he said. "It's not up to me, but Tosker listens to me... I'll put in a good word for you."

"A good word... for the job? But..."

"I'm not here for the job. I just came for the competition. It's the chance to see if there's anyone around who understands the art... and I think you might. You show promise, and I hope you'll stick around... because I'd like to teach you."

"Teach me..."

"To become one with the bow. To make it part of you. To aim with your eye... to shoot with your mind... to kill with your heart. You need some seasoning... but you've got a gift, and in time I think I'll want to sponsor you."

"I'd ... I'd like that."

The archer handed her bow back, and stood with a nod. He left without another word. If he spoke to Tosker... she never saw it.

Last edited by auntmousie; 06-23-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Didn't realize my path-to-L20 never made the post.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmousie View Post
This is probably me being pedantic, but I assume that the 2 extra skill points for non-adventuring skills are multiplied at first level (2x4)?
Yes, they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron3991 View Post
So, I feel a bit like a bad person for bringing it up, but is the sneak attack bonus going to be limited to one strike per round? For example, if a character with rogue levels performs a full attack while flanking, will each strike get the bonus or only the first one? I know RAW has it applying to each, but I wanted to check the house's opinion before marrying a character concept.
Sneak attack is not limited to once per round.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Anonymous Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3025
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
3.5e Forgotten Realms? Yes, please!

Is it allowed to make two applications? That would relieve me of having to decide between my ideas...

One is a Bard/Paladin of Milil, the other is a Bard/Heartwarder of Sune. Gotta make something of the FR's wonderful pantheons!

Last edited by Mairien; 06-09-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I've started work on a paladin of Mielikki.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairien View Post
3.5e Forgotten Realms? Yes, please!

Is it allowed to make two applications? That would relieve me of having to decide between my ideas...

One is a Bard/Paladin of Milil, the other is a Bard/Heartwarder of Sune. Gotta make something of the FR's wonderful pantheons!
I'd prefer just one application per player. I know, it's cruel...