User Statistics
RPXP: 361
spudball spudball spudball spudball
Escape the Nightmare

Game NameEscape the Nightmare
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeSurvival Horror in an Open World Setting
FlavourAdventuring, Combat and Minimal Roleplay
Plot SummaryYou were sent to a mysterious land of darkness and now can't get out. Surviving and using what you have available at hand you try to avoid the evil essence that exists in the land itself. Doing this you navigate through abandoned lands of various climates where perhaps you may find other wandering souls caught in this nightmare like you.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:39 PM
wyrm of smurfs

Tools
User Statistics
Campaign Setting and Notes

The game itself is a more survival type setting where free roaming will be most prevalent. There will maps used indicating populated or less populated areas as well sights to see.

This is not a direct clone or resident evil i plan a mix of a more darker game within the rules of the game system using various elements from other sources while making my own material

How does noise check mechanic work with combat
Combat will not incur a noise check as any fighting could draw attention as it is. I might be using NPC s so if any of them are in the area they might here and possibly helping the players. Not sure on that yet
( Classes in the Setting )

All classes can be used but see list below for specific-any class not listed can be used but check with me if an uncommon one-i do not have all pathfinder books

Bards will be more at a disadvantage with there singing as it could trigger a game mechanic check which i will explain below

Mage related- necromancer are not encouraged to be played as they could aid the enemies in the game. I not a hard liner so i will still allow it as it may make the game interesting

Clerics/Druids- No gods exist but =there will be religious areas to rest and such

Dragonborn/half race type characters- will be allowed

(Spells and Magic Items)

Due to the nature of the game summoning and some other spells wont function properly(example summon monster will only work summoning campaign related creatures

If the game fires i will provide a list of what spells can't be used

(Treasure)

In this campaign treasure will be referred to as supplies, caches and storage type area. Again some items may not fit in the campaign and i will also provide a list of what wont be used

(New Game Mechanics)

Fright Check

Basically this check will be an average of your three major saves added and divided by three without bonuses

Fright checks occur from disturbing discoveries, scary monsters and other creepy events.(i will be using a chart with roll numbers and type of effect)

Noise check

Basically because this game involves constantly moving or surviving any noise that could draw a wandering monster will be used

Basically a d6 side roll

(Spells and Magic Items)
Note-necromancy spells have a 50% chance of improving enemies
Due to specific of the campaign the following spells will not function properly

(alchemist)
are allowed

(antipaladin)
Summon Dwarven Armor-Armor greater than chain not found in the world

(bard)
none

(Clerical/Oracle)

Animate tools-will not function
Ceremonial Servant-effect has 50% of being opposite and shape corrupted

(Summoner)

Summon Horror Spells all levelswill have a negative effect and be corrupted upon appearance and attack any being in ten feet radius

(Sorcerer/Wizard)

Ward Type spells-will not function outside of buildings or dwellings
Summon minion spells all levels-will summon creatures native to world and has a chance of summoning an enemy or the summoned monster 25% chance of turning and attacking upon appearing
Teleportation or Shifting Spells will not function

(Might have missed some so i'll add later-note Magic Items with similiar effects of the above will also not function

Deck of many things if exists in Pathfinder will not be used

Game Specifics

4 to 6 players
Posts 2 or 3 a week
(Character Build)

Starting lvl will be 2
Point buy at 36
all sources allowed ( if someone is brave enough to convert a d&d class to pathfinder i'll even allow that)
starting gold is normal
race restrictions ( no outsider type races or drow-dark elf is allowed
(Note- you will have no weapons except the armor you will be wearing at the start of games. However the weapons you do buy you will automatically gain normal stats
armor restriction (leather, hide and chain)

Character Application

Character Development will be slightly different (if Game Fires)

Name
Class
Race
Appearance
One distinguished Trait
One fear (important for during game play)
Background ( Not too detailed )
Why you decided to be conned into being trapped in the first place

Applications will be accepted til after 2nd week of july, starting in first week of august

If any questions are asked i will post them below with my answers

Does Stealth movement incur any noise check

Not unless you knock something down that makes noise in the process so no penalty happens with free stealth movement

How many levels does the adventure span? How fast do you plan on having the players progress through levels.

I don’t plan on having characters not having chances to leave the world they will eventually be able to leave
Xp progress will be normal as fighting will occur a lot

Can you be more specific, or at least give a general idea of "what spells can't be used"?
see below in the Spells and Magic Items section
If 3.5 conversions are allowed for classes, are feats that don't have a PF equivalent also allowed?
3.5 conversions are allowed and yes to feats without PF equivalent

You said no Gods, so that also indicates Paladins and Anti-Paladins, correct. And, as a druid you are more bound to nature, I thought, than a God. Can you expand on these?
Anti paladins would function normal as anything negative has a chance to help certain creatures. Regular paladins in terms of abilities will still function

Druids are bound to nature within the trapped realm bear in mind it’s a survival type world

Are there any additional character creation rules we should know?
For example: Feat Tax rules, Backgrounds skills, VMC availability?

Keep your build plain and simple however if you want to play say like a hireling, guard type ccharacter or something similiar civilian like. Then you would Backgroubnd skills.

Will we have much downtime for crafting?

Pending location and what has transpired yes

You mentioned dragonborne, but do you have any limits on other races? Goblins, tengu , drow, gargoyles?

Drow do not exist in the campaign they are referred as dark elves but have no penalty due to sunlight but get the normal drow bonuses
Ravenloft type class gain a possible bonus pending class
Dragonborne is okay

How do fright checks interact with bonuses against fear and outright fear immunity.

Only those without fear immunity will have a negative bonus. Note however it depends on the nature of the fright that a character would be rolling against. However fear immunity does not apply to one fear the character has and when that happens a negative bonus will apply( Note-There wont be Fright checks scattered only in certain locations and remember during daylight characters get a positive bonus versus fright checks)

How does spellcasting work with the noise check mechanic

Using verbal components wont incur the noise check while in combat However noise related spells does incur the noise check.

Gunslingers and Cackle Witch

If they are classes Gunslingers wont be allowed, i want stay true to the magic and metal element, Cackle Witch i would have to read on before game play

Last edited by spudball; 06-13-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1909
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
What is the starting level?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 368
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
What is the starting level?
Also the point buy (assuming characters are point buy)? And what sources are acceptable for use?

Finally, how does "Noise" interact with the Stealth skill?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1227
RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild RacesWild
You said no Gods, so that also indicates Paladins and Anti-Paladins, correct. And, as a druid you are more bound to nature, I thought, than a God. Can you expand on these?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1909
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Draven Xander
Class: Rogue
Race: Dhampir
Appearance: He stand at 6' even, medium build, brown eyes, long dark hair with goatee. Dressed in all black.
right-aligned image

One distinguished Trait: Spirit Sense
One fear (important for during game play): That he would be exposed to the sun and nowhere to hide and everyone will see what he is.
Background ( Not too detailed ): Orphan since he was a babe, Thieves Guild took him in and trained him.
Why you decided to be conned into being trapped in the first place: He had enemies, they gotten rid of his friend, but not him, until now. They had trumped up charges against him, plus they would reveal what he is. Face the consequences or face the unknown. He knew he would lose and being comfortable in the darkness, he decided to try his luck with the unknown.

Last edited by Seekr34; 06-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 AM
Celestial Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 931
Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel
Are fright checks fear effects in game-mechanics terms?

How many levels does the adventure span? How fast do you plan on having the players progress through levels.

Can you be more specific, or at least give a general idea of "what spells can't be used"?

If 3.5 conversions are allowed for classes, are feats that don't have a PF equivalent also allowed?

Also, WBL starting gold?
NOTICE: All events and opinions expressed in-character on this site are fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise simply made-up. They are intended for entertainment purposes only and any perceived relations to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and purely coincidental.

Last edited by Angel; 06-10-2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM
wyrm of smurfs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Are fright checks fear effects in game-mechanics terms?

Also, WBL starting gold?
Fright checks is a game mechanic

I donít plan on having characters not having chances to leave the world they will eventually be able to leave

Xp progress will be normal as fighting will occur a lot

3.5 conversions are allowed

Gold is normal starting amount Iíll verify when and if game fires

Iíll post the spell related question in the main post
Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM
wyrm of smurfs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacesWild View Post
Anti paladins would function normal as anything negative has a chance to help certain creatures. Regular paladins in terms of abilities will still function

Druids are bound to nature within the trapped realm bear in mind itís a survival type world
Old 06-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Stingy Black Mage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 482
loganic loganic loganic loganic loganic
Hurray. I've been looking for a more survival game.

You mentioned dragonborne, but do you have any limits on other races? Goblins, tengu , drow, gargoyles?

Definitely interested, possibly an alchemist ratfolk or goblin.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM
wyrm of smurfs

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganic View Post
Hurray. I've been looking for a more survival game.

Definitely interested, possibly an alchemist ratfolk or goblin.
All questions to be answered and reposted in my first post

Pending locations and time of day you may be able to craft

You could play ravenloft type monsters because you would get a bonus

Last edited by spudball; 06-10-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Celestial Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 931
Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudball View Post
Fright checks is a game mechanic
Ok, let me rephrase that then...

How do fright checks interact with bonuses against fear and outright fear immunity.
NOTICE: All events and opinions expressed in-character on this site are fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise simply made-up. They are intended for entertainment purposes only and any perceived relations to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and purely coincidental.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1900
Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete
Posting interest for a Nycter character converted from 3.5 (MM3) to Pathfinder rules. Nycters are basically bat-people. Unsure of class at this time, probably druid, ranger, or scout converted from 3.5. I’m on travel now and will regain access to my books on Wednesday, when I can fill things out better.

Last edited by Arete; 06-10-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 PM
wyrm of smurfs

Tools
User Statistics
Updated post with answered questions and new info

added armor restrictions for beginning the game(does not mean you can use the tougher armor items)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7202
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
I like the sound of this, lots of action. Consider this a placeholder.