Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > House Rules
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 07:04 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7513
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I have a player that I allowed to use spheres of power, but real life issues came up before they could start play. When they finally join, I will see how they work out.

From what I have read about the mechanics, it looks like everyone will need access to the Spheres of Power for the balance.

-me
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 09:07 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34649
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
People I know who use Spheres of Power really like it. But I've been burned with incorporating secondary magic systems. Like JJ says, the balance is only really better if everyone is using the same system. But if you have a book-of-9-swords monk, and a psion, and a warlock, and a wizard all in the same party... game balance tends to come apart quickly because they're mostly balanced to exist with like elements. The more mixing you do, the more things can fall apart.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 02:01 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevetheNPC View Post

But this doesn't exactly model the Shadowrun spellcasting rules, as the dice pool for the Drain Resistance test in Shadowrun is based on the character's mental stats of Willpower + Logic, Charisma or Intuition. Also it would severely penalize a spell caster that has a very low Constitution score in D&D.

So maybe just a single Intelligence check for success/failure, with a failure dealing HP damage equal to the amount the roll failed by?

I also worry about the "swingy-ness" of rolling a d20, which can produce widely varying results. Maybe rolling 3d6 instead to produce more of a bell curve probability?

Also, overall does this make spellcasting way too powerful? Or is that mitigated by the chance of the spell caster taking themselves out when casting a spell?
If you didn't want to make it pure CON, you could do exactly as what you're seeming to suggest here: CON + the spellcaster's spellcasting ability. Whether that's WIS, INT, or CHA.

I thought I had posted something about the Dark Sun series, where your spell energy came from living things, if I recall correctly. You can cast what you want, but it's going to cost someone some hit points.

For me, I kinda like the idea of "fire and forget", because that's what I've been used to through 1st edition. Once your spell was gone, you were down to melee (or ranged combat). Yes, you were pretty squishy, that's why you stuck close to the fighter. 5e mechanics, at least, made you about as effective in melee as any other character, you are simply easier to hit, unless you're particularly nimble.

Last edited by TADHG; Jul 31st, 2021 at 02:02 AM.