Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > General Discussion
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 09:53 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20946
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
I'd like to see an updated edition of the core books, especially the Player's Handbook, incorporating the changes that have come out piecemeal over the last few years, dribbled through various sourcebooks. That way those of us who have acquired those books and changes as they came wouldn't have to replace anything, but new players who buy the PHB would have the most recent adjustments.

They also announced they're pushing out three new/old settings over the next two years, and I can't imagine they'd do that and then immediately make them irrelevant with a whole new ruleset in 2024. I'm really hoping one of those new/old settings will be Planescape.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 07:34 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75693
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Well for starts, "here" doesn't represent a market majority, who flood to Marvel movies of all things; then again I'm notoriously out of touch with cinema, so what do I know?

You call yourself out of touch?

The last movie I saw in a theater was "Saving Private Ryan".
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 01:42 PM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20787
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
I'd love to see Planescape done for 5E more officially than the hat-tips found in the DMG. I'd also be pretty pumped for a Dark Suns campaign setting. I think that hoping for both is a bit too optimistic, though.

Come watch the IronDM competition!
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 02:07 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 548
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
That's true, but Game of Thrones was immensely popular and Witcher has a pretty good non-gamer following. There's a market for fantasy entertainment outside the gaming community. Promise some good effects, exciting scenes, and photogenic heroes played by popular actors and I think such a film would do well.
Of course, and LotR didn't exactly tank, either.
But WotC is a game company, not a movie studio.

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Last game played on RPGX: Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo)!
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 07:58 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23297
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
Of course, and LotR didn't exactly tank, either.
But WotC is a game company, not a movie studio.
Duh - forgot LOTR.

As for being a game company vs. movie studio, those lines are blurring these days. How many video game movies have we seen in recent years? And Milton Bradley--a major Hasbro competitor--got Battleship made.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
From the Unearthed Arcana that came out today with six new playable races in playtest, does it seem like we just might be getting... Spelljammer. Welcome, hippo people and gnome robots.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:34 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45594
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
I've been playing D&D since the original boxed set. And with every introduction except one, the game got a bit better. Truth be told, I'm actually not as into 5E as 3.5/pathfinder simply because I LIKE the more detailed rules.

Anyway, I'm holding off to see how it works out. I have no doubt that this will overlap 5E, since they won't want to lose the new blood they have just brought.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Seems like it'll be Spelljammer, Dark Sun, and Planescape.

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 548
AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG AsenRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
As for being a game company vs. movie studio, those lines are blurring these days. How many video game movies have we seen in recent years?
You got a point on the blurring...and some games have better video than some older movies I've seen.

But if we're talking about how many we've seen, my answer would be "don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen exactly zero"!

I have taken the Oath Of Sangus!

Last game played on RPGX: Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate RPG (solo)!
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
Anyone experiencing joy and anticipation about the new Critical Role adventure book announced today by WotC for March publication?

I wish I were, but I just can't get frothed over it. I'm sure it will be full of interesting ideas, and Twitter is convinced the maps are epic. I almost feel like that's my favorite thing about last year's Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft -- all the maps of the demiplanes.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:57 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8743
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcheerio View Post
Twitter is convinced the maps are epic.
You could slap the Critical Role brand over a pile of dung and Twitter would try to argue it's the greatest gift to Tabletop gaming.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75693
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
You could slap the Critical Role brand over a pile of dung and Twitter would try to argue it's the greatest gift to Tabletop gaming.
You mean Dung 1.0? No, that game sucked. But Dung 3: the new reckoning? Now that's amazeballs!! Critical Role likes it ten times better than Dung 1.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23297
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
You got a point on the blurring...and some games have better video than some older movies I've seen.

But if we're talking about how many we've seen, my answer would be "don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen exactly zero"!
Along the lines of this discussion, the CEO of Hasbro just passed away and the article I read about him says he is known for expanding the company into the entertainment industry, including television and movies. I couldn't find further info in the article, but that's actually fairly interesting.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 08:34 AM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6231
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
?What things from previous editions of D&D definitely should not come back? On my 'never again' list: a powerful barbarian which by rule hated magic and may destroy magic items. This class whenever played caused bickering and PvP in my old gaming group, since every other player and PC loved magic items.

Article on Screenrant: D&D 5.5: Playable Races That Shouldn't Return
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes #25
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 09:43 AM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah-- the magic-hating Barbarian trope is one that I like, but only if implemented well. And it's seldom implemented well by players, at the very least. The idea of having a character that can take away magical advantages from enemies is a pretty cool one.