RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:13 PM
Good Writing > Power Game

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 759
SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC
I am coming into the home stretch for my character and I am at the present day stage, but I am looking for some plot hooks to tie me closer to either Northvale or Strathwood in order to work my way closer to the party.

However, they way my character works is that he is a direct agent of New Athalonia and I cannot speak on behalf of Nikholai Pietrovka or his motivations.

Is there anything that would be of interest to the Athalonians, be it treasure, resources, alliances or direct threats to their underground city?

Last edited by SelfAwareNPC; Dec 16th, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11741
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies
@SelfAwareNPC - While I cannot speak directly for Leo, I have some ideas as to what the Athalonian's might value/be wary of based on previous game experience with Leo.
  • Githyanki incursions into the surface world of origin as well as their explorations in the ruins of old Athalon
  • The tunnels around old Athalon are rife with Including a particularly dangerous yet dramatic lichundead, mutated creatures, and a small but deadly cabal of Kyton demons. Any one of these threats could give Athalon's reason to seek out either alliances or additional means of protections.
  • Athalonian tech is ancient, but certain factions such as the Githyanki have become more aware of its existence and value in the recent era. It could be that your character has learned of a possible cache of Athalonian tech near where you are going or involved with some NPC's of note that they might consider too dangerous to let fall into the hands of others.

These are obviously just rough guesses and inferences, but I would obviously run any of these by Leobyron as I don't know what he might have change in his history that could affect the above suggestions. Otherwise I hope this helps!
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:45 PM

Tools
User Statistics
SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC SelfAwareNPC
Thank you Tedzies

Which of these do you think would be more likely to bring me to where the party is currently? I am unsure of the geography approximation and distances, and I think you guys are above ground if I am reading the bios of these townships right?

Last edited by SelfAwareNPC; Dec 16th, 2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:45 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21153
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfAwareNPC View Post
I am coming into the home stretch for my character and I am at the present day stage, but I am looking for some plot hooks to tie me closer to either Northvale or Strathwood in order to work my way closer to the party.

However, they way my character works is that he is a direct agent of New Athalonia and I cannot speak on behalf of Nikholai Pietrovka or his motivations.

Is there anything that would be of interest to the Athalonians, be it treasure, resources, alliances or direct threats to their underground city?
Possible reasons for an Athalonian to venture out of his subterranean home could be one or some of the following:
  • As EvilTedzies has pointed out, the Athalonians have recently come into contact with a Githyanki squad intent on exploring the ruins surrounding their home, ostensibly to salvage some tech or other ancient artifacts they might find.
  • Athalonians would be concerned that the Githyanki knowledge of their existence might present a threat to their very existence and may have sent scouts out to the surface to ally themselves with enemies of the Gith in exchange for military aid.
  • During their scouting missions, these scouts could have discovered news of the Rebellion in the north who seek to oppose the Emperor and offer a more active resistance to the Githyanki invasion than the emperor has so far displayed. This would have led them to Northvale, haven in the north.
  • It is possible that some of the holy men of the Athalonians could have received visions of the coming danger from the deep beyond and sent some of their more hardy individuals to learn more and perhaps oppose what might pose a threat to all civilizations, including their own
  • It is also possible that the Athalonians would have sent scouts to find an alternative home outside the knowledge or reach of the Githyanki invaders. During their explorations they may have happened upon events which made them aware of the scope of the danger presented to the peoples of Origin and worked to join the fight against what is coming, both against the Githyanki and the evil forces pushing their way through the thinning fabric between worlds.

I would be open to alternative ideas concerning how the Athalonians might have involved themselves in world events. One event that did occur regardless is the recent squad of Githyanki Va'Dok'thra who visited and nearly started a war with the Athalonians. The event left a bad taste in the Athalonian ruler's mouth and made them enemies.

- Lord Byron

Last edited by LeoByron; Dec 16th, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 07:51 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you guys! I think I can work with this
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 08:02 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
For reference, here is an incomplete map with some of the locations in play.

Magra'Teah is the current Githyanki seat of power.
The Ruins of Athalon, just north of the river which separates the Wastelands from the north, is home to the Athalonians, among other subterranean creatures and horrors.
Valejo, in the north, has been conquered by Githyanki forces.
Northvale is the seat of the northern rebellion, home to the Guardians of the North and the Dzid beneath them.
Dusk is the Imperial capital and seat of Power for Kaine's empire.
Dolthane is the Dwarven capital, recently attacked by the Gith but repelled by the Guardians of the North and the Dzid.
Shaolin is the capital of the Eastern Kingdom of the same name, home of Samurai, ninjas and their ilk, ruled by Daimyos who are among the more recent additions to Kaine's empire.

- Lord Byron

Last edited by LeoByron; Dec 16th, 2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 09:58 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
By request, I have allowed the Mythos Ghoul from Petersen's Call of Cthulhu resource book.

No other races presented in this book are allowed, however.

- Lord Byron
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 11:22 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
For clarity, I have edited the note on Item Crafting at character creation to read as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Item Crafting
[*]Item Creation: One Magic Item crafting Feat will grant +25% WBL (8,250 gp or 15,500 gp if Noble). Two or more will grant +50% WBL (16,500 gp or 31,000 gp if Noble). This extra wealth must be spent on items the character could have crafted with these Feats. Bonus wealth remains unaffected. Note: You get extra wealth for crafting feat(s) but must still pay full market price for items you take. You are getting extra wealth rather than paying half price for crafting.
Formerly I had said this wealth can be used for crafting items which implies these are purchased at half price, which they are not. Instead, the Feat, or feats, provide a flat bonus to wealth which is spent at normal market value like all other gear you would purchase at character creation.

- Lord Byron
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 11:37 PM

Tools
User Statistics
What kind of ranged weaponry do the githyanki use in this campaign?
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 11:37 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
I also added the following caveat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remaining Wealth
Once the game starts, you will keep only 25% of any remaining wealth above 1,000 gp. For example, if you have 2,000 gp remaining, you will keep only 1,250 gp [ ((2,000 - 1,000) * 0.25) + 1,000 = 1,250 gp ]

- Lord Byron
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 11:39 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfAwareNPC View Post
What kind of ranged weaponry do the githyanki use in this campaign?
This largely depends on the individual. Their weaponry varies as widely as that of humans, really. Bows, Crossbows, Javelins, Ballistae... the usual...

- Lord Byron
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Purgare Wildlife Preserve

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1400
PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis PainterOfMinis
Josef Hammerback is complete
Recovering from poor mental health. Dropping most/all games I was in. You have my deepest apologies and I wish you all the best of luck, however I believe most of you have replaced me/moved on without me (understandably!) and I probably no longer fit due to vanished characters and advanced plots.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Ghost

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterOfMinis View Post
Josef Hammerback is complete
I updated the applicants' table. Thank you!

- Lord Byron
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies Eviltedzies
Eviltedzies Character
left-aligned image

Name: Nemo Giovanni
Race: Fetchling
Classes: Reaper || Thaumaturge
Archetypes: Magekiller || Void Gazer
Alignment: Leaning towards Lawful Evil. Nemo doesn't necessarily do evil for evil's sake and he can empathize with others but can chose to push through his misgivings and get his hands dirty if the situation calls for it. Has far less qualms doing evil against other evil doers.Neutral Evil
Intended Roles: Heavy Dark sphere use for area of effect debuffs.Magical Battlefield Control
Sheet Link: Here

Last edited by Eviltedzies; Jan 5th, 2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Valor Morgahlis

Tools
User Statistics
Even though I am already accepted, I wanted to post my character information here for folks to see. If it helps you get an idea for the character, his mechanics, or even ideas for tie-ins between the characters then good.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to assist. Specifically if my sheet is any indication I have a predilection for building strong characters mechanically so if you aren't sure about a mechanics issue ask away!