Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 11:02 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Rhandyne Rhandyne
Nice to meet you!

Hey Everyone!

Thank you for letting me join the site. I've been playing tabletop RPGs for about 16 years now, and got into play-by-post more than a decade ago. I've got experience playing and running games in-person and via play-by-post, but I've mostly done the latter recently because it has gotten harder to set time aside to meet in person. I've got experience with D&D 4e & 5e, Pathfinder 1e & 2e, Shadowrun 4e, FFG Star Wars, Fate Accelerated, Mutants & Masterminds 3e, and Lasers & Feelings and variations on that theme.

I look forward to gaming with you all in the future!
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 01:24 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4504
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
good evening!
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 08:18 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 90989
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here. Sounds like you bring a ton of experience across a lot of systems, hope you have fun. Happy gaming!
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 02:48 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 76289
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
A decade of play by post is impressive! So, school me, please! What have you found to be the essentials for adapting a TTRPG to the play by post format? Let's say all other things are equal and you have a good GM, good players, etc. What are the essentials to tweaking a game to ensure that it just doesn't translate, but comes alive and picks up on some PbP strong points to become a great game?
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 10:57 PM
Forever ruffled

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24083
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site! Awesome to see a new Fate aficionado on the site.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 07:38 AM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21007
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Rhandyne,

Cool name, is it from a PC of yours? Ten years experience with PbP is outstanding. I have found the PbP format allows for more thoughtful and deliberate storytelling. In addition, I have found it also encourages a deeper connection to PCs, making decisions, often "life and death," for the PC that much more important and fun! We have some games on this site that have gone of for years, even decades.

In way of an introduction, I'm a D&D 5e player, but I also love L5R, King Arthur Pendragon, GURPS, and RuneQuest. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Which of those systems you list is your favorite? How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, historical fiction, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech, etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks, if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. To start, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 09:31 AM
GMing in Rome and Gareth.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6930
Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin
Welcome to the site and yes, what they said: quite a wealth of game systems. Enjoy your time here.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 05:25 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Rhandyne Rhandyne
Thanks everyone! ^_^

Yeah, was really lucky to fall in with a tabletop group with a ton of experienced players. They got bored easily, so we'd switch systems a lot. I ended up working abroad and couldn't play with that group anymore, so I switched to play-by-post to keep scratching my RPG itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
A decade of play by post is impressive! So, school me, please! What have you found to be the essentials for adapting a TTRPG to the play by post format? Let's say all other things are equal and you have a good GM, good players, etc. What are the essentials to tweaking a game to ensure that it just doesn't translate, but comes alive and picks up on some PbP strong points to become a great game?
Well, I've got a ton of experience with pbp going good as well as going bad, so I'm definitely not an expert at getting all games to run smoothly. :-p That being said, I think the two most important things are trust and flexibility. Whether you are playing or running the game, you have to be able to trust your groupmates. You have to trust that the GM is going to adjust the rules so that they are fair to the pbp format (like figuring out initiative, how to fairly incorporate tactical positioning if that's what the system calls for, etc.). You also have to trust your players to give and take feedback on how the game is running, assume good intentions on posts, and that everyone has an agreed-upon understanding of what "fun" means for the group.

As for flexibility, that's where adjusting the rules as written, rolling along with your groupmates' IC ideas, and maintaining an ensemble mindset (everyone gets a chance to shine) comes into play.

That's my best advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post
Howdy Rhandyne,

Cool name, is it from a PC of yours? Ten years experience with PbP is outstanding. I have found the PbP format allows for more thoughtful and deliberate storytelling. In addition, I have found it also encourages a deeper connection to PCs, making decisions, often "life and death," for the PC that much more important and fun! We have some games on this site that have gone of for years, even decades.
Haha, yeah my name comes from a random PC I made for a one-off game. There's no real deep connection to the character, but I thought it was a good enough name to recycle. I really enjoy pbp because it gives me a creative writing outlet, although I do miss getting to play and riff off of people in-person.

As for systems or settings, I'm pretty flexible. I've found over time that being able to play in settings that allow for a little bit of positivity and goofiness is best for my mental health. That can fit in high or low fantasy, soft or hard sci-fi, or superhero games. The one thing I try to avoid are really crunchy rule systems, but that's from having my old tabletop group constantly switch things (like trying to learn the Hero System 6th edition for a game that ended up lasting 2 sessions, lol).

Thank you for the suggestions, and I definitely will have to check those games out! ^_^
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 12:07 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 55310
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Hiya Rhandyne! We're lucky to have someone with your depth of experience, and I'm really glad you're here! You've got a lot more knowledge than most new members, but if you do run into a question or something we can help you with, do let us know! This is a great community of writers and readers, and of course gamers, and you're very welcome here.
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 09:51 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36365
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Goodday Rhandyne,

Welcome over here, and happy gaming. If you need help or guidance starting up, please reach out :-)
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 08:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10095
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
I just wanted to add a very belated welcome, Rhandyne! Thank you for bringing all of your experience with you I hope you're easing your way into the site!
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 02:07 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Rhandyne Rhandyne
Thank you everyone! ^_^ I am still getting the hang of things on the site. I think I need to practice with the dice roller a bit.

But I'm really happy to be here. I've got a few game ideas that are bouncing around in the old noggin, and will hopefully get something written up soon.