twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
There are spells (ranger spells, at least) that let you add silver or adamantine to natual weapons, and cleric spells that let you cover dr/alignment. But then dr/alignment is always a bit of a pain.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35662
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asztirejan View Post
Monk/psychic warrior can be good.
I can't speak to whether a bear can headbutt, but I second Asz's comment. I'm playing a Monk/Psychic Warrior currently and am very pleased. Both classes are melee based, and both rely on Wisdom as their primary ability, and Psychic Warriors can heal themselves, which Monks cannot.

I found three feats that worked particularly well.

Overcoming low STR...
Intuitive Attack: Use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength modifier as a bonus on your attacks.

Multi-classing as a monk (the rules say you can't, technically, but...)
Monastic Training: Pick one class. You may now multiclass in the chosen class and still take levels of Monk.

Tashalatora: Psi class levels stack with Monk for AC, Flurry of Blows & unarmed strike damage.

Tashalatora is really helpful, since it means you don't need to progress in Monk any farther than you like, and can instead stock up on those extra feats and powers you gain as a Psi Warrior.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
Mountain, you might like to state the books and pages those feats are from

Both are 3/4 BAB classes,so chances are you aren't going to be getting 4 attacks per round

A good WIS score is very useful, more power points and more AC
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35662
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
, good call.

Tash: SoS
Intuitive attack: BoED
Monastic: ECS
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
got his star punch ready

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Piconjo
I don't see why a bear couldn't headbutt. I'd love to see a bear do Muay Thai though.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4756
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piconjo View Post
I don't see why a bear couldn't headbutt. I'd love to see a bear do Muay Thai though.
They can be taught to dance. Give them a human intelligence and I don't see it as unlikely...
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:41 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Rojack79
i would love to see a Monk/Barbarian or a Monk/Fighter. Why? Because i'm trying to go for a cloud strife kind of guy and with pathfinder they have a barbarian archetype that lets you wield a great sword one handed. That combined with the monk's martial art's skill's scream's cloud strife to me.

Last edited by Rojack79; May 24th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 342
Ohenoki Ohenoki Ohenoki Ohenoki
In regards to bears and fighting
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Vampire Cat
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19247
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
That was awesome. Also, in regards to bears and dancing.

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!

Last edited by Arucard; May 25th, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 654
SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon
One Pathfinder that I thought of, quite a slow build but very amusing when it hits it's stride- Flowing Monk, Crane Style path. (the important parts being at 2nd level, your AoO's make the recipient flatfooted on hits, and Crane Style at maxed (which takes till 7th) allows you to basically parry and AoO one melee attack a round. Take to 8. Multiclass into rogue or probably even better ninja since then you get another ki class. You can now tank (Fighting defensively for low penalty, plus Wis bonus, plus probable dex bonus, plus Monk bonus, plus Crane bonuses to Defensive) AND put out solid damage output in melee because you're sneak attacking solo.
Natural 1's: 15
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5739
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarDragon View Post
One Pathfinder that I thought of, quite a slow build but very amusing when it hits it's stride- Flowing Monk, Crane Style path. (the important parts being at 2nd level, your AoO's make the recipient flatfooted on hits, and Crane Style at maxed (which takes till 7th) allows you to basically parry and AoO one melee attack a round. Take to 8. Multiclass into rogue or probably even better ninja since then you get another ki class. You can now tank (Fighting defensively for low penalty, plus Wis bonus, plus probable dex bonus, plus Monk bonus, plus Crane bonuses to Defensive) AND put out solid damage output in melee because you're sneak attacking solo.
You may be able to speed it up by multi-classing into unarmed fighter which allows you to grab a style feat without the prerequesites, and at level 5 will let you have specialization (worth 2 damage dice increases) and grab weapon training, which allows gloves of dueling.

Pity there isn't (to my knowledge) a lawful barbarian archetype (or the ability to combine flowing monk with martial artist) a level or 2 of barbarian and grabbing furious on the amulet of mighty fists could really do a build like this good. Definitely something to be watching for in future splat books (or if your DM allows you to use
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 654
SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon
On your last comment, Aasimar barbarian/monk crossclass with Angelkin lineage and linked trait.
Natural 1's: 15
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 264
Osellic Osellic Osellic
If you really want to be an untouchable awesome monk you take vow of poverty. It's practically built for the monk. Then take a couple levels of sorcerer, and prestige into the Enlightened fist class. Finally once you max out that at around level 14-16 you take master of east wind (or any other direction, its from dragon magazine) and you'll never fear anything again.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4756
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
In Pathfinder, a Barbarian/Monk multi-class can be pretty hilarious combination.

A martial artist archetype can be of any alignment; why not chaotic? Take to level five and you become immune to fatigue, so it synergizes farily well They also gain the ability to ignore the hardness of anything they seek to sunder, which combined with strength surge, early entry into rage cycling, and the amount of damage they can throw with their unarmed strike... well, if you ever meet anything dependent on a weapon, don't worry about it too much.

You have to choose between ignoring hardness and using strength surge round to round, but between the two you should be able to snap even magical swords in half before tripping them the next round. And in the rounds where you aren't snapping swords in half you deal respectable amounts of damage. Not a bad option if you're building a brute monk, and being immune to fatigue means that things like Furious Finish start becoming a pretty okay options.

(I was recently forced to think about both classes alot recently, please forgive me.)
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words

Last edited by loki_ragnarock; Jun 18th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Hiram
rojack79 where did you find that great sword archetype sounds awesome for my Barbarian/Monk I play
Closed Thread