Game Thread Chapter V: The Beast on Trial - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2015 > Carrion Crown > Confessions
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33065
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten

Runahildr Valkadottir

Runa had frowned as the barrister had begun talking about each individual case. It was clear she was musing over something as the rest of the group spoke up in turn. Mara's words finally prompted a response from her.

"They are being swayed, Mara," she remarked as she looked at the songstress. "Or did you not see the effigy going up in the town square? The guards outside this courthouse all wired up and ready for a brawl? They might not be directly forced or coerced, but the mob wants blood, and I think at some point it will not matter whose it is."

The paladin shook her head and gave a wry face.
"The clergy of Pharasma seem intent on a burning. Their leader is a firebrand preacher and while I do not believe he would commit wanton acts of deceit or pull the wool over people's eyes, I am of the persuasion he will be leaning heavily on anyone remotely connected to this case to get the verdict he desires. Yesterday he was at the Cathedral of Incandescent Valor, probably to strongarm a decision out of them, and I had the dubious pleasure of talking with him. He is a persuasive man. Intense too. Thinks in nothing but black and white. I can only too well imagine him putting divine fear into anyone offering him a view of events that is at odds with his own vision and world-view." She paused. "And I believe he is only one agitator out of many trying to sway public opinion as well as the judges - by proxy if not directly."

The paladin tapped a finger against her thigh. Apparently it was part of her thinking process. She turned back to Kaple and took the half-step needed to once more look directly at the map.
"This place. Hergstag. That was not done by the prisoner. I have not heard of this particular story, but I have read descriptions in old tomes that places the culprit of this into a different category - one the Order of the Lazuline Blade is sworn to oppose at every turn."

Runa crossed her arms in front of her chest as she continued.
"This was the work of the undead - specifically one of the undead that spawns more of its own kind through the wanton destruction of life. That the children presumably return as ghosts to haunt their own parents, marks it as incorporeal and malevolant in nature, so my best bet is that this was the work of a wraith - one that is somehow tied to the village or its surroundings. If that theory is true, it, and its spawn, will still be there, and if so, they need to be purged."

She frowned.
"The only part that is puzzling me, is that the prisoner was involved in this. What puzzles me is that he seems to have been aware of the nature of this creature and what it was trying to accomplish - and somehow he managed to pull the body of the girl away before she was turned. Something to question him about when we met him, I think."

Last edited by Thorsten; Mar 27th, 2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 09:57 PM
/ing fiction from reality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13883
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Carlo has trouble figuring out what to make of this conversation. It feels very contrived. On one hand, Kaple wants to go through with legal procedures to defend someone he doesn’t believe is innocent. On the other hand, Runa wants to risk their lives to figure out if the thing is innocent when she doesn’t know for sure. Even Pike seems caught up in this game of playing by a set of arbitrary rules where someone else’s life, whom they don’t seem to care for one way or the other, seems to be in the balance. The whole process feels almost blasphemous to Carlo. It’s as if someone were stacking a Harrow deck just to impress everyone with some parlor trick. Sure, he’d stacked the deck a time or two when his own life depended on it, or if it meant getting out of memorizing some spell back in school. But just to make a point of following some arbitrary system? No, that Carlo would not stand for. It was anathema to him. Truth was random. Truth was shuffling up and dealing and being surprised by the result. There were connections between events, he knew this to be true, but he also knew they would not be ruled over by some petty government that would not likely last another century. If he found a meaningful connection, he would be the happiest man alive, but there was no point in playing these silly games of government that only had an ancillary connection to reality if even that.

So when Hrani mentioned a place with a lot of books, bar hopping, and influencing the general public through the innate connections that hold them together instead of some contrived system of government, Carlo was all over that idea. “I’ve been meaning to visit this University myself,” he says to the elf. “Mind if I come along?”
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 03:16 AM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45867
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Runa's words remind the singer of some unanswered questions stuck in the back of her mind, beginning with the mysterious circumstances in Hergstag. “The poor girl that was brought back, Ellsa ... is her father and family here in Lepidstadt now? Do you know where we might find them, to ask about the incident? Or are her relatives the witnesses for the prosecution?” She exchanges an uneasy glance with the others before resuming her questioning of Kaple. “Did ... did they just leave her body there, unburied, in Hergstag?” Mostly she is dismayed and disgusted by the thought, but a tiny part of her wonders if Pike would be able to examine the body for some useful information.

Shaking her head, she looks at the paladin. “This preacher of Pharasma sounds problematic. I wonder, is it he who had the effigy made?” The songstress looks back at the barrister for confirmation. “Whose idea was it to build the effigy in the first place?” She shudders at the thought of the inferno being prepared.

“In any case,” Mara sighs reluctantly as she slowly stands, “time is of the essence, is it not? There is little point speculating further, not when we can speak directly with the defendant and the witnesses.” She gives Kaple the slightest of nods. “I am ready whenever you are.”
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 10:32 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
To Carlo's question, the barrister stares at the Varisian, as if studying him. He tries to get an understand of just who he is looking at. For a moment, Carlo feels as though he's been recognized, but how could he be? Reputation is not the same as having actually met. "There is always that possibility, b-but I don't see it, myself. That's an uphill battle I feel woefully unp-prepared to make." As to the spider thing, he can't comment on that. "The list of victims is on each sheet. I didn't have the p-pleasure of meeting any of them, save Dr. Brada. A man d-driven to p-p-p... prove himself. Not unp-pleasant, b-but...." He frowns. "He t-thought my d-d-disorder s-something he could s-s-solve. W-with a knife." How even...?

Pike, then goes on his litany of issues with the prosecution's case. The disconnectedness of it all, that they may have stumbled upon something else. Kaple, however, is unmoved. "You've not seen the B-beast when he rages. W-when he becomes overwhelmed, fourteen guards can scarcely hold him back. His wrath is legendary; that I have seen for myself. Lepidstadt University is proof enough for those who have not." A fair point, but not one that dissolves the argument made. Indeed, it relies heavily on preexisting bias. Hrani recognizes that and speaks to it. From there, it diverges into planning. But Hrani has his own questions, and they are of a legal nature. Who knew the Elf was such a legal scholar? Kaple perks to this, but sighs.

"Yes, but in this case, public sentiment is different. What good has the Beast done? Look at its name: there is no alternative that does not evoke terror in the citizens of this county, let alone Lepidstadt. You would need to find undeniable proof of the Beast's goodness, and from the University alone I believe that to be an impossibility." As the conversation turns to one of where to go and when, Mara asks another fair question: who are the other judges.

"Judge Embreth Daramid, who is fair but strict, is the first judge I came to know here and is well regarded for her sharp legal opinions and her interpretations of the law, which set aside compassion and bias for sound logic. Ambrose Khard is not different, though older, and is one for procedure; a break in procedure could see fines imposed on us, any of us. But he is fair himself. The third judge, however..." Kaple goes a shade paler. "'Aldaar the Impaler,' they call him. I do not recall the war he fought in, but it's said that he impaled four of his own men for attempted desertion. It's a reputation that has followed him here, to Lepidstadt. He is a hard-liner in the extreme, giving the harshest punishments and not always following letter of the law or intention. He will be the hardest to convince." How does a man with that moniker get to become a judge?

"If, you mean. If I obtain a delay in proceedings, but..." The laughing next door only increases as someone opens the door, one of the voices speaking as the laughter echoes into the court chamber. There is a pleasantness to the voice that speaks, unerring and confident. It stands at the door beside their room, as if prepared to come in, but spends too much time in conversation.

"I'll get it done." The barrister nods, collecting his notes. Jamir, looking around, sighs. "I would love to join you, Hrani, but I think I'll be staying. I need to make sense of each of these notes, and I want to make sure I understand the law. To the letter, as the phrasing goes, I think?" Kendra nods as well. "I think I'll be staying as well, unless I'm needed." She says no more on the matter, and indeed, Mara has another pertinent question. Kaple shakes his head. "Moved away, sadly, could not bear to be so near his daughter. We've requested his return, but so far we've found nothing as to where he's gone: a night in Canterwall, but nothing beyond that. The father was a good man, I understand, but his daughter's death broke him. She, like all the children, were given a burial in the Boneyard there. All other relatives are unknown to me, but it might be an avenue of exploration." Before any other conversation goes forward, a knock at the door. Kendra moves to open it, confused.

"—Don't worry, Barrister, I've a reputation to uphold; how else will Caliphas hear about your sense of humor?" The charming voice was all too familiar, it seemed. Whoever was speaking to the prosecution, seemingly as a friend, seems to have been a double agent. But who does he serve? The man smiles, Kendra's face surprised before becoming a smile.

"Adivion Adrissant, barrister for the defense! At your service." A bow at the door, as he looks over each and every soul in the room. When looking to Runa, he makes a point to look at her eyepatch; when looking at Carlo, he moves much too quickly. Heading for the table, he takes a seat besides Jamir. "And you must be Barrister Kaple. You'll be happy to know that I received my writ of station four years ago and have argued for less hopeful cases in three different counties, all to success." He does not offer his hand, nor does Kaple look to shake it. He stares at Adrissant, completely unamused.

"I am your understudy, Barrister, as I think you know your reputation. You've quite a history of success under your belt, and more importantly, you're fair. You're the ringmaster, I'm merely the clown at your beck and call." It's as if he read the thoughts of the man, as Kaple's face morphs. "You do know magic is not allowed in the chambers, yes? That we will have a powerful priestess of Iomedae and a priest of Pharasma on hand to prevent any magic in the court chamber and any use therein—"

"—could lead to retrial or worse, blah blah, yes, I know. Time is of the essence, Barrister! I know how we are limited, and I would not put this case in jeopardy. I only wish to help. It's not my fault I'm damned good at predicting what's going to be said. Intelligence is its own reward." Not exactly a humble brag. He turns back to the bunch.

"Hope you're all ready for the day. What'd I miss? Who's going where, or did I mis-hear with my magic ears?" He winks to Mara, before looking each of them over once more, skipping Carlo entirely and dedicating more time to Andrzej. But why?
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 05:30 PM

Tools
User Statistics
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
It wasn’t all that surprising that Carlo’s first addition to the conversation did not go over that well. His view of reality was quite different than that of pretty much everyone else. At the least he hadn’t seemed to offend anyone in the process. But all bets were off when Adivion entered the room.

“Why’d you let it live?” he burst out as soon as Adivion based on that smug look on his face and the wink he’d given Marawas apparently done talking.

At Adrissant’s apparent befuddlement to his question, Carlo presses harder. “You know who I’m talking about: the one that called itself Olga von Schillern-Plotze. Why would you let something like that live after what she had…I mean, after it had been so…so cruel?”

His face contorts in anguished rage as he spits out the last of his question. To some it might seem a tangent to the question at hand: the legal wranglings which Carlo does not completely understand the value of. But Carlo’s question in some way refocuses on the core of the issue they are trying to solve: the issue of identity. Who gets to be a he or a she, and who must always be an it? Who gets a trial and who might justifiably be shot in the back while running away because of the dangers they pose to the world? Did Olga’s beauty give her a pass though her heart held naught but darkness? Was this brutish creature forever going to be linked to any unsolved crime because of the fears and prejudices of society? Were Carlo’s own former crimes somehow now more forgivable just because he’d had his heart broken?

There were no easy answers to these questions, so society had by and large chosen to ignore them, pretend they did not matter. Lepidstadt had made its effigies and gallows in an effort to hide these uncomfortable truths, to bring a sense of closure to all their hurts regardless of the right of things.

A deep moan from somewhere below them shook the room. Carlo was so wrapped up in his own petty bitterness that he did not truly hear it. Nor did most of the rest who walked these halls.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 06:58 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
As Kaple describes Judge Aldaar, Mara’s forehead crinkles with some consternation. A hanging judge, if she recalls the lumping all land dwellers together heredistinctly human expression correctly. She would not be surprised if an overly impatient Aldaar were the one behind the effigy.

However, her mood brightens when Jamir speaks, declining the magus’s invitation. “I quite concur,” she looks down warmly at the halfling, “for I can think of no one better suited to the task of processing so much …” she glances disdainfully at the reams of paper, “… information. Far more efficient for you to pierce through to the heart of the matter, and then relay the essentials to us.” And indeed, given the time constraints, it makes a certain amount of sense that one person scour the notes for the benefit of all, allowing the others to attend to different tasks. Not that Mara has this reason in mind—she simply wishes to avoid a dreary slog through so much dry material, saturated though it may be with key names and facts. It would be much easier, and more fitting, for the information to be filtered through a wizard’s brain first, and for that the singer flashes an appreciative smile at the accommodating halfling.

Adrissant’s entrance is another matter. Although she is initially glad to see him—after all, the defense will need all the help it can get—it seems as if he is winking expectantly at her to recap the morning’s events. She does not realize that he is looking past her, at Andrzej. A flicker of annoyance crosses her face. Does he really expect her to act as a mere lackey, again? She has not forgotten last night’s indignity of being forced to carry Lorrimor’s books, and so, she prepares to welcome the nobleman with a sweet, sweet smile ...

And then Carlo interjects with a completely unexpected question.

“What?!” The singer whirls around in bewilderment, her eyes bouncing back and forth between Carlo and Adivion. “How do you know Olga?” Her gaze shifts back to Carlo. “You saw Olga here? When?”
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 09:12 PM
of flesh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10494
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
left-aligned image
Andrzej Zaituc
Andrzej could only watch the carriage crash in slow motion. Carlo's lips moving at a snail's pace, the word "Olga" sailing into the room...

Oh, fratti, why now?

No use trying to put the milk back in the cow. Wasn't that how the saying went? Some farm girl had said that to him once, but the situation was quite different.

"Carlo, kinsman, perhaps you had better tell everyone else what you told me? We do have quite a few things on our plate and, though I wouldn't have thought now to be the best of times, we should handle this quickly and earnestly."

All that being said, the Varisian was glad there was a distraction. Adrissant's eyeing of him had made him uncomfortable.

Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 04:17 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Hrani listens to Kaple's reply, and it confirms what he had already thought. This will not only be a case of proving the beast's innocence in the committed crimes, but also swaying public opinion of it. A steep road indeed. All the better that Carlo seems to be willing to join him on his way to the university and to meet up with Myphar. He gives the Varisian a nod and the barest hint of a smile. Far from minding, by the standards of the elf it is almost as if he is saying he would be happy to have the company.

"Again, I think someone should talk to the guards, especially those who spent the most time-" The magus' musings are cut short by the appearance of Adivion Adrissant. Hrani takes a deep breath, hiding his annoyance at this man. He had already seemed irritating the previous evening, and he was quickly confirming the initial impression, quickly moving into 'annoying' territory.

The Carlo stirs up the whole room, by asking a dramatic question. Or so it seems by all the reactions. Personally, Hrani can't place the name Olga. Oh, it's quite possible the others have mentioned this woman...or this thing, judging by the Varisian's question. But the others talk a lot, and mention a lot of names. It is one of those annoying habits the uncivilized races seem to have. The elf thinks back to hours upon hours on their trip here where he could hear them blabbering from the inside of the carriage. The memory makes him shudder. It is no wonder he hasn't stored this name. Why would he have, if it fell in the midst of seemingly pointless ramblings he was trying to shut out.

In any case, Hrani shifts casually so that he could more readily draw Orenmir. Not that he thinks the situation is going to escalate that badly, but it is best to be in a good position if it does. Then the magus stands still, patiently waiting for the drama in front of him to play out...

Last edited by Inem; Apr 2nd, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 11:40 AM

Tools
User Statistics

“No, Olga’s not here,”
Carlo snaps. “I meant back at the barn. Adivion is the wizard I told you about.”

He’s not going to tell the story again. Twice was enough. It was sufficiently traumatic just to see Adivion again. Somewhere in the room, he was sure he could hear Jamir's ample eyebrows raising in delight at this new revelation.

“If you didn’t want me around this past month, Kendra, you can blame your old childhood friend. It was his idea.”

So there’s that.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:54 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
It wouldn't be easy if there wasn't a break in the well-oiled machine that threatened to bring it all come crashing down. Even the best Sky Fortress can be brought down if a brick is left broken. For Carlo, this brick cannot wait to be fixed.

Jamir, pleased with himself at Mara's comment, tries to hide his coy smile at her own coy comment. The Halfling knows her well enough to take the comment as playful at worst, and while it appears the conversation is going to continue in this trajectory, Adivion shows up. Adivion Adrissant, master of every room he walks into, keeper of the flow of conversation ever in his favor, destroyer of anything that didn't go his way.

Suddenly caught in a trap.

His jaw clenches as Carlo calls him out, then the others make plain they want answers as well. Andrzej knows the story; that means he can't lie his way out of it. Or can he? Adivion is an unknown factor for most people here. Beyond that, everyone shifts tones completely. Hrani looks as though he might draw a blade, Jamir looks like he might devour everyone in the room with his lust for secrets. Kendra's face is uncharacteristically emotionless, her face noticeably paler. She doesn't justify Carlo's comment at all, but instead sets her gaze on Adivion, her eyes like a viper.

Adivion sighs. "Yes, I was there that night. When I decided not to go to Ravengro, when I... let fear get the better of me, I stayed with a local farmer, a widow of good reputation outside of town. You found your way into the barn with... Olga? That thing has a name? And having been woken from a rather pleasant dream, of a kind, I followed the lights outside. Where I should discover a poor lost lamb and a wolf ready to feast. And I drove her off, with what small spells I have at my disposal. After that? I was spent. So, you tell me, sir: why should I go running into the dark after something that could well kill me?" He looks away from Carlo, to Kendra. "I know I didn't mention it last night, that Carlo and I had met. It didn't seem relevant and I didn't want to bring her up. I didn't know who she was... I still don't. What's the significance of that Changeling-turned-hag?"

Kaple coughs. "As much as I love a good mystery, you're wasting my time. Now I must ask if you're going to continue this... reunion, you do it elsewhere. I have a strategic delay to plan." He growls, and Jamir, not quite satisfied, does not turn away from his work. Kendra's face, still stone cold, looks briefly to Runa, then joins Kaple in looking over the case.

A moan from elsewhere reminds them of the trial at hand. The trial of Adivion Adrissant might wait for another time, but his answers? Carlo feels less than satisfied by them. They're.... they're...

Mundane.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:43 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33065
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten

Runahildr Valkadottir

Runa's mood visibly dampened when Adrissant stepped into the room and she resumed he initial position among her companions where she remained without saying a word.

Her eyebrow crept upwards at Carlo's outburst - and her brow furrowed at the knowledge that Adrissant was the 'powerful wizard' the Varissian had talked about when he had opened himself to the party. Why was Adivion Adrissant suddenly present everywhere? It seemed there wasn't a part of this whole affair that wasn't somehow pickled in Adrissant, one way or another.

Runa wouldn't go as far as to state she hated the man. Hate was a strong thing to declare. But she had enough self-insight to realize she had an extreme dislike for the aristocrat and had a feeling that it was mutual. His assumed title as Lorrimor's Heir and the way he managed to insert himself when he felt it convenient and then exfiltrated himself the moment he didn't 'feel for it' anymore also rankled the paladin. Alongside his larger than life demeanor and the way he made himself out to be the champion of good when he most definitely wasn't made him seem... contrived somehow.

Runa took a deep breath and only then noticed Kendra's glance. Suddenly she became all to aware of herself. Had her thoughts shown through on her face? Composing herself as Kendra's eyes continued on, the paladin simply waited for the rest to finish up. With Adrissant here now she was more than eager to head out.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 01:56 AM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
Mara’s gaze continues to flit back and forth between Carlo and Adivion; the revelation that Adrissant is the mystery wizard does little to alleviate her confusion. Frankly, she had half-thought the wizard to be a fabrication to embellish Carlo’s tale, a too-good-to-be-true savior in the right place at the right time. But now that he is actually real? The coincidences of both barn and Lepidstadt are a bit much—and as the late Professor might say, there is no such thing as a coincidence. The news raises some doubts about Adrissant’s impeccable timing …and about Carlo.

For Adivion is right: why would he chase after Olga to kill her? Was it not enough to drive her off, and save a life? More importantly, why is Carlo so insistent on her death? Is it a fiery vengeance that burns in his heart … or is it an overriding fear and hatred of a woman concealing a monstrous form? Mara has no idea what Olga looked like in that barn, but she does remember the look on Carlo’s face when he first saw her for what she is—his true feelings upon seeing her true form. Why’d you let it live? Is that how he feels about her?

Her thoughts are disrupted by the barrister. “Yes, you are quite right,” she nods at Kaple with a distracted air, then once again, more firmly and with purpose, even as she edges away from Carlo, “time is of the essence.” The singer looks intently at Adrissant as she repeats his words; his slights remain unforgiven. “Adivion,” the name is spoken with the friendly familiarity of a lady greeting a maid, “do be a dear and assist Barrister Kaple, to seek a delay in the proceedings, for as much time as you can manage. I am quite certain that your gilded tongue can ingratiate our cause with the judges as well as you did with the prosecution, yes? Already our prospects are brighter.” The soprano flashes a sweet, sweet smile. She is
Dice Sense Motive on Adivion:
1d20+3 (7)+3 Total = 10
unsure as to Adrissant’s motives in speaking with the other barristers, but for now she does not much care. Right now she simply wants out of the same room with Carlo.

“Come, let us see the prisoner,” she gestures towards Pike, Runa, and Andrzej with an inviting sweep of her arm before addressing Hrani with an outstretched hand. “Do not fret; I shall speak with the guards.” She says nothing to Carlo, glad that he is going to the university with the elf. On her way to the door she glances expectantly at Kaple. “If you would kindly arrange an escort? We shall speak with the witnesses afterward.”
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25298
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Pike kept his mouth shut when the drama unfolded, watching through heavy eyebrows as Carlo lost his temper on Adivion. It was clear to him that the Varisian was still dealing with his stint with Olga, the rage and the fear in his voice was obvious. But as for Adivion he was unsure, the man appeared to speak the truth, plain as it was, but the way he'd barge into the room with the echoes of the prosecution laughter trailing him left a sour taste in Pike's mouth. Still, it wasn't enough for him to dislike the man, oh he didn't trust him farther than he could throw him, but he found him entertaining to a certain degree.

This spectacle didn't belong in here, that much he did agree and he was grateful when Mara started ushering people out, as he walked by Carlo he nudged him discreetly with his elbow and offered him a reassuring nod - a small gesture he hoped the Varisian would see a sign that Pike, at least, was on his side. The last thing the man needed was to think his companions were trying to brush this off.

"Right you are Miss Mara, we have much to do and no time to spare." he said with a smile, waiting for the escort to take them to their client.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
As Adivion answers Carlo's question, there is a brief moment where Hrani's face twitches. If anyone happened to be looking his way, they would see him quickly regain control of his emotions, but for a fraction of a second there was something there. Either a smirk, or a condescending 'Hrmpf', or disbelief. Did the elf doubt Adrissant's tale of being spent? Or did he just think it was pathetic that the man wouldn't have the arcane power left to follow through with something he started? Or, going even farther, had it been a smirk? Did Hrani feel superior, convinced that he would not have run out of juice that quickly? That he would have killed this Olga-thing with a single blow had he so wanted? Of course, the 'had he so wanted' is a whole other story, and Hrani is still not sure he follows everything in its entirety, making it hard to say how he would have felt in the moment. But Adivion's defense was not about not wanting to kill Olga. It was about not being capable. And something about that answer seems to bother the magus.

The elf keeps quiet though, waiting for things to play out, and it soon becomes apparent that there will be no big spectacle. He relaxes, his hand moving farther away from Orenmir's hilt, as people start moving out of the room, towards their individual destinations. "Shall we go then, Carlo? After all, we'd already divvied up the work BEFORE we were interrupted." It isn't originally intended as a jab at Adivion's lateness and the fact that he was clearly hanging out with the opposition while they were already here planning. But it definitely comes out as one. Hrani still isn't sure what, but something about this man bugs him. Perhaps it is because Lorimor chose another spellcaster, next to himself?

"Yes, and what a spellcaster he is, by his own account. Incapable of seeing through the job he started. Not unusual for humans..." Orenmir chimes in, putting a damper on Hrani's jealousy theory. There was simply nothing there for him to be jealous of. Unless of course Adrissant was lying. Keeping his true capabilities hidden until the moment he needed them. Not to be ruled out. Never to be ruled out, the possibility of treachery. Nor has the elf ruled out that Carlo's accusations aren't part of a larger setup, giving Adivion the chance to 'establish' how 'weak' he is, so that Hrani will underestimate him. True, the Varisian doesn't seem to like the newest dog following their group around, but perhaps he is simply an exceptionally gifted actor. Hrani will have to keep an eye on him as they head to the university. Which is exactly what he does, unless Carlo is unwilling to leave yet. First stop: Find Myphar.

Last edited by Inem; Apr 4th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 12:11 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Carlo’s anger turns to embarrassment as Adivion deftly turns his words back at him. All around he sees the smirks, the judging eyes. He had been right, but nobody else seemed to think so. He desperately grasps for acceptance from the only source he thought might understand.

“Frati, you know I’m right. After that woman in the tent…You know how dangerous they can be.”

That woman? They? If Carlo’s previous statements set Mara on edge, these ones certainly were not helping the situation. Though he liked to think he was oppressed for both his condition and his Varisian heritage, that feeling did nothing to help him appreciate Mara’s intersectionality and the struggles she had faced because of it. He had that brief moment of jealous longing for the acceptance among the freaks of the Crooked Kin, but failed to realize that he could not expect the acceptance of his own oddities without going out of his way to accept the oddities of others. He did not realize that his actions and words had offended Mara so. There were several reasons for this, not least of which was the fact that he generally only thought about himself.

Compared to the challenges Mara faced with life on land, Carlo’s condition was trivial: awkwardness in social situations, repetitive movements when he became excited and a predisposition towards pattern seeking. Especially with the wealth and influence of his family and their access to magic, it had been more of a benefit than a challenge, as he was able to apply his pattern seeking tendencies towards studies of magic. Others with similar conditions did not always have it so well. The children who never spoke, fixating on the sorting of objects less useful than magical texts. The exasperated parents who smothered such children in the middle of the night: a barbaric response to something they did not understand. It was a condition that none in Golarion truly understood. Even within the Sczarni family there were many who thought his birth had been some sort of curse on their family, and that tracking him down after he ran away would be like looking for an unlucky penny. Perhaps the social awkwardness was a part of why he behaved so poorly. But his selfishness was the driving force.

The room empties. Only Pike gives him any sign of encouragement, and that is very subtle, not the vindication he had been hoping for. The others seem to look down their noses in condemnation. And then it is just Carlo and the elf. Though he’d asked for this mission before the whole debacle with Adivion, he can’t help but feel he’s being excluded from something much more important.

"Books. I like books." at least they make sense.
Closed Thread