Game Thread Chapter V: The Beast on Trial - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2015 > Carrion Crown > Confessions
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28745
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
"The prosecution feels much to safe in their case." Hrani agrees with Carlo's comment about the men losing their mind over the good professor's absence. "I'll wait to hear what the others have to say after interviewing the beast concerning its innocence, but if things really do hold up the way we expect...well then I for one am fine with the prosecution being tripped up on lots of minor things. Maybe eventually they'll have a shadow of doubt creep over them, nagging at them, bothering them. Too many small things going wrong in their open-and-close scapegoat case."

The three of them continue digging through boxes, until Andrzej comments on what sorts of things get stashed in museums. "This one has more wisdom than we have given him credit for. Now if only he could tell you how to recognize those sorts of items..." Disturbed by the path of thought Orenmir is going down, Hrani chooses to ignore his blade and instead talk to his Varisian companion. "Presumably quite a few such objects end up in museums, yes. But look around you...are things really any less buried here than in a god-king's grave? Are they not safer in a museum, dwindling away in anonymity, than they would be in the hands of individuals who might actually try them out. At least in a museum nobody should be touching them. Which greatly reduces the risk of someone accidentally realizing what they are, don't you think?" All the while, Hrani gestures around him. With all the boxes piled around them, it is hard to argue with his point that things are stashed away pretty securely simply by being lost in this mess.

"There is one thing we can definitely agree on though...". Hrani says, the elf concluding the sentence at precisely the same moment as Orenmir echoes the words in his mind. "It is a wonder humanity has come this far as a civilization." - "...this far as a civilization." Blade and magus are also in agreement about the next line to go through their minds, though this one Hrani does not speak out loud: 'Of course, "this far as a civilization" is not nearly as far as humans like to convince themselves...'

Crowl calls out triumphantly and waives them over, interrupting the group's musings. Hrani knows better than to get excited just because the professor did. The man has quite different standards when it comes to these sorts of things. And so it is with no great surprise that he finds confirmation for what he had already expected: This is a dead end. It is unclear where exactly these items came from, which makes it even more confusing what the Whispering Way could want with them. Or how they even knew what they were looking for was here.

But it matters little. Gaining information here was only a secondary objective anyway, and one Hrani had rated as likely to succeed as he would have rated the chance of finding one of those world-changing artifacts Andrzej had mentioned. Nice-to-have, but highly unlikely to find. 'Which means...back to our primary objectives.'

"Professor, do you think we could still have that look at the visitor log for the collection that you promised me? The collection really is fascinating, but it would take me a lifetime to study...well, it would take a human lifetime, not mine in particular...In any case, we don't have that much time for the moment, so it will unfortunately have to wait." Which was really just a polite way for Hrani to say they weren't interested in this stuff anymore. Fortunately, Crowl, disorganized as the man's head was, would soon forget that Hrani had talked about returning to take a look later.

If possible, the elf will look at the visitor's log, but again he doesn't expect to find anything. It keeps Crowl busy though, which is really all he is aiming for, and he tries to prolonge that for the most amount of time possible. Ideally until the man has forgotten all about his previous engagement, or at least until it is so late that the professor's absence must have caused a serious delay in the court proceedings.

Once Hrani is satisfied with that, he seeks out Myphar, checking in with the gnome. He makes appropriate introductions for Carlo and Andrzej, potentially even sending those two on a pub crawl with the flashy duelist, if it seems workable. Hrani still thinks they need to get a feel for what the general populace thinks, as well as establish a pipeline so that they can start pumping in their own stories of the beast's good deeds. Assuming the others are convinced of its innocence after their interrogation of the thing. And that is exactly why Hrani eventually decides at least he needs to return and meet back up with the others...hours have passed and the rest of the group has a significant information advantage over them. Given that it is hard to make well-informed decisions when you have less information than everyone else, the elf feels the need to rectify this issue...

OoCTried to wrap things up so we can get the gang back together (given we're down to so few players) while still maybe accomplishing some of the objectives the university group had originally set out to do (i.e. stall Crowl, meet up with Myphar and get a feel for the thoughts of the common folk on the street, and establish a second pipeline to influence said thoughts in addition to the Crooked Kin). I'll leave it up to you to decide what makes sense in terms of whether Carlo and Andrzej return with Hrani or go bar-hopping and agree to meet up with us later...
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33065
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten

Runahildr Valkadottir

"I have no desire to see a disappointed mob," Runa remarked "I can only all to vividly imagine it."

The paladin was somewhat certain that seeing a bunch of people getting riled up for all the wrong reasons would do little good for her humors and mood. Much better to get out of the city and on the road in pursuit of justice.

She looked to Pike and Mara.
"If you want to remain here for a bit, then I'll head back to the apartment and prepare in the meantime. Saddle up Rook and begin bringing our gear outside to hasten our departure."

She turned to catch the eye of Kendra, tapped herself on her chest and gave a small throw of her head to indicate that she would be leaving. Then she nodded to her companions, ignored Adivion and turned to leave the building.

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25298
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Pike sighs and steps in line after Runa "Couldn't agree more but make no mistake; should we succeed I'm guessing "disappointed" is not the word I'll use to describe the mob." Murderous is more like ithe thinks to himself as they walk out of the courtroom "Time is a limited resource at the moment so best we make the most of it, I'll head to the apartment with you." his smile holds a tinge of sadness in it as his gaze lingers on the accused construct, who would create such a magnificent creature and leave it to such sorrowful fate?
Old Jun 22nd, 2017, 06:20 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
The Face of Truth"Well, unless Pike has lost his marbles or is beaten senseless by a mob of angry plebeians, I don't think you'll be waiting too long. His mind is like a horde of angry cats, that one." Carlo continues his hunting, picking through the contents of the collection, and as Andrzej reflects on the nature of world-ending artifacts. Hrani reflects on that as well. Andrzej thinks, with a grin, but Carlo remarks, "I think it's safe to say a crypt is somewhat safer. If the Beast of Lepidstadt is proof of anything, it's that anyone can just wander in and take some unknown world-upending relic of a bygone age. In a crypt? Now that requires effort. Though, from the look of these librarians, there appear to be more crypt-guardians here than elsewhere." Andrzej snorts. Both Varisians laugh at Hrani's comment about Human civilization.

Andrzej notices the light behind Hrani's eyes as he thinks on Human civilization further, but says nothing. Everyone is allowed the voices in their head. Bored of searching, something catches the Varisian's eye and he heads to the door, moved to watch something.

But at last, it appears that there is a failure in the system: for there is nothing in the way of results. But Hrani will not give up, and neither will the Varisians. Crowl nods to the request by Hranit concerning the logs for visitation. "Certainly, sir. I'll have it delivered to you by way of messenger Gnome." Instantly everyone almost recognizes the attempt at humor as near-racism, but the Professor seems oblivious. Myphar Drago deserves better, even to Hrani. "As for us," notes the Varisian Carlo, "I think I have an idea. We keep talking about the Beast as if he's an inevitable boogeyman of the swamp. There's surely an origin to this crypto-creature. To that end, I believe frati and I will hunt for the history of the Beast. When did he first appear? Who created him? Surely the lorelogs record such a thing. Right, frati?" Andrzej says nothing at the door.

"Andrzej."

Still nothing.

"Andrzej!"

The taller Varisian turns quickly, a golden look to his eye and a smirk on his face. Carlo and Hrani can see why: a student, of the feminine variety, sitting and working at a table nearby, looking up occasionally at the door, at a distance. Blond, her skin like bronze, she is a fair thing indeed, and from those tattoos, a Kellid creature, a fellow outsider. "Când ai găsit timp să crești un al doilea cap!?" Carlo shakes his head. "Better go ahead, Hrani. We'll handle this, and meet up after your forays into the wilds." Before Hrani goes, he elects to introduce the Varisians to the Gnome Myphar, which is joyous: already Hrani and Myphar begin to see who has the largest brain and putting their meat on the slab, become fast friends. Such lesser creatures, these. After their hunt in the Library, they are to go pub-crawling, for what good that will do. While Andrzej does not approve, they are to find the Crooked Kin and see what they can find as well, as well as disseminate information.

And off the Elf goes, down the crowded streets, towards the apartment: where he sees, approaching, a trio of some familiarity.
Flight of FancyAdivion nods, pointing them towards the proper exit. "Make haste; I hear the judges here are rough beasts when it comes to procedure, and if you're still here, gods only knows what they'll do." Mara nods. "I have little desire to see such a show myself. A mob after a bad performance is one thing; this is a performance where they expect nothing short of a blood bath. Let's make for the apartment and see if we can't find Samovar, and hopefully, some decent items." And so, off they go.

Down the stairs and out the building, the crowd in the central square is considerably smaller, because so many are attempting to pack into the side stairs that lead into the courtroom proper. The crowd is still palpable, the vendors plenty, and the Crooked Kin visible in their showing of the tales of this or that or even of the Beast itself, not being the true creature: Sully has more dignity than they allow for, though they are not themselves displaying him without dignity, merely giving him a thespian's spin.

Soon, down the cobbled street towards the apartment, they meet back up with Hrani, who has plenty of information for them.
Once more reunited, there is plenty to catch one another on, and Hrani has information aplenty; but then, the others have information of their own, perhaps a little less disappointing. But how the Elf will treat it is a different matter entirely.

At the gates of the apartment, they can tell that there's been some movement in and out since their arrival, as plenty of deliveries have yet to be taken upstairs. Samovar has been shopping, and the crates have not been moved upstairs. Instead, a window is open, and out of it pours smoke. A gruff hum-song can be heard coming from within.

What has Samovar gotten himself into? And what will they be planning?

Old Jun 26th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Even having been expecting it at this point, there is still a sense of disappointment that sets in at the finality of giving up the search of the university. The promise of the visitor log is a last sliver of hope, but it is a faint one. More for the sake of completeness than out of an actual belief.

"A very sound plan, Carlo. I approve." Hrani nods in agreement with the Varisian's suggestion, even if Andrzej's attention already seems to be elsewhere. Introductions are made to Myphar, new drinking companion to the two men, glorified messenger to the professor, and to Hrani? It is hard to say, but there is certainly respect there for the gnome's intelligence. There is a reason the magus thought of Myphar as potentially useful in helping the group reach their goals.
Whether or not it will be enough to compensate whatever disorder Carlo and Andrzej will cause if they don't stay on task...well, only time will tell.

Originally, Hrani heads back in the direction of the courthouse. They had planned to interview the beast once all of the returned. But the elf reconsiders when he realizes how long they have in fact been busy stalling the professor. Surely, by this point, the others must be through with all their research and interrogations, including that of the beast. So Hrani changes his course and heads in the direction of the apartment instead. If the others aren't there...well nothing is stopping him from going to the courthouse then.

His thoughts turn out to be right, however, and his timing is excellent, as he arrives just in time with the others. "Ah, good, I was hoping you people would be back here. I am afraid the university side of things is about as big of a dead end as we were afraid it would be. We didn't learn anything relevant to the case. But we did very well on our secondary objective, and the two Varisians are taking care of the third thing we wanted done." The likelihood of the opposition listening in on their conversations if they have them here in the middle of the street is close to zero, given that they are so confident in their case that whatever the defendants are up to is of little interest to them. But Hrani, paranoid elf that he is, cares little for odds and probabilities, and elects to not give out unnecessary details while the group is out in the open.

"I hope you were more successful? Perhaps you can tell me what you have learned once we have carried all of these things Samovar has acquired inside. Or are we loading them straight onto the wagon?" The implicit question, of course, being whether they are departing this evening for a new destination or not...
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Confused and confounded

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33065
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten

Runahildr Valkadottir

"I don't know what's in the crates," Runa replied with a dismissive shrug before nodding at the open window above. "We'll have to ask Samovar."

She moved into the small courtyard and headed towards her horse. Picking a brush from the wall she began grooming the creature in preparation for the journey ahead.

"As we surmised, Sully has little to do the crimes they intend to pin on him," Runa almost spat the word 'they'. Clearly, she was a bit agitated by the fact that justice was little more
than a tool to be applied wherever the locals thought it fitting. Justice was not a tool.
It was a quality and an ideology to uphold and strive towards.

The paladin wielded the brush like a weapon and went to work on her horse, brushing away dirt and loose hair to prevent the saddle from chafing. The repetative motion calmed her somewhat and she allowed a sigh to escape from her lips as her anger subsided. Replacing the brush she continued to heft the saddle and walked around Rook, so she stood on the left-hand side of the horse before she placed the saddle and pad on the horse's back with the pommel of the saddle just in front of the horse's withers.

"Most of the witnesses saw something that was bipedal and monstrous and so of course it has to be the Dipplemere Horror, because it couldn't be anything else." She slid the saddle back until it settled into place with the arch of the pommel resting directly over the highest point of the horse's withers, before moving on to attach the girth to the girth straps on the off side. "And, according to the witnesses, he was anywhere between seven and eleven feet, and either sleek-skinned and hairless or pale-skinned with stiches and black hair. And his eyes change color too."

Runa grunted and pulled on the strap to secure the girth. In her agitated state she pulled a bit harder than she meant to and the horse gave a soft whiney as a result.
"Sorry, Rook. I shouldn't take out my frustration on you. That was poorly done by me." She loosened the girth a tad, before fastening it again. Then she dropped the stirrups, allowing her to mount at her leisure.

"In any case, we should be off. The sooner we disprove these witnesses tales with actual evidence, the better. Sully should never have been created. I can agree with Inquisitor Veridan about that. But he was. And now he is sentient and filled with remorse and self-loathing because everyone keeps telling him he's a monster. And to top that off now justice is being perverted in an attempt to pin crimes on him just because he is the most convenient scapegoat there is."

The paladin spat to clear her mouth of a foul taste and began to lead Rook out of the stable.
"Ready when you are."

Old Jul 1st, 2017, 07:43 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
right-aligned image
Pike nods to wanting to look over the crates, and goes up to get the warrior above. Mara begins poking around, and finds everything to her liking. It's as if Samovar hit everything on their list. Mara finds a small hat, blue in hue and seemingly simple in its appearance. Putting it on her head and tying it down, it seems to come to life, though it is a subtle change; perhaps Runahildr and Hrani did not see it in the right light? More items reveal themselves, namely the wand that Carlo asked for, the gloves that Andrzej seemed to want, and that seems to be all beyond basic necessities one might expect to find in a copy of the Pathfinder Chronicles or in a penny dreadful.

Samovar comes back down, smoking a handy cigar. Pike, too, now smokes the same kind, causing Mara to cough as she backs away. "Sold 'bout everything we've got so far. Got two thousand coins from the whole of it, all of it gold. We're pretty much ready to buy a few Kellid tribes with that kind of money." Mara, fanning in front of her face, keeps her smile. "If they smell like this, I'm not sure we'd want to." Samovar doesn't say anything, instead taking a drag and another drag. "Want me to come?" He offers, but Mara shakes her head. "No, no, I think we'll... we'll manage. No, I think, for their sake, you need to defend Jamir and Kendra. If not from Adivion Adrissant, then from the angry mob. They won't be happy." She quickly explains the delay tactic and Samovar shakes his head.

"If we were back home, the Beast'd be dead by now."

Mara smiles. "Thankfully we are not."

The Kellid sighs. "Gonna go get my stuff. Use the time well." He turns and goes back up the stairs.

The horses gathered, the carriage drawn, Mara takes her place. But who will drive them? Now, they are Hrani, Pike, Mara, and Runahildr. Without Samovar, they have no proper driver, but Kendra does not protecting. Pike offers, and so they take him up on it. It is a rocky start, and they head towards the main square shakily.

The main square of Lepidstadt is alive with anger, with people absolutely flabbergasted at the results, which means that it's become common knowledge that the strategy of the defense is to not just delay, but obstruct legally, and the people of Lepidstadt are not happy. Heading this way was a mistake; however will they negotiate a way through?

Fortunately for them, a certain creature manifests: the Wolf Child appears, looking up at Mara through the window of the carriage. She smiles back, and it howls, which summons the Bearded Lady of the Crooked Kin.

"Hell of a business, isn't it?"

Old Jul 6th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
"Alright then, off we go." Hrani says, after the others let him know it would be best to get moving as soon as possible. What they tell him mostly confirms the suspicions the group had already had. The beast is most likely innocent, of most if not all of the crimes it is accused of. The biggest issue that the group can come up with in respect to it is the fact that it was brought into creation. "A true work of art, surely. I wonder how its creator managed it...and whether it is expensive. Why would the creator have stopped after one such creature if he could have made several instead. A whole army's worth...?"

A disturbing thought that makes even the ice cold elf shudder. He can only hope that Orenmir's hunch is as far off as can be and that the beast really is unique. The group goes about loading their carriage as the magus still ponders the creation of such a golem - perhaps he should have stayed with Carlo and researched the matter more thoroughly instead of going with the others...? - and then, once a driver has been named, the group sets out once more, to leave Lepidstadt.

Unfortunately, they do not get very far before they encounter a minor road block. Hrani, sitting besides Pike because he refuses to be confined to the carriage if not absolutely necessary - too many options to be ambushed -
Dice Perception:
1d20+5 (8)+5 Total = 13
takes a close look around for anything that might help them get out of this situation. His first instinct is to start throwing magic around, starting by aiming up at the sky, but getting more aggressive if the need arises. However, he feels like some of his companions might take affront to his direct problem-(dis)solving methods. So instead he waits to see what they will do and uses the time to
Dice Intelligence Check to find the quickest route:
1d20+3 (16)+3 Total = 19
Dice Using 'Tireless Logic' Trait to roll a 2nd time, use better result:
1d20+3 (12)+3 Total = 15
scan the crowd for an optimal passage to direct Pike through. Sitting next to the dwarf, he is in the best position to navigate after all.

"It's certainly a big mess." Hrani agrees with the Bearded Lady. "How is the show going for you guys? Are the crowds eager for your stories? They definitely seem to be...hungry."

OoCI've got some ideas what Hrani could do to disperse the crowd, but since they're all sort of aggressive, I figured I'd hold back until at least one person has tried something more peaceful...

Last edited by Inem; Jul 6th, 2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45867
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
With a relaxed smile that belies the tense anger percolating through the crowd, Mara leans her head out of the carriage window and nods in agreement. “Indeed it is,” she acknowledges the Bearded Lady in a calmly smooth voice that seems less concerned than annoyed by the throng surrounding them. Or perhaps her annoyance stems from Pike's rocky driving—based on his short stint behind the reins thus far, she is hard pressed to decide which of the Kellid and the dwarf is worse.

Nonetheless, the bumpy ride is still too short to dampen her spirits much. Certainly having the entire carriage to herself has buoyed her mood. Subconsciously the songstress gives Hrani another warm, thankful smile, deeply grateful for the elf's sense of decorum in affording her this privacy. If only the chain smoking members of their party would have even half of his social skills!

Of course, the primary reason for her relatively relaxed demeanor is the pretty pink flower adorning her long tresses, a pale delicate orchid that used to be a small blue hat. Most of her time in the carriage has been spent exploring the powers of this truly wondrous item—with the aid of a hand mirror, acquired together with the hat, that is rather larger than the small compact of her grooming kit, Mara has attempted a number of different outfits and hairstyles and ... other modifications. The verisimilitude of the disguises is uncanny. For the first time since transitioning to a life on land, the soprano feels truly at ease, knowing that her magical chapeau will ensure that her secret remains safe.

“Hesse certainly knows how to tell a tale,” she admits, building off Hrani's reply to the Bearded Lady, “but—and this is simply an observation—there seems to be a certain sameness in the telling, don't you think? Perhaps I am mistaken—you have certainly been exposed to more of his repertoire than I—but all I've heard are stories of a big, scary monster, meant to shock and frighten and rile up the crowd.” The singer demurs, gently shaking her head. “Of course, he does it well—of that there is no doubt—but still, one risks losing one's audience with such limited fare. And even if the masses clamor for the same flavor over and over again, like a child insisting upon the same bedtime story, is it not our professional duty as performers to give them more? To expose them to a breadth of what is possible; to broaden their palate; to uplift and inspire?” Her eyes shine with a zeal that reflects a loftier goal for her art.

“Are there not other tales, of how the ...” Mara pauses, catching herself before saying the B-word, “... the prisoner ... Sulliviani, I believe he is called by some ...” she glances up at the mounted paladin with a knowing smile, “has helped the general populace? Of how he has bravely rescued lost children? Surely you have heard of some of these other tales? Surely they are worth telling?”

“We ourselves seek new tales to tell, and will gladly share our discoveries with you and your kin. But first,” she glances disapprovingly at the crowd, “we must make our way out of the city. Perhaps you could aid us in this endeavor? Could you divert some of the people away with your performances, to create a path for us? You could attract their attention with the promise of a brand new tale, of a noble but misunderstood soul who protects a lost child from harm, comforts him with poetry, and returns him to his family.” The singer looks meaningfully at the Wolf Child. “After all, there is a longstanding precedent—and demand—for such stories of children being cared for by so-called 'beasts'.”

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
Pike never took his eyes off the crowd gathered before them, still he listens as Mara uses her charms on the two members of the Crooked Kin Now there's a dame that can talk a fish out of the water he thinks to himself with a sly grin behind the fuming cigar in his mouth, but his attention is on the crowd - on the structure of the gathered mob, it's ebb and flow and possible openings where he can safely guide the wagon through.
It's easy to read a person when you know what to look for, a crowd is harder to understand but the motions of people and their composition give insight into how they will react at various points, the structure and the weak points if you will. This he studies for a while, getting ready to move the wagon through the crowd should the opportunity rise "Runa when I start moving this thing stay as close as possible so we don't get separated. I got a bad vibe from this crowd, one wrong move and we could end up surrounded by people we don't want to draw weapons on." he looks at the paladin and then back to Hrani at his side "Need the both of you two be on the lookout for potential troublemakers, they are usually the cowards goading others into action. A good, solid stare indicating we have them in our sights usually makes them slip back into the shadows." he puffs one last time on his cigar before spitting it on the ground.

"Right, let's see what the good folk of the Kin will do for us, then we're moving."

Old Jul 18th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Pike takes a lay of the land after their departure, looking over the crowd. Numbering in the hundreds, at least, they are incensed. Angry, to say the least, flabbergasted, and dumbfounded. Why is this happening? Who did this? Rumors are abound on that one, but no one seems to suspect the carriage, which moves along at a snail's pace. Travelers and businesses, all life must go on beyond the disappointment. Closer to the Courthouse, the guards look to be dealing with the angrier of the bunch, but no one looks or casts fingers just yet. No one has put together this bunch that left the Courthouse were responsible yet. But Pike knows it's only a matter of time.

The bearded woman smiles at the Elf, shaking her head a bit. “Hungry in the wrong kind of way. Normally we’re keen on playing against their expectations, but this is so cut and dry…” And then enter Mara, with a retort to such a comment, to dig deeper and find such tellings as might portray a different kind of Beast. She is careful, recasting the Beast, telling the tale that has gone untold at Hergstag, and the bearded woman considers. “There are… rumors, of course, but we hadn’t put much stock in them. Maybe they’re worth looking into. Maybe we’ll get better fare that way, or at least, more interactions. And if you find anything, you know we’re more than willing to tell them, as long as we get first rights.” The bearded woman can’t help but smile. “Alright, sister, you’ve got yourself a deal.” She hands Mara her gigantic hand, larger in every way than Mara’s own dainty minnow of a hand.

While Hrani looks for a best route, Mara has another plan. The bearded woman of the Crooked Kin grins, glad to have made such a deal, and now prepared to serve her end of it in order to get more later, holds up a finger to Mara’s plotting. “I have just the thing.”

She turns and makes a clear path for herself, not a hard thing to do, and heading back to the group of Kin, slowly moves between each of them, performing in their way, and discusses with them something which seems to ensense them. Trollblood of them seems the most keen on it, the group from Ravengro seeing the casting of Sullivani among the Kin quite easily. As the crowd continues to churn angrily, the Crooked Kin stop their showings, save for the fire-blowing and fortune telling from the Human Worm and the Vudrani Princess, and a curtain is drawn. This draws curiosity but also loses a few souls, before Hesse reappears, a crimson-pink wooden bullhorn in his hands. “LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MORTALS OF ALL STRIDES AND BREEDS, LET ME SPIN YOU A TALE THE LIKES OF WHICH NONE OTHER CAN! FOR WE, THE CROOKED KIN, A COLLECTION OF MISFITS, HAS BEEN PRIVY TO INFORMATION THAT WILL DELIGHT, DAZZLE, AND DEFUMBLE YOU! For we have learned of the true name of the Beast of Lepidstadt, and have found a story which you would all like to hear: how the horrible Beast, child-killer, man-eater, and grave-robber, among his many infernal mechanisms, is none of these things! He has a name, a heart, a mind, and a soul, like you or I, and is merely a twisted, patchwork of a man! Forsooth! Let me tell you the tale of the Dipplemere Horror, the Beast of Lepidstadt: SULLIVANI OF VIELAND!”

Almost instantly, a path is cleared by the sudden, and perhaps angry and curious, crowd.

Better to take advantage of it while they can, the Wolf Boy howling.

Pike rides onward, up to the northernmost road, and following directions etched into his brilliant mind, takes them onward to Northgate.

Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 05:23 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
A Bump in the Road
left-aligned image
The Beast and it's accompanying trial was all the talk on the road this morning. It had become something of a headache for the gnome, all this back and forth and heated discussion. On the one hand, he was proud of Lepidstadt and its willingness to advance with reason. Most places he'd been would have simply burned the creature and called it good. On the other, the whole thing had suddenly become so much work. In the name of justice, of course. He had to remind himself of that as he awaited their arrival. And so it was that he found himself doing the opposite of the sensible thing, putting himself in the path of the advancing carriage where most would shy away. The bridge, bound by the river, aids his efforts.

"A moment of your time, if you'd allow." His steps are accompanied by the rustling of paper, and it is easy to find the source. Parchment pokes out of his pack and is rolled tight and tucked into his belt. The tubes that are looped there likely contain the same. "Call it a professional courtesy." He holds his arms out at his sides, as if trying to give himself greater width. Or perhaps it is just a show of peaceful intention. Empty hands, open heart or some such. "I am Phidolis Angestril, freelance investigator and frequent resident of Lepidstadt." His left hand twitches, two fingers extended while the others fold up against the palm. A pointed motion toward the side of the road and the dwarf there. "My associate Signy." He steps closer to the carriage, his personal distaste for equine quadrupeds turning his lips down in a slight frown. He always feels like the aim of a horse is to crush him. A baseless suspicion thus far.

"We have an interest in maintaining justice in the coming trial as I believe you do. We are quite likely to be moving among the same places and asking the same questions." A pause for any dissent.

"It seems reasonable that we might entertain doing those things together. I am familiar with Lepidstadt and its surrounding environs. That familiarity is on offer to you." Another step forward, as yelling at a carriage driver from a half dozen paces doesn't seem like the best form of conversation. A glance in Signy's direction, then, before he continues. "I am familiar with you, detective, by reputation. You may research my own if you wish, though I don't suppose time is on either of our sides." He tucks a hand into his embroidered tunic and retrieves a small cigarette case, roating it slowly between his hands as if he is struggling to commit to the smoke. "Perhaps we can pause for introductions all around?"

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Jul 23rd, 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 11:54 PM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45867
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Whatever pleasure Mara took, from her handiwork in escaping the crowd, suddenly evaporates as the carriage rumbles to an unexpected stop. Her hand flies out instinctively, bracing against the wall as she nearly tumbles out of her seat. She leans her head out of the window, about to admonish Pike for his even worse-than-usual driving, when the gnome-like obstruction in the road redirects her ire.

The soprano's anger turns to a mixture of confused hope and wondering suspicion. Was this Phidolis really offering to help their investigation, to help defend the Beast? Just like that, out of the blue? It reminds her of how a cocky young singer might barge unannounced, and uninvited, into a rehearsal, expecting to be lauded as if she were Shelyn's daughter, entitled to nothing less than the lead role, without any references or recommendations of any kind. The gnome's offer smacks of something similar, only worse—at least the starlet would showcase her voice, so that a decision could be made based on talent.

Still, the defense could use all the help it could get. Unfortunately, Angestril commits an even greater mistake. Mara's eyes narrow at the sight of the cigarette case.

“For someone who has nearly caused an accident, you would do well to speak plainly. As a professional courtesy.” she adds, throwing the gnome's words back at him in a voice of honeyed steel. “What exactly is your business with the trial? Did Barrister Kaple send you?” Her mind flits back to the Varisians' encounter with the Whispering Way, and how the cultist seemed to know their plans even before they were made. She swallows uneasily, her gaze flitting to Signy before returning to the gnome. “How do you know of our plans? Which places would you visit, and what questions would you ask?”
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18571
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
right-aligned image
She hadn’t even planned on staying in Lepidstadt for long and most certainly not to deal with this so called Beast. But, once asked, Signy found she could hardly say no. Those that had died deserved to have the true story told of what had happened and their spirits would certainly rest easier once justice had been done. Not to mention that a city that went out of its way not to let a lynch mob decide the punishment for a crime needed support.

And so the paladin found herself on a bridge looking in surprise at her gnomish friend, as he stepped into the way of the carriage. Thankfully the vehicle stopped quickly, for her move to stop him would surely have been too late. An object at rest - and her heavily armored frame, leaning against the bridge’s bannister, was surely that - tended to stay that way. Or so she had been told by some scholar once. The rigid lines of the armor spoke as clearly of dwarven craftsmanship as an elegantly carved bow might speak of elven hands at work. The same held true for the hammer at her belt and the octagonal shield that hung off a strap slung over her shoulder. A see image on the leftwinged hammer could be seen embossed on the shield.
left-aligned image

"That was quite foolhardy of you," she admonished Phidolis as she stepped up beside him, worry for the gnome sounding through the words. They made quite the pair: him slender and wrapped in cloth where she was broad of hip and shoulder, clad in steel; him short for a gnome, her tall for a dwarf. And then there was her hair that gleamed like burnished copper in the noonday sun. It was only a small part of why she usually preferred to meet new people outside of the direct sunlight. Looking up at the carriage she hoped that they would be preoccupied enough with the unexpected request to not notice her shadow’s oddity.

Signy nodded in greeting to the woman who had struck her head out of the carriage. "Signy Flameseeker, Paladin of Magrim," she continued the introduction that Phidolis had started. It was hard to discern whether having been sent by the barrister would be a good or a bad thing, so she simply stated in a neutral tone: "Barrister Kaple did not send. And I was not under the impression that your plans were especially secret. Maybe not loudly propagated - and wisely so, I believe - but that is hardly the same."

Old Jul 24th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image

Pike pulls on the reins to stop the carriage as the gnome steps into their path "Woah there..." he says, to both gnome and horse. Then the gnome speaks, introduces himself and offers to team up.
As predicted Mara is quick to stick her head out the window to say her bit, then the dwarf appears - drawing a raised eyebrow from Pike as he fishes for a thick cigar from within his vest which he lights in one swift motion, puffing blue smoke to blow out the match used for lighting it.
For a moment he sits with a ghost of a smile on his face as the duo introduce themselves, he even catches the look on Mara's face as she notices the cigarette case, holding in a chuckle but grinning even wider.

"Mister Phidolis, I have heard your name dropped once or twice before and Lady Signy, the pleasure is surely mine." he nods towards them with a wide smile made manic with the cigar clenched between his teeth "I'm afraid we are running short on time, we have places to be and all that as you surely know so let's make this quick." he winks at the pair "Since your interests coincides with our own and you will be going the same places I see no harm in you tagging along. However, that decision is not mine alone to make." he nods his head towards Hrani and Runa "Master Hrani and Sis...erhmm, Runa as well as Miss Mara in the back will have to give their approval before we take you on."

He hesitates for a moment, then offers his opinion to his companions, speaking plainly for all to hear "We could use the help and they seem to be telling the truth. But what I'm more concerned about is them running around and possibly altering evidence through their investigation."
Closed Thread