User Statistics
RPXP: 2024
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
5e Homebrew Race

Is this race balanced?
Would you play it?

Kisel
right-aligned image
The Kisel are a folk whose appearance, brutish and ponderous and huge of girth belies wisdom and magic that runs deep in their souls.The Kisel have so long dwelled in the lonely places of the earth that their wild arts and magics have become a part of their very souls. All Hurron can speak the language of birds, it is known to them the secrets of power of trees, rocks and air and no Kisel is without friends while feral things lurk nearby.

Kisel stand when full grown as tall as a young tree, their bodies are hairy, thick and knotted by muscles, their faces are heavy and frowning, but though they are a fearsome looking folk, the Kisel are ponderous, passive and shy. They make poor warriors and during the great wars and the Sundering most Kisel chose not to fight but to retreat deep into their woods and there to hide and wait in enclaves. But though they hid themselves well the shadows found the cities of the Kisel in time.

The forest of the Mystenwode is now a spirit haunted and dangerous place and the Kisel enclaves that still stand are beset nightly by monstrous things. The magic of the Kisel may be powerful, when fired to war their arms may be strong, but the shadows grow every day in strength and the councils of the wise grow every day more desperate.

KISEL TRAITS
Your kisel character has the following racial traits.
Favored Class: Druid
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1, and your Strength score increases by 2.
Age. As humanoids related to the fey, kisel have long lifespans. A kisel reaches adulthood around 50, and the oldest of them can live for 500 years.
Alignment. As people who follow the rhythm of nature and see themselves as its caretakers, kisel are typically neutral good. Evil kisel are rare and are usually the sworn enemies of the rest of their kind.
Size. Kisels are between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 240 and 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Kisel's base walking speed is 30 feet.
Kisel Magic Kisel can cast druidcraft and mold stone self with this trait, using Wisdom as their spell casting ability for them.
Powerful Build. Kisel count as one size larger when determining their carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Speech of Birds. Kisel have the ability to cast speak with animals at will. It only affects birds.
Pacifists: When Kisel make an attack it is at disadvantage unless she or one of her companions has taken damage from an enemy.
Senses: Kisel have Blindsight 30' and have advantage on Perception Checks relying on Hearing or Smell.
Languages. Kisel can speak, read, and write Common, Giant and Sylvan.

Last edited by Shula; Apr 12th, 2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32094
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
This strikes me as being almost identical to the On second read, I guess there's a reason for that - you've got a copy-paste "Firbolg" still in one of the ability descriptionsFirbolg. So yes, I suppose it's mostly balanced. Is this a port from a different edition? In 5e there's no such thing as a favored class, nor (with respect to the Pacifist ability) is there a "bloodied" condition. That Pacifist ability is really a pure mechanical negative, and I don't think any other race in 5e has such a penalty built in. It's something 5e tried to avoid in their design choices.

The only thing that sets off some warnings for me is Blindsight. That's a pretty powerful ability, and I don't think any other races get it. You can Google "D&D 5e Devil Sight Cheese" to see how this could be exploited pretty easily.

Whether I'd play it... well, no probably not. It's not really my style; that's no judgement on anything but me, though.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 12:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
For my campaign I am limiting muti-classing to the races favored class and one other.

By bloodied I mean has taken a wound, even if it's just 1 point.

And yes, the Firbolg was the base.... other creatures I'm thinking of will be more original.

I'll check out D&D 5e Devil Sight Cheese
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 05:09 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7513
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I can't remember if 'bloodied' has a specific meaning in 5e, but some might remember it from 4e, so I'd suggest changing it.
"...has taken damage" or "...has been attacked"

I know you are asking mostly about mechanics, but is there a reason the race has blindsight?
Blindsense? (that is still powerful)

-me
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_wolven View Post
I can't remember if 'bloodied' has a specific meaning in 5e, but some might remember it from 4e, so I'd suggest changing it.
"...has taken damage" or "...has been attacked"

I know you are asking mostly about mechanics, but is there a reason the race has blindsight?
Blindsense? (that is still powerful)

-me
"...has taken damage" was added into description of traits.

Originally I had the Kissel as having disadvantage on attacks, period, so blindsense was to offset that. Maybe I'll go back to the attack disadvantage being permanent or do you think maybe Darvision 60 or 120 instead of Blindsense? I am really looking for a vision that improves his ability to see in the dark, maybe Devil's Sight instead of Blindsense.

Last edited by Shula; Apr 12th, 2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32094
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Darkvision is definitely totally standard in non-human races, so that's a much more balanced choice. I guess I'd encourage 60 feet, just because that's what all the other races get.

The Pacifist feature just wouldn't fly in a published class. It's not entirely clear what you mean by "an enemy". Do you mean any damage by any enemy in a combat? Do you mean for each member of the opposing side, the character can only attack that creature without disadvantage after that particular creature has dealt damage? When does this ability reset? After rolling initiative? After a short rest?

Something in a similar spirit, but more in line with D&D race mechanics might go something like "When an enemy creature does damage to an ally, you may use your next attack action to attack that creature with advantage. You may not use this ability again until you take a short rest." That's not quite the same flavor, but it has the spirit of getting particularly upset when an enemy uses violence against someone you like. It's more consistent with standard mechanics, in that it's a bonus rather than a penalty. And it is clear and limited in scope, in that you can only use it once per short rest. That's pretty standard in higher-powered race abilities.