Other [Champions 6e] 9 11 Teen Supers - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 6 6 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1878
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
2019-8-11 GMs Computers are in the shop!

Sorry for the hold up! My computer and laptop are in the shop and I am limited posting by phone. I expect to get my computers back upgraded this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Sure.

Now, this actually has to be approved. If it is not, I will have to lower power levels to account for the points this character will need.
Approved! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
The OP says that the first supers were only seen recently. Does this mean that nobody had powers until then? Or just that the public didn't know about the supers in their midst?
As far as anybody knows or can prove, supers are only a recent thing dating back to the first generation conceived after 9-11 hitting puberty. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I'm taking it to be the latter. I figure my character was born within a year of the WTC disappearance but her wings began growing around age 12. Recruited and trained when she was young.
Good on you!

QUESTION TO PROSPECTIVE PLAYERS: I'm leaning towards using the Optional HIT LOCATION rules for this game. This rule is usually for non-super hero games, and using it would increase the chance of unintentionally killing someone (which would have serious and lasting consequences in this game) and also increase the danger to a super hero from, for example, a nonpowered sniper making a headshot on a super. But the main reason I am leaning towards using it is for ease of crossover to the fantasy hero side if things drive that way. Specifically if your super heroes encounter things from the other dimension or actually go there at some point. The sniper thing is just a bonus.

So the question is, how do you all feel about me introducing a more gritty realistic element to combat while still holding your character to a heroic standard?

Last edited by HeroFan; 08-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1241
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
That would just serve to reinforce my already-existing plan to have Keiko constantly invisible and using an illusion of herself to interact with the world.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 332
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
QUESTION TO PROSPECTIVE PLAYERS: I'm leaning towards using the Optional HIT LOCATION rules for this game. This rule is usually for non-super hero games, and using it would increase the chance of unintentionally killing someone (which would have serious and lasting consequences in this game) and also increase the danger to a super hero from, for example, a nonpowered sniper making a headshot on a super. But the main reason I am leaning towards using it is for ease of crossover to the fantasy hero side if things drive that way. Specifically if your super heroes encounter things from the other dimension or actually go there at some point. The sniper thing is just a bonus.

So the question is, how do you all feel about me introducing a more gritty realistic element to combat while still holding your character to a heroic standard?
I am ok with it. I don't think the Hit Location mechanic is that much harder than the normal To Hit mechanic in any way. It's only an extra roll and an extra table look-up. But the Head and Vitals shots will stand the risk of doing a lot of damage. If you are going to introduce that, I'd like to review the chance of adding some PSLs for Hit Location table. If you are going go snipe at us, I'd sure like the chance to snipe back at the enemies. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 08-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, GM, what tone is this game? You say "teen power level", but you just introduced "Dark Champions" possibilities like lethal shots from snipers. Is there going to be a lot of death in this game?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 508
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
As far as anybody knows or can prove, supers are only a recent thing dating back to the first generation conceived after 9-11 hitting puberty. :-)
So some supers might have gained their powers earlier than Justin Murell?
Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:

I'm personally against this rule. My character is an activist, who has the power to enact real societal change. People like her have a tendency to...disappear. That's the main reason why I made her so tanky. If a single government sniper can kill her in one shot, then they will.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 68
Komaru
Regarding Hit Locations:
This seems to be all downside for the supers, so that's a thumbs up! [More danger is just more angst and drama, right? Or are you talking real consequences as in having to make up a new character?]

Would you also use critical hits (automatic max damage)? Combining a crit with a head or vitals shot is where you really get the chance to one-shot kill someone. It may be the only way for a non-super to one-shot kill another normal in one-shot.

Question though: how does hit location work with a damage shield? If Dynamo's lightning damage shield would only affect people's hands (when/if they grab her, punch her, or hit her with a metal melee weapon) with the corresponding reduction in lethality, then I'll need to rethink that power.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komaru View Post
Regarding Hit Locations:
This seems to be all downside for the supers, so that's a thumbs up! [More danger is just more angst and drama, right? Or are you talking real consequences as in having to make up a new character?]

Would you also use critical hits (automatic max damage)? Combining a crit with a head or vitals shot is where you really get the chance to one-shot kill someone. It may be the only way for a non-super to one-shot kill another normal in one-shot.

Question though: how does hit location work with a damage shield? If Dynamo's lightning damage shield would only affect people's hands (when/if they grab her, punch her, or hit her with a metal melee weapon) with the corresponding reduction in lethality, then I'll need to rethink that power.
Yeah, hm...now I am leaning against it. With all the extra possibilities and bookkeeping with powers, I really shouldn't add in more rolls to combat. Plus MrKinister has wisely mentioned a few times now that I really need to define the tone of the game I am going for better. Dark Champions isn't it.

Quote:
I'm personally against this rule. My character is an activist, who has the power to enact real societal change. People like her have a tendency to...disappear. That's the main reason why I made her so tanky. If a single government sniper can kill her in one shot, then they will.
I am inclined to agree with you that introducing headshots from snipers is veering away from the tone that I want in the game, however, I am sorry to say that if I understand your concept correctly that being a character devoted to overthrowing the government is also not what I want to spend all my bandwidth as GM preparing for. When I mentioned that I wasn't having characters inventing cold fusion or curing cancer, I more generally meant that I wasn't going to spend the campaign energy running how the world deals with momentous political change on that scale either. It comes down to, I have an hour or two to prepare: I can either work up a bank robbery or some villains or figure out what the government is doing about the anarchist movement one of the PC's is running. I would have to spend all my time on a political campaign, and that's not the game I am running.

I am sorry that my being unavailable meant that I am only just now mentioning that. I love the character build as far as the wings and powers; I would need a different motivation or goal for her.

Quote:
So some supers might have gained their powers earlier than Justin Murell?
Possibly, though not much earlier, like a matter of months, and then not having publically shown it.

Quote:
By the way, GM, what tone is this game? You say "teen power level", but you just introduced "Dark Champions" possibilities like lethal shots from snipers. Is there going to be a lot of death in this game?
That is totally the right question, thank you. I want to do near four-color, so no, not a lot of death, and actually it might be helpful and clarifying if I said everyone had to have a Code Against Killing...so, yeah, good point and I will drop the Hit Locations option. In my game, the government is not going to be the bad guys. They might be an annoying bureaucracy, but they won't be an evil conspiracy. Mostly cause that's way too much work!

Quote:
I am ok with it. I don't think the Hit Location mechanic is that much harder than the normal To Hit mechanic in any way. It's only an extra roll and an extra table look-up. But the Head and Vitals shots will stand the risk of doing a lot of damage. If you are going to introduce that, I'd like to review the chance of adding some PSLs for Hit Location table. If you are going go snipe at us, I'd sure like the chance to snipe back at the enemies. =)

Yeah, that's the best reason for me not to use it. Thanks for the clarifying questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
That would just serve to reinforce my already-existing plan to have Keiko constantly invisible and using an illusion of herself to interact with the world.
No worries. I am not going to use it.

Last edited by HeroFan; 08-12-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I am inclined to agree with you that introducing headshots from snipers is veering away from the tone that I want in the game, however, I am sorry to say that if I understand your concept correctly that being a character devoted to overthrowing the government is also not what I want to spend all my bandwidth as GM preparing for. When I mentioned that I wasn't having characters inventing cold fusion or curing cancer, I more generally meant that I wasn't going to spend the campaign energy running how the world deals with momentous political change on that scale either. It comes down to, I have an hour or two to prepare: I can either work up a bank robbery or some villains or figure out what the government is doing about the anarchist movement one of the PC's is running. I would have to spend all my time on a political campaign, and that's not the game I am running.

I am sorry that my being unavailable meant that I am only just now mentioning that. I love the character build as far as the wings and powers; I would need a different motivation or goal for her.
Fair enough. A full scale revolution would indeed be quite the hassle for you. Still, I'm very attached to the concept of an anarchist hero. How about this: What if her movement is still in its earliest stage? So instead of leading a revolt, she's making videos on YouTube. Her activism would be focused on laying the groundwork: Community outreach, soup kitchens, etc. She'd still have the same basic ideals. But she (and the government) has yet to realise how persuasive she's become. She's still thinking along the lines of 'wow, I'm a celebrity now! I can help feed local communities, and raise public awareness!'.

Would that work for you?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Fair enough. A full scale revolution would indeed be quite the hassle for you. Still, I'm very attached to the concept of an anarchist hero. How about this: What if her movement is still in its earliest stage? So instead of leading a revolt, she's making videos on YouTube. Her activism would be focused on laying the groundwork: Community outreach, soup kitchens, etc. She'd still have the same basic ideals. But she (and the government) has yet to realise how persuasive she's become. She's still thinking along the lines of 'wow, I'm a celebrity now! I can help feed local communities, and raise public awareness!'.

Would that work for you?
I like the positivity! The concept of directly influencing the actions of thousands or millions (?) of people will have to be limited both to keep from taking over all the GM and thus game development time, and also to reflect the difference between a successful Presence attack versus actually paying points for all those minions! There’s a much better chance of your character getting millions of views and even likes on a YouTube video than the viewers actually following through to act on the call to action in the video.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:47 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I like the positivity! The concept of directly influencing the actions of thousands or millions (?) of people will have to be limited both to keep from taking over all the GM and thus game development time, and also to reflect the difference between a successful Presence attack versus actually paying points for all those minions! There’s a much better chance of your character getting millions of views and even likes on a YouTube video than the viewers actually following through to act on the call to action in the video.
Absolutely. In fact, she'll most likely never gain minions in the mechanical sense. Anarchism is about abolishing rulers. Being boss of the 'no rulers society' is a contradiction in terms. She wants to show people the full extent of their options: To be an authority, without holding authority.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Absolutely. In fact, she'll most likely never gain minions in the mechanical sense. Anarchism is about abolishing rulers. Being boss of the 'no rulers society' is a contradiction in terms. She wants to show people the full extent of their options: To be an authority, without holding authority.
Okay it’s still an additional vector from what I am prepared to spend time running storyline wise, but sounds like it could enhance everyones experience rather than taking over the game. I am tentatively ok with it, but it still sounds like possibly unsatisfying for you with your main focus being at best an ancillary focus in the game.

QUESTION TO PROSPECTIVE PLAYERS: How do you feel about a campaign requirement for a Code Against Killings required Psychological Complications for all PCs?

Last edited by HeroFan; 08-12-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
QUESTION TO PROSPECTIVE PLAYERS: How do you feel about a campaign requirement for a Code Against Killings required Psychological Complications for all PCs?
I am perfectly OK with that. It brings the game tone into a higher range, and is pretty much default for modern super hero games (in my opinion). =)

And... it will help me get "grandma" out of the picture.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10900
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Code against killing would put a unique twist on my character that is, in a sense, throwing bombs or grenades. Those would be against the villain(s) or course, and she has other options at her disposal, so it's cool.
I am all for adding as much realism as possible, hit locations, etc. Getting closer to how tough it is to actually use one's powers and deal with repercussions like the X-men always face is a win-win in my opinion. I'd favor this kind of game over something leaning more towards 'Golden Age' style.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1241
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
I'd be okay with a code vs killing. I think most people have one of those, when push comes to shove. Unless in fear of one's own life, of course.