Wariforever14
The Resistance

Game NameThe Resistance
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeAction/Adventure
FlavourWar, 1940's, Alternate Unvierse
Plot SummaryThe Resistance

The Plot/Background
The idea began with a clever scientist in Brittania, a powerful country encompassing all of Europe, who, in the beginning of his career, aspired to create powerful soldiers that could outmatch those of Brittania‚€™s rival nations. It was a good idea at first, however, this idea became too inhumane for Britannia's citizens, and it was disbanded. Dissatisfied, the scientist and few of his collegues took their research and fled to Rodel, a neighboring, rival country, one much smaller than Brittania. There this scientist continued his work, only there were no volunteers to become his super-soldiers. He needed human test subjects. Where would he find people to test this theory on, and would this theory even prevail? Would it work?

A few months later, children started going missing in the small, poor border towns of Brittania. The number of children that "ran away" or "went missing" grew, day by day, week by week, skyrocketing into the thousands within just a year. These children weren't necessarily troubled and running from problems. They were taken. The Head Scientist, as he became known, was building an army.

These kids were tested on and transfused with the genes of different animals. Some died, some got really sick, and some went crazy. Finally... One child, a young girl, was a success. She became strong and powerful, the perfect example of a super soldier, everything the Head Scientist wanted. One they had one success, the thousands of children were each turned, one by one, and the rate of success grew and grew. They started to build an army and train these kids to fight. The Head Scientist at the base in Rodel called them Chimeras, half human, half animal.

The government of Britannia got word of these disappearances, then of the testing, and eventually, war broke loose between Rodel and Britannia. The only problem was that the Britannian army ended up fighting (and ultimately killing in some cases) the kids they were trying to rescue.

Coming to the present, the year 1940, fifteen years after kids started being stolen, the two armies are still fighting and kids are still being taken from the border towns. Some of these kids became cold blooded killers, insane. Some are scared and want out. Some escaped. However, even escaping doesn't truly mean freedom, not for the chimera kids. The Brittanian army hunts these children down, wanting them for questioning and seeing them as threats. Everywhere is dangerous, especially for these loose children, some now turned adults. Who can stop this situation? What if a different force rose? What if you could help? What are you going to do about it? What if you could resist?

If you would like to sign up or are interested in joining, feel free to post! I'll put a little character creator here to help you out, and I'll post my character for this too. This is actually a novel that I'm working on! This will be a very literate RP. I'd like at least full paragraph posts so we can move the story along well and build up the world. Feel free to add suggestions/advice.

Character Creator:

Name:

Description (Personality and looks):

Chimera form (What animal DNA do you have):

History:

Other:

My character (for now, I'll add more later):

Name: Adam Heidrich

Description (Personality and looks): Adam is average height, and could be described as 'stocky'. He is well muscled from being in the Rodel army for over 10 years. He moves with a purpose, and can be very exciteable. With boundless energy, Adam is constantly on the go, and gets restless if standing still for too long. His strength is his brawn, not his brains, as he was hardly educated before he was taken. He can't even read. However, Adam is very agreeable, friendly, kind, and is a fiercely loyal friend. He has dark brown hair, cut himself with a knife to about two inches in length, enough to keep out of his eyes. His eyes are so light blue that he almost seems like he's constantly squinting at any light shone at him. He has a dotting of freckles on his nose, and a well-developed tan from being outside. On his forearm is a jagged, puffy scar from where he cut out his own tracker chip in a very risky (some would call stupid) move. He almost constantly smiles, hiding any hurt behind positivity and humor.

Chimera form (What animal DNA do you have): German Shepherd

History: Adam was born in Berlin, the Capital of Brittania. His father, a General in the Brittanian army, moved his young family to a border town near a Brittanian base near Poland when Adam was a few months old. About a year later, his younger brother Aaron was born. The two boys had an easy, loved life, living in a large home in the forest, far away from any neighbors. They were well-loved, and nearly spoiled, getting anything they wanted from their doting parents. When Adam was seven and Aaron six, Rodel soldiers stormed into their home to assassinate their father. They succeeded, killing both parents, and taking the brothers to the prison to begin their new life as Rodel soldiers. Adam and Aaron were separated, and Adam assumes that his brother has since passed.

Adam keeps his life in the prisons in the back of his mind, always. He had friends, he lost friends, and eventually he decided enough was enough. He had to escape. He escaped with two others, lost one in the process, and separated from his friend a few months later to try to find his childhood home. He succeeded, finding the home exactly as it had been when he'd left it: a crime scene. He has spent the last few months clearing out the dust, covering up the bloodstains, and trying to move on.

Other: As a dog, Adam LOVES bacon.

Last edited by Wariforever14; 11-07-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added character creator
Old 11-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 169
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
So, is this a pure free-form or just an unspecified system?
What level of hybridization is appropriate? (Your example is closer to cat girl but do they run the gamut or is it all subtle?)
What is the balance on physics vs rule of cool? (Birdman rule of cool viable but runs into some serious physics limitations, for example)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Emen Kaye Emen Kaye
Sounds like fun! I'm new to PBP, is that OK?

If so, count this as my placeholder.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Wariforever14
Pure free form! I've never really used a system for roleplaying, and while I'm open to it, this is definitely my comfort zone.

And yes, Emen, that is totally okay

I think physically these chimeras look human. However, they have the ability to shift into their animals at will. (Not super realistic, but I suppose we could go semi-realistic with it. Think...Lupin transforming into Werewolf or an animagus form? No magic involved, just science)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 169
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
Really wish they had a tag for Free-Form specifically it's fairly common on some of the other sites.

My first thought was an eagle hybrid that is a crazy good sniper because he has eagle eyes, better pilot/driver because raptors are adapted to moving at higher speeds than humans. That gets weird with a full transformation, does gear come with? does conservation of mass apply? or are their metaphysics that solve that (like Animorphs I suppose).

Eagle at lease has a chance of conservation of mass working normally, Little guy who is lighter than he looks turning into a big eagle. But hummingbird or mouse were also on the short list and they would have to off load extra mass to a pocket dimension or rapidly consume it and store it as energy then turn it back into matter or slough off masses of flesh and then need to consume pounds and pounds of meat to turn back. I'm sure their are a hundred explanations, including my personal favorite "Meh, it just works, that might be fun to research in-character".

Not super-realistic probably mean that eagle guy and cat girl could probably both jump off buildings and land safely?
Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wariforever14
I know, that would be nice.

So gear/clothes wouldn't come with. They'd have transfer bags that they'd carry these things in when shifted in the field. He could fly to a high point where he'd pre-place some weapons or carry with.

I think for right now probably conservation of mass does slightly matter, hence most animals being bigger/more useful in war and in battle. But don't let it stop you from creating characters you like/want. I have a character who is a fox, because she's small, sly, and deceiving. She's used for assassinations because she's...small, young, unsuspecting.

I think eagle guy and cat girl would definitely be able to jump (to a certain point. A two story? Yes. The empire state building? Splat). They'd know how to land properly from training as well.

Mainly though, these are characters that are not treated well. They are kept in a prison-like environment and really treated as slave soldiers. A lot of them have been stolen from homes they remember and they hold bitterness towards Rodel.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:04 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Emen Kaye Emen Kaye
Just a quick question about lore: You mentioned the year is 3024. How far has the world come in terms of technology?

Perhaps you can explain it a bit in the context of the current war. Has warfare become more mechanized or does it remain somewhat like the rank and file warfare of today? What kinds of weapons are used?

This Britannia encompasses all of Europe. Is there a broad Britannian culture or do the cultures of the prior civilizations remain?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wariforever14
Shoot, I actually meant to edit that! I think this may work better as like an alternate history, where the British Empire expanded around Europe in the 1800's instead of falling apart in the early 1900's.
So in actuality- and I'll edit this- this will take place in 1940, with similar technology, advancement, though a different world situation.

Therefore we'd have tanks, machine guns, and airplanes. No cell phones/computers. The radio will be a big thing.

Great question! This is actually one I've thought a lot about! Think of it like American states. There will definitely be the cultures within the prior civilization. The main language of Brittania will be English, but in the different regions of Brittania they will also speak their local languages, retain their local cultures, and could even retain some...animosity toward the Empire itself.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Emen Kaye Emen Kaye
Excellent, thanks! That clears things up for me. My character app should be up by the end of the weekend.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:30 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59392
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
admin bump to generate some interest
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 AM
Slightlystitious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1014
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Name: Calliope "Callie" Pantazis

Description (Personality and looks): As a human, Calliope stands at an eye-catching six feet tall, with shoulder-length hair that is predominantly auburn but has both white-blond and jet-black patches. Under bright light, her green eyes narrow to feline slits, though most of the time it is more difficult to tell.

Chimera form (What animal DNA do you have): Calliope has DNA from both a domestic calico cat and a panther. In animal form, she is essentially a scaled-up housecat, with fur matching her tortoiseshell hair color.

History: Calliope's parents emigrated to Germany when her father landed an important research job in Berlin, but things turned south when her father was killed in a laboratory explosion. Calliope was sent "voluntarily" to the Rodel program when her mother fell in love with a party official and her early-teenage daughter from a previous marriage became something of an inconvenience. Calliope was one of the first successful Chimeras, and trained extensively both as a human and as a feline. The goal of the program was to eliminate her prior personality in favor of the perfect soldier and infiltrator, able to live off the land, come and go by stealth, and follow orders without question. Well, two out of three ain't bad... but if they wanted a creature that would follow orders without question, they should not have used a cat.
As Calliope's identity merged and fused with her feline instincts, she grew increasingly restless... and ironically, the very skills that were being trained in her made it increasingly difficult to keep her captive. She escaped, and went into the countryside. For years, she lived a feral existence in her animal form, subsisting on small animals and staying well away from humans... but as she spent time away from the rigorous training and indoctrination center, she slowly began to return to a sense of self. She soon realized that she wanted more from life than a warm burrow and a full belly... but she had no documents, no resources, and no home. And so, Calliope found herself living on the streets, relying on her animal abilities where human kindness was inadequate, and searching for a way to re-enter human sociey.

Other: Even in human form, Calliope has certain animal mannerisms. She is very tactile, purrs when contented, and sometimes absentmindedly licks her own fingers as if to clean them.

Last edited by auntmousie; 11-12-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: it was her mom that fell for the party official, not Callie.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wariforever14
Accepted! She seems very interesting!!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4174
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Name: Arthur Carmichael

Description (Personality and looks): Arthur has a lithe yet atheltic figure even though he looks to be thin overall. He is 5'10" in height and weighs in at 174 lbs. His hair is brown with small streaks of white possibly from the DNA that was mixed with his own during the experiments. His eyes are a deep brown almost appearing black, and extremely acute, another side effect of his alterations.

When changed Arthur looks like an Oversized Haast's Eagle, his wing span easily 12' 6" or more, sharp talons and a curved and very sharp beak.

Chimera form (What animal DNA do you have): Haast's Eagle (Haast's Eagle information)

History: Arthur's family lived almost on top of the border between Brittania and Rodel. They were among the lower class of citizenry and some of the first to see their children disappear. Arthur and his younger sister Amelia were both taken when they were home alone their parents both out working trying to feed and clothe the family. Not long after their disappearance, unbeknownst to Arthur or his sister his parents were killed while trying to find their children, the case was overlooked due to the fact they were of the poor class.

Arthur and Amelia were both tested on using strains of avian DNA, and kept in close proximity Arthur and his sister injected with Haast's Eagle DNA serum retrieved from a preserved specimen. Both Arthur and his sister became extremely ill after being experimented on, and Amelia did not survive more than a day and a half, Arthur however suffered for nearly a week before he finally pushed through.

Fortunately Arthur came through his sick period in the evening when a skeleton crew was working, without even thinking he changed into his animal form, and escaped, flying back to his home, only to find not only his home gone but his parents as well. With nothing left to him Arthur joined the resistance hoping to help others not go through the terrible experiences he was submitted to. The loss of his sister weighs heavily on his soul still, feeling responsible for her death even though he was only a boy when it happened.

Other: Arthur since his change cannot stand to eat cooked meat in any form. Part of his transformation has left him only able to eat raw meat.

Last edited by JaredSyn; 11-13-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Cherry
Still open for newbies? There's no manual for this, right? Straight-up character/animal role play? I think I wanna be a werebear but I gotta read the other characters first in case someone took bear.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 861
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
The KapoName: Bernard Perrault (rewrite)
right-aligned image

Nationality: French

Description: With his thick lips and flat nose, Bernard is not the handsomest guy but he is big and somewhat strong. Unlike most of the others, he was already an outcast and pariah before the experiments as a Jew in anti Semetic pre-conquest France. His mother wasen't killed by the uprising, she was killed in an Easter Day pogrom/riot in their small town outside of Marseilles when he was just shy of his first birthday and he grew up resentful and angry.

Chimera Form: Platypus (from Lolwat.com.
Quote:
Platypus’s have “electrolocation”. Essentially, they have receptors in their bill that allows them to detect the electrical signals their prey may generate. The ironic thing is, the more quickly prey flees, the more electricity it generates, so it becomes easier for a platypus to pursue it. What’s more, the males have barbs on their hind legs that can inject a lethal poison.
History: Bernard was one of the weirder experiments. Platypuses (platypi?) are strange creatures anyway and not found in Europe outside of zoos but the experiment was a great success. The Rodel used his anger and resentment of the continentals to separate him from his fellow prisoners. He proved to be able to track escapees over long distances and was made a trustee in the camps.

What caused him to leave was not surprising. He fell in love with another prisoner. She was beautiful, a gazelle chimera with a long beautiful body and face. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one who found her beautiful and she was put into the special tent for the use of the guards, where she eventually committed suicide (though Bernard doesn't believe that, he believed she was murdered). From then on, it was only a matter of time before Bernard found an opportunity to escape his guards and make his way to the allies . . . still a freak, a chimera, and a Jew. Worse, many of his fellow chimeras know and hate him for collaborating.

Other: Bernard has a more animalistic form but has not used it since the early days of the experiments. He has the ability to retain his human appearance but maintains the elecro-tracking sense and has the poison spurs that he can extrude from his feet. He wears sandals and socks to allow this transformation if necessary but generally prefers to use a handgun.

Last edited by penbeast0; 11-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.