Old 11-15-2019, 08:21 PM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8573
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanshiiWithWulfs View Post
Very interested! How long will the adventure last, in terms of character levels?
According to its market page on dndb, it goes to Lv13.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8210
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Silent and Krymel, it's always exciting to see you two! Looking forward to seeing your characters

Koookan, Welcome to the site and awesome start! Let me know if you have any questions.

Lyd <3 the temptation hasn't even started yet, wait for Avernus lol

Anae and mrtowne, I haven't played with either of you yet. Can't wait to see your concepts. It's always fun to meet new people on here!

Arete, very cool, can't wait to see her. It's nice to see that the extra +1 will help people make builds like this work easier

DanshiiWithWulfs, yup, Retry's got it. We're going to go 2-13+ I'll still be around, so if anyone else is I'm sure we'll find more trouble to get into lol.

Last edited by DaysUntold; 11-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 698
Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius Aurius
Oh good lord. Descent into Avernus... The 9 HELLS! I'll do my best to have an application in by tomorrow midnight AEST.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5395
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Welp, time to throw out a PC that'll most likely run counter to this adventure!

Character Application
Application Complete!

Character Theme - River In The Desert

right-aligned image

Name: Gimilia (Belbela) Maia
Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Druid (Circle of the Shepard)
Alignment: CG
Background: Courtier

Traits: Naturally Attuned - "Nature has always been welcoming to me. All those stray cats and dogs are invaluable living in the city!"
Extrovert - "Hello! Nice to meet you! Hey,what's that over there? Oooh, let's go check it out!"
Ideal: Diplomacy - "It's important we find common ground, work together to solve problems, and become stronger by standing along side one another."
Bond: Secret - "Above all else I can't share the location of The Well."
Flaws: Refractive - "Huh? Hm. No, I guess I haven't given it much thought. Eh, I'm sure it'll all work out."
Action! - "Alright let's go! ...What? Yes I heard the plan! I do the thing, kill the guy, and everyone does their thing. Simple! ...What d'you mean DON'T kill him?"

Summary: Gimilia can be described as having a radiant personality. She's energetic, talkative, adventurous, and always eager to see what lay around the bend. She feels at her most effective when among a crowd of voices and people, moving from face to face and learning the latest bit of gossip or to get lost in a particularly charming dialog. Since she was young animals always felt drawn to her. This was an unusual but helpful trait to explore growing up in Baldur's Gate, leading to her being given the nickname 'Ringmaster' when she could, on some days, have a literal crowd of dogs and cats and rats and birds following her home. But, perhaps most bizarrely, she could dismiss them as easily as they came.

There are times where she can come across as somewhat callous or failing to grasp larger implications of her actions. But when she does falter she pushes through with vigor, smiling and feeling confident that if anything should happen, when the time comes, she'll handle it. Her powers are constantly growing after all! Surely she'll reach a new peak of power and produce just the answer she needs!

Backstory: Gimilia, originally named Belbela, is the only daughter of Sandros and Yenniv Maia. A pair of above-ground Dwarves that traveled to Baldur's Gate from Daggerford to seek a chance at a better life. The pair had tried for some time now to have a child of their own, never having settled on a clear reason as to what the trouble was as any healer they spoke to would determine both were in great health. And yet, Belbela has been their only child. As such, she was spoiled growing up, as much as a shipwright and metalworker could manage in Baldur's Gate. Never poor but struggling to move up in the city. At a young age Yenniv tried to pass on her metalworking secrets to her daughter but she never seemed to take a strong interest. Preferring instead to wander around Heapside and Seatower when she could get away from under the ever watchful gaze of her nervous parents.

It was during these times that she learned just how special she truly was. After her first walk by herself she returned home being followed by a few birds and a stray cat. This of itself wasn't terribly strange, but she wasn't allowed to keep the cat. In the coming weeks the amount of animals that followed Belbela home steadily swelled, until she was practically leading around a parade of animals. Birds, dogs, cats, rats, a particularly brave deer, and the concerned but very confused City Watch. Wanting to be done with this headache she turned to the beasts and said, "Get! Go on, go home!" And, to everyone's amazement, they dispersed. Not to return unless called upon again. There are rumors, even to this day in Baldur's Gate, that for a time, The Guild struggled to offer their services and make coin due to some new information network that was kept slipping through their own web of contacts. And no one could figure out why. Though the average person wasn't terribly upset thieves and jackboots were struggling to make ends meet.

Once she became of-age, Belbela acquired that unique trait of above-ground Dwarves; Wanderlust. She had been in Baldur's Gate long enough. Seen the rampant abuse from The Guild that was starting to get around her unique info network and regaining it's hold on the city. Something more substantial had to be done. She approached her parents and outlined the idea of becoming a diplomat, honing her innate gift of gab to animals and people alike and try to make things better for the city and the neighboring ones. Sandros and Yenniv were actually okay with this idea as a diplomat rarely went anywhere alone or unguarded and were certain she would be a great speaker. With some family funds pooled they helped pay their daughter's way to a modest college, wishing her the best and letting her know she'll always have a home to return to.

RP Sample: You witness a man rob a noble but instead of keeping the money for himself, he donates it to a local orphanage. You know this orphanage has been struggling for funding, and this money will allow the children to receive proper food, clothing and medical care. If you report the crime, the money will be taken away from the orphanage and given back to the noble. What do you do?

Gimilia sighs to herself as she follows the trail as tracked down by the village stray dog, feeding him a few strips of jerky as thanks for his help. "The place is in shambles." She mutters to herself, looking over the orphanage structure, able to see blankets in the windows and spread out under the shingles of the roof to keep rain and animals out. There wasn't a whole lot she herself could do with her Druidic powers but perhaps she could lend a hand in regards to the noble that was robbed. She turned and began heading back to the village center when a garishly-dressed woman approached, laden in glittering jewelry and flanked by what she guessed were her personal guards.

"Where is he?!" she declared in a shrill voice roiling with anger. "I want that thief found and brought before me!"

"'Scuse me!" Gimilia approaches with a wave and a smile, the stray dog from earlier staying at her heels but keeping behind her as he shies away from the noblewoman. "Is there a problem?"

"There damn well is!" She barks. "Some brigand up and took my investment funds from my good-for-nothing guards! What do I even PAY you clods for anyway?!" The guards in question glance to one side or another, looking more irritated than guilty.

"Weeeeeeell I may have seen the person that took-"

"Where?! Where is that dirty scoundrel! Tell me peasant girl!" She grabs Gimilia's shoulder, unable to really shake her from the Dwarf's stocky build.

She reaches up and takes her hands gently off her person. "I'm not a girl. I'm a Dwarf, into her first century. Second, I said I only may have seen the person. I saw them drop off the coin at an orphanage."

"An orphanage? No doubt a cover for whatever dirty deeds they're planning to perform with my money..."

"...Nnnoo. it's an actual orphanage. With sick kids in a really run down house."

"Who cares about the house?! I want my coin back!"

She holds up her hands. "Just a minute! You said that was investment money right? Well, what looks better for the image of a noble that helping out the poor and downtrodden?"

The noblewoman eyes her suspiciously. "...Where are you going with this?"

"Just imagine! You make your way back to the city, tell a tale of how some dastardly fiend robbed you of your coin but you stopped him just before he could return to his lair. Then, you pass by this ramshackle home, the cries of children could be heard within and the roof groaning, as if joining in their sobs. Peering inside you see several filthy, starved children with tattered clothing, gaunt faces, and one haggard caretaker among them. Seeing this breaks your heart. So you march in and donate the gold! Thus saving what must have been two dozen children and making you look like the noble with silver in your pockets and gold in your heart. Not a bad tale to tell, right?"

The woman fingered her necklace as she listened to this, seemingly intently listening to his bronze-skinned Dwarven woman share this tale. After a long pause she replied, "...I'll consider it. Come! This running around has worn me out. I must lay down and refresh myself." She turned on her bootheel and walked off, leaving Gimilia to idly rub the head of the stray that had helped her, wagging his tail as he looked up at her.

Last edited by Tyeal; 11-22-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application for Review (Complete)

Public Application Section

right-aligned image

Basic Character Details:
Name: Gabriel Evengarde
Age 30
Race: Aasimar (Protector)
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Good/ Lawful Evil
Background: Soldier (Active Duty): Elturel - The Order of the Companion
Character Appearance & Mannerisms: Gabriel was quite fit for his age, his body was lean but efficient, a balance of size and strength having worked all his life in training to be a Paladin, and thus spending many hours a day training in combat. Outside of his duties to the city, Gabriel wore a Uniform indicative of his rank in the Companions, and a badge given with the Writ of acceptance hung inside his pocket on a chain. His blonde hair and sharp-featured face typically went unnoticed to his piercing blue eyes. Yet, those that knew him were aware that in the heat of battle, his eyes sometimes gleamed gold. His height was average for a human of 30 years old and his weight was on the leaner side.

Gabriel ventured on duty donning a black Gambison underneath his polished Chain Mail Armor. If he was going to be traveling far, he would typically wear a white cloak over the top of this armor, leaving his holy symbol to Torm visible around his neck. Swaying from his side was a standard issue longsword, its hilt worn from extensive use but the blade was meticulously cleaned and whetted after each day. It slid into a leather sheath that was tied to his leather waist belt. His shield was also a standard-issue, a kite shield with the symbol of the Order of the Companion on it, depicting his factional allegiance however new it may be.

His mannerisms were quite simple. Respect others as he wished to be respected. Obey the Law, be polite and helpful and always make time for the people in need. Although since his time in the Companions he had begun to feel a little more oppressive than helpful, not that it mattered now that the majority of Elturel was all but a crater in the ground and the holy Companion was blackened.

Character Personality:

Personality Traits:
  • I Idolize a particular hero of my faith and constantly refer to that person's deeds as an example. Gabriel idolizes his father above all else, believing him to be a beacon of hope, justice, and skill.
  • Nothing can shake my Devotion to my mission. Gabriel feels as though the only way he can prove himself after failing to be there for the city is to bring it back at any cost.
Ideals:
  • Power. I hope to one day rise to the top of my faith's religious hierarchy (Lawful). After seeing the Black Companion floating in the sky and the disappearance of Elturel, Gabriel believes that being out on an order of the gauntlet mission has caused him to fail his task to protect the city and its people. His first concern was the whereabouts of the High Observer, the highest of Torm's favor and most honored of the Order of Companions. The second on how to rescue the city, but the immediate issue was the refugees and getting them to safety. Secretly, He truly believes if he had been stronger, and in a higher place of power, he would have been able to stop the catastrophe.
Bonds:
  • I will do anything to protect the City (Elturel) where I served. Self-explanatory, Gabriel is willing to give his life in order to save the city if at all possible, and in his mind, live true to Torm's tenants.
Flaws:
  • I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple's hierarchy As above, after the disappearance of Elturel and the Blackening of the Companion, Gabriel believes that it must be a test of faith or punishment for allowing too many evils to exist. He can not fathom that the god would not save his most devout follower unless there was some divine reason. He believes that by saving the Holy City, that he can reverse the corruption of the Companion and thus save the city he is sworn to protect.
  • Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life. Twofold for Gabriel who believes both the city and his success as a Knight of the Companions are tied to the saving of Elturel. So he will succeed by any means possible.
Summary:
Pre-Disappearance of Elturel, Gabriel was a man of honor, tradition, utmost devotion to faith and the hierarchy it operates under. He was kind, considerate, hard-working, a shining example of a paladin and their devotion to their city and their god.

Post-Dissapearance of Elturel, Gabriel is shaken, seeing the shining beacon of hope that is the Companion corrupted has shaken him to the core. His devotion to Torm is still at the pinnacle of his being. Gabriel now is a holy man on a crusade to bring back Elturel and The Companion by any means necessary. He still believes in Law, and will obey the rules of any city. He still gives respect to people who are innocent and those who are worthy of it.

Backstory:
Gabriel Evengarde is an Aasimaar Paladin who lived his entire life in the Holy City of Elturel. His father was a member of the Hellguard of Elturel, though he died during the defense of the city against the Cult of the Dragon years ago. Gabriel's mother was unknown to him, although from what he's learned, she was likely to be a deva of some sort in Torm's service. He sometimes felt her in his dreams but had never truly seen her or learned her name.

As a child, Gabriel was gifted in martial activities such as swordplay and grappling. He also had a tendency towards devotion of his life and soul to Torm The True and The Loyal Fury. This naturally meant that Gabriel was inclined towards study and training as a Paladin in the service of the Torm Clergy. His natural affinities for being easy to talk to and approachable assisted in his development to become a Paladin, and to provide assistance to the good people of the city.

As he grew older and was finally consecrated as a Paladin of Torm, he pledged his service to the Order of the Gauntlet, in hopes to gain more experience and strength which would afford him to his ultimate goal of joining the Order of the Companion, the guard, and highest regarded men and women in Elturel.

He managed to succeed in this task and was granted a Knighthood in the Order of the Companion. Gabriel went out on a mission for the Order of the Gauntlet, to investigate some bandits harrowing travelers along the River Chionthar, and when he returned from the expedition he was horrified at the sight. The Companion had turned from a gleaming white beacon of hope in the sky to a black ball of darkness, and Elturel was naught but a crater in the ground and hundreds of refugees screaming in terror. He thought to himself it an omen, that perhaps he did not deserve the appointed honor. His absence for the event and barely escaping with his life did not help with that train of thought.

He ventured to Baldurs Gate seeking refuge, leading the suffering survivors of the catastrophe to the safety of the cities walls with the other remaining members of the Order of the Companion. Swearing to himself that he would somehow rescue the others after all that is the oath he took when he joined the service of the Companions and he was not willing to dishonor that pledge. An oath was an oath and he would do anything to ensure he fulfilled it.

RP Sample: Gabriel flicked his hand as the pain coursed through his knuckles, the dread of what he had just done washed over him as a tsunami does over a shorefront shack.
"Hit me all you like Gabriel, it does not make it any less true. Your father was corrupt, he was corrupt to the core. My father said so, and he served with him remember".
The Cleric who Gabriel knew as Brother Eamon spoke words that sounded like poison and lies but the calmness in his voice at such an accusation enraged Gabriel.

*Whack*. Blood spattered across the stone walls of the prayer chamber, echoing with the symphony of crickets and other nocturnal animals that broke the otherwise silent night. "Never say that about my father, he was a good man, better than any of the men that live today!". Gabriel spat the words back as he wiped his brow as the perspiration dotted his face. It wasn't the accusations that had him so worked up, it was the fact that he had just assaulted a fellow member of the Clergy of Torm. One that outranked him, a Cleric none the less.

"Gabriel, you can beat me until I am unconscious, Torm knows who is right, and he will punish you dearly for hurting a brother of faith who is only trying to help you." the man spoke calmly and without raised fists still, even after the assault. The corner of his mouth dripped with red lifeblood as he wiped it away on his priest robes.

Gabriel knew he had to stop, otherwise, he would never become a Paladin of Torm, something he had wanted more than ever, to be as his father was, devout, righteous and a strong arm and shoulder to the people. What am I doing? He thought to himself with disblief and frustration. I know in my heart he was a good man, I need not react with violence, but words. Gabriel took a deep breath reached out with his hands once more. Though this time, the hands were outstretched palms, and as Gabriel touched Brother Eamons face, a bright light enshrouded their sillouette. As Gabriel removed his hand from the side of the mans face, the blood and bruising was gone.

"Brother Eamon, I am sorry. I will not accept your words, but I will extend my apologies and receive whatever punishment is afforded to me. Hitting you was wrong, unjust, and not the way of Torm." The words were true but it was through shame and embarrassment that Gabriel spoke them.

Luckily for Gabriel, the man spoke once more before turning and leaving the chamber. "Atonement will be delivered from Torm himself, he is just after all Gabriel. I have no need to report this matter. Do think about what I've said though, I only tell you because I care for you Gabriel, and do not wish to see you follow the wrong path and waste your abilities for evil. May Torm be with you, and Justice prevails always.. The Priest turned and his steps echoed throughout the prayer room as the creak of the old wooden door and subsequent click of the latch as it was closed resonated with the end of the discussion.

"And you as well.." Gabriel muttered as he turned to the front of the prayer room and kneeled, beginning his evening prayer to Torm, a time when he was most tranquil and felt close to his god, something he needed now, more than ever.

Last edited by Aurius; 11-25-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Fixed up Backstory :)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:20 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4849
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Days, to say I am interested in joining your game would be an understatement

Though being honest, we both know that due to work my posting rate fluctuates from several times a day to barely one a week, without me getting much say on the matter

Still, I am not gonna stand here regretting I couldn't join your campaign without at least trying to earn a spot first

I'll get back to you with a LE Conquest Paladin before too long

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 11-16-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:41 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3891
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Oh no Jim, you didn't!
Old 11-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Aurius: Lol, awesome. Dw though, you have time.

Tyeal: Hi! Great start. Love that you're embracing the fish out of water aspect Most characters will end up feeling like that in avernus so you'll be in good company, lol.

Jim: Hey The last evil character of yours that I saw was terrifying, lol. This should be interesting.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 254
Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall
Adaman Starburn
right-aligned image

Name: Adaman Starburn
Race: Scourge Aasimar (If you choose no wings for characters, I'm fine with that. That ins't my reason for this choice)
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Good (I know, I wanna take the challenge)
Background: Acolyte

Character Appearance: Adaman is nothing short of a steller example of what mortals can be. Of course nothing else would be the expectations for someone who's blood is intertwined with that of the very heavens themselves. He has long blonde hair, flowing and luminous as some have described it. His eyes are primarily gray though they have a faint golden ring around the irises. He stands just under 6 foot, athletic build, and his proportions are just short of perfect, in an artistic and militaristic sense. His gate carries both tones of confidence and grace. His voice is melodic but contains just enough tone and rasp to not seem "soft".

He rarely puts his hair up at all, he rather let's it hand down over his shoulders. His armor is not as decorative as some other Paladins might wear, he prefers a simple set. That is until he receives his emblazoned set from the temple.

He often has a smile on his face. He can't help it. Or at least that was how he used to be. Lately his concern for his friend Lilith has made him less able to loosen up. Laughter hasn't left his life completely, but as the days get darker, he finds it harder to find humor in what he sees.

Character Personality:

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Knightfall; 11-25-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 AM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2962
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Yes, please. Character to be made this weekend.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Application complete!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Goblin Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3243
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Ikol
left-aligned image
Ikol

Name: Ikol
Race: Goblin
Class: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Charlatan

Character Appearance:
Ikol is not a pleasant creature to look upon wiry and short even by goblin standards with a bald head, filthy claw-like nails and stained pointed teeth. He wears a manic smile and his mismatched eyes burn with something between passion and insanity. Dressed in faded leather over motley and ruined silks, this goblin jester wields a fool's scepter formed in the likeness of his own face. His sceptre is (to the confusion of many) also named 'Ikol' and he often converses with brazen likeness on issues of importance.

Character Personality:

Personality Trait 1:
I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humour is inappropriate. It gets me in and out of trouble on about a 50/50 ratio.... and I like those odds.

Personality Trait 2:
I pocket anything I see that might have some value. Lose coins, leftovers after a meal, funny shaped stones... one man's junk is another man's treasure, and usually another man's treasure is treasure to all men.

Ideals:
Independence. I am a free and rather chaotic spirit--no one tells me what to do. I suppose its a symptom of twisted form of affluenza combined with a short attention span and goblinoid moral structures.

Bonds:
The common races are an odd and fascinating bunch, I wish to live amongst them. And I have since running away from my people. I powder my face, slip into some silken garments, use polysyllabic words that convey the impression of great erudition and claim to be a gnome... generally I find myself well received.

Flaws:
If there is a 'plan', I'll forget it. If I don't forget it, I'll ignore it.
I the same issue with 'names'...like a medical issue...selective anomic aphasia...

Summary:

In ancient times, the goblins had their own pantheon, and among them existed a trickster. When the goblin gods fell, the trickster, determined to have the last laugh, was not slain as the other gods were, but rather allowed himself to be shattered and scattered amongst the worlds. Those sentient slithers of the mischief incarnate can still possess goblins to this day, fueling them with a desire for chaos, trickery and hedonistic pursuits.

Ikol is one such goblin, or possibly he's just... mad. He talks to himself and sings in riddles while prancing and dancing, delighting in deceit and mockery.

Backstory:

Ikol spent his childhood lauded as some form of semi-divine figure amongst his tribe. He grew accustomed to luxury, wealth and power. He was born a jester and thus afforded the fear and respect such a role entailed amongst his people. However, a growing sense of wanderlust led Ikol to abandon his tribe on a whim one day. Ever since, he has travelled throughout the world, usually in one guise or another – a gnomish antiques dealer here, a halfling street performer there. Rarely does Ikol appear as his true self when dealing with the common races.

After a brief period of employment with Xanthar's guild, (which to Ikol surprise in fact held no official status as a "guild"), he fled the impending Waterdavian gang war. He shed his assumed identity of one 'Rumpel Oakenleaf' the proprietor of 'Oakleaf Oddities', a shop of curiosities and antiquities... and a front for a Xanthar-backed fence operation. Ikol stowed away on a trade ship bound south, arriving days later at the city of Baldur's gate.

Currently Ikol resides in the Lower City of Baldur's Gate, begging for coin, picking pockets and frequenting squalid taverns where a his bawdy performances are well received and earning the notice of yet another 'guild', known simply as 'the Guild'.

RP Sample:

Secrets

Last edited by Zinrokh; 11-27-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
right-aligned image

Name: Nate Shadowsulker
Race: Deep Gnome/Svirfneblin [SCAG]
Class: Rogue (Mastermind) [SCAG]
Alignment: CN
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter (former Spy)

Character Appearance: Thick, white hair falls in a mess down the gnome's back, but she tries to keep it controlled through a well-placed hat or a handy leather band. Her skin is the color of stone--the boring sort of stone that leans a little too gray, with hardly any variations, and her eyes are deep set and dark. Thin and muscular, she is built for stealth and quickness though not for speed. Out of combat or contract, her fashion choices run into regrettable--mismatched and ill-fitting with accessories that edge just this side of creepy. She's no hoarder, but she does like to wear prizes from her favorite kills, and they've been a decidedly eclectic bunch of creatures. If she were ever to smile, one might say it transforms her face, but whether that's a worthwhile transformation or something made for nightmares, most will never know.

Character Personality:

Two Personality Traits: Calm and quiet, Nate assesses a situation or contract based on what it can do for her.

One Background Ideal: Nate is loyal for the right price but always interested in turning a profit.

One Background Bond: Nate has an extensive informer network; she is contracted by the Caldwell, Linnacker, and Ravenshade families on a regular basis.

Two Character Flaws: There's a good chance that some of the targets Nate killed were innocent; if the money's good, she doesn't check up on the contract, merely fulfills it. Also, the poor gnome cannot hold her liquor (and thus rarely drinks).

Summary:

It was rare to see the gnome smile. Sure, her kind had a reputation of sorts--drab and depressed--but Nate was neither of these things. She was serious, and she was suspicious, and she was far too fond of silence. Still, Nate wasn't unhappy. She was busy. Nate liked being busy. As long as she kept moving, kept the network moving, kept the money moving, she could feel like she was contributing. True, the deep gnome was often contributing to the underbelly of Baldur's gate--some favorite of a spoken few--but there was very little that Nate would refuse for the right amount of gold. Besides, the silence was her shield. Indeed, Nate never appeared to be ruffled, no matter how desperate the situation, and this trait--combined with a well-practiced, dead-eye, blanked-gaze stare, was often enough to buy time and flip the odds. Maybe she should have been more conscious of her contracts and what led to them, and maybe she shouldn't have been so motivated by money, but nobody's perfect--least of all an Underdark transplant in a criminal underworld.

(Application: Complete)

Last edited by BinnFord; 11-29-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8684
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
WIP

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Rugith

Race: Bugbear

Class: Monk

Alignment: LE

Background: Faction Agent (Zhentarim)

Character Appearance: Please include an appropriately sized image as well as a short description of their appearance and mannerisms.

Character Personality:

Please write a sentence or two for each of the items below. Feel free to use the ones from the backgrounds or write your own. Tailoring them to your character is always encouraged.
Two Personality Traits Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
One Background Ideal I hope to one day prove my worth to my master and earn my freedom.

One Background Bond I will do anything to serve my faction.

Two Character Flaws I put too much trust in those who wield power within my faction.
Once a goal has been picked for me, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Summary: Rugith has mistaken the will of the gods with his servitude for the Zhentarim. His master has become like a god to him so engrossed in his loyalty he has become. There is no pain he would not suffer, no hardship he would not endure, no atrocity he would not commit in the name of the Zhentarim. If they are the chosen of the gods, it is only right that he serve them so fervently.

Backstory: Riskel Lupul has risen through the ranks of the Zhentarim for many years by sheer will power and an uncanny cunning. The mastermind has a knack for knowing when to sell on a situation and when to buy in. With the fall of Elturel, there was a power vacuum in the Balder's Gate region that Riskel sought to take advantage of. The Flaming Fists were overwhelmed by the situation and security became a high priority for many nobles and lesser houses of the city. The mercenaries and ruffians employed by the Zhentarim were the perfect bodyguards to be sold to the highest bidder. Once in place, these personal protectors could spy on their charges, granting Riskel the most important resource in the world, knowledge.

Rugith was assigned to Duke Thalmamra Vathampur who liked the imposing figure the bugbear cast. Riskel liked having a pair of ears close to the most guarded and secretive member of the Council of Four in all of Baldur's Gate.

RP Sample: Standing outside the personal chambers of the Duke was a boring task for someone used to knocking skulls or breaking fingers but Riskel needed information more than he needed brutality. Patience, he had preached. There would be time aplenty for violence once he acquired sufficient knowledge. Such matters bored Rugith but Riskel was the smartest and savviest person the bugbear had ever encountered and he had absolute trust in his master. It was normally a strain to hear what was being said behind the heavy oak doors but when Thalmamra's eldest son had entered the room the pair were loud and boisterous about a scheme they had concocted. Most of their planning usually bored Riskel when Rugith would report of the Duke's dealings but this particular bit had interested the Zhentarim agent greatly. Thalmamra's son was to be meeting an underling of another council member. A payment was to be made to make an embarrassing situation disappear. Thalmamra dealt in scandal and gossip and people paid to keep their illicit affairs secret.

Two days later, Rugith was pacing a step behind the Duke at her son's funeral. Riskel's men had been too rough on the boy when they had accosted him for the bribe money they knew he had possessed. Knowledge that had come from Rugith. It was a different sensation to blood on one's hands without ever having gotten blood on your hands. He could see the Duke's shoulders quiver as she cried quietly to herself only steps in front of him. Her son had died because of information that Rugith had stolen from her and provided his master. Was it cowardly, how he was living his life now? Should he be upset with Riskel for what mission he had been assigned. He would have rather of been one of the robbers who killed the boy than the snitch who had started the deed. Something was tugging at Rugith that he had never felt before...guilt.

Secret Application Section

Last edited by tomplum; 11-25-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yesterday I came down with a sudden cold and didn't get to do much on the site, so I'll be catching up this morning. Everyone's apps are looking super exciting and if anyone is looking for feedback, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it!

A couple things that I wanted to make sure you all had was the additional Elturel information as well as the new backgrounds and features. The game forum hasn't been made yet, most likely because it's a weekend and the site admin are busy. So, for now I've included them in the Q&A section.