In a Nutshell
right-aligned image

Name: Erna Luckschild
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Cleric (Tymora, Life Domain)
Alignment: CG
Background: Acolyte

Character Appearance:

Erna stands half a head above the crowds of humankind, her half-orc ancestry gifting her with a rugged build. Her grey-green skin and fangs likewise come from her orc blood. Her expressive blue eyes stand out in contrast to this brutish heritage, twin sapphires that reflect vulnerability and tenderness. In general, her features are very much human: a crisp, thin jaw; a narrow nose; full lips. Overall, it is the human side of her that dominates her appearance; she is more delicate than is common for her heritage.

Erna has a certain haphazard energy about her; her actions evoke words like "flounce" and "swoop" and "gesticulate". It's a good-natured, happy-go-lucky kind of haphazard, though. Some might find it endearing.

Character Personality:
  • Trait: Erna walks the razor's edge of humility and low self-esteem. Her affect is colored by her internal struggles.
  • Trait: Erna has been taught generosity and kindness since her infancy.
  • Ideal: Good. Erna believes that all people deserve dignity and respect. Her life is in service to that end.
  • Bond: Erna is sworn in service to the church of Tymora.
  • Flaw: Erna cannot take a compliment gracefully and can even be offensive in the way she evades praise.
  • Flaw: Erna has little patience for planning and can be dismissive of others' plans.
Summary: Erna's effusive energy brings sunshine to mind. She's got a half-full glass for every situation, and an abundance of compassion for people who are hurting. She's not the deepest thinker, maybe even obtuse at times. But she makes up for it with a good nature and an earnest eagerness to help.

Last edited by phinar; 11-27-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8260
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
I should have gotten feedback to everyone who has requested it, as well as anyone who completed an app but didn't specifically ask, so if I missed you or you would like follow up, please shoot me a PM.

Also, I've posted some general and campaign specific rules that you're free to browse. For instance, there's a new use for inspiration and some information on making deals with devils, how alignment might impact your character in game, and how tracking will be used for ammunition and foraging.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

phinar, great start! Excited to see how it turns out.

Last edited by DaysUntold; 11-20-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2802
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Thanks for the feedback, you'll have your hands full picking from the great characters already posted, those who are still a work in progress, and of course those that will turn up later.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Thanks for the feedback! I'm already having a blast.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
Koookan
@DaysUntold thanks for the feedback, I've added more details as requested, helping me further shape out the character.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5395
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Okay! I think my application is finally finished! Feel free to look it over and offer any feedback, or ask whatever questions, you might have.

Last edited by Tyeal; 11-20-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 AM
Some Believe in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2787
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Placeholder for an incoming rogue application
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rogue.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	82272  
Old 11-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4349
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Public Application
right-aligned image
Basic Character Details:
  • Name: Caleb Shaw
  • Age 31
  • Race: Human (Variant)
  • Class: Blood Hunter
  • Alignment: Chaotic Good
  • Background: From CoS, if available.
    Otherwise, Urban Bounty Hunter
    Haunted One
Character Appearance: Shaw looks like a man who has let other concerns long distract him from trivialities such as grooming. His dirty blonde hair has grown untamed, long and shaggy to match the darker beard that frames a strong jaw. But the intensity of green eyes hidden beneath heavy brows shows that he is still very much a driven man, he simply does not spare time for things that do not matter to him. He is broad, but not overly tall, with a stocky build that sometimes seems at odds with his smooth movement. He often seems restless, twitching and cracking his knuckles if he has to remain still for any amount of time.

Character Personality:
  • Trait: I get restless when life in the city feels too tame, too safe. I live for the thrill of the hunt.
  • Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words. I speak little in the hope that people will judge me by my actions.
  • Ideal: Greater Good. I will endure any hardship and make any sacrifice in defense of those I perceive as innocent.
  • Bond: I was inducted into an order of blood hunters. When the order calls, I must answer.
  • Flaw: I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that I struggle to repress.
  • Flaw: I'm not used to being around other people much and sometimes get grouchy about it.
Summary: Sometimes sullen, sometimes short-tempered, Shaw nonetheless perceives himself as a tragic hero. He made a choice and took a burden upon himself. It has cost him greatly, and so he has thrown himself into his 'work' (for lack of a better term). But he always holds himself apart from those he thinks of himself as protecting. Partly to keep them safe from his own darker urges, partly to protect himself from discovery, but mostly so that when they ultimately leave it will hurt less. He cultivates contacts and informants among the people of the Lower City, but no friends.

Backstory:

The Cloak Wood lies south of Baldur's Gate. It's a dark place, shunned by most civilized folk, but around the edges you can still find hunters, foresters and woodsmen scratching out a living from its dubious bounty. That was where Caleb Shaw grew to be a man, learning the ways of the woods at his parents' heels and making the forest his home. But the forest can't provide everything, so the Shaws hauled herbs and hides and lumber to the east, awaiting the traders that would pass along the Coast Way. It was there that Caleb met Mirriam. It was a strange sort of courtship, with the two only meeting once a season or so when her father's trading wagons came down the Way. But love takes a powerful hold on the young, and eventually the two were wed, with Mirriam coming to live with Caleb in his woody cottage.

When their daughter Abigail was born, it was the happiest day of their lives and Caleb Shaw was the happiest man in the Western Heartlands. When their infant child was stolen from them two months later, it broke him. For three days he scoured the woods for any sign of the thing that had taken her. For three nights, he cowered in his home, not strong enough to brave the Cloak Woods in the dark. Just before the fourth morning dawned, a strange man came to the door. Jebediah offered Caleb a chance, only a chance, to hunt the creature that had taken Abigail. Caleb took the man's offer and underwent the blood ritual while Mirriam looked on with horror.

That night and for two others like it, Jebediah and Caleb hunted side-by-side under the light of the moon. Eventually they found the trail of a hag deep within the woods. A child-stealing, flesh-eating hag. Together they tracked their prey to her lair and slew her. She died with a strange smile on her lips, but the cries of an infant child drew Caleb deeper into the lair. He had not even dared to hope, but there was his daughter. He snatched up Abigail and rushed home to Mirriam. But the reunion was short lived. Although his wife quickly took her daughter into her arms, the look she gave Caleb was one of terror. She would not abide his touch. She looked into his eyes and saw the darkness, saw the twisted thing he had become. She declared that he was no longer the man she had married. She took Abigail and left him there, alone.

With his family gone and his life irrevocably changed, Shaw left the Cloak Woods behind and came to Baldur's Gate several years ago. He stalks the narrow streets of the Lower City, preying on the people and things that hunt in the shadows and dark alleys. He paid everything for these abilities, so now the hunt is all he has left. He will spend himself in the defense of those who fear and revile him, because without that purpose it would all be for nothing.

RP Sample:

Last edited by hafrogman; 11-23-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3363
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
The Pale Prince
right-aligned image
Art by arnaerr
Name: Cosmas Hazechild
Race: Fallen Assimar
Class: Paladin
Background: Knight of the Order (Eye of Justice)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Appearance: The vision of a hale young man, comely and strong of body, is made alien by a complexion pallid beyond human capability, vivid sapphire blue hair and white, pearlescent eyes. Blue horns of semi-translucent cartilage arc from the base of his skull to the front of his forehead in a strange simulacrum of a crown. His face and body are covered with bright, glowing marks of geometric design. There is something regal about his posture and a serious expression, sometimes cold and distant, graces his face.

Personality: Grown in strict reclusiveness, Cosmas is unfamiliar with life in the outside world. Though not stone-hearted by any measure, Cosmas's childhood began and ended within the walls of the Clover mansion. He is largely unable to empathize with the plight of the common folk, having only an abstract idea of life in a world of need is like. Thus his journey to Baldur's Gate was a shocking experience and even now the young knight has only begun to grapple with life's ugliness. He has learned of the hardships that come along with fending for yourself and, among the refugees, seen people desperate to survive. A quiet, introverted boy by nature and a creature of solitude by nurture, Cosmas is unprepared to deal with boisterous crowds and manipulative personalities. But daily he is learning to navigate and conquer this new world and his belief - in his purpose, in the Threefold God and the Eye of Justice - have yet to fail him.
  • Ideal: Destiny. What higher calling could one have than fate? I intend to find my purpose and fulfill my destiny no matter what.
  • Bond: Sister Mirjam and the Eye of Justice. Sister Mirjam raised me as her son and the Eye of Justice as their brother. They disappeared along with the rest of the Holy City. I will find them...once I found the Traitor and the artifact they stole.
  • Flaw i: Narcissism. "...Sister Mirjam, I know you are fond of the boy and he is certainly gifted. Special. But I have...fears that he sees himself as the manifestation of the Threefold and not simply Their instrument..."
  • Flaw ii: Naivety. "...He knows nothing of the outside world, has never had to struggle or discern when he is being taken advantage of. We have protected him for as long as we can, but when we are gone I fear he will be eaten alive..."

Backstory:

Farmers found the bodies of sparrows, frozen in mid flight, scattered through their fields of wheat. Casks of fine wine were opened only to find the red liquid soured into dark vinegar and run through with the floating detritus of drowned maggots. A foal was born with no eyes, its mouth sealed over by its own flesh, its life naught but a few brief moments of pain and darkness. But above all it was the fog, impossibly thick and chilling, that sent the Holy City of Elturel, naturally predisposed to superstition, into a quiet frenzy of prayer and ritual that lasted through the night.

But it was not a dark night for all. Mirjam Viattomuus, a humble librarian, found on the steps of her home a swaddled babe. Oddly the child did not cry, but its skin had such a blue pallor that she feared it was not long for this world. Unable to bear children herself, she took the child in and in time brought him to live in the manor of Lord Galio Clover - the elder noble who acted as a patron for the secret religious sect she was herself a part of: the Eye of Justice, those who believed in the true divine form, the Threefold God. The church and its followers were deemed heretics and hunted by the High Observer and the Order of the Companion that ruled over Elturgard. The Eye of Justice had long since gone to ground, hiding their beliefs and performing their good deeds only at night by the light of the Companion itself.

The boy grew strong, brought up in the teachings of the Threefold. He was never allowed to leave the mansion grounds for fear that his strange appearance would draw the attention -and ire- of the theocracy. But Sister Mirjam did her bestow her knowledge on him, visiting him near daily for lessons. Commander Burtheart, a retired paladin of the church, took to training the boy in the ways of the knight. His lessons were much harsher than the good Sister's and his attitude to the young and arrogant Cosmas much more stern.

It was not a bad life by any means, but it was a small one. A bubble, one built out of a love and protection, but a bubble nonetheless. And one day it did as bubbles always do - it burst. The pin came in the form of Gwendolyn the Traitor. A young warrior of immense talent, slated to be the next The Leader of the Eye of JusticeShadowbane. For reasons unknown she slew Lord Clover slain along with one of his guards, left Commander Burtheart wounded and, worst of all, she stole Vindicator, the blade that belonged to the founder of their order. Cosmas left the Holy City that same night, vowing to track down the traitor and the win back the blade that represented the pride of their order.

It was only days later as he neared the gates of Baldur's Gate, following the Gwendolyn's trail, that news of what had happened to the city of Elturel reached his ears...

RP Sample:

Last edited by Vislands; 11-26-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Koookan, you're welcome

Tyeal, Sounds great! I'll get you some feedback later tonight

Astra, great! Can't wait to see it.

hafrogman, Vislands, awesome apps so far!

Application Deadline Revision: November 29 11:59pm EST

I think it is safe to say that we have enough people to play In fact, I'm toying with the idea of running two 6 player groups.

I'm honestly flattered by the turn out and the level of quality applications that I've seen. Thanks for the trust you have in me. I can't wait for us to get started
Old 11-22-2019, 01:24 PM
The helpful polar bear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8652
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
My application for Ravinia is finally complete and ready for some feedback!

Last edited by Retry; 11-22-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Blink and you'll miss it.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8613
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Application
left-aligned image
Name: Bethrynna Liadon
Race: Sun Elf
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Scholar

Character Appearance: Bethrynna ("Beth") is middling height, about five-and-a-half feet tall, with a thin, yet sturdy build. She wears her golden, shoulder-length hair loose, with strands that fall across her green elven eyes.

While not a great beauty, by elven standards, most consider her "cute but serious", especially when she's involved in study, consuming books with her thirst for knowledge and love of reading. Her slender, dexterous hands seem to be made for the intricacies of spell-weaving, and her normally soft-spoken voice takes on an edge of command and power as she calls forth spells.

Character Personality: Beth is shy, but not particularly awkward. She doesn't feel uncomfortable around people, she just usually lets others do the talking until she has something to say. She has a strong practical side, with somewhat less frivolity than the stereotypical elf, though she does find beauty in patterns and complex processes. She dislikes violence, but understands the need for it at times. In general, her magical studies tend to focus more on controlling the battlefield and supporting her allies while hindering enemies, rather than direct damage and destruction. Rather than moving the pieces, she manipulates the chessboard.

Two Personality Traits: Beth has a history of remaining calm and level-headed, even during stressful or dangerous situations. She also tends to observe behavior far more often than she contributes, which may seem standoffish to others.
One Background Ideal: Magic is like music, a very intimate, personal form of self-expression that demonstrates who you really are.
One Background Bond: Beth considers her instructor to be like a father to her, and would do anything to help or protect him.
Two Character Flaws: Beth tends to rely on logic and learning to the point of neglecting or disdaining impulsive, emotional, or "gut" feelings. Also, her seclusion and arcane studies have left her somewhat naive to the way the "real world" works.
Summary: Bethrynna is a studious, scholarly individual who has trouble relating to anything that can't be explained with facts, logic, or reason. She's far closer to her books than to other people, with the exception of her instructor. While her knowledge is vast, she has a long way to go to develop good instincts and strong relationships with others.

Backstory:

Bethrynna waited in the chamber, arms folded within her sleeves, still as a statue. She knew this routine well...when the master, "Wizard"Istar Galinndan, summoned, she simply showed up as quickly as possible, and waited. When she'd first come under his tutelage, many years ago (by her reckoning, anyway. To him, it was yesterday.), she'd thought that perhaps he was testing her resolve, her patience, or perhaps her mental and physical endurance. By now, she'd realized that he was simply busy with something else, and would get to her when he had the chance. Or, she thought with a mental smirk that never touched her lips, perhaps a bit of both.

Finally, the master turned to address her with a smile upon his aging features. He wasn't the oldest elf in Cormanthyr, but there weren't very many more who were older. Almost none more powerful and respected. Beth respected him as a teacher, feared him as a great mage, and loved him as a father. "Ah," he said after regarding her a moment, "you've arrived. Come and sit, child. I'm afraid I have very serious news."

This was alarming, as her master was not given to exaggeration or the dramatic. Sitting quickly, she watched him as he settled carefully onto the cushions of the sofa. Leaning back toward her, the smile was gone, and replaced with the sharp, penetrating gaze of a mighty wizard who'd lost none of his mental acuity. "We've received a message from Remallia," he said, "concerning the city of Baldur's Gate. She sends word that there is some sort of unrest, something that has apparently caused thousands of refugees to swarm the city gates seeking solace and safety."

"Unrest?" replied Beth. "Human cities, particularly large ones, always suffer unrest, due to the squalid living conditions, poverty, class structure..." Her master raised a hand, silencing her exposition, and shook his head. "Remallia was unsure, or perhaps being vague, as to the exact nature of the unrest, but it appears to be more than the typical problems of a large city." Arching a brow, he added pointedly, "For if it were thought to be merely that, she wouldn't have bothered to send a message, and I wouldn't have bothered to summon you."

Flushing slightly, Beth just gave a quick nod of apology and continued to listen. "If it was enough to alarm a wizard of Remallia's ability, it bears investigation. However, since it might also be nothing...as you say, typical unrest...there's no need for either her or I to interrupt our current duties. That, I'm afraid, is where you come in, my dear..."

Beth was not entirely thrilled with the way the rest of the conversation went. She was quite comfortable studying where she was, and exploring locally, for the time being. She was, however, intrigued of the thought of observing a foreign culture. Her master even hinted that the libraries of Baldur's Gate had books and knowledge that might not be entirely out of place in his own library, both in age and the quality and quantity of information contained therein. It surprised Beth to hear her master even suggest such a thing! It had the intended effect of piquing her interest and stopping her from protesting further.

By the time Beth was packed and on her way to Baldur's Gate, she was almost optimistic about the opportunities, and began forming plans in her mind about how to investigate the situation that lay before her.

RP Sample: "I was still a little girl," Beth told her mentor as they both sat cross-legged across from each other near the fireplace. The warmth and crackle of the flames was soothing, and so Beth felt more relaxed talking to the older elf about her past. "Naill...that's what we called Naivara before she chose her adult name...and I were out gathering flowers in the forest at midday." Beth smiled at the memory, "Even then, she had to almost drag me along to get me out. I preferred reading to exploring, back then."

"I see not much has changed," smiled her mentor, causing Beth to smirk and shrug slightly.

"Not in that regard, no. We weren't terribly far from the village, and the area was familiar to us, so we felt fairly safe. Then, while I was picking some alfirin, I noticed a...a blood trail." Beth wasn't bothered as much by the sight of blood as she had been, but she recalled how it felt when she was younger, seeing the dark red stain on the green leaves. "I called Naill over to see, and we followed the trail, thinking it was perhaps a wounded animal escaping a hunter."

"When we finally tracked down the source," Beth recalled, "it wasn't an animal at all, but rather a goblin!" Her mentor's eyebrows raised at that. A goblin in the elven forest, close enough for children to find! "It was wounded badly," Beth continued, "and was so weak it could barely lift its head to glare at us." Beth's eyes looked far away, back into the past, "I remember feeling sorry for it. I think it was actually scared. Perhaps not of us specifically, but of being hurt, and alone..."

Shaking her head to lose the memory, she went on. "It started begging us to let it live...it sounded pitiful. It told us that it was on its first raid, and hadn't even wanted to go, but the goblin chief forced him to. It promised that it would go back home if we allowed it to live." Smiling ruefully at her mentor, she confessed, "Part of me knew it was probably lying, I suppose. The pain and fear was real, and possibly also having no choice. But I also knew that it was dangerous, even wounded. Still..." She shook her head again, shrugging. "It was only one goblin, and I wanted to show mercy, let it go." Beth chuckled, "Naill thought I was crazy. She wanted to run back and find someone from the village, an adult, to handle the goblin. Meanwhile, the goblin kept begging for its life, begging to be let go."

"Finally, we agreed that Naill would run back to find someone, and I would watch the goblin. I confess, I was harboring thoughts of giving it a head start on getting away." With a sigh, she added, "After Naill was out of sight, I turned to tell the goblin to leave as quickly as it could." Frowning, she rubbed her arms at the memory, her voice softening, "It had already grabbed a rock, and was coming to attack me."

She paused, recollecting the unpleasant memory, and her mentor gently prodded her to continue. "You obviously survived," he pointed out. "What happened when he attacked?"

"I cast my natural spell," she said, referring to the birthright of all golden elves. "In this case, I created a shower of sparks right in the goblin's face, and screamed bloody murder." As her mentor nodded approval, she said, "The goblin ran one way, I ran the other. Soon after, Naill came back with one of the hunters, who tracked the goblin down and slew it." Beth spread her hands out in a helpless gesture.

"And what did you learn from your experience?" asked the mentor. "Do you regret trying to save the goblin, or feel you did the right thing? Keep in mind, had the goblin escaped, it might've been back to attack again."

Beth nodded, "That's what Naill had said. And the hunter. And my parents." She gave a small smile. "Was it a mistake? Probably, considering the danger. But do I regret it?"

Beth simply shrugged again, and gave a small shake of her head. "I don't feel mercy is something one should ever regret. Show good judgement with, yes. Regret? No..."

Her mentor simply watched Beth a moment, then leaned back to enjoy the fire's warmth.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; 12-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 254
Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysUntold View Post

I think it is safe to say that we have enough people to play In fact, I'm toying with the idea of running two 6 player groups.

I'm honestly flattered by the turn out and the level of quality applications that I've seen. Thanks for the trust you have in me. I can't wait for us to get started
Oh man, oh man. That like... *Pulls out a calculator* ...doubles my chances! So pumped!
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The Rat Queen, Welcome! Excited to see what character you come up with.
Knightfall, perfect. You're now my official accountant. :P

Last edited by DaysUntold; 11-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Superior Sorcerer Supreme

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5395
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal