DnD5e Wylde Wood: A Broken Isles Campaign - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 5 4 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3427
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Wylde Wood: A Broken Isles Campaign

Wylde Wood
~~ A Broken Isles Campaign ~~

Broken IslesThe world has been destroyed. For reasons lost to time, a great cataclysm rocked the entire planet with powerful earthquakes. Massive fissures opened, releasing molten rock and sea water. In the span of minutes, entire cities were destroyed and countless billions were killed. Then, a deafening rumble and great cracking sounds filled the air. The ground began to rise.

Practitioners of the arcane arts called upon their abilities and men and women of faith called upon their gods, both to the same effect. Magic was gone and the gods became silent.

The survivors of the Breaking watched in surreal horror as islands of floating rock began to ascend around them. Some were the size of continents, others barely large enough for a person to stand on. In varying speeds and directions they ascended, but all had one thing in common, a dull yellow crystal covered the underside of them all.

The islands eventually stopped rising at various altitudes, but most continued to move in a slow orbit around what was left of the planet below. Islands crashed into one another, often to catastrophic effect, for nearly a hundred years, until those that were left settled into peaceful orbits.

The people that had managed to survive found themselves trapped on their floating bits of earth with only the resources that happened to be there. Many islands' inhabitants died from lack of water, food or exposure. Some floated so high they could no longer breath.

Over 500 years passed in this way, with most people finding simply surviving occupied most of their time. Farming, hunting and simple trades became necessities. Some islands had lakes large enough where even fishing was possible. The magical and technological crutches the world had previously depended on were gone. Magic became a thing of legend and the races born of it so to withered and died.

The Feywild
right-aligned image
The Feywild was no exception to the events that occurred on the Prime Material Plane. As a place born of wild magic, all of its denizens quickly began to whither and die. The noble Eldrin, including Titania and even the Winter Queen, determined to see some aspect of the fey survive, gathered at the Summer Court and devised a desperate plan. Instead of waiting to die as others were already, they poured the last vestiges of their own magic and life force into a spell of creation and protection.

Out of this final act of sacrifice, a magical seed was born, able to withstand the forces behind the Breaking and provide sustenance to the tiniest of the fey. As the Plane of Faerie was brought crashing into the Prime Material Plane and destroyed in the process, the magical seed found purchase on one of the many newly floating isles littering the sky. Upward it rose on its new home, rapidly taking root and growing to incredible height, the newly born Elder Tree the last remnant of the once proud fey.

Wylde Wood

Thriving and feeding off of the Elder Tree's unique form of magic, will-o'-wisps began to appear, their luminescent bodies gently floating through the air. It was not long before other faerie folk began to appear as well. Fairies, pixies, brownies and the like were born from the magic of the Elder Tree and began caring for their new home.

Alongside the tiny fey, the Elder Tree also began to have an effect on some of the animals and other creatures that lived in the newly named Wylde Wood. Gifted with sentience and a more humanoid form, these creatures began to create civilizations for themselves that rivaled some of those created by the races of man also struggling to survive on isles of their own. Several hundred years have passed in this way with the creatures of Wylde Wood finding peace on their magical isle in the sky.

Now, rumors begin spreading of a growing darkness on the eastern side of the isle, while strange and dangerous creatures are whispered to be seen. Queen Lumina, the queen of the fairies and self imposed protector of all of Wylde Wood, had sent a scouting party to ascertain the validity of these rumors. They never returned.

Having no need for a standing army of any kind, Queen Lumina has put out a call to all denizens of Wylde Wood to assemble an adventuring party, tasked with searching for her lost scouts and dealing with whatever darkness has come to her their isle.

Campaign Information
  • Deadline: December 9th
  • Game System: Dungeons and Dragons: 5th Edition
  • Tone: High-adventure, High-Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Fable/Fairy Tale vibe
  • Elements: The campaign will begin in Wylde Wood for a few levels moving through a set adventure with a good mix of combat and exploration. From there, the rails are removed and players can determine their own fates in the wide world.
  • Posting Rate: Ideally twice per week
  • Party Size: Shooting for 5-6 players
  • Broken Isles Connection: There are currently two other adventuring groups in the Broken Isles campaign, which can be found HERE. The Wylde Wood group will exist in the same world as the other two groups and could conceivably run into one another.

Character Creation
  • Starting Level: 1
  • Ability Scores: 27-Point Buy
  • Classes/Backgrounds Allowed: Anything (Some setting-breaking specializations excluded) officially published by WotC (UA is fine) (No Mystic) (No technology-based classes).
    The following specializations are not allowed:
    • Warlock: The Fiend, The Great Old One, The Hexblade, The Lurker in the Deep
    • Wizard: School of Invention
    • Sorcerer: Shadow Magic, Draconic Bloodline, Aberrant Mind
  • Races Allowed: List of available races found HERE
  • Stating Wealth/Equipment: As per Class/Background

Application Information
  • Name:
  • Class:
  • Alignment:
  • Background:
  • Character Appearance: Please include an image as well as a short description of their appearance and mannerisms.
    Character Personality: Please include a paragraph or two that describe your character. Also, please specify at least the following:
    • Two Traits
    • One Ideal
    • One Bond
    • One Flaw
  • Backstory: Please try to provide at least two paragraphs that detail what your character has been doing in Wylde Wood up until now and why they are answering Queen Lumina's call.
  • RP Sample: Please provide a paragraph or two of your character performing some key aspect of their class/race/background/etc.

UpdatesClass Specializations: Some questions were being asked about whether certain specializations are allowed. I have updated the class list above to reflect which specializations are not allowed. If any of these restrictions destroy the idea for a character you were building, PM and let's see if we can find a way to make it work. They are not allowed due to narrative reasons, not mechanical ones, so we can probably find a way to make them work.

PlayerCharacterClassRaceStatus
ImverosHabrorn "Hab" StoutdreamerCervaPaladinWITHDREW
DanshiiWithWulfsWittabrand CrookshanksMapachDruid(Circle of Spores)WITHDREW
girlplayLily the RitualistFairy (Sprite)WizardCOMPLETE
PopCultureBardYangara LonesoulStrigBarbarianWIP
telcontarRocDusk (Rook) CorvumWizard (Diviner)COMPLETE
Quick BenTimothy GraysonVulpinFighterCOMPLETE
NortwodeRennis RedleafVulpinBard (College of Blades)COMPLETE
KhamLuc Deborah UnderRootGallus (Huden)MonkWITHDREW
Treble83Warryn "Acorn" TimbersBrownieCleric (Nature Domain)COMPLETE
RJonesyWalter WillowthorneHedgeWild Magic SorcererCOMPLETE
KnightfallMagus TwigrixFairy (Pixie)RogueCOMPLETE
XalnagaHedrickStrigCleric (Life)COMPLETE
PseudonymousImogeneSable LumaRangerWIP
GrouchyConall MacCallaigHorned StrigFighterCOMPLETE
AvnerBrother Iolar O'DamhCervaMonk (4 Elements)COMPLETE
WyromTomman DartmouthVulpinRogue (Thief)WIP
GoombaJoshSwift RansaidFairy (Sprite)Fighter (Eldritch Knight)COMPLETE
JoriaVeria WhitewingGallus (huden)Monk (Way of the long death)WIP
routzongXalros SkyaxCorvum (Kindled)Rogue (Arcane Trickster)WIP

Last edited by Silent Rain; Yesterday at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1241
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Hoo. That looks...really cool. I'm in the other group though! Is it ok to double-dip? I don't wanna be greedy.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20814
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Looks awesome Silent! I've always had a soft spot for animal characters.

Quick question!

Is any kind of magic allowed for this group?

In the flavor text, it mentions no arcane and no divine magic. The other two groups are also sans magic, but some of the setting's races mention spellcasters in their flavor text as well as some having spell-like abilities. It also says any official classes, but I wanted to be 100% clear before I mull ideas around to see if I find one I like!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@SalmonMax I was expecting that question. While my knee-jerk reaction is to say that I would prefer unique players in each of the groups, I could be convinced to allow some "double dipping" if a stellar app came along.

@Imveros Thanks, Imveros. I know, right. Take one look at the Strig and tell me how you could not play one of those.

Excellent question about magic. The Elder Tree is rather unique in that it is their deity, source of arcane magic and also potentially a warlock patron as well.

@Everyone If you are thinking of a specialization you want to take, but not sure if it makes sense in the setting (i.e. a fiend warlock), please ask.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1241
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Understood, Silent.

I had a notion for a Hexblade Sprite warlock, but perhaps it would be better if I sit back and let other applications roll in first.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20814
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
The Strig was pretty great, but I found myself drawn more to the humblefolk. It was tough not to fall in love with the Hedge, but the concept below clicked harder. I'll let it bake, and flesh it out over the week

WIP
right-aligned image
Name: Habrorn "Hab" Stoutdreamer
Race: Cerva
Class: Paladin
Alignment: N
Background: Entertainer (Storyteller)

Character Appearance: Please include an image as well as a short description of their appearance and mannerisms.

Character Personality: Please include a paragraph or two that describe your character. Also, please specify at least the following:
Two Traits
One Ideal
One Bond
One Flaw

Backstory: Please try to provide at least two paragraphs that detail what your character has been doing in Wylde Wood up until now and why they are answering Queen Lumina's call.

RP Sample: Please provide a paragraph or two of your character performing some key aspect of their class/race/background/etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_o8hvuuwdvz1t3m0m6o1_500.png
Views:	352
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	82255  
Old 11-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 978
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Interested. Will follow up.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 PM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3873
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
This. Is. Awesome. So many flavorful races! That and I want to play a game with @Imveros!

Application Complete!
left-aligned image
Name: Wittabrand Crookshanks
Race: Mapach
Class: Druid (Spores)
Alignment: CN
Background: Ex-Outlaw (Urban Bounty Hunter)

Character Appearance: Wittabrand only barely reaches 2 feet in height and is lighter than sixty pounds, but likes to pretend that he's taller and bigger than that. He has rough jet-black fur with streaks of white on his face and ringing his tail, and is usually seen wearing a vest and long coat made of dark leather. The black rings around his eyes mark him distinctly as a Mapach, as well as his sack that's almost always more than half-full of trinkets and small pieces of scrap. He can sometimes be seen twirling a crude walking stick that's different every time, which he uses to part foliage, steady himself from a stumble, or whack some silly moper foolish enough to do him harm.

Character Personality: Wit always tended to work alone, but is slowly working to trust feyfolk, birdfolk, and other humblefolk since he was pardoned by Queen Lumina. He's more at home in the wilds than in any indoor or underground setting, though he doesn't mind warm weather. If given a choice, he would rather sleep outdoors than in; that's just always how he's been. He's deeply respectful of the Elder Tree, and takes it personally when someone intends any kind of insult or harm to it. Wit also likes collecting various pieces of junk and trinkets, as evidenced by the soft jingle and jangle his pack made. Wit's dream in life is to build a sustainable mushroom garden, both for food, sundry needs, and ornamentation. But that's more of a long term goal; right now, there's adventure to be had!
  • Traits: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it. I always have a plan for when things go wrong. Sort of.
  • Ideal: Innovation. From life to death back to life; always moving forward. Whatever the problem or challenge, there's always a way around it!
  • Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
  • Flaw: I sometimes bite more than I can chew, especially when pushed.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; 11-19-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12623
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Character App
left-aligned image

Name: Lily the Ritualist
Race: Sprite
Class: Wizard
Alignment: neutral good
Background: Criminal

Backstory: Lily is a kind, gentle soul. She would have been perfectly happy living a quiet, peaceful life; that's not the childhood that she had. Her mother was very fond of "bad boys" and joined a gang of criminals who survived through banditry and raiding ruins of the old world. Little Lily earned her keep eventually but picking up some of the skills of her community and learning magic from the book of a dead wizard. Unfortunately, it was the wizard's ritual book. Other than a few cantrips, Lily only learned ritual spells. They proved useful nonetheless in protecting the camp and supplying information. In time, however, her role in supporting such wicked people caused Lily to flee the camp. Queen Lumina's call seemed like a golden opportunity to do something good for a change and scrub her damaged karma.

Character Appearance: Lily is slightly tall for a Sprite, if 13-inches in height can be considered tall. She feels that her legs are one of her best physical assets and often wears skirts of silk or linen that show them off. Otherwise, her ensembles are breezy and unencumbering. She tries to travel as light a possible, but the trappings of magic require her to carry various component and what-not. Her prized possession is an amber orb that she uses as a spell focus. When you hang out with a band of thieves, personal possessions become precious and have to be safeguarded with a watchful eye. Lily is soft and gentle in her treatment of people and anything that seems the least bit fragile. She's not likely to burst into sudden action or be forceful. She relies on her magic for things that she could probably do just as easy physically.

Character Personality: Like many Fey, Lily's moods swing wildly and capriciously. She can be quiet and shy, playful and surprisingly gregarious, worried and sympathetic. One things she definitely isn't comfortable with is violence; She knows that she'll have to deal with it soon enough, being an adventurer now. She secretly dreads it. One things she has decided not to keep to herself any longer is her opinion. Throughout her youth, her thoughts weren't particularly welcome by her mother or the bandit leadership. It'll take some getting used to, especially to not sound bossy. The last thing she wants to do it upset her allies and friends, so she'll often approach a conversation diplomatically. Lily is a bit of a clean-freak and tries to keep up her appearance as much as is possible in the circumstance. She's not vain but "feels gross" easily. She has an affinity for water and warm breezes.

Personal characteristics:
  • Trait 1: I'd rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
  • Trait 2: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me that I can't do it.
  • Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not any ideals.
  • Bond: I wish to redeem myself for the crimes that I have committed.
  • Flaw: I have a tell that reveals that I'm lying (can't not giggle).

Last edited by girlplay; 11-20-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Some questions have been asked about whether certain specializations will be allowed. I have updated the class info in the initial post with more information about this.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 AM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17243
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
The Wildest Soul
Yangara Lonesoul
Outcast, Wanderer, Seeker, Bravo

CG Strig Barbarian
Background: Archeologist

The Plumage

Squat and solid, Gar bears the bulky frame common to the Strig though somewhat shorter than average. Ten years of wandering the Wood has done a lot to maintain Gar's muscled physique but little to improve his plumage. The edges of his feathers, soft gray interspersed with white, are frayed. Bare patches, pale lines of scar tissue from long-healed injuries, dot his chest and wings. He does little to hide his body, viewing a lack of protective layers as a testament to his own fortitude.

Hollow Bones

Gar is every bit the rugged individualist, self-motivated in his search for answers. Among birdfolk his behavior might be viewed as isolationist or distant but the truth is more complex. His early experiences with his own people have left him uncomfortable around them and his wanderings have exposed him to the other denizens of the Wylde Wood. His curiosity about their cultures has driven him to engage with them to learn more about their views on the Elder Tree and the magics that reside within it. Everyone has a unique take on what makes the Wood special and no story can be discounted if one hopes to uncover the greatest mysteries.

Ideal - There is not one single truth, but a thousandfold perceptions that each deserve a voice.
Bond - I know that the magic of the Elder Tree flows through us all and I respect that connection.
Flaw - I grow restless after staying in one place for too long, fear at missing new opportunities spurring me ever forward.

Past is Prologue

Gar was always different. Strong like his kin, sure, but more focused on the intangible things. Why did he always feel braver when facing east from his home? Why could he feel the pulse of the Wood when he dug his claws into the ground? These questions and a thousand more were constant distractions from his labor and training. Chastisement from his tutors when he couldn't focus on a specific fighting stance or battle tactic grated at him, each admonishment feeling like a punishment for being free-thinking. Unlike other wild-warriors who feed on anger, he found that if he opened himself up to the ebb and flow of energy in the world around him he could focus his instincts and strengthen his resolve. While this lent him greater strength as a warrior it did not endear him to his instructors and their more rigid styles. As he left youth behind it just felt like more of a struggle to remain among them than to pursue his own path, a choice that his own mother encouraged.

The life of a wanderer is not an easy one. Traveling by air, moving from one canopy village to another, offered safety but also little divergence of belief. The ground, while more treacherous, brought him into contact with different folk and unique cultures. Choosing to move among the cerva and jerbeen, to scuttle across the earth and view the sky from far below, did little to endear him to his own people but opened the way to enlightenment that would have been lost to him in the trees. His gregarious nature and honest curiosity earned him friendships wherever he went, but those connections were always transient when the call to wander set upon him. It was the ruins that most intrigued him, the empty shells of buildings built for strange folk long gone. He would stop to study them, speculating on their details, but that pull always kept him moving.

Following the ambient magic brought him to the Elder Tree and his connection to it was immediately apparent. He could feel the soft thrum beneath his feathers as he stood beside it, the flickering jolts of some unseen power that bound him. Meeting with the various fae of the Wood left him with a strange sense of kinship, as though some part of them was also part of him. His natural protective instincts found focus in these smaller folk. While he remained apart from their societies, preferring to reside alone in the rotting ruins beneath the Elder Tree in his search for knowledge, he was always eager to respond to any calls for aid from the fair folk.

Once Upon a Climb

RP Sample: Please provide a paragraph or two of your character performing some key aspect of their class/race/background/etc.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 11-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
telcontar telcontar
Withdrawing my application due to real life issues getting in the way.

I've kept a copy on my computer, so if things sort themselves out before the deadline, I will resubmit my application. However, at this stage it looks unlikely.

Last edited by telcontar; 11-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Joria Joria Joria
This seems interesting, I'll think of something I can use here.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6042
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Ooh, this looks interesting! I like the idea of this story existing in the same world as two other concurrent campaigns-- very cool! And I've been curious about the Humblewood races. I'm gonna try and get something written up for this, assuming I can make up my mind on a character.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2098
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Timothy Grayson
Race: Vulpin
Class: Fighter
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Folk Hero

Backstory: Timothy is a product of his fallen Vulpin heritage but he is dead set against being defined by it. His family were once nobles among the ascendant Vulpin clans, making their riches from raids and strength. But those days are long past. Timothy was raised by a family of tradesmen with stories of powerful raiders and heroes from days gone by. In his teens, a corrupt merchant tried to take advantage of his family. With heady ideas about righting the wrongs done to his family, Timothy pulled off a daring heist on the widely disliked business man. Intending to keep the stolen money for himself, his plan went off track and he ended up spilling the loot into the town well where, for days, every bucket drawn contained a few gold coins.

Eventually, people discovered it was Timothy's deeds and misinterpreting them, they hailed him as a hero. Knowing the truth, Timothy is uncomfortable with this characterization, but he was even more uncomfortable with the angry merchant discovering who had stolen from him. When the Queen's summons came, Timothy was only too eager to abandon the situation and leave to seek anonymity elsewhere.

Character Appearance: Timothy is characteristically Vulpin. Sleek and muscular, he moves with a confident grace and projects a wild, creative intelligence. Usually good-natured, most of the other race's preconception about Vulpin's make his friendly grin seem sinister rather than welcoming. Trying to put forth a softer appearance, Timothy can often come across as less than serious, although that evaporates quickly when it is time to take action.

Character Personality: Timothy comes across, for the most part, as down right jovial. Raised on stories of daring heroes, he prefers to view himself as a dashing, swashbuckling figure. He has a firm sense of right and wrong which only occasionally matches up with societies views on the subject, but that strength of character often leads him to displays of actual goodness (rather than the storybook heroism he professes). Timothy can come across as a bit foppish during downtime, but with the typical intelligence of the Vulpin, he is capable of deadly focus during action.

Personal characteristics:
  • Two Traits
    When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
    Im confident in my own abilities and do what I can to instill confidence in others.
  • One Ideal
    Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
  • One Bond
    I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
  • One Flaw
    The people who knew me when I was young could discover my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.

RP Sample:
No Good DeedTimothy slipped through the darkness, the small chest heavy, weighing him down, slowing him. Stealing the merchant's gold had been almost laughably easy. He must have never expected anyone to cross him. For good reason... The thugs he called guards pursuing Timothy accounted for most of that reason.

The small alley between shops suddenly opened up onto the town square. Trying to cross as quickly as his muscles would carry him and the coin-heavy box, Timothy only made it halfway across the square before he heard the heavy footfalls of his pursuers. He wasn't going to be able to get away. But there was no way he was giving the money back. Maybe if he could hide it?

His hip bumped the stone surrounding the town well. The well! Clenching his sharp Vulpin teeth for a moment, cursing himself for a fool, Timothy upended the chest into the well and turned to flee, unencumbered by the stolen goods. As he rushed away, a part of his brain not concerned for his immediate survival registered a snapping sound that he would only later realize was the release of a poorly constructed chest latch.