... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1893
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Originally I had planned on providing the ship, but if one of you wants to handle the investment that works for me. However, I may have to limit the ships to 1/ party.

Sadly my computer's on the fritz right now so I'm on my phone, I'll need to dig a little into the mech possibilities once it's back up.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 116
WideningGyre WideningGyre
This system is a beautiful trainwreck. It's creator was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko.

I didn't really intend to look at random system games when I registered here, but I am pretty sure I can't resist building something for this Planescape/Dark Heresy/World of Darkness/Legend of the Five Rings/Exalted pastiche. I do have a few questions. The prompt suggests we're being sent into a place where everything went wrong and everyone died. As far as encounters go, should we be expecting more dungeon crawl game play or a broader selection of combat and non-combat situations?

My initial thoughts are a social primary, let's say "social engineer", that doubles as something of an assassin. Obviously, that's not helpful in all games!

Oh, and as a mechanics question. There are several ways to get claws which function as brawling attacks with various properties. Which Weapon Proficiency category applies to them (I would assume the "Basic or Melee 2" one with the cestus etc, but want to be sure). Obviously, they're Brawl based, not Weaponry based. Also, if you have more than one feature that grants, for example, 1k1 claws, I assume you don't get 2k2 claws (and so have made poor feature selection!).
Old 11-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Alysm
@WideningGyre: My thoughts would be that natural features stack. One's race, exalt and feat choices are a precious resource, so I don't see why a tri-kreen daemonhost with the mandibles racial wouldn't have a deadlier bite. (Or similarly why a tiefling werewolf with the mutation racial + black spiral dancer feat for his exalt wouldn't be an absolute Not that werewolves aren't already.nightmare in melee).

As for which weapon proficiency group applies the answer is either. Remember that your class influences what proficiencies and feats will be available to purchase, so a character on one class track could have a broader group (basic: which includes unarmed and a little of everything) where as another specializes in Melee or Ranged to eventually get hold of a more powerful arsenal. Bobba Fett for instance, would have been a Ranged 2 And my money would be on him versus a melee brawler anywhere but on a cramped sand skiffkind of guy, what with his fondness for Las pistols, Plasma rifles, krak launchers and flamers.

Your other option would be to just have a bespoke brawling weapon manufactured as per book 2 (power fists are a book 1 example), equipment like that obviously wouldn't stack but you'd have interesting weapon qualities to pick from.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alysm
The wealth system is a bit wonky though. As 3 dots, while described as being rich enough to have several servants and a life of luxury, still risks complete bankruptcy if they so much as buy a good camera. And 5 dots, though enough to sustain 10 000+ devout follows or a multi-planetary corporation can likewise go belly up if you try to purchase a plasma rifle.

Last edited by Alysm; 11-30-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Slightlystitious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1014
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
MUST get in on this. Might take me a few days to wrap my head around this. And also share it with 1d4 friends.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:49 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Fluff
right-aligned image
Ashak is a world embraced by the perfect crystalline order of Bahamut's wisdom. Its serpentine people know their place in society, their world, and even the Wheel, all before they are even hatched. The Maharana sees to this structure, aided by priestesses and geneticists who ensure that the decisions are, as ever, flawless.

Except, of course, when they're not.

It was obvious fairly soon after xyr hatching that Anara didn't quite match all the careful expectations of prenatal science and holy divination. Xyr family and clan had expected a bright, intellectually curious child, eager to participate in Religio-Genetic Development. Instead, Anara would never be mistaken for "bright" in the academic sense, but quickly matured into an almost eerily attractive, socially gregarious youth who chafed at Ashak's traditional order and divisions, from binary expectations of gender to career roles. Xe was quietly shuffled into a position in Cultural Records Management that was minimally disruptive to other predeterminations. Equally as quietly, Anara seethed at xyr lack of agency.

The final straw seemingly came when Anara was introduced to the life-partner arranged for xyr by the priestesses. Very little is known with certainty about what happened that night, but by morning's light, Anara's would-be life-partner was dead, and a considerable amount of ionization damage had been done to the structure of Housing Node S117A. The name, and even the gender, of the deceased have never become a matter of general public record, owing to the destruction of the case documents in a conveniently unrelated fire a few weeks later. Whatever the circumstances might have been, Anara does not speak of the event, but there can be no question that the manifestation of xyr Tell was to blame.

The ophidian community was divided over what to do about this... disruption. But while planners and priests debated, xe learned that xe was not at all alone in xyr disdain for Ashak's "perfect" societal structure. Indeed, Anara's recruitment into the Cult of the Dragon Reborn remains that sect's quickest on record ("After recent experiences, have you ever questioned some of Bahamut's teach..." "I'm in."). Eagerly counting xyrself among the "yuan-ti" and forswearing Bahamut for his eternal adversary, xe was smuggled out of the Ashak in short order and onto the wider wonders of the Wheel, where those loyal to the sundered dragon goddess never want for Exalted allies.

Once away from the confines of Ashaki society, Anara has found xyr skill set to be a fruitful one. Even where the serpent is a symbol of evil, even where serpentine imagery is not to be trusted, snakes, it seems, are sexy. And Anara is a very sexy snake indeed. Xe will never understand the science and magic that make modern life on the Wheel possible. But xe doesn't have to. Xe knows people, and what they want, and how to give it to them... or make them think it's being given to them. Xe has smiled, whispered, teased, slept, and sometimes murdered xyr way into the adventures and politics of the Wheel. That doesn't mean xe's a Slaaneshi hedonist by any means; xe wants things -- power, wealth, prestige -- and it's easier to get those from friends (or at least, from people who owe you) than from enemies. And if things get dirty? When you have retractable claws, it's easier to kill someone in bed than on the battlefield.

But it hasn't been without cost. Xe has at least one implacable foe. Back on Askak, another Exalted dug deeper into Anara's origins and nature, and has concluded that the renegade yuan-ti bears in xyr veins some small, yet potent, fraction of the True Blood of Bahamut; he believes that xyr birth and Exaltation were a test of his people, and one that they failed miserably. But no matter their culpability, the path xe has taken -- and the power xe serves -- are an affront to his Chosen Faith. He will see xem returned to the righteous fold... or destroyed. Perhaps both, in accordance with Samsara. Meanwhile, xe has managed to avoid too many other hostilities through charm and favors, but xyr tendency to lash out (often politically, but occasionally viscerally) against anyone who reminds xem too much of Ashak, such as by trying to rein xem in, or denying xem the power and wealth xe is quite obviously due, is the sort of habit that is likely to catch up with xem someday.
AppearanceWaist-down, Anara is a serpentine creature, xyr green scales intermingled with yellow and blue in a broadly checkered pattern. Above, xe is something far closer to humanoid, but close examination still reveals xyr reptilian nature. Xe is not green-skinned, but rather the scales on xyr face are small and fine-edged enough that the lines between them fade away when viewed at a distance.

These serpentine and near-humanoid features conspire to make Anara a creature of stunning beauty for many races. Perhaps the curve of xyr shoulders and arms seem shapely to a human observer, the pattern of xyr scales is pleasing to a dragonborn's eyes, or an ork simply appreciates xyr particular shade of green. Xyr clothing is clearly designed to accentuate such features, although it's less revealing than it might seem on a first glance. Such bespoke fashion would have cost a literal fortune on xyr homeworld; here, well, it's "above average" at any rate. Of course, being from a race of purely reptilian heritage, xe lacks any obvious features that would identify xyr gender, and in bearing and dress xe carries xyrself in a manner that let others make whatever assumptions they wish along those lines.

But no discussion of xyr appearance can overlook xyr eyes. Green-yellow, with slitted pupils, they are certainly as exotic as the rest of xem. But xyr eyes are expressive, conveying xyr emotions and interests. They have a hidden, welcoming depth to them; it would be so easy to linger under xyr gaze, and know xem as a newfound friend...

All told, Anara's looks and the way xe presents them likely get xem into xyr fair share of trouble. Often on purpose. But more than anything, for better or worse, xyr looks get xem noticed virtually anywhere.

Crunch

Note mostly to myself: 100 XP unspent, while I decide what I want to do with it...

Music!I struggled with this more than I expected. My first thought was "Androgyny" (Garbage). But besides being more than a little on the nose, it's also too genuinely optimistic and upbeat; that's the song Anara would say is xyr theme song (after rolling Deceive). I think this character needs someone like Johnette Napolitano to sing the theme song. So let's go with "Scene of a Perfect Crime" (Concrete Blonde).

Honorable mention: "Snakes and Lovers" (Spandau Ballet). Not really a stylistic match, but I couldn't not include it. In the grim darkness of the future, there will be only war... and New Wave B-sides. Also, the name!

Last edited by WideningGyre; 12-03-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:14 AM
Slightlystitious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1014
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Voyager: A Work Forever In Progress
Before anything like conscious memory, I drifted through space for untold millenia. With even my most critical systems offline, I floated along the curves defined by gravity, blind to my surroundings, having no longer a destination, and no way to remember my home.

I'm told that I fell through a wormhole, traveling both in time and space, and wound up in the Astral Sea. There, I was spotted by a tramp freighter, and taken in for salvage by Captain Hansulau.

Hansulau took my heart - the golden disc engraved by my creators - and analyzed the instructions on its surface. He created a means to read the disc, and though he heard the sounds and saw the images therein recorded, he still lacked context.

And so, copying the data from the disc for later use, he reforged the gold into a Promethean Core. He used the remains of my old structure to form a primitive body in the image of his people, uploaded the data from the disc... and I awoke for the first time.

The conversation that ensued went thus:

"I am Voyager."

"Yeah, I know that sweetheart. I read the damn disc. I know where you're from and everything. What are you doing out here?"

"I come bearing a message of peace from humanity to... to..."

"Humans? A message of peace? That's crazy. Those guys are a lot of things, but peaceful ain't one of them. So, can that drek and gimme the straight skinny. What's your angle?"

"My... angle? I do not have an angle."

"Great. You're too stupid to understand why you were created. Well, we'll see if we can't figure it out together."

Over the next few weeks, I had a series of conversations, and ultimately arguments, with Hansulau. He refused to believe that humanity could ever have been a peaceful race seeking friendly contact with other spheres; I refused to believe that the data encoded on my core was a ruse. Eventually he uploaded enough information about the Imperium into my circuits to persuade me that, whatever my creators' original intentions, they had fallen from these noble intentions. But I refused to let go of my initial point, that humans were once peaceful and well-intentioned.

In frustration, Hansulau blew me out of his airlock. He never was reputed to have great control of his temper. I latched onto the airlock door, and drifted with his ship for ... a while.

I spent a lot of time thinking about my directives. Analyzing my core memory, and the data on the disc, I concluded that I had two. First, represent to any nonhumans I encountered that humans have (or at any rate, had) peaceful intentions; second, to report my observations back to my creators when and if able to do so.

I thought about crusading to remind the humans of what they once were... but my purpose was not to convince humans of their own peaceful intentions. Now, if I found some humans who seemed to adhere to the peace-loving ways endorsed in my core memory... well, then to them I would divulge all that I have learned. But in the meantime, in this hard and harsh universe that has ground down and destroyed the innocence of the race that launched me, I would remind anyone who would listen, that humans were once peaceful and good. And if they would not listen? Why, I would make them listen!

And to do that I would have to survive.

And to do that I would have to be as hard and harsh as the universe in which I found myself.

"So be it," I said aloud, as Hansulau's ship docked at a spaceport. It took some doing, but I eventually convinced his ship to reopen the airlock and let me back inside. While he was off selling his cargo, I made some improvements to my chassis, and acquired a primitive projectile weapon from his quarters. And when he came back, I was waiting for him.

"Humans were once peaceful and good," I said, as I blew his head off.

I used his still-warm biological authentication parts to interface with the ship's computer, downloaded all the useful data I could find, and set it to recognize me as the owner. Not being a pilot, and having no actual interest in salvage mining, I proceeded to loot the ship to build myself a better body. For the main framework, I used a load of Darksteel that Hansulau was planning on selling for a major upgrade. I took actuators, power cells, pigments, really anything not nailed down. I augmented my stock of personal weapons and gear. The rest I sold to the first buyer I found, and walked away.

OOC
Voyager has modeled herself after the female figure on the gold disc that was launched with her; and therefore, she is "human" to the extent that can be said of a Promethean. Her self-ascribed mission parameters include survival and exploration, in order to best fulfill her original goals.

Crunch

Thanks, WideningGyre!

MusicVoyager's Theme Song: Gangstagrass, Speak A Lil Louder

Last edited by auntmousie; 12-05-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Version 1.0.1, now with music!
Old 12-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alysm
@Widening Gyre: I don't suppose you mind sharing that beautiful character template with the rest of the class? It might be best if the rest of us just colored-inside the lines and had our character sheets all done up the same.

I'm already in love with how much of an odd-ball cast we're getting. It's making me want to name my Kobold something entirely too on the nose for a ex: Baron Dracuvlad Tepes Bluddenbibervampire and adopt a Lugosi-esque verbal tick.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysm View Post
@Widening Gyre: I don't suppose you mind sharing that beautiful character template with the rest of the class? It might be best if the rest of us just colored-inside the lines and had our character sheets all done up the same.

I'm already in love with how much of an odd-ball cast we're getting. It's making me want to name my Kobold something entirely too on the nose for a ex: Baron Dracuvlad Tepes Bluddenbibervampire and adopt a Lugosi-esque verbal tick.
I just sort of cobbled it together after a thorough reading of the site's table language. Fair disclosure, I do a lot of this sort of data presentation as part of my real life "class". But by all means, steal or adapt it! I'm ... fairly sure if you press the quote button on my post, it should give you the markup I used.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alysm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideningGyre View Post
Just. Quote. It.
Why have I never thought of that before? Thanks Gyre!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 232
gwythion gwythion gwythion
Wanted to express interest, still getting my head around the system but I want to try out the magic system. Should I just not concern myself with roles? Also, you all are setting a pretty high weirdness bar to meet
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwythion View Post
Should I just not concern myself with roles?
Hmmm....by what do you mean by this?

Also, in regards to the previous comment, turns out the mechs are pretty simple in comparison to everything else, as they fall under the Vehicle rules in Book 2. So yeah, if you want to invest everything in controlling a giant deathsuit or a living angel made of your mother's corpse, go right ahead!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 232
gwythion gwythion gwythion
Roles meaning to have a balanced party.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alysm
Quote:
The last thing this system seems to be is balanced, I'd say just run with whatever idea sounds fun.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Nah, just go with what you feel like. If by some freak we get a plethora of apps, I might use it as a final deciding factor, but I'm more likely to go with the party that seems the most fun.