Wallace Wallace Wallace Wallace Wallace
Dawn of Destiny

Game NameDawn of Destiny
Game SystemStar Wars RPG
ThemeHero or villain?
FlavourComing-of-age, hero's journey, dark vs light
Plot Summary
Star Wars: Dawn of Destiny

The village of Csamiri lies on the crest of a mountain ridge between two worlds. The wind carries rain from the jungles in the west up to the mountains where they irrigate the fields of the village and create a lush environment. The rain rarely carries over the mountain tops and as a result the other side is arid and dry. A desert stretches out before it in the east and on the other side of one-hundred and fifty kilometers of wavy dunes sits the nearest town of Clayton. It operates a small starport to supply it and to transport its ceramic goods to buyers in the region. Some villagers are sent out in the village's only landspeeder twice a year for necessary supplies and the last time this happened, a few months back, the word was that a group called The First Order had occupied the tiny starport.

"Are you paying attention?" Mayna, the village healer, roused you from wherever your thoughts had wandered. She sighed and bent over Jamen to put her ear to his mouth and listened to the wheezing. She pulled the blanket down and placed her hand on his chest. Jamen squirmed on the cot when he felt her hand. Mayna hushed him as she continued to feel. She moved her hand to his throat then and kept it there for a few more moments.
"He has a fever," she said, "which, as I've told you before, means he has an infection. He can barely breath which means it's either in the chest or the throat."
Little Kleo came into the hut. He had been told by his mother to stay outside while Mayna and her apprentice healer checked out what was wrong with Kleo's father. Mayna didn't stop the little boy, though, as he advanced until he was standing near the head of his father.
"Is my pa going to be ok?" He asked as he watched his father struggle to breath.
"Did your pa have a pain in his throat the last few days?" She asked him. "Maybe he has been coughing or rubbing his throat?"
The little boy shook his head.
Mayna produced a comforting smile and nodded. "He'll be back in the fields in no time at all."
"Well, that's certainly good news," came Lillia's voice from the hut's entrance. "Kleo, I thought I told you to stay with your brothers and sister. Go on, now, get."
Kleo gave a short whine but didn't raise his voice at his mother as she ran past him and out of the hut. Mayna scratched her forehead which made the bead bracelets on her arm jingle.
"It's in the chest, then," Mayna explained. "We don't have bacta but there are some things in the jungle that will help him. If his condition doesn't get any worse then we have a few days before the infection does serious damage."
"Maybe I can ask someone to go to Clayton to pick up some bacta," Lillia said.
"He needs medicine one way or another or he will be worse of," the village healer was straightforward with Lillia, "but none of us have the credits to buy bacta."
"I could ask the chieftain to send someone with the speeder. There must be some work in the city. They could buy the bacta."
"Really, Lily," Mayna urged, "we shouldn't be more than a day out to get the medicine and the cooling unit will keep him well for a while. If we're not back by dawn tomorrow then we can resort to other matters. It's harvesting season and we can't miss anyone."
"Ok." Lillia sounded defeated.
She stepped out of the hut and closed the flap to stop the sun and heat pouring in. The hum of the village's only generator droned through the silence as the hut cooled quickly to a more comfortable temperature. The single light affixed high to the central post cast big shadows along the clay-lined walls.
"Go and get your travel bag," Mayna urged you. "We leave at once."

- - -

Starting as a teenager in a small village on a backwater planet, your character will slowly become the center of a struggle that will determine the outcome of more lives than they have ever known.
This is a Star Wars Saga Edition solo game. I am looking for 1 player for now but I may add a supporting cast once the story progresses further. Although there's a lean towards story-telling, characters will be tested in every sense of the word and I hope I can challenge the central character's player to write an engaging story with me that others can jump into along the way.
A posting rate of 2 or 3 posts per week is ideal.
There will be some house rules regarding some skills (combining Climb, Jump and Swim into Athletics; removing Gather Information and splitting it into Persuasion and Computer Use; some free Knowledge skills at character creation) and I will allow the player(s) to break some rules to pick talents, feats or other things if they can show me why it would fit their character and/or the story.
The biggest change will be a complete overhaul of Use the Force, Force and Destiny points, and Dark Side Score. My objective is to create a more thrilling engagement for the main character with regards to their choices in the dark and light. My thoughts mostly regard the completely eschew progression of Use the Force as a skill versus defences and the overabundance of Force Points without drawbacks.
For the main character, we will start at level 1 but I like to level up quickly. You gain Force-Sensitive for free. You will not be able to obtain levels in Jedi until you find a mentor in that class.
From the opening post below you may infer that the technology level at the start is rather low. Don't let this influence your character choices too much. There's some technology and as such a character would still be able to learn skills like Mechanics, Computer Use or Pilot. Ultimately, your choices at creation will show me in which ways you want your character to be challenged. That doesn't mean I won't be stepping outside of their comfort zone now and again but I will attempt to utilize the choices you make as much as possible.
There's no need to make a character sheet straightaway. I will make my selection based on the character's background. It is still a good idea to include which class you want to start out with. I will flesh out the descriptions of NPCs more when I know the main character's species. The village is a single-species community. The village has between 75-100 inhabitants. Mayna is free to be used as a relative if desired. Even though you are her appointed apprentice, your interest in the healing arts may vary as much as you desire. I will not oblige you to take the Treat Injury skill or knowledge skills related to this field. If starting as a noble, it might be a good idea to make your character related to the chieftain. Feel free to make up who that is.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread so others can enjoy the fruits of the answers as well.

Last edited by Wallace; 11-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Shai-Hulud

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
House Rules

Feats, Skills and Equipment
  • Climb, Jump, and Swim are all incorporated into a new skill called Athletics (Str), a class skill for Jedi, Scouts and Soldiers. Any racial bonus to one of those skills applies only to that application of Athletics.
  • Gather Information is no longer a skill. It will be handled through Persuasion or Use Computer checks, as appropriate. If you would gain a numerical bonus, you gain that bonus to applications of those skills used to gather information. If you would gain a bonus Skill Training or Skill Focus feat, you instead gain that feat for either Persuasion or Use Computer.
  • Skill Focus gives a +1 when you gain it and automatically increases by +1 every level thereafter until it reaches +5.
  • Camouflage Ponchos are tied to a specific terrain, and will only work for that terrain type. The available terrains are: arctic, desert, forest, mountain, plains, or swamp.
  • Based on your character's abilities and backstory, you will be given a choice of three different equipment packages made for your character by the GM. If there are any extra credits that come with the package, you may spend those at character creation as you see fit.
  • The Dodge feat is changed: "You gain a +1 dodge bonus to Reflex Defense."
  • The Martial Arts feat line's dodge bonus only applies against melee attacks and attacks from opponents within your threatened area.

Starting class feats options
You are allowed to swap out some feats of your starting class. This does not apply when you multiclass although you may always choose Skill Training in one of the new class skills over any of the other feats.

Noble:
  • You may swap out Linguist for Skill Focus, Surgical Expertise, Recall [Force Unleashed], Impulsive Flight [Scum and Villainy] or Wary Defender [Clone Wars] (Linguist will be next to useless since I do not intend to focus any part of the game on "lost in translation" challenges)
  • You may swap out Weapon Proficiency (Pistols) for Improvised Weapon Mastery [Unknown Regions], Weapon Proficiency (Advanced Melee Weapons), Weapon Proficiency (Rifles), Combat Trickery [Unknown Regions] or Fight Through Pain [Galaxy at War]

Scoundrel:
  • You may swap out Point Blank Shot for Skill Focus, Dodge, Poison Resistance [KotOR], Bad Feeling [Force Unleashed], Scavenger [Force Unleashed], Close Combat Escape [Scum and Villainy] or Impulsive Flight [Scum and Villainy]
  • You may swap out Weapon Proficiency (Pistols) for Improvised Weapon Mastery [Unknown Regions], Weapon Proficiency (Advanced Melee Weapons), Weapon Proficiency (Rifles), Combat Trickery [Unknown Regions] or Fight Through Pain [Galaxy at War]

Scout:
  • You may swap out Shake it Off for Skill Focus, Armor Proficiency (Light), Dodge, Point Blank Shot, Poison Resistance [KotOR], Bad Feeling [Force Unleashed] or Wilderness First Aid [Unknown Regions]
  • You may swap out Weapon Proficiency (Rifles) for Improvised Weapon Mastery [Unknown Regions], Weapon Proficiency (Advanced Melee Weapons) or Armor Proficiency (Light)

Soldier:
  • You may swap out Armor Proficiency (Medium) for Skill Focus, Dodge, Point Blank Shot, Melee Defense or Toughness.
  • You may swap out Weapon Proficiency (Rifles) for Improvised Weapon Mastery [Unknown Regions], Weapon Proficiency (Advanced Melee Weapons), Martial Arts I, Power Attack,

Force Attack
Use the Force remains unchanged except where you use it to target another character's defenses. In such a case, you instead roll a Force Attack which is equal to 1d20 + your heroic level + your charisma modifier

Last edited by Wallace; 12-03-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:03 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2025
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
What Star Wars RPG are you using, the 2000 WOTC version, Edge of the empire version, or Star wars SAGA edition ?
Old 11-27-2019, 02:19 AM
Shai-Hulud

Tools
User Statistics
It's Saga Edition. I have all the material so nothing is off the table when it comes to character creation
Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Sounds good, Definite interest here.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Shai-Hulud

Tools
User Statistics
Updated the house rules. I might still design an alternative system for Force Points and Dark Side Score but it shouldn't be much more complicated than what it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasontheswift View Post
Sounds good, Definite interest here.
Looking forward to seeing a character concept. Let me know if you need more information in the setting.

Last edited by Wallace; 12-03-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Will you go ahead if it is just one applicant ? A Solo game can have its perks.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2101
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I’m surprised there hasn’t been more interest on here so far. Saw the post and it looked really awesome!

I’ll have a character app up sometime this weekend.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Shai-Hulud

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasontheswift View Post
Will you go ahead if it is just one applicant ? A Solo game can have its perks.
It will be a solo game for the first 3 or 4 chapters. The first player should reach about level 3 to 5 at that point. The second player will start at level 2 plus non-heroic levels to match the first player.

Depending on where the story goes, this second character will have its own background and maybe one or two scenes by themselves. I have a lot worked out but I prefer to let the character decide where the story goes rather than letting the story decide where the character goes. Even so, a second player will add some spice to the mix and maybe 3 or 4 chapters after that we can look to add another player although I haven't worked things out that far (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Iím surprised there hasnít been more interest on here so far. Saw the post and it looked really awesome!

Iíll have a character app up sometime this weekend.
I thought so too if I do say so myself! Looking forward to your concept.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
Family, Duty, Destiny, ResponsibilityName: Addom Ran-toth
Class: Noble
Physical Description:

Background:

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 12-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Question: I played a SWRPG Saga game a long time ago with a friend who played an Ayrou; only now as I’m interested in playing one am I finding out it’s technically just a widely accepted homebrew inclusion (+2 Wis, -2 Con). To clarify, ayrou are absolutely a real Star Wars race (very cool, graceful bird folk), they just weren’t brought into the system I guess. Would you be open to that?

My concept would probably be a force sensitive ayrou who eventually follows the path of a grey Jedi.

Last edited by Touketsu; 12-07-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Shai-Hulud

Tools
User Statistics
@Jason:
I see you are trying to hook me with some Dune
I absolutely love the concept of a teenager torn between life and duty. Yours is what the tribe might call a Child of the Mountain, standing tall between the teeming jungle and the desert wastes but never moving either way. The fact that the mountains are his favorite place only emphasizes that point.
You might want to cut down on the number of sisters a bit. The whole tribe has less than a hundred members so over a dozen children seems excessive in that regard. However, some adults leave for Clayton to find work, finding the ways of Csamiri too constricting or primitive and as such that would keep the demographic rather young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
Question: I played a SWRPG Saga game a long time ago with a friend who played an Ayrou; only now as I’m interested in playing one am I finding out it’s technically just a widely accepted homebrew inclusion (+2 Wis, -2 Con). To clarify, ayrou are absolutely a real Star Wars race (very cool, graceful bird folk), they just weren’t brought into the system I guess. Would you be open to that?

My concept would probably be a force sensitive ayrou who eventually follows the path of a grey Jedi.
Ayrou kidding me, of course it's fine! I'll show myself out...
The Ayrou were in the Ultimate Alien Anthology of the old Star Wars D20 roleplaying game. There are basically two ways we could handle this:
1) You could use the rules for creating a near-human. Replace the bonus feat or the bonus skill of a human with the -2 Con, +2 Wis ability adjustment.
2) If I'm to create a similar version as the UAA had where "Trustworthy" was a bonus feat then there's no comparable feat like that in Saga. I would take a talent related to Persuasion and improve on it a bit. For example, in the Fringer talent tree, "Barter" normally allows Persuasion rerolls to haggle but accepting the reroll. For the Ayrou species I would make it so they would be able to reroll once per encounter and keep the better result.

As for following a path, it would be helpful to know if you have an idea of which classes and prestige classes you would be interested in taking in the future. However, you will not be able to take levels in Jedi without someone mentoring you in it. All in all, I'm looking for a player and a character first and a character sheet later.

Last edited by Wallace; 12-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
@Wallace, thanks for that. Good things to consider, I cut the sisters down to seven. I'm glad you're down for the concept, Definitely a strong homage to Dune but where this character would end up even I don't know. A good platform to begin always seems to allow for an easier transition I find.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Birds of a Feather
left-aligned image
Krei Belaris
Race: Ayrou
Class: Scout

Krei is a bright-eyed, spirited young man, with a love for exploration and discovery. He is clever, playful, and a little sarcastic at times. However, beneath his somewhat cavalier exterior is an old soul tempered by painful lessons and observation, and past experience has made him careful about being needlessly reckless. He is patient, but outspoken, and while he has a tendency to undercut authority with his casual demeanor, he is never intentionally disrespectful to anyone who has not gotten on his bad side. His slightly eclectic personality can be summed up as such: Krei lives every day with passion, because you never know how much time you have left… but he will never put his loved ones in danger because of his own recklessness ever again. Still, when the safety of an ally is in question, there is very little the young ayrou will not do if it means keeping them from harm.

KreiBackground:

Last edited by Touketsu; Yesterday at 12:43 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Ayrou kidding me, of course it's fine! I'll show myself out...
That almost physically hurt me to read. Well done.