Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
FeralWombat FeralWombat FeralWombat FeralWombat
Rogue Trader: Man-of-war

Game NameRogue Trader: Man-of-war
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeRogue Trader is a game of exploration, adventure, and the horrors of the unknown, following one of the eponymous Rogue Traders and his crew as they explore the uncharted depths of space for gold, glory and the God-Emperor.
FlavourScience Fiction
Plot Summary
Posting Rate2x per week

Looking For3 - 4 Players

Game
right-aligned image
Thank you for your interest in the Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader Game: Man-of-war. Iím excited to tell you a little about the envisaged game, how I hope to run it and the chance to meet new people from around the globe.

At the heart of the story arc is the search for a long-lost, nigh-mythical world. However, I am hoping that I can start forming a story around the emergent stories that my Players decide on. The wonderful thing about Rogue Trader is it is very open-ended. That being said, I hope to provide basic hooks and direction to the story and provide an environment where the players can explore their options whether it be founding a colony, exploring for an ancient treasure, establishing a trade route, hunting down a lost relic of the house or sabotaging a rival house.

But, baby steps. My plan is to run a short introductory adventure intended to give players a chance to experience our respective play styles and create a simple foundation on which to build far grander adventures. The adventure follows the playerís efforts to find and salvage a vessel lost in the Maw, and encapsulates the core themes of the game, profit and exploration. Based on the depth of knowledge Iíve seen on this forum Iím sure 90 percent of you have actually played out this scenario before. However, I am committed to ensuring a solid grounding by figuring out what works for us as a group and believe this is a good bet to give the longevity of the group itís best chance of success.

GameplayI prefer my campaigns to focus on character interactions and story. I want you to make a character you can roleplay and is fun to play. I want the characters to be brought to life by you. It is a very real threat that I want you to fear, not for a mechanical reason but a personal reason because you enjoy this character. I hope to help make the game challenging for your character, and fun for you.

The game itself will be objective-based where goals are broken down into tasks and their completion results in reward. In this way, I hope to move the story along in a loosely defined direction and players are rewarded for their efforts in writing and problem-solving capacities.

Basic Mechanics
  • The game will use the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook and the Into The Storm expansion.
  • Please bear in mind that, at least for the moment, I have decided to run the Rogue Trader as an NPC for a number of reasons.
  • Xenos will be limited to Orks and Kroot

Setting Info
left-aligned image
The adventures are set in the Koronus Expanse, an untamed region of space amongst the Halo Stars at the edge of Imperial Space. The Koronus Expanse is a place of adventures and danger in equal measure. Xenos, pirates, heretics, and worshippers of Dark Gods await those who venture through the Maw, and ancient horrors lurk amongst countless lost and undiscovered worlds in the depths of the Expanse. Many brave and foolhardy Explorers have set off from Port Wander to try their luck and wrest their fortune from the Koronus Expanse with a stout ship and their Warrant of Trade. Few return.

It is against this backdrop that when Horatio Thpartacus Hornblower XXIII was faced with the option of which of his siblings to support in the claim for rights to his Dynasty, he examined his brothers and sisters and concluded that the most qualified person was himself. Daring to succeed where his family had failed in the past, he took his family flagship and set off for the Koronus Expanse where he would make his fortune and cement his claim to the family Dynasty, or return home and face the consequences of his ambition proved wrong.

Armed with nought but the finely tailored clothes on his back, an awesomely destructive void ship and enough wealth to purchase two or three colony worlds, the Hornblower Dynasty has set out for fame and fortune in the Koronus Expanse!

Applications
right-aligned image
Instead of the traditional submission of characters with stats and background (which we can flesh out later), I would prefer if you could submit:
  • Your anticipated role within the crew;
  • A brief character concept;
two paragraphs:
  • A motivation of what you bring to an RPG game (i.e. experience, artistic ability, enthusiasm, dedication as a poster, plays nice with others), and
  • Secondly an example of your writing ability (i.e. a post that you are particularly proud of, or anything really that demonstrates your writing style).
Again, please bear in mind that the Rogue Trader position is going to be run as an NPC (at least initially).

About MeIíve recently come back to role-playing after a 10(?) 15(?) year hiatus. I loved all things fantasy and played D&D, D&D2nd and 3.5ed until my eyes bled. I played TTRPG with friends as both a DM and player, and although new to the forum, PbP is not new to me and Iíve DMíed a number of campaigns by email.

This being said there are a few risks players of the game need to know about. Iím VERY new to the forum. Iíve got severe ring rust in terms of RPGís and being a DM, and although Iím not new to Warhammer 40k, this is my first Rogue Trader Campaign.

So yes, risk is definitely involved in this campaign, but I would encourage you to give me the benefit of the doubt and I will endeavour to create an enjoyable and reliable game.

Closing Date15th December 2019

Application Roster

Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Reserving this for future comms
Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2766
Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade Nade
Dang, I adore space opera but don’t have any familiarity with Rogue Trader
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nade View Post
Dang, I adore space opera but don’t have any familiarity with Rogue Trader
I don't believe that to be an insurmountable problem. I'm sure the people in the forum have a much deeper understanding of the mechanics and lore than I do. However, in terms of character creation, I have a few spreadsheets that can guide you. Rogue Trader does seem to particularly number crunchy but I believe the basics are reasonably simple to grasp. The versatility of Rogue Trader lends itself to mass combats, ship battles and a whole host of other types of situational applications. I hope that the 1st adventures are going to be very rules light and more to build rapport within the group.

Basically, if you enjoy Warhammer I hope you'll submit an application.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I shall certainly give it some thought
Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 289
Silverfist Silverfist Silverfist
It is wonderful to see a 40k game on here. I seem to always miss them when I check for one. I don't have this book unluckily. If I can get a hold of it I will see if I can think something up.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1893
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Aaaawwwwwwwwwww yeah! 40K!

I know just the girl I'm gonna bring back, I just have to make sure i made her with just those two books.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfist View Post
It is wonderful to see a 40k game on here. I seem to always miss them when I check for one. I don't have this book unluckily. If I can get a hold of it I will see if I can think something up.
To me, the rules and character sheet knock up are really secondary. I think they can be taught relatively quickly and easily. I think it's much harder to find someone with a solid idea of a character to play and the writing ability to convey that.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumUnicorn View Post
Aaaawwwwwwwwwww yeah! 40K!

I know just the girl I'm gonna bring back, I just have to make sure i made her with just those two books.
Excellent! I look forward to meeting her. I hope you don't mind me saying so, The Coffers of Ravenholm caught my eye and it looks amazing!
Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2063
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
I'd would very much like to submit an application for this game! I've played one or two campaigns before (three if you count Black Crusade), so I'm familiar with the system .

Currently I'm working on my character application, but I think it's best if I sleep on it right now, and work out the details tomorrow. I'm considering playing a void master, though- someone who started as just another cog in an industrial machine, but worked his way up, longing to see what was beyond the petty squalor of the colony he was born in, and eventually succeeded but made loads of enemies along the way. Still, lots of details to flesh out.

I'll try and get a proper application up tomorrow!
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
I'd would very much like to submit an application for this game! I've played one or two campaigns before (three if you count Black Crusade), so I'm familiar with the system .

Currently I'm working on my character application, but I think it's best if I sleep on it right now, and work out the details tomorrow. I'm considering playing a void master, though- someone who started as just another cog in an industrial machine, but worked his way up, longing to see what was beyond the petty squalor of the colony he was born in, and eventually succeeded but made loads of enemies along the way. Still, lots of details to flesh out.

I'll try and get a proper application up tomorrow!
Awesome, thank you! I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Withdrawn

Last edited by Nade; 12-08-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5173
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
Hey! I've been interested in playing some Rouge Trader or 40k for a long time. I'm a long time player of the 40k tabletop game (and Battlefleet Gothic which I adore) and I know a lot about the galaxy. I've even briefly DMed a game of rouge trader once, though a while ago and I'll need to brush up on the rules again.

So, super long-shot question here. It is highly likely the answer is no but I'll never know if I don't ask right? Any chance an exiled space marine could fit into this campaign? I'd be willing to build him as a Rouge Trader Arch Militant, or with Deathwatch with whatever handicaps you might think will work. He probably wouldn't have his armour for sure.

If not, I'll see what else I can come up with. A Navigator perhaps.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code H View Post
Hey! I've been interested in playing some Rouge Trader or 40k for a long time. I'm a long time player of the 40k tabletop game (and Battlefleet Gothic which I adore) and I know a lot about the galaxy. I've even briefly DMed a game of rouge trader once, though a while ago and I'll need to brush up on the rules again.

So, super long-shot question here. It is highly likely the answer is no but I'll never know if I don't ask right? Any chance an exiled space marine could fit into this campaign? I'd be willing to build him as a Rouge Trader Arch Militant, or with Deathwatch with whatever handicaps you might think will work. He probably wouldn't have his armour for sure.

If not, I'll see what else I can come up with. A Navigator perhaps.
Hi Code H,

I'm going to give you a "Yes" with a "But".

One of the EMPRAH's Angels-of-Battle-Made-Flesh, exiled and living under the radar in the furthest backwater reaches of the galaxy working as a kicker of ass sounds good to me! I'm trying to limit the number of rules I have to remember so your suggestion of playing him as a Rogue Trader Arch-Militant is a welcome one.

By all means, send in an application!

Last edited by FeralWombat; 12-04-2019 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling. doh
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2063
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Lucius Holt
right-aligned image

Your anticipated role within the crew
To me, Rogue Trader is about exploring distant and exotic worlds- I'd like to play a character who embodies that wanderlust, perhaps preventing the crew from being stuck in one place too long, keeping their eye on the goal of reaching this mythical planet the captain talked about. Mechanically speaking, vehicular and ship-based combat is one of the few aspects of the game I haven't had too much experience with, so I'd like to try my hand at that. Finally, since most of my characters in Rogue Trader, Black Crusade and Only War have been melee characters, I'd like to approach combat as a ranged character this time around.

A brief character concept
Lucius Holt was born to a family of labourers, on Anchylus, a remote Mechanicus colony in the Koprulu sector, far removed from the light of Terra. The colony, governed by a council of Adeptus Mechanicus adherents, both harvested the planet's flora and refined the unique compounds within those plants. Through this process, they supplied the Koprulu sector with medicine, as well as a good amount of sanctioned narcotics. One day, however, the colony received word that one such narcotic had been outlawed, and they were to seize production immediately.

Several enterpreneuring individuals in the colony, however, quickly took to seizing the supplies rather than destroying them, manufactured more of these narcotics, and sold them among the colony's population. The Mechanicus council didn't care- as long as quotas were met, they hardly concerned themselves with what their workforce did in its preciously scarce free time. This state of affairs resulted in a blossoming narcotics trade, and rivalries ensured that several gangs claimed parts of the colony as their territory. It was this environment into which Lucius was born, and once he was old enough to hold a gun, he joined a gang- the Matillans- and worked for them as an enforcer.

Yet Lucius dared to dream of rising above his station- quite literally. In his free time, he would travel away from the city and the thick clouds of industrial smoke to gaze at the stars, and wondered what might be waiting for him there. Deciding the squalor of Anchylus was not for him, Lucius started keeping more and more of the profits he made dealing narcotics to himself, saving up for transport off the planet. The Matillan crime baron eventually found out, but by then Lucius had bought passage on a merchant ship, leaving everything he knew behind to explore the stars. His only reminder of his youth were the electoos on his neck, wrists and chest, marking him as a former Matillan.

Lucius' first voyage into space was cut short quickly, however, when the merchant ship he'd boarded was drafted into an ongoing war against the Eldar. Every man was expected to help in the war effort, and Lucius was no exception. For a full three years, he battled the Eldar, growing ever more resentful of this species, which kept him anchored in place even after escaping his home planet.

Eventually the war ended, and Lucius had acquitted himself admirably. Throughout the war, he had risen in ranks thanks to his uncompromising nature- the Eldar and their assets were to be destroyed, and the best way of doing so was with overwhelming force. In the hostile, dog-eat-dog environment Lucius had grown up in, he had learned that half measures were never enough. The best way to deal with a rival gang was by making a bloody example of half their number- the only difference between the gangers and the Eldar, to Lucius, was that there were far more Xenos to make examples of.

After the war, Lucius decided he wanted to see ever more distant stars. Staying in one place for too long made him feel uncomfortable, and being planetside reminded him too much of the time he spent confined on Anchylus. Eventually, he found a place aboard a Rogue Trader vessel, and eventually worked his way up through the ranks. Finally, he was promoted to the vaunted rank of void master, given the monumental responsibility of guiding the ship he loved so much through the depths of the void. The crew might feel Lucius is a bit odd, gruff and aloof, more concerned with distant stars than with profit, closer to his ship than to any living person on it, but they know he does his job well enough. And Lucius couldn't be happier than at the helm of the ship, finding and exploring new worlds before setting off into the blackness of space once more...

A motivation of what you bring to an RPG game
As I said before, I've played several play-by-post games using this system (I actually forgot about a few), so I have experience playing a missionary, navigator, Dark Heresy guardsman, Black Crusade chosen, Only War weapons' specialist and (briefly) an Only War priest. As you can see, that's a Not counting all the DnD, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: the Masquerade and WFRP charactersrather diverse set of characters- mechanically, but more so in terms of personality. I like challenging myself by roleplaying lots of different characters, and I think I've done a pretty good job of portraying each of them as fleshed-out individuals (at the very least, I had fun playing them!). I love getting to know my characters through roleplay, seeing what makes them tick and writing them as or, well, whatever they arehuman as possible- making them more than just their career.

I'm very dedicated to posting frequently and consistently- so far I've seen every game I was accepted for through until its end, and look, we all get sick once in a whileon the off chance where RL prevents me from posting, I make sure to let people know what's up. I like working with other players- the best campaigns are the ones where you end up getting to know the other players, after all, and the best way to develop realistic characters is by having them interact with the other characters around them. If anyone needs help with the rules, I'm also happy to help out with that.

Writing example
- https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...42#post8336742 - the aforementioned Black Crusade character (I absolutely loved writing him!)
- https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...03#post8291103 - since the last one was mostly action, I thought I'd add a second post about my bard trying to talk a barbarian out of a Context: The festival guards wanted the barbarian to bind his sword into its scabbard, while the barbarian... disagreed.fight

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 12-05-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: fixed a closing tag