OOC Notes, Revenge Plans, Vitriol - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 04:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Alright. If anyone else wants to give it a try that would be awesome.

Unless I'm allowed to roll again to see if I can make anything else out. lol
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 04:44 AM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
To keep from getting bogged down in multiple translation rolls, let do this:

Any animal can still make one Clever roll (DC 9) to read any 3 lines from either book.

If the group needs to decipher more, they can either A) ask Alexa to read passages aloud or B) agree to spend time collaborating on a more thorough translation themselves.

Keep in mind: these are big books, stuffed with tons of information, most of which will be completely irrelevant. Translating the books wholesale would take considerable time, and you only have a week to complete your task.

Last edited by Mallothi; Sep 30th, 2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 09:32 AM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundel val Estar View Post
OOCYes, I am aware Raindrops is an idiot
I just burst into laughter, I need to give some more rep before I can give you more because that post was pretty funny to me
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
Oh yes. Time to research the best way to translate that horrid noise of a cat puking into text.

Nothing wakes you from a dead sleep faster than that gag-reflex starting up
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
100%
"You better not be on the couch! Or the middle of the stairs! Or my bed!"

Do we need to roll in order to remember anything regarding Abigail's hair? *couch* a brush or comb *cough*

Last edited by lydklein; Sep 30th, 2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Oops!
Make that a silver spoon. What do i roll to either look for or rememeber what/where a silver spoon is?
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
On spoons@Everyone: In all the time you've known the Witch she's never used a silver spoon that you recall. In fact, everyone who comes to visit always comments on how handsome her hand-carved wooden spoons are.

Of course, you are still welcome to search the cottage for secret spoons using Sly. It's a DC 9 to either find a spoon or determine conclusively that one doesn't exist.

On travel & the villageIn anticipation of the journey to the village, let's determine each critter's familiarity with Whitebridge and Sweetbriar Forest:
  • Have you explored the forest beyond the Witch's dooryard?
  • Could you make it to the village without a guide?
  • Have you been to the village before?
  • Could you find a specific landmark in the village?
Please reply in the OOC thread. Consider everything posted in response to these questions common knowledge among the Familiars unless otherwise noted.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Good questions.
1. Yes! Brijida routinely goes off to play in the woods daily unless cautioned not to by the Witch.

2.I think so. Would like to think that Brijida is an explorer by nature as well as curious.

3.I think she would have been. Mostly the outskirts and attracted to playing with the domestic (friendlier) animals.(Dogs, cats, gosts, calves, etc)

4. Not sure about that. Im not sure she has dared go into the village itself. But she might know a local animal or two who has and does know the village.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 06:27 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
1. No. Brie never went beyond the garden. The forest was too dangerous and Abigail had both enough food and love for him.

2. Another no. Brie did in fact travel from the village to the witch‘s hut but he didn’t take a straight route and it was a long time ago.

3. Yes. Brie was born in the village and lived his „first life“ there.

4. Yes! Brie is very familiar with the village, at least how the village was before he left it. He would not recognize any new buildings, but he knows all/most old ones.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
With a game like this, my general inclination is to avoid inventing too many additional mechanics, because part of the fun is playing fast and loose with the rules. But, since we're essentially racing against time now, I feel like I should put down some specifics regarding speed and travel.

Based on some cursory Googling, here's each character's movement profile:

NameBase SpeedSprint Speed
Beau0.5 mph5 mph
Brie0.5 mph5 mph
Brijida3 mph30 mph
Ernest2.5 mph25 mph
Raindrops on Roses3.5 mph35 mph

For any relatively short movement (e.g. "I sprint through the door before it closes"), a simple Quick roll will suffice. For sustained travel over many minutes or hours, we will use the "Oregon Trail" Method:

PaceDescriptionQuick roll requiredDangerous
SteadyMove entirely at Base SpeedNoneNo
StrenuousAlternate half Base Speed, half Sprint SpeedDC 8Yes
GruelingMove entirely at Sprint SpeedDC 10Yes

In other words, the quicker the pace, the more difficult and dangerous it is to sustain over great distances. Using roads or paths can reduce the DC for travel, while banging through thick forest will increase it.

Any animal that's traveled from the Witch's cottage to the village of Whitebridge (or vice versa) will remember roughly how long it takes. In Human measurements it's roughly 12 miles.

I've added the above tables to the Them's the Rules thread for later reference.

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 1st, 2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 03:22 AM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
Lowering her snout, she added, 'That is... If we can make it to the village and back in a week? Its been a year since I came here, and I, ah, I probably didn't take the quickest path, stumbling through the forest. I don't know how many days we'll need to walk to the village...'
If the familiars all traveled at “walking rat” speed it would take a full day to reach the village (24 hours). If the smaller animals hitch a ride, and the group makes “walking cat” time, it would only take 5 hours, no rolls required.

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 1st, 2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 04:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer

Away, noble steed!
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 07:53 AM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
  1. Unlikely, with the exception of the path taken from the village to the hut Ernest hasn't extensively explored.
  2. I don't believe so, why bother recalling that place when he has a life of luxury here with the Mistress?
  3. Yes, its where Ernest lived prior to fleeing after losing his eye. I like to think he is unwelcome there due to being a black cat.
  4. Probably, he recalls the village; just not the way there

"I suppose it is the long walk for us then."

I honestly don't know how Ernest would handle such proposition. On one hand: No. He wouldn't belittle himself in such fashion by becoming a mere rodent's steed.

On the other hand: its for the Mistress.....
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:35 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Brijida has room for both rats upon her back, but would atill need to slow down for Cat.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I will be working on my post tonight. Brij should have some more info to share with the others.