Game Thread Chapter 1: Once Upon a Time... - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Ernest
right-aligned image
"Why is it so complicated?! What sort of feet into the ground? Human feet? We now need human feet as well?!" becoming slightly agitated from the whole ordeal the black bombay began to pointlessly groom his fur that was moistened from the dew of the morning air. With Brie running off into house to secure some of the Mistress' hair Ernest paused and turned his attention in the direction of the village "Might we simply take this 'spoon' from the coward? He's taken plenty from us; an eye and a 'spoon,' whatever that is - surely will be easy to part with." Retractable claws extend for a moment as the cat daydream of clawing out an eye from the hunter.

Pausing the cat's eyes drifted down from the direction of the village as did his paw back to the soft ground. "Nevertheless, I agree with the meek one. Let us start here and descend upon the hunter beneath the veil of darkness. I say the sooner the better, lest we need to fend off scavengers from the Mistress."

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Alexa volunteers to stay behind and the rats go hunting for hair

Alexa, an owl
right-aligned image
The hare, Raindrops on Roses, chimes in, "Clearly the answers to restoring our family lie not within that most boring of tomes. Any true challenge is overcome by love, which this blue book is lovingly devoted to."

At this, Alexa finally dares turn hear head back around, toward the others. She laughs a shrieking laugh, "Hoo! Hoo! Fooolish hare! How stooopid! Even the cat knows silly stories won't bring our lady back!" Casting a glance toward the blue book she notices Brie munching on an exposed page, wearing a look of intense concentration, like a tiny sommelier, but for fine papers.

"Shooo!" she cries, "Shooo, rat! Silly or no, this boook belongs to the lady!" She hops clumsily toward the blue tome, beating her wing at Brie.

Meanwhile, the other rat, Beau, seems to have had some luck reading the rest of the resurrection spell. "We need a silver spoon, a doll, a strand of hair from Abigail, plenty of moonlight... And the eyes, of course. In one week," she summarizes.

The rats scamper off, looking for hair. Alexa leaves the books and turns her attention to Ernest, who suggests a plan of action. "Let us start here and descend upon the hunter beneath the veil of darkness. I say the sooner the better, lest we need to fend off scavengers from the Mistress," he says.

"Ooo, wise words, cat, though it pains me to say so." Alexa stretches wide, fanning her feathers and gesturing to where the mage-wing ought to be with her beak. "I am not fit to join yooou." After a moment's thought, she raises her head, looking deep into the forest. "I will stay here and loook for an open place to perform the ritual, one nearby, with soft ground."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
She scurried over to Abigail's corpse, and, trying not to think too hard about what she was doing, checked her burnt head for any useable hairs.
GMBeau picks tentatively about the edges of the scorched patch of garden, looking for stray hairs. She sees swirling ash, glowing cinders, a fragment of bone, but no hair.

Just then, Brie begins to shout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
"Mother’s brush! Her brush, her brush!", called out the rat excitedly. "Wait here, I’ll get us a strand of hair!" Brie ran inside the hut as quickly as he could and started looking for mother’s brush.
GMCalling on his Witch-mother's spirit for aid, Brie scrambles to the top of her vanity and spots her hair-brush. Tangled in the bristles are several beautiful, lustrous hairs.

Last edited by Mallothi; Sep 30th, 2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 02:31 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Brie
right-aligned image
The sight of mother’s glorious, shining, velvety strands of hair upon her hairbrush brought more joy to the rat’s little heart than a huge piece of moldy cheese would have. With a scream of excited delight (or delightful excitement?) Brie picked up two strands of mother’s hair, making sure that at least one more remained behind… just in case. Easily climbing down the witch’s vanity (gravity was always willing to lend a hand) the rat returned to the other familiars, mother’s treasured hair safely between his teeth.

"Llk, lllk, hh h‘v thm!" Realizing that the others could probably not understand him, Brie carefully placed the two strands of hair on the ground and stepped on them with his paw so that the wind wouldn’t blow them away. "Look, I have them!", said the rat proudly, this time much more clearly, his grin reminding them of the proverbial rat that gained access to the village’s wheat storage. "These we should take with us. Should we try to tie them around a leg or tail" -which was very difficult for creatures with paws instead of fingers- "or…" Brie gave the cat a very odd look. "Ahem… Ernest, is it true that you… ah… eat hair and then you… aaah… cough them up?" Cats were very strange animals, but if Ernest could carry mother’s hair in his throat (!?) it would mean that the rats would have full use of their mouths and sharp teeth and wouldn’t have to worry about losing this precious ingredient.

Last edited by Elanir; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Beau
right-aligned image

Beau's delight at Brie's triumphant return from the vanity turned to shock when she heard him suggest Ernest eat the hairs. 'Umm,' she started, clearly looking for a way to dissuade her fellows. Truthfully she wouldn't put eating bits of Abigail past the cat, but it just seemed... Unseemly. 'Or maybe... We could leave them here? Hair is fragile- just look at how many strands are in that brush. Perhaps it would be best if... If we kept them safe here, and returned with the, ah... Other ingredients?'

Lowering her snout, she added, 'That is... If we can make it to the village and back in a week? Its been a year since I came here, and I, ah, I probably didn't take the quickest path, stumbling through the forest. I don't know how many days we'll need to walk to the village...'

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 07:31 AM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Ernest
right-aligned image
Don't eat the rat. Don't eat the rat. Don't eat the- "I do not choose to eat my hair!" the cat growled in a deadpan manner in response to Brie's ludicrous idea. Beau stepped in suggesting something more soundly "Agreed. Return the hair to where you found it, outside of the bird I doubt anyone else will venture into the Mistress' abode. Eat the Mistress' hair of all the-" the bombay trailed off into unamused mews.

"Unless we get lost I do not foresee arriving at the village a real issue. Though it has been sometime since my -ahem- residency there-" the tom shifted his head so that faux eye was properly shown in all its simple glory "I do not fully recall my journey from there to our home. Might one of you be more familiar with the woods?"

Last edited by Retry; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 03:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Brijida
right-aligned image

Seeing the Grizzled Rat, Brie, come running out of the house-hairs firmly in is tiny maw-excitedly left Brijida equally elated. Her laughter-like yips filled the air. The cheerful energy released into the tamed wild of the Mistress' home seemed a counter point to gruesome scene behind them. Her chipper demeanor ended with Beau's observations.

"Oh, yes. Yes, yes! Hide the hair, Brie Rat. Hide the hair; keep it safe. We do not know how long it will take us to take the eyes. Very good Reading, Beau. Excellent! See! Useful. You saw more than I." Two quick laugh yips were the Dear Sweet Rat's reward for her thinking. Perhaps the Fox should have made more time to play with the other familiars. Perhaps, yes, now is good?

Ernest's words now began sinking in in... hehearnest. "Could be easy. Could be dangerous to get there." She stood at attention suddenly, nose pointed towards the treeline and the village. "There are three paths I have found that go to the Human Place. Fastest is the most dangerous. The second is medium safe; least dangerous, and takes longest. The third is the safest, takes longest and is easiest to get lost upon.

The fastest is the Human Path. It cuts through the forest like a scar. Smooth, straight, no brambles, but too many Two-Legs. They kick and throw rocks when they see me. But it is fast fast! I can run on and on until I can't anymore without ducking branches or crawling under brambles.

The Safest is the Deer's Paths. It winds and wends here and there. There are bears and some wolves that can find you there. Angry badgers, too! No, no! It takes a little longer, even if we run. But it is safer than the Human Path.

The in between path? Bushes, bushes everywhere! Slowest path. Takes much, much longer and very easy to get lost in. But less predators! Too big to follow."
the scarlet familiar plopped her tail side down and began attacking a new itch behind her jaw. Mistress would have been there to soothe it for her. Setting her foot down with a sigh she looked over the little ones. "I like the Deer's Path. Lots of friends there, too. Dear Sweet Beau and Brie Rat can sit on my back as we go. My legs are longer and my back is strong. We will go faster this way, yes?" Smiling, she waited hopefully for a concensus.
OOC and Stats

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:23 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Over the river and through the woods...

GM - Mechanicslydklein did a great job of explaining your options for travel IC. Here's what each of those paths look like, nuts-and-bolts-wise:
  1. The Forest Road - This route is the easiest to follow, with no risk of getting lost. The packed dirt lane allows for travel at any pace. The road is traveled by humans, though, so it is inherently dangerous for animals.
  2. The Deer Path - This route is a network of trails, created by animals. There is minor risk of getting lost. Animals can travel the Deer Path at any pace, but the route is circuitous, and will take longer than the road. Some of the creatures that use the paths are unfriendly, though the path is not inherently dangerous.
  3. The Bush - Traveling entirely off-trail is not inherently dangerous for animals; however, the risk of getting lost is high, and a grueling pace cannot be maintained due to the tangled underbrush.

RouteRisk of Getting LostPace AllowedDanger
The Forest RoadNoneAny+2
The Deer PathMinorAny+0
The BushHighSteady or Strenuous+1

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 03:17 AM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Brie
right-aligned image
Ernest’s snarl made Brie want to scurry away, but this time he stood his ground. He had seen the great black cat vomiting hair and had only assumed that the feline had an appetite for such things. Still, he was not going to argue with a creature that could swallow him whole without any difficulty, so he merely shrugged, mumbled a rather insincere "Sorry" and after a last glance at the cat went to one of the raspberry bushes in garden. Without difficulty the small creature vanished underneath its leaves and tied the two strands of hair among the bush’s branches. There!, he thought. Now they are safe from wind and predators alike. Wait, sweet mother, you’ll soon be able to brush your beautiful hair once more.

Coming out of the bush with a satisfied look, Brie approached Brijida, who was explaining to them the many paths leading to the human nest they called „village“. The fox was so clever and well-travelled! The rodent pondered the vixen’s words for a few moments and was quick to cry out.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no, not the great dirt path! It’s so open and there are humans there. Humans with pointed sticks that pierce flesh and fire-spitting canes and iron-shod leather paws! Even their horses are horrible and try to trample us, poor rats, under their hooves, just like they did to my late sisters Mozza and Rella. You should have seen them afterwards, they were one with the earth. O the horror!"

The memory would have brought tears to the rat’s eyes had rats been able to cry and had his mean older sisters not stolen from him a piece of moldy bread minutes before their demise. It was a very just punishment, Brie found, and wasn’t sorry for them at all, but his fellow familiars didn’t need to know that. Horses were dangerous for all of them and that was that.

"The bush path doesn’t sound very suitable either. I mean, I normally love bushes. They offer protection and tasty berries and smell nice, but a whole forest of them? We are sure to get lost and then what will mother do without our aid? No, it’s too risky."

Looking around at the other animals, Brie spoke now silently and with conviction, doing his best to persuade them that this was the right path to follow.

"I think we should follow the deer path. Deer are nice and know what they are doing, except when they are butting head over some female." Why do they do that? There are usually so many female rats one merely has to take one’s pick. Then again, if I had these big dangerous-looking antlers on my head, I might have been thinking differently. "The deer path is both safe and relatively quick and Brijida here knows the way. What could go wrong?"

A great deal of things probably. But what is an adventure without danger? A rat without whiskers and a tail!

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 10:30 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Beau
right-aligned image

'I agree,' Beau spoke up, looking from Brijida to Brie and back. 'I don't think we should take the dangerous route- if we... If we don't make it back, there will be nobody left to wake up Abigail.'

'And who knows?' She looked up, her whiskers twitching. 'Maybe... maybe some of the deer, or other animals, can help us? Give us directions, maybe?'

She quickly glanced over at Brie, her snout towards the ground. 'Sorry about your sisters,' she offers quietly.

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 09:53 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Blessings of the Witch - ALLBlessings of the Witch are awarded to lydklein (Brijida) for translating a critical line of Abigail's grimoire and for drawing on her wilderness savvy to help plan the route forward.

Blessings of the Witch are awarded to Elanir (Brie) for commitment to their cheesy naming convention, and for suggesting a cat serve as the group's Bag of Holding.

Blessings of the Witch are awarded to Retry (Ernest) for defending the dignity of all cats by refusing to eat hair (on command, at least), and for keeping the group focused and moving forward.

Blessings of the Witch are awarded to Arundel val Estar (Raindrops on Roses) for being the only familiar to give Abigail's romance manuscript, Tunics Asunder, the attention it deserves, and for sustaining a crazy character voice through an entire chapter of play.

Blessings of the Witch are awarded to DemonSlayer (Beau) for being relentlessly sweet. If anything bad happens to her I will quit the game.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 562
Arundel val Estar Arundel val Estar Arundel val Estar Arundel val Estar Arundel val Estar Arundel val Estar
Raindrops on Roses
right-aligned image

The artistry in this tome was elegant, careful flourishes of the pen weaving tapestries directly from imagination through the minds eye onto the page. They lacked some of the nuance and formality that First Master's books had as well as a overall more...controversial usage of color, but they we clearly made by a deeply passionate artist. Raindrops found himself even momentarily questioning if these were made by Second Master or she had somehow contacted a professional artist. Foolishness, Raindrops thought, a hint of shame making his ears feel warm, Second Master was skilled beyond measure in arts that I can't even begin to fathom. Of course she was also a master artisan, skilled in the visual arts.

Page after page, Raindrops found himself drawn into the nuance and the detail of this tome. The tale was simple enough on the broad strokes of the artists brush. As with many of the ancient tales, in Tunics Asunder the fair maiden found herself beset on all sides by dashing suitors. There was the gallant young warrior, the hedge mage with a gruff exterior but ultimately tender generosity underneath, a trickster gentleman thief who maintained a witty yet standoffish banter with the maiden Josephine. Clearly the ancient wisdom guides the maiden's favor towards thief, for he is the best suited to ferry the maiden into distant lands of adventure under the nose of the corrupt officials. There would surely be corrupt officials, the maiden Josephine's father was a local city lord who would not accept any of these suitors as he had already chosen the boring city lord in the neighboring city for her. That would never be acceptable to Josephine though, as that lord was responsible for the death of her brother in the last war at the battle of...

The soft yet slightly pitiful sound of one flapping wing broke the silence of Raindrops on Rose's mind. Looking up, annoyed to be distracted from the tome, he was surprised to see the other familiars looking towards him, as if waiting for a response. He felt a sudden flush as the redness returned to his ears, so strongly that his eyes may have truly caught flame. His mind scrambled to piece together the fragments of memory that had made it through his romantic haze.

A path? A journey to the town? Of course, the hunter! Raindrops mind raced as he was flooded with memories of the town and his time with First Master before her departure. The safest path is its own risk of time, but I sense we will find risks a plenty when we reach the town of First Master. I can move quickly with my mighty legs of portal control. If you are able to keep pace, I can share my wisdom on the journey.

With a final flourish, Raindrops turned quickly to leave the cottage. He hoped that the others didn't realize he had missed the conversation, surely they were unable to see through his acting skills!

OOCHe is a terrible actor and liar, see through the "deceptions" at your leisure.

Quick Stats

co

Old Oct 7th, 2020, 10:03 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
We're leaving together, but still it's farewell...

GMSo it is decided: the furry cohort will follow the Deer Path toward the village of Whitebridge, traveling at a steady pace.

Brijida makes a sort of bow, touching her slender snout to the grass so that Brie and Beau, the rats, may scramble up to her shoulders, where they can ride out the journey in comfort and safety. The fox, having spent considerable time exploring the forest, takes the lead. After a yip and a skip to test the rodents' purchase, she scampers off toward the tree-line and the path ahead.

Casting one last furtive glance at Abigail's blue book, Raindrops on Roses leaps into motion, his great long legs kicking up a spray of loamy earth as he darts after the rats and their vulpine mount.

Ernest, last in line, can't help but think that hitching a ride on another animal's back is the way to go - were it not so undignified. With a yawn and a quick twitch of his tail, the old tom is off. He ducks a low branch and disappears into the underbrush.

And with that, the Familiars take their first steps into Sweetbriar Forest, toward the village of Whitebridge and sweet, bloody vengeance.

Alexa, an owl
right-aligned image
Alexa watches the other animals depart in silence. As the bombay's black tail slips into shadow she lets out a weak chirp. The cottage door squeals in reply, swinging on its last good hinge. The books still lie open in the dirt near the smoldering remains of the Witch.

"I suppose I'll put these boooks away, then!" Alexa shrieks, her voice echoing in the empty dooryard.

With a violent Pop! Crack! the hinge gives way and the door falls from the cottage.

"Ooo! I'm never getting back up to my rooost," Alexa squeaks pitifully.

Last edited by Mallothi; Feb 11th, 2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 10:09 PM
Higitus Figitus

Tools
User Statistics
CHAPTER 1 IS NOW CLOSED.

Please proceed to Chapter 2: Over the River and Through the Woods

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 7th, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
Closed Thread