Game Thread Chapter 2: Over the River and Through the Woods - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 01:15 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,302
Brie
right-aligned image
Seeing a life size troll so near him, even if he was suspended over the angry river by his pants having been caught on Birchfell, terrified Brie, who sought the relative safety of a patch of mushrooms. It seemed however that the terrible beast, that wasnít all that terrible at the moment, required their assistance. Ernest dutifully translated the warty giantís pleas and his promise to give them a good luck charm. Pfff!, thought Brie, Mother could have used your good luck charm before that brute came to slay her. What are we going to do with it? I probably canít even carry it.

The rat slowly came out of his hiding place and looked suspiciously at the troll. Approaching his companions, Brie started whispering so that the monster would not listen to what he had to say. He didnít seem to speak anything other than human- and cat-speech -rattish was probably too complicated for the simple-minded troll- but one could not be too careful.

"If both the Troll and the Toll are here, in this case being the very same individual, the bridge must be unguarded. I say we present him our tails and run as quickly as we can to the bridge. If we are careful, we can probably avoid any humans. The river is not all that wide, we can cross this bridge quickly enough. Besides, even if we wanted to help the wart-face, I donít see how we are supposed to do so. We can hardly drag him to safety!"

Having said what he felt was practical and right, Brie addressed Drops, who had suggested trying to help the troll. "You do know what the humans -and possibly also the trolls- consider lucky, donít you? Rabbit legsÖ"


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #17  
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 09:45 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

Upon seeing the troll, Beau pressed herself flat against the earth in an attempt to hide- what a horrible creature! So big, bigger even than the humans- how many rats would it need to fill its belly? And yet...

She looked to Brie, who wisely called for caution- but the tiny white rat couldn't bring herself to agree with him. 'I, ah...' she started, slightly uneasy at having to speak up against the intense, direct words of the dark rat. 'Well, we- we are like him, aren't we? I mean, you and I, Brie. The humans hate us, say we spread disease and bad luck and oh so many other curses... So they hunt us, fear us, kill us, even. Call us vermin, they do.' For a moment, anger and fear flared up in her pink eyes, at memories she preferred would have remained forgotten.

'But we did nothing wrong. Like Troll- or Tolle?' she asked, uncertain, looking to Ernest for an explanation as to the creature's name. 'Can we really leave him hanging there? Because we fear not him, but... But stories about him?'

'Maybe you are right,' she said, weakly. 'Maybe we should run from here. But I can't help but wonder... Is that what Abigail would want from us? To run from someone calling out for help?' Lashing her tail about nervously, she looked to the troll, then to each of her companions in turn. 'Even if it turns out to be a stupid idea... I'd rather do the right thing and be proven wrong... Than do the wrong thing and be proven right.'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #18  
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 09:55 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Big troll keep on turnin' / Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river

Tolle, a troll
right-aligned image
Tolle twists and turns, struggling to keep the animals in sight as he continues to spin in lazy circles, suspended beneath the broken birch. He cups a hand to his ear, squinting and straining to make sense of their deliberations. The troll yelps every time his dangling feet touch the freezing water, his pant-legs are soaked to the crotch.

"Oi, oi! What say ye, Master Cat?!" the troll shouts over the roar of the river. Panic is beginning to creep into his voice, pitching his mewling to a yowl. "You lot're still needin' to cross, yeah? Yer ol' friend Tolle can help!" He begins nodding, faster and faster as his agitation mounts. "Once free o'this bleedin' branch I'll help y'and yer friends to the far side! And y'll have me lucky totem!"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #19  
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Give it another go
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,774
Ernest
right-aligned image
"He is offering tit for tat. Upping the bounty for aiding him to assist us across. Was it not the trolls that served as guards of bridges? To gain their good favor will likely save us time in the future for our return trip." the cat paused, a darker tone befalling his words "Mayhap he even grant us aide in dissuading any in pursuit of us and our bounty once we've dealt with the cowardly hunter?"

Ernest cautiously approached the river edge "The name is Ernest, Tolle the Troll. Pray, do you know how to swim at all? We merely are seeking the best route to liberate you without placing you in further harm." the cat said in a half-truth manner. If they were to help they would need a simple way, the fact that they haven't decided on if they should didn't need to come to light as of yet.

"I inquired if the troll could swim. If he can we merely need to snap the branch."

 

  #20  
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 08:33 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Further deliberations with a dangling troll

Tolle, a troll
right-aligned image
"Swim?!" The troll holds his hands up in front of his face, forming cups with his fingers and pawing the air madly. "Only the ol' doggie-paddle, Master Cat!" He cackles, half-hysterical.

His laughter trails to a giggle, then a whimper. His expression turns serious. He runs his arm, elbow to fingertip, under his prodigious snoot, sending a gob of phlegm sailing over the water with a practiced flick of his wrist. "I wager ol' Tolle could splash t'shore from 'ere," he sniffs, "but would surely feel safer with a length'a rope or floaty bit t'cling to, eh?"

The troll looks hopefully from Ernest to the other Familiars and back. "C'mon, then, eh? I'm beggin' ye now!"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #21  
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:29 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

'A... A floaty bit?' Beau perked up, happy that she could do something useful. The branches lying about were awfully small, but perhaps she could convince them to get a little bigger. Quickly, she looked for what appeared to be the largest of the small branches, and scurried over to it.

'Hello,' she spoke softly to the branch. 'Don't worry- I'm just going to help you grow a bit, if that's alright.' She gently placed her paws on the rough wooden surface, her body almost entirely still except for the barely noticeable twitching of her whiskers. With her pink eyes shut firmly, Beau let the magic Abigail taught her permeat the branch, as she had done so often in the garden. She sought out the spark of life present in all of nature's plants- and in her mind's eye, she found a soft, cyan glow in the midst of a dark sea. Gently she tried to breathe more life into that spark, as she had done so many times before, and soon the glow became stronger, the branch growing slightly, inch by inch, as so many fruits and herbs and berries had grown under the rat's loving touch.

Magic roll; 1Except this time, it was different.

The cyan glow turned brown, then an angry red, violently exploding outwards. Beau let out an anguished squeak as she jumped back, fearfully staring at the branch she had tried to use her magic on.

Vicious, wicked-looking thorns had burst from the bark, retreating slowly back into the wood as if coiling up to strike again. Using the Witch's Blessing to increase my result to four.Had Abigail not prepared her for the possibility of her magic going awry, those same thorns would have drank far more than but a drop of Beau's blood.

'That... That wasn't supposed to happen,' Beau whimpered, nursing a long, red scratch along her front paw. To her relief she could still move the limb, but the small white rat was nonetheless shaken by what had happened. 'I think... I think the plants away from Abigail's cottage are angrier,' she muttered. 'Sorry,' she added quietly, feeling guilty for failing at such a simple task...


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Oct 20th, 2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: using the blessing
  #22  
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:45 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,302
Brie
right-aligned image
"Beau, no!", cried out Brie when he saw the white ratís blood stain her beautiful paw. Putting himself between his friend and the malicious piece of wood, Brie aggressively presented his teeth. "Stay back, you! Stay back or Iíll turn you to wood shavings! You donít want to mess with these teeth. Hssss!"

The rat was determined. If the thorny branch made any attempt to hurt the other familiar again, he would do everything in his power to grab it safely and throw it to the river. It would serve it right!

Do you see how ungrateful the world is, little one?, thought Brie. You reach out to help and are repaid with the stinging of a vicious thorn! The same could happen with the troll only much worse. And still you want to help! The black rat almost shared his black thoughts with Beau, but something stopped him. It wouldnít do to hurt her feelings as well. She would learn her lesson eventually and even If she didnítÖ welll, that was what made her so precious.


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #23  
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 09:59 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Aquarius aquaticus aqualitus quum! Aqua digi tarium!

GM - MechanicsWhile the Plant growth spell fails, sweet Beau is able to avoid utter calamity by using Blessings of the Witch to mitigate the damage wrought by the obstinate branch.

Beau's current danger will now be 2, everyone else holds at 1 for the temporary environmental danger associated with standing nearby rushing water.

The Familiars are welcome to continue trying to fashion some sort of floatation device (including by using Plant growth again) or they can concoct a new approach. When we get to that point, it's a DC 7 Fierce to chew through troll pants. Any creature(s) can make the roll, and multiple attempts are allowed.

Tolle, a troll
right-aligned image

When the branch that Beau minsters over erupts in lashing thorns, Tolle lets out a surprised yelp and curses in his harsh native tongue. He clenches his fists and crosses his rangy arms in front of his face, a pantomime that all the animals can understand - No, no, no!

In his unrefined cat-speak, the troll shouts, "Oi, cat! Tell Mousie to leave off! If she finks ol' Tolle aims to sail t'shore on a raft of brambles she's mistook; I jus'assume thrash me way across."

He glances at the other Familiars, who are standing at the ready. He narrows his eyes and sets his jaw in a look of comically grim determination. "Cut ol' Tolle loose, and watch this doggie paddle!"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 20th, 2020 at 10:10 PM.
  #24  
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 12:16 AM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
'A troll?! They're real? I've passed near the Human Bridge many, many times, but had never, ever seen a troll. The fox was stone still, lips quivering, as she resisted the urge to snarl. Slowly, she inched forward until she was standing directly over the smaller rodents protectively. If this was a real life troll then should he be trusted? Beau had obviously thought it was worth risking the chance. However, magic away from home was not very cooperative. The poor little thing had gotten hurt by some angry plants. Didnít like being magicked she guessed. Without a word Brijida offered a comforting lick.

A quick warning growl to the offending vegetation. It wasnít as loud as Grizzled Brieís warning, but it was best to add her voice too. Silly things needed to know their place. And it wasnít attacking poor Sweet Beau. "Cut ol' Tolle loose, and watch this doggie paddle!" cried the vicious troll.

The vixen jerked her head up. "What is it yowling at us, Ernest? Tell it to be patient. We are deciding. Tell him I am coming near and to hold still. The tree might not hold us both if he wiggles about like a dying snake. No, no!! I do not wish to fall in the water today. Too cold. Too fast. Too wet." She inched forward as she spoke; even before The Cat could communicate with Tolle. Slowly, carefully, the fiery furred familiar found herself inching closer to the troll. She got as close as she could without stepping on the brittle broken ends. With an outstretched neck, the fox did her best to sniff at the troll. Was he friend or foe? Did he smell of bad, or good? Or fox, rat, cat or rabbit? *sniff sniff sniff*
OOC and StatsI would like to see what scents I can pick up off of him that may help us determine his trustworthiness. I.e. does he smell like he is lying....or like fish maybe? Would that be Clever?
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by lydklein; Oct 22nd, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
  #25  
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 01:58 AM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Clever girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydklein View Post
I would like to see what scents I can pick up off of him that may help us determine his trustworthiness. I.e. does he smell like he is lying....or like fish maybe? Would that be Clever?
OOC - MechanicsIt will be a DC 6 Clever to determine what the troll's last meal was, and a DC 8 Clever to sniff out anything that might give you deeper insight into his intentions.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #26  
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 02:18 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
92 points, according to Bad Breath Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydklein View Post
Slowly, carefully, the fiery furred familiar found herself inching closer to the troll. She got as close as she could without stepping on the brittle broken ends. With an outstretched neck, the fox did her best to sniff at the troll. Was he friend or foe? Did he smell of bad, or good? Or fox, rat, cat or rabbit? *sniff sniff sniff*
Gad-zooks, the smell! The awful, revolting, stomach-churning smell!

TASTING NOTE: A funk so thick and pungent it seems nearly visible on the air, this malodorous bouquet calls to mind mounds of fish guts putrefying under the summer sun. Heady wafts of rotten egg and hot armpit are underlaid with more subtle notes of burnt hair and fermented undergarments. If halitosis were ever weaponized, this aroma would serve beautifully as a base material. Pairs well with decaying troll teeth.

Brijida can tell that Tolle's last meal was undoubtedly fish. And that he is disgusting.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Oct 22nd, 2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: A word
  #27  
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 02:42 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Give it another go
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,774
Ernest
right-aligned image
"That may be. Or, the stress of the day has gotten the better of us." the tom raised his paw as the feisty Brie threatened the tree. Oh how Ernest disliked the spell the Mistress had taught him compared to the others in this predicament. It served the Mistress well when an incident happened in the hut - so he couldn't bring himself to despise it. Nevertheless, when such a small creature such as Beau could force a branch beyond its physical boundaries - it surely injured his feline pride.

Such a wound upon the rodent would typically give cause to hunt, for it is wounded and a wounded prey was wonderful sport to a cat. Though the kind hearted Beau was beloved by the Mistress, as were they all. Ernest not dare willfully harm them before her return.

"Stay still or drown!" Ernest mewed back harshly as Brijida was already in motion along the tree. "We've decided to aid but your panic will only place more in danger!"

"Fox - abort if you must. We need not bring the Mistress sad news upon her awakening."

 

__________________
(he/they) | Status: I'm here I think | Post status: halted
  #28  
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 07:48 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

Despite her wound, Beau sat up a little straighter when Brie and Brijida came to her defense. Even with everything going on, her little heart beat with a little more joy, knowing that Abigail's kindness lived on in her companions.

'I... I guess the plants around Abigail's cottage are more used to magic,' Beau brought out, trying to make sense of what had transpired now that the sharp pain had subsided into a dull ache. 'I should've asked nicely, first,' she added quietly.


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #29  
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 09:03 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,302
Brie
right-aligned image
Brie kept glaring at the branch as if his gaze alone was enough to make it behave. "Itís not your fault, Beau. Donít make excuses for this treacherous piece of wood! You only tried to make it grow. It should have been thankful!"

Well, to be perfectly honest, we also wanted to throw it to the river, but is should actually have welcomed the chance to see some of the world before it rotted completely. Itís not that it serves a purpose here.

Seeing out of the corner of his eye that the fox was sniffing the troll, which was probably as good an idea as sniffing a skunk, the rat asked the vixen if she found out something. "Hey, Briji, be careful! I trust this tolling troll -or trolling Tolle?- as far as I can throw it, which is not at all. Does it have the smell of bloody murder upon it? Does it?"


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #30  
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 12:16 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
Pfffaahhh! The fetid stench that assaulted Brijida The Fox's nose with unexpected fervor. The fiery furred familiar backed up a few paces all the while sneezing and trying to desperately shake the stench from her nose.

"Hey, Briji, be careful! I trust this tolling troll -or trolling Tolle?- as far as I can throw it, which is not at all. Does it have the smell of bloody murder upon it? Does it?" How thoughtful. He wanted her safe. She was touched so much she ignored the shortening of her name. He was the only one who called her that. When he chose to use er name at all.

"Bloody murder?" " YES! Mine! Gah! He stinks of dead fish, filth and decay. I think it's trying to kill me from the nose up! If he showed up at the cabin, Mistress would give this one a good dunking." Brijida shook her head once more before looking back at Brie, a mischievous sparkle in her foxy eyes. Grinning at the Grumpy Rat, she gave them a little vixen laughing yip. "I think that's exactly what he needs, don't you?"

A grin across her face, she carefully made her way over to where the trolls disgusting clothing hung upon Birchfell. She stared him directly in the eyes, tilted her head, listening to the horrid screeching of his "words". Without warning, the familiar leaped up into the air and brought her forepaws down upon the tree trunk hard. Any of the familiars who had seen he hunting voles in the winter would have recognized the technique. Brijida was having fun with he target.

"Bathtime!!"
OOC and STATSShe rolled a 9 to knock Tolle loose.
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB