Game Thread Chapter 2: Over the River and Through the Woods - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 40149
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,257
Brie
right-aligned image
Every step the fox took, brought them closer to the village, making Brie more and more anxious. The village was called Whitebridge, surely to distinguish it from other similar villages, though for the dark rat it had always been the village. It’s not like he had been in a lot of them. It was a very large place -though most places were large when one was as big as a rat- and one Brie hadn’t been meaning to visit ever again. He had relatives there of course, a great deal of them in fact: his elder brother Stilton, grim as the plague he carried, his sister Gorgon-Zola, the ugliest rat that had ever been born, rumored to petrify others with her looks just like her namesake but also very interested in (eating) books, his twin brother Blue, who was in fact grey, baby Feta, the last of the brood, who now must have had children of her own and so many more.

The problem was that he could not be sure anyone of them was actually still alive. There were just so many dangers in the village. Even if one was as careful as Brie had been, there was no guarantee one would live long enough to celebrate even their twentieth week birthday. Cats, dogs, mousetraps, poison and above all else humans, all the evils in the world had been unleashed in Whitebridge and had sworn to exterminate every last rat living there. The only reason that still hadn’t happened was because Brie’s brothers and sisters had been blessed with the ability to replenish their diminishing population in a matter of weeks by reproducing like… welll… rats. It drove their mothers mad, having to find names for their young, numbering up to twelve pups in a litter, this usually happening six times a year. That meant a lot of names for a lot of rats. For Brie’s mother, a lover of all sorts of cheese and a celebrated gourmet in her own right, the choice had been simple. For others it was not, resulting in whole nests with all rats being called Mickey. Mickey! What was so special about that name? It didn’t even suit a rat!

The smell of smoke and the loud screams brought Brie out of his reverie. Danger!, he thought and immediately acted. Jumping down from Brijida’s back and with a hasty "Hide!" towards his companions, the dark rat dove under a majestic fern and stayed there as still as possible, with the exception of his racing heart. What truly surprised him was the fact that he could understand the voices! Was it another… familiar? A familiar that had left Mother before she had adopted Brie and the rest or the familiar of another witch? Both explanations seemed rather unlikely. Who in their right mind would choose to leave Mother? Unless, she was the one to have chased it away?... Concentrating on the voice, Brie attempted to put a face to it. What kind of animal was it that seemed to bear a grudge against „craven, earth-vexing, foot-lickers“? What animal cried „Honk Honk“?


OOC actionsBrie attempts to identify the type of animal from the sound of its voice (Result: 8).


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #47  
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,529
Do you honk your beak at us, sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
What truly surprised him was the fact that he could understand the voices! Was it another… familiar? A familiar that had left Mother before she had adopted Brie and the rest or the familiar of another witch? Both explanations seemed rather unlikely. Who in their right mind would choose to leave Mother? Unless, she was the one to have chased it away?... Concentrating on the voice, Brie attempted to put a face to it. What kind of animal was it that seemed to bear a grudge against „craven, earth-vexing, foot-lickers“? What animal cried „Honk Honk“?
Old Bart, a goose
right-aligned image
That high-flown magniloquence, and the horrible, blaring HONK! that withers to a soft whistle after each blast... it couldn't be.

Every animal, from the most privileged and secluded urban pet to the wildest three-horned goat of Mount Myrddin, has heard tell of the most vile, hateful, bastardly animal to ever tread the boards of the world's stage: Old Bart. An attack goose of mythical malevolence, Old Bart is one of the Witch-Hunter's most trusted familiars, and perhaps the only creature alive to rival his master's wickedness.

GM - MechanicsBrie immediately recognizes the terrible honking, and correctly attributes it to the villainous beast of legend, Old Bart.

Brijida knows only that the sound fills her with fear; it is a noise from a half-remembered nightmare.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Nov 6th, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
  #48  
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:43 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,529
Trifle with the Honk and ye shall suffer the Bonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSlayer View Post
'I'm... I'm just going to take a little peek,' she told the others, before scurrying in the direction of the sound, making sure to stay low and well-hidden in the grass and underbrush.
Old Bart, a goose
right-aligned image
Beau creeps forward, careful to avoid noisy leaves and twigs. She picks her way very carefully through the underbrush until she reaches the edge of a clearing, perhaps 100 yards wide. Gathered around the center of the glade is a motley-looking band of a half-dozen humans. Beau is seized by a pang of icy dread when she realizes that these men are, in fact, the Witch-Hunter's lackeys, the selfsame entourage responsible for the murder of her beloved Mistress!

What's worse, the miserable posse is presided over by an even more terrifying figure: Old Bart, the world's most bloodthirsty attack goose, and Ulrich von Furchtbar's right-hand familiar. There's no mistaking Bartholomew the Butcher. His otherwise perfect white face is marred by an ugly red scar that bisects his left eye; an old battle-wound that also left his bill cracked, giving his trumpet its telltale whistle.

The men have erected a bonfire in the center of the dell, above which a bulging, wriggling net is suspended. Bart stands to one side, a torch clamped in his beak. The men yelp and caper excitedly, throwing stones and apple-cores at the net, which Beau now sees is stuffed with several whimpering goblins. The goblins wail and cry out, but the words are lost on Beau; their language is entire unfamiliar. All the same, their peril is unmistakable. Tongues of flame begin to run up the net, and the goblins' cries become increasingly frantic.

Old Bart honks around his torch, "HnnnkkKth!" The men all reflexively jerk as if struck. One of the men immediately springs into action, sprinting to the goose's side to relieve him of the burden. Bart honks again, clearly this time, "HONK!" and a second man begins furiously rummaging through his pockets until he shakily produces a cigarette that he wedges in Bart's parted beak. With trembling hands, the first man leans in to offer the goose the flame, but in all his collywobbling he drops the torch on the ground. When he stoops to retrieve it, Bart thanks him with a swift palmate kick in the rump, Whap! and a vicious "HONK!" The man stammers his apologies as he retrieves the torch and lights Bart's cigarette.

Beau, rushing to escape the danger of the clearing and report back, steps on a dried twig, Crack-Snap! In her panic, she jumps, bumping into Brijida, who gives out a startled "Yip!" Old Bart's head snaps around in a flash, sending orange sparks spraying in a wide arc. Perhaps it's only the reflection of the bonfire, but the Familiars are certain they see pure hatred blazing bright in the black of Bart's eyes as he scans the tree-line.

"Hark, an interloper! Just there, in yon wood!" Bart shouts. The goose commands the nearest man, "You! Get thee after the intruder! Hew him as a carcass fit for hounds! HONK!" Without hesitation the man breaks into a dead sprint in Beau's direction. "And the rest," Bart cries, "we away to Summitstone, and our Master!" Satisfied that their grim deed is as good as done, he and the remaining men flee, bound for the village.

GM - MechanicsBeau and Brijida each take a point of DANGER for their failed Sly rolls.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Nov 27th, 2020 at 09:42 AM.
  #49  
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 04:40 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 40149
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,257
Brie
right-aligned image
Brie froze with terror, from the end of his tail to the tip of his nose, as his brain strove to overcome the horror of the realization of the mysterious animal‘s true identity.

No, no! It cannot be. Not Old Bart. Not the devil-goose himself!

The shock brought him back, a long time back, when he and his siblings gathered around their mother to warm themselves. It was winter and the cellar they lived in was bitterly cold. Their mother would tell them tales, tales of adventure and comical tales to make them laugh, sorrowful tales and even tales of great romance. There was only one tale she repeated again and again however, warning her children about the dangerous world out there. The tale of Bartholomew the devil-goose.

*****

In the old days, children, when a great power from the south ruled over the whole world -and invented Pecorino, my most beloved sort of cheese- there lived a humble soldier named Martin. His parents had raised him to believe in many gods: the gods of the woods and the rivers, the roads and the fountains, the sky and the sea. But Martin could not find peace in them for he knew them to be false. Long did he search and long did he travel, but in the end it was worth it for he met the One. Promising this new god his loyalty, obedience and faith, thrice he was submerged in water only to rise a new man, reborn.

All loved Martin and all went to him for aid and advice. They adored him so much in fact that when the bishop of the city the young man lived in passed away, the people asked him to become their bishop and lead them with kindness and wisdom. Martin would hear none of it. He did not feel himself worthy of such an honor. Not knowing what else to do, he hid inside a pen of geese, begging the animals not to betray him. Among them however was a goose so evil that he had made a bargain with the one whose name we do not mention and traded his soul in exchange for power and everlasting life: Bartholomew the devil-goose, later known also as Bartholomew the Butcher. Old Bart, for even then he was old, knew that for Martin to be ordained bishop would mean the man’s death. Out of the meanness of his heart he called out loud. „Honk Honk! Martin is here! Honk Honk!“ Ignoring Martin’s pleas he betrayed him to the people of the city, who took him to the great church and made him their bishop.

Years passed and the hearts of men grew darker for Old Bart had poisoned them with lies. The once pious citizens one day revolted and dragged their gentle bishop out of the holy church. They accused him of not caring for the people of the city, of growing rich while they became ever poorer. Martin showed them his patched clothes and old shoes that were full of holes and they relented, falling to their knees and asking for forgiveness.

„Lies!“, cried out Old Bart and pointed at the bishop’s warm cloak, trimmed with fur.

Martin took out his cloak and smiled at the bird. Asking for a knife, he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to Bartholomew. To keep him warm, he claimed, hoping to soften his heart of stone. But he was wrong. Nothing can touch that which does not exist, for Old Bart’s heart was at the deepest pit of hell. The goose cackled maliciously, trampled on the piece of cloak he had been offered and used the knife to behead Martin. The people of the city cried out to the heavens and weeped in anguish, but it was too late. Martin was no more. They chased the devil-goose out of their city and enacted their revenge upon his innocent brothers and sisters, eating all of them, filling them with apples, onions and pomegranate seeds and serving them with gravy. It was a feast they would repeat every year on the 11th of November, the so-called feast of Saint Martin.

The devil-goose wandered the world making a name for himself. He fought in countless battles, earning the name Butcher, he burnt cities to the ground and wiped out whole races like the once populous dodo birds. Legends claim that he now resides in these parts, ever on the lookout for stray rats who don’t listen to their mothers. Who knows what he is up to now? Nothing good, I gather. Remember, children. Be good, be obedient, be careful or Old Bart will get you!


*****

Old Bart will get you! How could Brie ever forget his mother’s warning?

"Let us flee, let us flee! We stand no chance against the evil of Old Bart! You all know the tales. We cannot prevail here. Flee!"

But the rat was too late with his warning. Beau had already left and Brijida was following close behind her. Nooooooo! The Troll had been a decent fellow after all, but Old Bart… he was the spawn of hell! If he served Ulrich Von Furchtbar, or rather if the witch-hunter served the goose, things just got much more complicated.

OOCSorry, I couldn’t help it, I had to mess around with the legend of St. Martin of Tours!


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #50  
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 11:49 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,171
Beau
right-aligned image

'Oh dear,' Beau whimpered despite herself, spotting the wailing goblins being mistreated by the cruel men. Tears sprung into her pink eyes, and her tail lashed in anguish- these poor creatures' treatment was far too similar to Abigail's horrific torture. In an instant, the white rat was back at the cabin, hearing the men jeer as poor Abigail screamed and burned, for what seemed like an eternity, as Beau did nothing but stand by and watch, frozen in horror. Trembling, the little rat squeezed her eyes close, gasping audibly as the memories came back.

Then she forced her eyes open again- and looked upon a creature of nightmare. 'Oh no,' she whispered quietly, a tone of desperation filling her voice. 'No, no, no, no!' Instinctively, she could see the wrongness in this evil made manifest. Beau trembled, her little heart pounding in her chest, close to bursting. Again, she found herself unable to move, unable to do anything but watch that horror shamble about in the rough approximation of a goose.

Shaking her head, pressing her eyes closed, she shook her head. Snap out of it! she chided herself. Those goblins are far worse off than you are- are you really going to stand by and do nothing? Again?

With great effort, Beau willed her paw to move towards a nearby dead branch. She couldn't fight those men, and nothing could stand against the vile nightmare that was Bart. But there was one thing she could do. Pressing down hard, she broke the branch, making as loud a noise as her tiny paw was capable of making.

Unfortunately, Beau's plan had been successful- the men and Bart turned to her and, as one, charged after her. Quickly, she turned and fled-

- right into Brijida.

Her eyes large, Beau stared at the fox, then over her shoulder, then back at the fox. 'No, no, no!' she squeaked. 'I am so sorry, Brijida! This wasn't what I intended! We have to run now- Bart the Butcher is coming!'

Then she ran, as quickly as her tiny paws could. But first, she called to Brie in which I assume is the name of the language used only by rodentssqueakish, making sure only he would understand her words. 'Quick-quick! Save goblins! We lead men and goose away for you!'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Nov 6th, 2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: bookkeepping
  #51  
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 01:35 AM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
Old Bart?! Here?! Everything had happened so fast after learning that Old Bart was working with the Witch Hunter. Her poor heart had started beating so fast. The forest had become much too loud and her need to flee or bite became nearly overwhelming. When Sweet Beau came running out of the thicket it had startled Brijida with enough intensity that she squeaked out a yip in surprise and given herself away!

When Beau began apologising profusely Brijida could shake her own head. "No,no, no! Not your fault! Bart is enough to scare and startle the bravest in the forest. Come! Let's go! I'm faster than you!" To the others she called out, "Hide! Hurry! We're off. See you at Summitstone!" and then scooped up Beau by the scruff of her neck like her own mother used to do when she was a little kit.
OOC and STATSBrijida scoops up Beau by the scruff of her rat neck and tries to lead the humans away from the other familiars.
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #52  
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Give it another go
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2024
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,774
Ernest
right-aligned image
The young-ins within the net were surely to be sacrificed at this rate, yet that was of little concern to the bombay. Horrid as it may be life was never kind and always cruel. With the approaching butcher and his goons Ernest took note of where Bart declared their master was and locked it away in his heart.

The dark rodent bade the party to flee and Brijida complied grasping Beau and taking off towards Summitstone. "Quiet!" the cat almost snapped at Brie "They haven't spotted us yet - into the brush, both of you!" lowering his body closer to the ground Ernest beckoned the other two to follow him into the Sly - 7closest bush.

If they did give chase to Brijida, she'd definitely outpace them - yet that would mean Bart's camp would be open. The game was on for the domestic house cat, predatory instincts almost commanding him to end the life of the goose of malice. "If we must flee, cling to my pelt."

 

__________________
(he/they) | Status: I'm here I think | Post status: halted
  #53  
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,529
thisfoeisbeyondanyofyou.gif

GM - A summaryHONK!

The horror! Brie recognizes Bart's trumpeting call and, all too familiar with the waterfowl's terrible mythos, wisely urges the party to flee. It's too late; Beau and Brijida have already crept up to the edge of the clearing in an attempt to spy on Old Bart and his men...

Meanwhile, at the glade's edge, Beau is met with a terrible scene: Bart and his flunkies are torturing a group of goblins. Unwilling to stand by while the poor creatures are murdered, Beau snaps a twig to draw the attention of the men and their goose overlord. Bart hears the noise and dispatches one man to squash the intruder while the Emdener Gans and the rest of his entourage flee. Beau turns to run from the approaching human, and plows right into nearby Brijida, who quickly whisks her away. Beau, in the language of rats, calls out to Brie, charging him with the rescue of the goblins...

As Old Bart et al make their escape, the diabolical bird shouts something about Summitstone. Brijida recalls that the Summitstone Academy for the Magically Adept is a wizarding college, carved into the base of Mount Myrddin, at the northern edge of Whitebridge village. The Familiars were already headed to the village; now they know precisely where the cowardly Witch-Hunter is hiding...

Back on the Deer Path, Ernest advises Brie and Raindrops on Roses to To keep it simple, all three animals will take Retry's Sly result & succeedhide in a bush as the Witch-Hunter's posse passes by. While the Familiars lay low and quiet the underbrush, Bart and the men crash past them, presumably toward the Forest Road and onward to Whitebridge.

GM - The here & nowBart and his rotten retinue make a barbarous racket as they trample through the forest, hurling curses and howling laughter. The animals can translate only snippets of their conversation: "Wanted to watch 'em burn!" ... "Won't be any left!" ... "Safest Whitebridge has ever been!" ... "Get to the horses!" ... "Back in time for the wine pairing symposium!" ...

Before Ernest, Brie, and Raindrops have even broken their bushy cover, Brijida, carrying Beau by the scruff, charges through the trees and into view, a roaring henchman hot on her tail. The man waves a hatchet indiscriminately, gnashing his yellow teeth and bellowing something in human that might translate to, "Come back here! I ain't gonna hurt ya!" The Familiars may not be exactly fluent in human, but they're fairly certain he's lying.

GM - Next stepsHere are a few things to consider moving forward:
  • What will the Familiars do about the one human chasing Beau and Brijida?
  • Does anyone pursue Bart and the rest of the lackeys?
  • Does anyone do anything about the goblins?
Feel free to plan and coordinate in the OOC thread.

Last edited by Mallothi; Nov 14th, 2020 at 04:03 PM.
  #54  
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 40149
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,257
Brie
right-aligned image
"Quick-quick! Save goblins! We lead men and goose away for you!"

Beau’s intention was unmistakable. She was putting herself -and Brijida!- in danger to help save some two-legs she had never even seen before. First the troll, now the goblins. The white rat’s heart was clearly so big as to have enough place inside it for all the critters in need. The problem with her plan however was that Brie didn’t care one bit about these goblins. Sure, he didn’t want them harmed without reason, but that was all the compassion he could muster where such creatures were concerned. The familiars had embarked upon this quest in order to bring Mother back and Beau’s antics endangered that goal. What were they, members of the rodent cross?

Thankfully, Ernest seemed to be much more pragmatic about their current situation and advised caution and subterfuge. The last part, that about clinging to his pelt, Brie decided to ignore. He wasn’t that desperate yet! The black rat glanced at the hare, but Drops seemed for once at a loss for words. Had the cat got his tongue -literally- when Brie wasn’t paying attention? Not very likely. The rat surmised that he was still nauseous after his troll-cruising experience. In any case, the rat couldn’t count on him for help at the moment.

The thick bushes would keep him safe from the devil-goose and his men, he was sure of that, but what about his friends, the brave fox and the reckless and compassionate white rat? What if the hunter caught up with them? No, he understood the need for caution better than most, but this was the time for action.

Closing his eyes, the rat concentrated on the light passing through the multitude of tree leaves far above. Mother had taught him to manipulate the light and the shadow to confuse the senses and the mind. He just had to find that tiny spark of magic she had planted within him. Brie started digging inside him. Beneath the anxiety and the fear, beneath the hope, beneath the memories and even beneath the hunger he found it! He grabbed it and didn’t let it go as if he had just tasted the most savory of morsels. When he opened his eyes once more he saw the world around him differently. The light of the sun seemed palpable, the colors more vibrant, the shadows suddenly alive. Brie wove white and pink for Beau and red, black and white for Brijida and let the colors fly towards the fleeing familiars. The spell seemed to work, but something was still not right. The human would be able to tell the illusions from the originals apart! He would catch up with them and…

Don’t fret, little Brie. You can do it. Be patient. Observe the exact way the colors seem to shine in the sun. Look how the shadows fall, darkening them. Now keep that picture alive in your mind and the magick will do the rest. See? It’s perfect! You are such a brilliant artist, Brie.

"Mother…", whispered the rat, listening to her words as if she was standing beside him. "Yes, I know what to do. Watch!"

With a few flicks of his tail he corrected the imperfections in his mind. There! Now, the magick will work as it is supposed to do.

The human knew he would soon catch up with them. Just a few more feet and he would be able to strike at the fox, who seemed to be carrying a rat -her dinner?- in her mouth. After all, what choice did he really have? To fail would mean to suffer Old Bart’s wrath! Shuddering at the thought, the hunter ran even faster and smiled maliciously. Just a few more steps. One, two… four!? How on earth were there suddenly four foxes carrying four white rats? He rubbed his eyes but the quartet of vixens remained, at least long enough for him to see one fox disappear between two bushes, a second vanishing behind a tree, a third climbing atop a large rock and the fourth run circles around and between his legs.

Brie couldn’t actually see the scene, but he imagined it. I am an artist, he thought with pleasure. For you, Mother.

OOC actionsBrie casts a sort of „mirror image“ spell to confuse the hunter (Result: 6). Assuming that it would fail, he gets a +3 bonus from the Witch’s Blessing.


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #55  
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,529
"Not tricks, Michael, ILLUSIONS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
The human knew he would soon catch up with them. Just a few more feet and he would be able to strike at the fox, who seemed to be carrying a rat -her dinner?- in her mouth. After all, what choice did he really have? To fail would mean to suffer Old Bart’s wrath! Shuddering at the thought, the hunter ran even faster and smiled maliciously. Just a few more steps. One, two… four!? How on earth were there suddenly four foxes carrying four white rats? He rubbed his eyes but the quartet of vixens remained, at least long enough for him to see one fox disappear between two bushes, a second vanishing behind a tree, a third climbing atop a large rock and the fourth run circles around and between his legs.
Geoff, a human
right-aligned image
Damn animals! Look at me! Takin' orders from a damn goose, and now chasin' a damn fox through the damn woods!

The man, a low-ranking henchman named Geoff, charges after Brijida and Beau, crashing through brush and waving his hatchet wildly over his head. "Hey, little feller! Slow down, damnit! I ain't gonna hurt ya!"

Geoff has only been in Ulrich von Furchtbar's service for a few months. Compared to his prior life of delinquency and recidivism living on the streets of Whitebridge, working for the Witch-Hunter seems downright luxurious. Furchtbar furnishes all his men with food, raiment, lodging, armor, and weapons - nothing extravagant, but it certainly beats the ditch Geoff crawled out of. "Plus," Geoff likes to say, "ol' Ulrich lets me kill as many orcs, ogres, trolls, goblins, witches, unicorns, and treants as I can round up. Heck, the mean ol' sumbuck pays me for it!"

"Yup," Geoff sighs each night, lounging by his campfire blind drunk and smeared in the grease of some formerly-adorable woodland creature, "this here's a pretty cushy gig."

That is, it was, until the goose arrived. As Geoff tells it, "Right about the time Furchtbar and us fellers got hired to do that dragon job, ol' Ulrich started bringing his pet (Familiar, he calls it) along to help out. Old Bart scares the piss outta most folks - sometimes seems like Furchtbar included. That damn goose is mean as hell and don't take no guff from man nor beast. I once seen Bart kill a man with a pointy stick just for lookin' at him sideways. Bird hocked a big ol' loogie on the poor bastard and just left him layin' there in the dirt for the vultures (probably friends of his, come to think of it)."

Now, terrified that he may be next in line to suffer Bart's wrath, Geoff pursues the fox and rat with abandon, plowing through briars and low-hanging branches, howling, "Come back here, damnit! I just wanna talk!" He moves fast, steadily gaining ground until Brijida's tail is almost within reach. A smile breaks across Geoff's face.

Then, all of a sudden, the fox splits. Where there was one, now there are four. Geoff falters, stumbles. What the--? The man slows to a jog, rubbing his eyes in disbelief. The foxes scatter in all directions, and one begins making tight figure-eights around Geoff's legs. Fixating on the nearest fox, Geoff begins kicking wildly at the illusion whirling by his ankles. "Damn fox!" he shouts. "Quit it!"

Reluctant to start hacking at a foe so close to his own feet, Geoff discards his hatchet, which drops to the forest floor with a soft, leafy Thump! He begins casting about wildly with both hands, trying to grab the hallucination.

GM - MechanicsAfter applying Blessings of the Witch Brie's magic succeeds. Consider Geoff distracted until further notice.

Geoff was chasing Brijida and Beau toward the Familiars hiding in the bush, so we can play on as a single group (everyone sees and hears one another).
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #56  
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:51 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,171
Beau
right-aligned image

Beau was terrified, panicking, and nauseaus- while she was certainly grateful for Brijida carrying her away, dangling from the fox's jaws by the scruff of her neck was less than ideal. The forest around her was one big blur of greens and browns, and the words of the man chasing them hardly even registered.

Then, suddenly, she heard the man's shouts grow fainter, as if he was moving in a different direction. Strange, for he still sounded like he was chasing them? Beau couldn't make sense of it, and was still wondering what was happening when Brijida arrived back where they had started- with their friends.

Dropping from Brijida's mouth, Beau took a moment to compose herself, panting and still quite dizzy from being swung about like that. Then she shook her little head, clearing the mist of confusion blanketing her senses, and looked at the others.

'Did- did you help the goblins,' she asked, still woozy and unsteady on her paws, hardly able to look up and see for herself.


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo!
  #57  
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 05:20 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
Brijida's heart was pounding in her chest trying it's best to beat right out of her poor little chest. Run, run, run! was all she could think. That and 'Don't bite Sweet Beau, don't bite, don't bite.' In that moment she appreciated the great care her mother had taken to not bite her as a kit. All the while that these thoughts flickered across her mind her little soot colored feet carried her through the brush as quick as they could, but she could not shake the loud human chasing her.

The adrenaline and rushing of the blood in her ears kept her from hearing any of what the man nattered on about, which was a good thing or she may have been too distracted and caught long ago. As it was Briji could feel him closing in. Oh! If only this underbrush were her friend and just help her. But, unfortunately she didn't have Beau's gift with plants... Fortunately, she didn't need to have that boon because suddenly there were four other Brijida's around her! The other vixen's split off and began harass the persistent human. Taking advantage of this distraction the sly fox made a break for some denser vegetation and met back up with her friends.

Opening her mouth, which was now free of the Sweet Rat, the red familiar smile. "No, no. I don't think we gave them enough time for that. Come, come. Quiet and quick, let's go." Turning, without giving anyone else time to react, the fox trotted back to the human camp as quietly as she could.

OOC and STATSAm trying to be quiet as I head back to help the goblins. Let me know if I need to roll to dash into the brush without being seen.
Sly: 11 to Sneak.
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #58  
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 06:16 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydklein View Post
Am trying to be quiet as I head back to help the goblins. Let me know if I need to roll to dash into the brush without being seen.
Sly: 11 to Sneak.
GM - MechanicsBetween the 11 Sly and the distracted enemy, no additional rolls are necessary. Brijida can sneak by Geoff and into the clearing without any trouble. In fact, any other Familiar who wants to follow her lead can do so using the same Sly result without risk of danger.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #59  
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Give it another go
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 8th, 2024
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,774
Ernest
right-aligned image
Watching the fools following the gander's commands rush by Ernest's tail flicked slightly at the first comment of wishing to see them burn. It was always with the inferno with these creatins, wasn't it. Maybe that would be a fitting end for the coward who harmed the Mistress?

A daydream for a different time.

His one good eye peered out of the brush, observing, waiting for the right moment to move. When Brijida and Beau came blustering back with some fool in pursuit it was the dark rat who stepped up calling on the teaching's of their Mistress. It was quite impressive. Far more so than his simple cleaning magicks - yet each held their place in the household, or so its been told to Ernest when the mistress caught him eyeing the rodents - or that damned haughty owl, longer than he should.

This was their chance to get moving again, yet that wasn't the case - the kind-hearted Beau was still thinking about the captives. "By all of the foolish-" the tom let the words die off on his tongue as the vixen made her way back towards the opening "Let's get this handled swiftly!" Ernest said unamused lowering his body towards the ground and followed after Brijida to lend a paw so they could be on their way sooner.

 

__________________
(he/they) | Status: I'm here I think | Post status: halted
  #60  
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 07:08 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,171
Beau
right-aligned image

'Yes, let's,' Beau replied quietly, following Ernest and Brijida to the opening. 'Those poor goblins are suffering- the sooner we get them out of their predicament, the better.' She scurried over to where the goblins were being held prisoner and, after making sure there were no guards left behind, tried to determine how she could free the goblins.

'Don't worry,' she squeaked at the goblins, hoping they could understand her. 'We'll get you out of there.' Sounding far more confident than she was, Beau studied the net and tried to determine how it was being suspended. Perhaps the rope was hung from a branch? Or maybe she or one of the others could climb up there and chew through the net- or the rope?

'Quick now,' she whispered to the others. 'We've no idea when they'll be back!'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB