Game Thread Chapter 2: Over the River and Through the Woods - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 05:46 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Despite all my rage, I am still just a [goblin/mouse] in a [net]

GM
right-aligned image
While Geoff swats uselessly at the phantasmal skulk capering at his feet, the real Brijida is able to sneak back to the clearing without incident. She charts a course through heavy concealment - a shallow gully, dense brush, and finally a hollow log that opens at the dell's edge. Following the vixen's lead, Beau, Brie, and (reluctantly) Ernest are able to pass noiselessly behind. Raindrops on Roses, still afflicted by a curious immobility, rests on his haunches in the bush, stock-still, staring wide-eyed into the middle distance.

The Familiars enter the bright wide-open of the clearing. The air is thick with blue smoke, billowing from the bonfire at the field's center. Above the fire-pit Furchtbar's men have erected a tripod of lashed limbs, from which hangs the net, now half-engulfed in flame. The net has been hoisted to the apex of the tripod by means of a thick hempen rope; the loose end of the rope is staked to the ground several yards away.

Within the net, the goblins yowl and plead in their native language - an inscrutable gibbering that sounds like the ungainly step-sister of dolphin song. Then, barely audible above the roar of the flames and the goblins' wailing, a new, tiny voice curses in Lingua Rodentia, "Niles, you brute! Get off me! I can't very well chew with you sitting on my head!"

It seems the goblins have a mouse in their midst.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Dec 4th, 2020 at 05:49 PM.
  #62  
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is offline
Give it another go
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 15th, 2024
RPXP: 39056
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 9,774
Ernest
right-aligned image
"A precarious position to be in." the tom mewed in a half-heart tone taking in the goblins roasting over an open fire. "Do we drop them into the flame or lower them into it?" the words cruel but not being the good old clever 0brightest of the group Ernest saw little other choice. Time wasted tending to the bleeding heart of the rodent was more time lost bringing back the Mistress.

If they were to fail due to unneeded kindness then Ernest's words to the Mistress would surely falter to primal rage. Yet, lets not think so negatively now. Back to cooking goblins.

"I say it likely best to drop them and leave before they are free. Good deed done and our party away before they seek out a free meal to compensate their burns."

 

__________________
(he/they) | Status: I'm here I think | Post status: halted
  #63  
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,301
Brie
right-aligned image
Brie looked at the flames of the bonfire dancing wildly before him and felt his pride at having tricked the foolish human melt like late spring snows. How was a small creature like him meant to deal with that raging inferno!? Uncle Crisp, who had by accident fallen into a pot of boiling porridge as a „ratling“, had often warned his sister’s little ones, Brie among them, that „sinful“ rats ended up in the bowls of hell, forever tortured by molten iron and scorching fire. The picture the dark rat had formed in his mind was very much like the one before him, which terrified him.

He wanted nothing more than to close his eyes and turn tail and he would have done exactly that when he heard a voice speaking in a very familiar language. Giving Beau a „knowing“ look, Brie turned to Ernest and Brijida, who probably hadn’t understood the beeps and squeaks of the mouse.

"There’s a mousecousin trapped along with the goblins! Perhaps, if we combine our actions, we might be able to save the in comparison to the ratslittle fellow at least. I’ll try to climb the pole and gnaw at the net from above. Perhaps, try to douse the flames by throwing dirt at the bonfire? Briji, you could use your tail as a broom of sorts. Wish me luck!" I’ll need it!

The rat, who felt much more like roast beef than a hero, approached the closest long limb forming one of the tripod’s legs, sized it up and jumped at it, trying to hold on as tightly as he could. He expected to have to repeat the action a few times at least and was surprised at the effectiveness his paws seemed to attach themselves to the wood and the swiftness and ease he climbed it with. "Piece of cake!", he called to his companions, reassuring himself along with them, as he tried to ignore the hungry flames beneath him. Within moments he reached the place where the three branches came together and he gently slid down the short piece of rope leading to the net.

"Cousin, help has arrived!", shouted Brie as he tried to be heard over the roar of the flames. "Let’s work together, you from one side of the net and I from the other. We’ll have a better chance of setting you free in time!"

Rats had nothing against rope in general and though it wasn’t exactly tasty or aromatic like a good mouldy cheese was, it could serve as nourishment when nothing better could be found. Neither was normal rope so hard that it could have hoped to resist Brie’s sharp teeth. The problem was knowing that the whole unsteady contraption could collapse at any time and that the flames could turn the goblins, the mouse and the rat into coal and ash within moments. Desperation seemed to grant Brie great strength and speed however and he realized that he was in fact making good progress. Perhaps, the goblins would be able to escape after all? One could only hope…


OOC actionsBrie manages to climb the limb and gnaws open the net from above. Quick 11, Fierce 6.


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #64  
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 07:28 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

'Be careful!' Beau called after brave Brie, who rushed up the rope at the sound of their "cousin"'s cries. At first the white rat thought about following her dark-furred companion, but decided to wait a moment. No need to both run up the rope at the same time! Ropes could get awfully wobbly if you ran along them quickly enough, and while this one seemed tout, it was perhaps best not to take chances, what with the fire burning underneath.

Then Brie reached the net and, apparently, didn't need much help gnawing through the net. 'Yes! Good!' the little rat squeaked, delighted that these goblins were apparently escaping the flames. 'Keep it up- they're almost free!'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #65  
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 12:54 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
Unsure of what else she could do to help Brijida turned ran up the bonfire, spun around and began digging at the ground. With furious speed the dirt began flying backwards between her hind legs. She war desperately trying to smother the flames. She suddenly wished the magic that the Mistress had taught her allowed her to quell fire as well as create it.

Around her she heard Sweet Beau cheering on brave Brie as he ran up the rope in a noble attempt to liberate these poor creatures. Had she been mistaken in hearing him declare that a fellow rodent was with the goblins as well? Perhaps she had imagined it. Perhaps not. Either way the victims of such malicious hate needed out of their trap before that human circled back and found them there.

""We have to hurry. Yes, yes. That quick human might return any moment!""
 
[/FIELDSET]
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #66  
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 09:53 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
Brie stages a daring rescue while Brijida does some landscaping

Colette, a mouse
right-aligned image
At the sound of the mouse's cry Brie leaps into action. Swift and sure of paw, the rat scales one of the legs of the tripod with ease. The wood is soft and green beneath Brie's claws; he sprints and vaults the length of the limb in a flash, quickly gaining the tripod's apex. The rope from which the net is suspended is rough and fibrous, with plenty of purchase for Brie to rappel down. As he descends, the heat of the flames grows more intense. By the time he reaches the tangled knot securing the net, Brie can feel the tips of his whiskers have begun to curl, turning to ash.

"Cousin, help has arrived!", shouts Brie as he tries to be heard over the roar of the flames. "Let’s work together, you from one side of the net and I from the other. We’ll have a better chance of setting you free in time!"

Through the roar of the bonfire and bawling of the goblins Brie hears the mousy voice call back, "Oh! Oh! Help, yes!" Then a series of squeals and grunts as the rodent works her way through the writhing snarl of goblin limbs toward the top of the net. "Curse you, Niles! Move!" In a moment, the mouse has reached the knot. "Bon appétit, mon ange," she cries, before tucking into the rope. She is all gray-brown ears and flashing white teeth. Before long, spring-like coils of rope begin popping loose.

Twang! Twang! The remaining strands groan under the weight of the goblins.

Below, Beau shouts encouragement. "Yes! Good!" the little rat squeaks, delighted that these goblins are apparently escaping the flames. "Keep it up - they're almost free!"

Fearing that net will plunge goblins-and-all into the inferno, Brijida devises a plan to smother the flames. The fox spins around and begins furiously digging, kicking up a spray of damp, dark soil that showers over the flames. "We have to hurry. Yes, yes. That quick human might return any moment!" The bonfire pops and spits angrily, billowing great plumes of stinking white smoke.

Twang! Another strand snaps and unravels. Twang! SNAP!

The rope finally gives way and the net falls, bursting open as it crashes down onto the remains of the bonfire. The goblins scramble out, howling. Once free of the fire, the three commence to slapping at one another harum-scarum, frantically trying to dislodge the constellations of coals clinging to their rags and hair.

Back at the top of the tripod, Brie discovers that the little mouse is clutching his paw, dangling high over the wreckage of the bonfire, her feet pedaling desperately against the void. "Quickly," she says, "pull me up, chéri!"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Dec 16th, 2020 at 09:29 AM.
  #67  
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,301
Brie et l‘amour
right-aligned image
So many people and animals made fun of rats. Sneaky, they called them, and unclean, gluttonous and good-for-nothing. What would they think when they realized that a „useless“ rat was the only one that could spare a group of goblins from a horrible death by fire? The only one that could guarantee them freedom… assuming the goblins wouldn’t be consumed by the flames they fell into. Brie shrugged. He felt that he had done much more than his duty in this instance, to expect even more from him would be truly ungrateful. If nothing else, he had given the captured goblins a fighting chance. Not a very good one, granted, but still… much more than mother had been given in her hour of need.

"Quickly, pull me up, chéri!"

The dark rat frowned. I am no one’s chéri, lady!, he wanted to shout, but stopped himself. To have a mouse calling him „chéri“ was unthinkable, unnatural even, but what if he heroically saved the mouse and later basked in her gratitude? Would sweet Beau see him in a different light? A more… romantic one? It was worth a try!

"Sure! Hang on to my paw and let me carry you to safety. Now that héroïque Brie is here you have nothing to worry about!" Not having taken a good look at the mouse, he prayed hard she would be a comely one, comely enough to make Beau jealous. Perhaps something good would come out of this after all...


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #68  
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 09:39 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

Beau jumps up and down excitedly as the goblins reach safety, quickly scyrrying over to them as they try and clean themselves of the last remaining embers. Her fear of the large creatures momentarily replaced by elation at their escape, she squeaks at them in the language of the rodents- after all, it seemed to work for the mouse.

'Good! Good!' she panted excitedly. 'If you are all alright, we should not linger- who knows when those men will return?'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #69  
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 09:11 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
A grateful Colette offers sanctuary, information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
"Hang on to my paw and let me carry you to safety. Now that héroïque Brie is here you have nothing to worry about!" Not having taken a good look at the mouse, he prayed hard she would be a comely one, comely enough to make Beau jealous. Perhaps something good would come out of this after all...
Colette, a mouse
right-aligned image
As the little mouse dangles over the guttering bonfire, holding tight to Brie's paw, the rat gives her a quick but calculating once-over. She's pleasant-looking enough, he supposes - for a mouse. Her ears, of course, are far too large and floppy, and they frame a sort of haughty-looking angular snout. And that thin, hairy tail - absolutely ridiculous! And yet, there's something about the tiny doe (the confident twitch of her whiskers in the face of danger, or the mischievous glint in her eye, perhaps?) that's undeniably winsome.

Brie is able to hoist the mouse up and onto the peak of the wooden tripod with ease. She dusts herself off with a series of quick, practiced nibbles, then licks her paws clean. That finished, she turns to regard her rescuer. "Brie, is it? A beautiful name, mon ange! Thank you for your bravery, Brie." She sits up on her haunches and places a forepaw on her chest before bobbing a kind of curtsy. "Colette. Enchantée."

Below, Beau begins squeaking at the goblins. "Good! Good!" she pants excitedly. "If you are all alright, we should not linger- who knows when those men will return?"

Beau's warning brings the formalities to an abrupt close. Colette nods her vigorous agreement agreement. "Oh! She's right, of course! We cannot stay here." The little mouse bounds from the top of the tripod down one of the legs, scampering to the earth with a buoyant grace. "Oh dear," she cries, upon seeing the pitiful state of her goblin companions. "Oh my sweet, sweet Rocco! What have they done to you, mon chouchou?" Having extinguished their tattered vestments, the goblins now sit huddled in the dirt, whimpering. All three have suffered minor burns and they each reek of singed hair, but one in particular seems to have suffered the brunt of the Witch-Hunter's fiery wrath - both his legs are horribly charred. "Oh, Rocco, can you walk, my darling?" Colette nuzzles the creature's outstretched claw before addressing the others: "Niles, Garth, pick him up! Quickly, under his arms!" The other two goblins heave Rocco up, lacing one of his arms over each of their shoulders, such that his useless blackened legs drag limply between them.

The goblin called Niles (the longest of limb and snaggliest of tooth) squeak-howl-clicks something to Colette in his native dialect. He gestures toward toward the tree-line by jutting his chin out repeatedly. "The goblins," Collette explains to the Familiars, "they have hidey-holes all through these woods." She points in the direction Niles had indicated. "There is a safe place, near the Impossibly High Stone Wall. Will you come rest with us a while?"

"I don't know your business here," Colette adds as the goblins begin trudging off, "but if it concerns Furchtbar or la fête, I may be of some help. Come!"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Dec 28th, 2020 at 09:18 PM.
  #70  
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 09:10 AM
NightCheese's Avatar
NightCheese NightCheese is offline
Eternally Snacking Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4191
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Posts: 1,080
Ernest the Cat
right-aligned image

The old tom, having watched the rodents and fox make seemingly quick work of extinguishing the flames, stretched out his front paws, his claws digging into the ground. Ernest's tongue stretched out of his mouth and curled as he let out an extended yawn. "It's true, as the little white one says ...We can't stay here." He stood and trotted over to the rest.

Curious, the dark rat's behavior was towards this new exotic mouse... and where was the rabbit? It is possible Raindrops on Roses could have darted off, but during his lazing about and watching the commotion, Ernest couldn't recall seeing the hare in the mix. Surely his large back paws would have been useful for putting out the fire alongside the fox.

With a slight hop as he made contact, Ernest unhurriedly raked his right side against one of the downed limbs. He turned about, and did it once more down the other side of his torso, scratching the eternal itch that haunted most felines of his age. After two more turns, he was satisfied and lumbered over to the rest of the familiars. The old cat was in no hurry to move, but knew, as Beau had said, their current location was not safe. Who knew when the humans would return. And while they appeared harmless now in their slightly cinged state, he wasn't a fan of goblins, either.

Ernest stretched out his front half one more, leaning back into his haunches, causing his spine to bend like a bow. Once rising, he nodded in Colette's direction, and addressed her through Brie, who spoke the rodent's language. "Who is this little one?" He sat, his tail curling around his bottom. The cat lifted his left paw to his mouth and began to lick between the pads, cleaning them, his long claws outstretched. The cat addressed the mouse, two rats, and fox between the scrapes of his pink tongue. "That was quite the commotion. I'm glad to see that Brie's new friend has made it to the ground safely. " He continued on with the other paw and addressed the group at large, unaware that he was intentionally showing off all of his sharpest parts to the mouse as he spoke to the others.

"Say, has anyone seen the rabbit?"


 


 
__________________
DMing: Cold Case Crew
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by NightCheese; Dec 30th, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
  #71  
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 10:21 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

'I ah,' Beau started, looking around at the mention of their rabbit friend. 'I think he wandered off in the commotion? You know how he is,' she offered, slightly embarassed on the hare's part. 'Always looking for another story. But I'm sure he will catch up with us later,' she squeaked, happily and more confident than she was feeling.

Turning to the little mouse, Beau lowered her snout to the ground, hoping to appear less intimidating to the small creature no larger than her own head. Dealing with smaller animals was quite the novelty for Beau, who decided it was best to make their newfound friend feel at ease.

Not that Colette seemed ill at ease- even after meeting Brie, who was making far less of an effort to appear harmless, or Ernest- who none of them save Brijida could be quite sure wouldn't eat them if given half a chance...

'We- ah,' the white rat interrupted herself, looking at her companions to make sure she wasn't speaking out of turn. 'We would be happy to come along with you, if where you are going is safer than here.' Eyeing her surroundings nervously, she added, 'can't imagine a place more dangerous than this, to be honest.'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #72  
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 12:32 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,301
Brie
right-aligned image
Brie looked at the soft grayish fur covering the mouse lady before him and gave her a toothy grin that marked him more a scoundrel than a gentlerat, at the same time secretly glancing as sweet Beau, who unfortunately didn’t seem to be showing any signs of jealousy.

Hmph! Since Beau doesn’t mind, I might as well keep up the act of the gallant savior.

"Enchanté, Mademoiselle Decollétté… aaah pardon, Colette! It is so nice to meet a mouse of such… raffinement. So, the goblins are your friends? They can be trusted to behave, I hope. They aren’t in any way… sauvages?"

Still looking at the goblins skeptically, Brie’s gaze rested on the charred and useless legs of the one greenskin that had been badly hurt by the fire. His mind immediately went to Alexa the owl, who had lost one of her wings, a terrible injury that would have sentenced her to a horrible life of hobbling instead of flying had Mother not magically intervened. What would Brie have done if a terrible accident had cost him one or even two of his legs? Without the ability to run and hide, he might as well have been struck dead…

Caution and compassion fighting to gain the upper hand inside him, Brie approached Ernest and beckoned him to lower his head so that the rat could whisper something in his ear.

"You know, Ernest, we -or rather you- have the power to restore the goblin’s legs to their former state. Remember your collier morbide? Sorry, I meant the magical raccoon’s paw you carry. We could spend one of its charges to undo the damage the fire has caused. The real question is if the goblins can be trusted. I would hate to heal one of the greenskins only to have more of them chasing us around in order to cook and eat us for dinner and I wouldn’t want to feed their greed with such a powerful magical treasure either, but what if they can truly help us accomplish our goal? They are much more human-like than we are. I mean, they even have opposable thumbs, imagine what they could accomplish if they chose to assist us! Anyway, I know what Beau would say and Brijida is rather soft-hearted too. What about you however, the brain of this group?"

The rat knew that he was being more toady than a toad, but experience had taught him that this was the only safe way to approach a hungry feline with a question or problem of his own.

"The mouse seems trustworthy enough… Do we risk everything or do we part ways?"


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #73  
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 11:49 AM
NightCheese's Avatar
NightCheese NightCheese is offline
Eternally Snacking Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4191
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Posts: 1,080
"What about you however, the brain of this group?"

Ernest the Cat
right-aligned image


In spite of his aging body, Ernest cranked his neck backward as far as it would go and looked down. He had forgotten all about the raccoon paw, gifted to them by Tolle the Troll, and now that he saw it swaying back and forth he used his left paw to bat at the dangling item.

"Ah, yes.... this paw. " He became distracted and batted at it again. In spite of his best efforts to stay on task, Ernest was, after all, a cat, and thus eternally distracted by dangling objects. "You ah, flatter me. I do have the larger brain here." Somehow, despite the endless entertainment it could have provided, the bombay returned his attention to the group, his eyes returning to glance at the object every time it swung into the periphery. "I suppose you have a point, rat."

And with as much enthusiasm and empathy as the old cat could offer, he walked over to the goblins and headbutted them on the legs. He payed special attention to Rocco, who seemed to be the most injured of all. He then rested his belly in the dirt, and watched intently. As he waited to witness the paw's effects, he shifted his weight rapidly between his back legs, ears turning slightly backward and his long tail twitching at the tip.

"To this hideway, then?"



 
__________________
DMing: Cold Case Crew
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by NightCheese; Jan 4th, 2021 at 11:51 AM.
  #74  
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 10:55 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
The Familiars quit the forest for more secure environs

Colette, a mouse
right-aligned image
Beau is the first to respond to Colette's offer. "We - ah," the white rat interrupts herself, looking at her companions to make sure she isn't speaking out of turn. "We would be happy to come along with you, if where you are going is safer than here." Eyeing her surroundings nervously, she adds, "Can't imagine a place more dangerous than this, to be honest."

"Oh, of course, very safe, belle." Colette answers. "Goblins have the most confortable hidey-holes." She gives Beau a reassuring pat on the paw. "And they are wonderful hosts, despite their reputation to the contrary." She regards the rest of the Familiars hopefully.

Despite Colette's reassurances, Brie, too, is dubious about the goblins' civility. "So, the goblins are your friends?" he asks. "They can be trusted to behave, I hope. They aren’t in any way… sauvages?" The mouse gives her head a vigorous shake. "Oh, no-no-no, chéri," she scolds. "A terrible misconception. Goblins are quite gentle and companionable as a rule." She twitches her nose thoughtfully. "I have lived among them long enough to speak some of their language, but you will forgive them if they have not yet mastered Lingua Rodentia; it is not for lack of intellect, but my failings as a teacher." She brightens, adding, "They are quite receptive to pantomime." Seeing that Brie's fears have been (at least somewhat) allayed, Colette drops to all fours and scurries after the limping goblins.

Seeing how Niles and Garth are struggling to drag Rocco to safety, Brie suggests that Ernest use Tolle's lucky racoon paw to salve their wounds. With as much enthusiasm and empathy as the old cat can offer, he walks over to the goblins and headbutts them on the legs. Warm, fetid steam erupts from the goblins' wounds as Ernest swipes the racoon paw across their charred legs. In a blink, the stinking cloud has enveloped the horrible red lesions weeping through Rocco's blackened skin. The goblin yelps in surprise as the old tom brushes by, but immediately relaxes as the paw's magic takes effect, slumping forward with a deep, shameless sigh of relief. When the stinking fog dissipates, the Familiars can see that all the goblins' injuries have been replaced with perfectly smooth, hairless patches of new chartreuse skin.

Colette squeaks in excitement. "Très magnifique! My sweet Rocco is healed!" The mouse beams with gratitude. In a clumsy, heavily-accented cat, she exclaims, "Thank you, friend!" She offers Ernest a low bow, guileless despite the tom's recent display of claw and tooth. "Come," she calls to the others, scaling Niles' pant-leg. "We can move swiftly now." The mouse scurries up the goblin's side and slides into his vest pocket.

Before the assembly departs for the hideout, they circle back to collect Raindrops on Roses from the bush where he'd been hiding from the Witch-Hunter's henchmen. To their surprise, the hare is nowhere to be found. A search of the surroundings reveals only a baffling trample of muddy earth and a single tuft of the rabbit's fur, found clinging to a low branch. What's more, the human assailant, Geoff, seems to have fled as well. His hatchet is missing, likely reclaimed once Brie's phantasmal distraction had lapsed. The Familiars can't be sure what's become of their cunicular companion; whether Raindrops wandered off in an absentminded daze or became the victim of some unspeakable misfortune remains, for the time, a mystery.

The unlikely company, under the direction of Niles and his brethren, abandon the Deer Path and take to the wilds. The goblins deftly negotiate brush and thicket with nary a whisper, slipping between the trees like shadows. Even without a clear path to tread, the party is able to navigate the forest with quick confidence, and soon the Familiars find themselves at their destination.

From the outside, the goblin's den is nearly invisible, appearing to be nothing more than tree, toppled by some particularly violent wind. Only once Rocco disappears below the upended fan of tangled roots at the fallen tree's base does the entrance to the burrow reveal itself. Following their goblin guides, the Familiars slip belowground. The tunnel is dark and cool, the walls speckled with glittering frost. They descend quickly, scrambling for footing on the steep slope, but are soon deposited in a surprisingly large, sunless chamber.

The goblin called Garth (notable for his jaunty red ascot and perpetually stupefied expression) places a gnarled claw on a large, egg-shaped stone, barely visible at the center of the quarters. He whistles a series of sharp notes and a light begins to radiate from within the rock, filling the room with dim light and delicious warmth. By the orange glow of the stone, the Familiars find that the den is packed with provisions and myriad other comforts. The walls are pocked with cubbies, crammed to bursting with dried fruits and meats, neatly folded linens, a collection of well-loved books, and other sundries. Woven hammocks swing gently from exposed roots looping from the low ceiling.

Niles makes a sweeping gesture and squeaks some words in his goblin tongue to indicate that the hideout and its contents are at the Familiars' disposal. Then, with a gentleness that borders on reverence, he plucks Colette from his breast pocket and places her on the ground near the incandescent stone. "Merci, Niles," the little mouse lilts, smoothing her long whiskers. "Now," she says, turning to the Familiars and planting her tiny fists on her hips, "what business could be so important that otherwise sensible animals would dare approach Pont Blanc during a human festival?"
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Feb 11th, 2022 at 11:47 PM.
  #75  
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 02:20 PM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Beau
right-aligned image

Beau looked up and around at the goblin's lair, amazed with the industriousness that must've gone into setting the place up. She was especially captivated by the orange light of the goblin's glowing stone, amazed at how casually these creatures wielded such magic. Even with Abigail's guidance, Beau had struggled to perform her own, rather limited form of magic. But these goblins had no witch to guide them, and yet they performed their spell effortlessly.

The white rat sat there, staring at the soft light of the stone, almost missing Colette's words. Then she sat upright, startled by her own lack of attention for the mouse's question. 'Ah, yes-' the rat started, looking at the small but confident mouse. For a moment she hesitated, thinking it might be best not to spoil their plans to this stranger... But considering Furchtbar's men and that awful goose, Bart, had just tried to burn her friends alive... Perhaps she was worth trusting? She had, after all, done more for her friends than Beau herself had done for Abigail.

'What business brings us here? Justice,' she said, feeling a little more confident now that she had spoken the word aloud. 'Setting things right. The men who hurt your friends, they work for someone who... Who did the same to our mistress,' she said, her voice losing some of its strength as the memories came back. 'Only worse. We want to restore her, but... For that, we need powerful magic. And for that, we need some things from the human town...'


 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB