Game Thread Interlude: Further Plotting & Planning - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > The Witch is Dead, Volume I
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 03:21 PM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Zorandicus
right-aligned image

Zorandicus watched the rats chew through the wood, in equal parts amazed and amused... And hungry. The little rotund rats, their tiny little teeth scratching and scraping along the wood, the chewing noises they were making... It reminded him of the feast he was denying himself for the sake of this alliance. Had any of the rodents been able to tear themselves away from their task long enough to glance over their shoulders, they would have found two very hungry eyes staring back.

He was roused from his daydreaming by the cat's question. 'That I can. The humans... Worthless as most of their kind are, beyond the great amounts of succulent meat they carry with them on their bones... Even I must admit, some of them do have a knack for creating things. Interesting things. I look forward to learning what hidden knowledge this one might have squirreled away,' he said, before drifting off back to his daydreams again, thinking of tender squirrel flesh as the rats chewed and chewed...

 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #17  
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 09:09 PM
lydklein's Avatar
lydklein lydklein is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 12th, 2024
RPXP: 9729
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Posts: 8,180
Brijida
right-aligned image
The ride down from the apothecary was surprisingly enjoyable. Rocco was as careful as a goblin could be with a full grown red fox on his back and Brijida was grateful for that. She was not a creature made for heights. Or falling from great heights either! Nope nope nope.

Inside the apothecary itself the vixen was feeling her inner puppy itching to run around and explore. Instead she only allowed herself to wander around at a much more restrained pace sniffing and snuffling for any clues to... well anything helpful. As it was she nearly knocked over several objects (or rather her very long and enthusiastic tail). Each time she heard the objects rattle behind her the redhead's body froze. When no shattering followed she breathed a sigh of relief and continued her "investigation". Eventually, her foray brought her around to where the Wiserats were busy gnawing away at the wood of the cabinetry. Ears perking up at their activities Brijida found their actions fascinating.

Ernest's request interrupted her gawking. "Yes, yes. We keep watch. We'll watch and warn you all if someone comes by. Come, come, Rocco. I like you. You are a good friend person." A happy chirp and she trotted away to stand watch with her new 'buddy'.
OOC and Stats
 
__________________
DM:The Night Blade; "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ;
Taken the Oath of Sangus
  #18  
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
GMThe Not-So-Goodfellas jump at Brie’s command, eager to do anything but skulk in the apothecary’s shadowy recesses. After their long day in hiding, the rats are possessed by the overwhelming urge to move - to run, claw, and bite. They assail the cabinet as though it were a sumptuous feast or hated adversary, gnashing at the wood door with such exuberance that the air soon swirls with a flurry of sawdust.

Tasked with guard duty, Rocco clicks his heels and gives Ernest a snappy salute before taking up his post near the shop’s front door. Brijida joins the goblin soon after, nosing her way under one of his lanky arms. He gives the vixen a loving pat on the shoulder and the two set about the business of diligently monitoring the street for suspicious activity.

Meanwhile, the wiserats have made short work of the chemist’s cabinet door, utterly annihilating the wood panel and leaving only the creaking hasp and hinges to flap uselessly at its margins. From inside the dark cubby the Familiars withdraw a loosely-bound sheaf of creased and yellowed papers. Among the stack’s timeworn pages, Zorandicus is able to identify the following, potentially useful, recipes:
  • Althavorel’s Serum of Modest Growth - Target grows to 1.5x its normal size for d4 hours
  • Lady Ami Brand Diminishing Salve - Target shrinks to 0.25x its normal size for d4 hours
  • Plowman’s Helper Strength Potion - Target becomes stronger (+4 to Fierce) for d2 hours
  • Sticky Goo Mountaineering Paste - Target gains ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings for d10 minutes
  • Enter Sandman Sleep Aid - Target instantly falls asleep and will not wake (except by magical means) for d8 hours
  • Bonnie’s Good Luck Lip Balm - Target gets lucky (roll all tests twice and take the best result) for d2 hours
  • Nana’s Secret Beef and Barley - A recipe for plain old soup
In addition, Andy can translate the little labels identifying the myriad pills and tinctures set out for sale on the shop’s many shelves. These include various:
  • Analgesics
  • Antiseptics
  • Laxatives
  • Emetics
  • Antacids
  • Antifungals
  • Antiflatulents
  • Lubricating eye drops
  • Burn creams
  • Acne treatments
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG

Last edited by Mallothi; Sep 28th, 2021 at 03:20 PM.
  #19  
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 06:52 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Zorandicus
right-aligned image

As soon as the wiserats finish chewing through the cabinet and bring out the bound papers, Zorandicus lands amidst them, hardly even noticing their frightened squeaks. Wholly obsessed with this fount of alchemical formulae, he pours over the notes, greedily absorbing the knowledge held within. 'My, my,' the owl hoots, obviously excited by the find. 'What a naughty little pharmasist we have here. Aside from some more mundane recipes, he has a collection of rather arcane formulae. Even suspecting the existence of half of them would get him burned at the stake, after a few days of thorough torture, of course.'

Bobbing his head, the owl grins. 'Yes, the most merciful thing to do, would be to remove these recipes from the premise. I would just hate for the witchhunters to find out about the pharmacist's secret. I'll be taking these with me, soon as we're done.' His next high in the abandoned bell tower would be a far better hiding place for such dangerous information.

'For now, though, this will suit our purposes nicely. There's even a shrinking potion, like you asked!' the owl laughs, shaking his head. This pharmasist's skill appeared to far outclass Althavorel's, even if most of his work seemed a bit... Experimental. 'Growth serums, too- and not just for part of the anatomy, either. Climbing paste, a temporary strength boost, a sleeping potion... Improved luck via- ah, lip balm, that's a pity,' the owl whined, considering his beak. 'And... Soup! What a delightful addition to this collection!'

'But that's not all,' he announced, rising again from his hunched position over the papers to look at his companions. 'I had a chance to peruse the store's supplies, while you were... Dining,' he says, looking again at the ragged hole in the cabinet. 'Some of these bottles contain laxatives. Others, emetics. I doubt they wil help us deal with the guards, since these medicines need to be ingested... But if we gain access to the kitchen, we might be able to cause quite a bit of chaos.'

'There is a catch,' the owl announced, dampening everyone's spirit a little. 'The duration of the potions is... Not exact. It seems our pharmacist, while talented, is but a dabbler, unconcerned with exact measurements. They may last an hour, or several. There is no easy way to dispel most of them, I fear. And, I remind you, these recipes were written for humans. I cannot vouch for their effectiveness when used by animals- or any unforeseen consequences. That said,' he grins, 'I am more than willing to brew some of these potions and salves for you. And, fortunately,' he adds, eyeing the wiserats, 'we have quite a few test subjects, if you are hesitant to try the brew yourselves.'

 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #20  
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 12:34 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,302
Brie
right-aligned image
Brie was truly glad that he was a rat that day. What other animal, humans included, would have been able to do what the Not-So-Goodfellas had accomplished within mere minutes? Sweet Beau looking down from above was sure to be proud of him!

"Excellent job, Wiserats! You have brought honor upon your Boss, yourselves and your whole species this day. Well done!"

The dark rat approached Don Rico‘s minions and in a rare gesture of magnanimity gave Wensley and Dale an affectionate hug as the members of the Ratfia were known to do during marriages, baptisms and other extraordinary celebrations like when a feline got „whacked“ or was given „cement paws“. Brie‘s excitement grew even further, along with his grin, which could easily rival that of a Cheshire cat, when he heard Andy read aloud the long list of recipes and potions the apothecary had been hoarding.

"Finally, something we can use! Now, that is what I call options. We should of course take all recipes with us, along with the potions that… „unsettle“ the peptic system." At this point Brie‘s grin looked more similar to that of an imp than a cat. "We have won them Be advised that the concept of fairness, contrary to squareness, is rather loose among rats.fair and square after all."

Winking at the others, certain that they too could think of a hundred and one ways to put said potions and elixirs to good use, Brie called Brijida to return from sentry duty.

"Ernest, Briji, your time for adventurous experimentation has finally come! What potion should the owl prepare? Andy, do you think you could mix more than just one magical cocktail before we are forced to leave the shop? I have so many „fun“ ideas I am eager to test!"


 


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #21  
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 02:38 PM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Zorandicus
right-aligned image

'Oh, it would be my delight, testing out these new formulae,' Zorandicus confessed with glee. 'I am indeed quite eager to get started. However, I do not think this apothecary had any independently working assistants. I fear there will be but one workstation, one set of tools to work with. Meaning I can work on but one potion at a time- and while I would be delighted to work on these for the remainder of the evening... I assume at some point the apothecary will return, and be none too pleased when he finds us here.'

'So! Unless you wish to aid me in reducing this apothecary to a meal,'
the owl whispered, his beak practically watering at the thought of succulent human flesh, 'I would advise haste. Or, at least, a list of priorities- which potion must be finished, first, and if there's time, which potion to get started on, next.'

 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #22  
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 09:52 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
GM - MechanicsHere is how crafting potions will work in our game:
  • The Familiars et al have a total of 10 total hours to spend in the apothecary shop before sunrise, when the chemist will presumably return
  • The Familiars needn’t use all 10 hours
  • Each crafting session takes d2 hours to complete and yields 1 human-sized dose of the chosen potion
  • The Familiars can spend multiple sessions crafting the same potion to collect additional doses
  • Each crafting session will require Andy to use his magic and pass a DC 6 Clever test to achieve the desired result
  • In the event of a failure, the PCs will roll on the Failure Table (below) to determine their consequence
  • Failures cost precious time and still use up the hours necessary to craft, even if the yield is useless
  • The effectiveness of any potion will be determined at the time of its use (i.e. how long it lasts)

FAILURE TABLE:
Roll d10Result
1The potion takes on an alarming green phosphorescence; it is also very poisonous
2The potion becomes a useless, oily mess
3The potion explodes in a (harmless) cloud of glitter; all characters within 20’ of the blast are now sparkly
4The potion becomes a highly-caffeinated energy drink
5The potion briefly becomes a sentient jelly before expiring in horrible agony
6The potion seems to be actively resisting its own creation; the session takes twice as long as it should and the results are useless
7The potion becomes a foul gas that smells like an oniony burp
8The potion vaporizes, becoming a cloud that causes sudden hair/feather loss; roll a DC 8 Quick test to avoid the smoke’s effects
9The potion erupts unexpectedly into flames, burning down the apothecary; no additional potions can be crafted
10The potion is a pot of strong coffee

Once the PCs have decided how many hours to spend crafting potions, DemonSlayer should use the following Potion Crafting Table template to organize all the rolls and their results. In this instance, please post in the game thread and not the dice rolling thread. You can either post multiple times, until you’ve used up all the hours you want to spend, or you can simply post once, using a table with 10 lines - we’ll just drop any lines that would occur after the time limit has been reached.

EXAMPLE POTION CRAFTING TABLE:
Recipe AttemptedTime Spent (hr)Pass/Fail (Clever test)Fail Result
Example
Dice Roll:
1d2 2
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (3)+3 Total = 6
Dice Roll:
1d6 4
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    

Lastly, a few notes about the mundane medicines in the shop:
  • Finding and collecting any number of pre-made medicines takes a total of 1 hour
  • Rocco can hold a total of 10 human-sized doses of any combination of medicines in his backpack
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #23  
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 01:30 PM
NightCheese's Avatar
NightCheese NightCheese is offline
Eternally Snacking Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 4191
NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese NightCheese
Posts: 1,080
Ernest the cat
right-aligned image
Ernest pondered the potion options for a moment, and though his stomach growled, he made other suggestions. "While satisfying hunger with a touch of a snack is on my mind, and soup is always delightful, I do have other suggestions..."

He recalled the list, and looked to the owl, then the rest of the group. "perhaps we should attempt the shrinking one for Briji? And bring along a brew or two of the sleeping one, should we find any humans in need of containing? OH, and Rocco, say you fetch some of the medicine that makes humans ill. That could prove a most useful distraction."

He circled a spot on the bar three times, and sat upright on his hind legs, and began licking one of his paws, awaiting a reply.




 
__________________
DMing: Cold Case Crew
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by NightCheese; Oct 4th, 2021 at 01:31 PM.
  #24  
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:36 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Recipe AttemptedTime Spent (hr)Pass/Fail (Clever test)Fail Result
Lady Ami Brand Diminishing Salve
Dice Roll:
1d2 2
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (7)+3 Total = 10
Dice Roll:
1d6 2
Lady Ami Brand Diminishing Salve
Dice Roll:
1d2 2
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (8)+3 Total = 11
Dice Roll:
1d6 6
Plowman’s Helper Strength Potion
Dice Roll:
1d2 2
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (8)+3 Total = 11
 
Bonnie’s Good Luck Lip Balm
Dice Roll:
1d2 1
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (7)+3 Total = 10
Dice Roll:
1d6 1
Bonnie’s Good Luck Lip Balm
Dice Roll:
1d2 1
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (10 (natural 10))+3   Total = 13
Dice Roll:
1d6 2
Dice Roll:
1d6 5
   
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #25  
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:19 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Recipe AttemptedTime Spent (hr)Pass/Fail (Clever test)Fail Result
Plowman’s Helper Strength Potion
Dice Roll:
1d2 1
Dice Roll:
1d10+3sch6 (7)+3 Total = 10
Dice Roll:
1d6 3
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel
  #26  
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 06:29 AM
DemonSlayer's Avatar
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 11680
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Posts: 7,179
Zorandicus
right-aligned image

With their priorities determined, Zorandicus set to work. A few claps of his wings brought him to the workstation's surface, where he set down his talons. His head slowly spinning around, the owl regarded each labeled vial, case and container in the dimly lit apothecary's shop. His keen sight allowed him to discern the writing on each label accurately, quickly identifying the ingredients necessary to his labour.

'Ah, yes,' Zorandicus hummed when he found the bottles he needed. Pushing a pan onto a burner, he indicated to Brijida that she should get the fire started. Next, he grabbed a flask of beeswax, and carefully poured the contents into the pan. Then, as the wax settled along the pan's surface, Zorandicus took the next bottle- filled with oil- and poured its contents onto the wax. 'And now we wait for them to mix,' he said, although his voice indicated he was not explaining the process as much as he was excitedly commenting on his own work. The sky might be his domain, but the alchemist's workplace was the temple where Zorandicus worked his miracles. And there would be many miracles to work, this night...

Once the mixture was boiling, Zorandicus dutifully followed the recipe, adding one ingredient after the next, his labour interrupted only by the occasion mumbled comment. It took a while for the mixture to complete but, as expected, the salve was finished without fault. Cackling madly at his succes, Zorandicus flew up and grabbed a small box and wooden spoon. Then, turning to Rocco, he bobbed his head, indicating the goblin should start scooping the salve into the box for safekeeping.

'That was hardly a challenge,' Zorandicus indicated. 'But alchemy is hungry work. Are you sure I can't...' he asked Brie and Ernest, nodding his head meaningfully at the wiserats. 'No? A pity. Very well,' he sighed. 'Let's see if I can repeat my work. Repetition is the basis of all study, after all.'

Pushing the pan off the flame, Zorandicus set a new pan above the fire, and began his work anew. Having performed the steps once, creating a second dose of Lady Ami's salve proved to be child's play. Nonetheless, the process was time consuming- although now, the owl was not experimenting, but memorizing.

After finishing, Zorandicus pushed the pan aside and indicated again to Rocco that he should get to scooping. Zorandicus then looked around, bored with having created the same salve twice and looking for a new challenge. A growth potion, he considered would be quite useful for their mission, and a boon to his cause to boot. Who knew what sort of havoc he could cause, if he fed this potion to the raven population? The owl chuckled at the thought of black-feathered monsters descending onto the human population, ripping apart the citizens and their damnable roofs both.

Setting the wiserats to work gathering herbs and oils, Zorandicus continued his work, first mixing oils and herbs to create a strength potion, then butter, oils and more beeswax to mix two batches of lip balm- which he hoped would work equally well on his lipless beak. If not, he would have to find some means of altering the formula.

Finishing his labour with another Plowman's potion, Zorandicus turned to the familiars and their servants. 'It is done,' the owl said. 'A potion for strength, a balm of fortune, and a salve of shrinking. Two of each,' he added. 'Quite magnificent. And with time to spare! If you have quite gathered all the emetics and laxatives you could find, I think we would best make our escape.' Glancing sideways at the burner, an evil smile appeared on the owl's face. 'And I have found just the way for us to, ah... Destroy any evidence of our presence here... We wouldn't want to risk the Academy discovering someone has been mixing magic potions, would we?'


 

 
__________________
Characters: Anchor, Selanet, Aramil, Mhurren, Hazel

Last edited by DemonSlayer; Oct 13th, 2021 at 06:31 AM.
  #27  
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
GMWhile Zorandicus is hard at work brewing the Familiars’ arsenal of elixirs, Brijida dutifully alternates between checking the street for human activity and searching the apothecary for less obvious items of use. The vixen’s rummaging proves fruitless until, at last, she discovers something tucked away at the back of a neglected, cobwebby cupboard - a small leather pouch that seems to vibrate, just a little. With Rocco’s help, Brijida is able to loosen the pouch’s drawstring, revealing a beige, talc-soft powder inside. The goblin frowns at the strip of paper fixed to the trailing end of the drawstring, then brightens. He pantomimes scooping up a little fistful of the stuff and blows a blast of air across his palm. Then Rocco squeals, clamps his eyes shut tight, and slaps at his face, staggering around in a circle. His histrionics convey the item’s purpose clear enough: blinding powder.

Andy, whose command of the humans’ written word is greater than the goblin’s, later confirms the dust’s usage and purported potency. Furthermore, it is the owl who suggests that—lacking hands—the Familiars might steep their animal limbs in the stuff, impregnating fur or feather with the material for easy dispersion at a later, opportune moment.


GM - OOC/MechanicsPocket Sand - This fine powder can be blown into the face of an enemy to blind them for d10 minutes. The item can be deployed almost instantaneously, and requires no rolls to be (Assuming the target is not already protected in some way, e.g. wearing a face covering)used successfully. Because the Familiars don’t have pockets, they can instead “load” their fur or feathers with the powder ahead of time; they only risk unintentional deployment of the sand under the most (i.e. rolling at/under their current DANGER level on some unrelated test)catastrophic failure conditions. The Familiars find 2 doses in the pouch.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #28  
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Elanir's Avatar
Elanir Elanir is online now
Astinus in disguise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 23rd, 2024
RPXP: 40390
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Posts: 9,302
Brie the Alchemist
right-aligned image
Alchemy was supposed to be a fascinating art or so at least Andy had claimed. The owl had spoken at great length, jumping up and down excitedly first on one, then the other taloned foot, about the great work and the incredible wonders one could achieve by combining the necessary reagents in accordance with their affiliation to the elements, the planets and even the genders. Iron, copper and lead could be turned, according to the bird, to gold, if one knew the secret to such a feat, the ravages of time could be halted, even reversed, and if one was sufficiently skilled even the academician‘s rock could be crafted!

Or was it the philosopher‘s stone? To tell the truth, Brie could barely follow the chatty owl, who seemed to enjoy the sound of his own voice just a tad too much, and the rat had apparently dozed off once or twice (or thrice) as Andy explained the significance of the fourteen steps of alchemy, the importance of the hermetic tradition and what the saying „as above, so below“ really meant.

After such a lengthy and extremely detailed diatribe, and since he seemed to be the owl‘s only pupil, since the fox, the cat and the goblin, not to mention his cousins and their minions, had wisely vanished at about the time Andy started explaining the difference between nigredo and albedo, Brie decided to give this „great art“ a chance. Who knew? Perhaps he was a natural.

It soon became apparent, however, that an owl‘s definition of „fascinating“ was totally different from that of a rodent‘s. The rat waited to see something spectacular as the beeswax was being slowly melted in the pan and as oil was added to the mix, but apart from a few bubbles and a smell that reminded him of a kind of ointment Mother used to prepare to remove the hair from her legs (why she was doing such a thing, Brie could never fathom), absolutely nothing happened - other than Brie growing hungry, that was.

Taking advantage of one of the owl’s frequent cackling fits, Brie literally turned tail and looked for something to eat. Unfortunately, the Wiserats, having come to the same conclusion a lot sooner than he had and having the advantage of numbers, seemed to have devoured everything even potentially edible inside the shop, which forced the dark rat to satisfy his appetite by munching on the apothecary‘s ledger. It certainly wasn’t as tasty or nutritious as a large slice of Valençay cheese, but being a rat, Brie had learnt to make the most of a given situation.

His belly full of yellowed paper and black ink, it wasn’t long before the rodent felt exhaustion, both physical and mental, turning his eyelids to lead and he decided to close them for just a few seconds. In his dreams he was a master alchemist and Beau his apprentice and together they managed to accomplish their magnum „opossum“, the cheesemonger‘s stone that could transform anything to dairy products. Armed with this most potent of mystical weapons Brie faced Ulrich von Furchtbar and was crowned Don under the Mountain after presenting the inhabitants of Little Rataly with more cheese than they could eat in ten lifetimes.

Andy‘s cries woke him up just before he and Beau exchanged vows, symbolically „tangling“ their tails to show that they would be following the same path from now on. Wensley and Dale’s snickering told Brie that he must have been snoring again, but a fierce look and a not so subtle impersonation of the owl was able to silence them without great difficulty. Trying to act as if he had been actively participating in the alchemical process the whole time, Brie nodded vigorously at Andy‘s words.

"Let‘s do it! Ready when you are."


 


 
__________________
He/Him - I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Running Dragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance (Age of Mortals) 5e DnD campaign
  #29  
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 11:25 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
GM“Up, damn you! Oi, Squints! Wake up!”

Sterling Thatcher (better known, to his great annoyance, as “Squints”) wakes to the sound of his brother-in-law Claud’s insistent bawling. The man hauls himself up to sitting, bewildered and half-drunk. A bundle of sour-smelling clothes, still damp with sweat and spilled ale, are shoved into his arms. “Half the damn village is burning, you shriveled bull’s-pizzle! Up! Up! Sterling blinks stupidly. But I was having such a lovely dream…

Sterling is still pulling on his hose when his bare feet hit the freezing cold mud of the street outside the tenement-house. Claud was right - at least a half-dozen buildings on the nearby Guild Row are fully engulfed in flame, and a handful more are fairly glowing from the immense heat, moments from catching. Claud claps a powerful hand on the smaller man’s shoulder. “Don’t just stand there, you clay-brained whoreson! Grab a bucket!” The bleary-eyed men of Whitebridge—most operating on fewer than two hours’ sobriety—have formed a ragged line between one of the town’s water-towers and the growing blaze. Sterling staggers in a tight circle, looking for a bucket. Finding none, he shuffles back toward the tenement and plucks a misplaced chamber-pot from the gutter. The battered vessel is slick with what Sterling can only hope is mud. The man belches, gags, and trots back onto the street to take his place in the miserable fire brigade. It’s a leaderless and inefficient affair; the men chuck their buckets down the line with wanton negligence, sloshing water onto the feet of their neighbors with every handoff. Each container that passes through Sterling’s hands contains barely a cupful of liquid, and even less will ever reach the fire. Oh, what a pity, he moans, stamping his feet in the squelchy mud, vainly attempting to warm them. It was a lovely dream, that.

None of the men notice the constellation of animal eyes glowing in the gloom of the nearby alley. The Familiars know it is dangerous to linger here, but they can’t help but risk a moment to savor the fruits of their handiwork. And the fire is glorious. Like an incandescent golem born of the hate in their hearts, the blaze ravages the human village, consuming all. To think such destruction could be wrought with the simple—almost casual—flick of a fox’s tail… A single well-placed spark... It was certain to be lost on mankind, but there was a lesson here for the vile dullards: even the smallest creature may precipitate momentous events.

Suddenly, a hysterical scream cuts through the general commotion, stopping the men dead. Sterling looks up from his work. His mouth falls open, and the pail that he is holding slips, forgotten, from his fingers. BA-BOOOM! Guild Row erupts with white-hot light. BOOM-BOOM-BOOM! A blinding explosion flings a dazzling spray of kaleidoscopic sparks in all directions, sealing two blocks under a shimmering dome of color. A half-second later a concussive blast knocks Sterling flat on his back in the muck, where he gasps for air as though kicked by a horse. Claud’s face floats into his awareness, haloed with multicolored light. Sterling can see his brother-in-law’s lips moving, but he can’t quite make out the words. BOOM! “Damn festival—” BOOM-BOOM! “C’mon Squints—” BA-BOOM! “—damn fireworks!” Sterling’s eyes widen. Fireworks. A whole cart-full, meant for the festival’s grand finale, has caught fire. BA-BOOOOOM!

The whole village shakes. Thick, acrid smoke blankets the streets. The obscuring cloud glows orange with the fire’s light, pulsing bright-white with each pyrotechnic blast. The terrified shouts of men ring high and clear through the pre-dawn streets. It is perhaps the most beautiful sound the Familiars have ever heard. Under cover of fire, smoke, and general calamity the animals slip away, toward Summitstone and their bloody vengeance.

For Beau.

For The Witch.

For Mother.
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
  #30  
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 11:28 PM
Mallothi's Avatar
Mallothi Mallothi is offline
Higitus Figitus
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2024
RPXP: 8572
Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi Mallothi
Posts: 1,539
THIS INTERLUDE IS NOW CLOSED.

Please proceed to Chapter 4: Assault on Summitstone
__________________
Adventure skeleton, Exquisite Corpse RPG
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB