The Silent Tide - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
South of Heaven
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 2082
Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm
Posts: 3,265
The Silent Tide

Your boots squash with fetid water as you plod through the Puddles. A thick fog hangs in the air, seeming almost to caress the flesh with an unnatural chill. As you stand outside the Soggy Piper in a foot and a half of brackish brine, you try to recall what was so damned important to demand your presence in the half flooded slum during Absalomís rainy season.

You remember your meeting at the Lodge just a few hours earlier with your Venture-Captain, Adril Hestram. A bear of a man with only a few teeth remaining in his head, he motioned you into the meeting hall with a casual wave of his grizzled hand. The human captain outweighs most of Absalomís half-orcs.

Though a layer of beefy blubber coats his frame, those of you who have tangled with him in the Lodge sparring ring know that beneath this thin veneer of fat lies nothing but solid, steely sinew. Adrilís wild beard wags to the ponderous shake of his massive head as he examines a scrap of ancient parchment on the table before raising his eyes to greet your gaze and speaks.

ďCome in then, friends, and thank you for answering my summons so swiftly. The society is in need. An old and quite penniless historian, a bespectacled wag-beard by the name of Yargos Gill has recently made a discovery in an old archive that we have a great interest in obtaining: an ancient codebook, left behind in the wake of one of Taldorís many failed attempts at invasion. This several-hundred-year-old text would prove an excellent addition to our collection, and must be preserved".

ďYargos makes his home in ĎThe Puddles,í Absalomís poorest district, suffering from a well-known reputation as a haven for lowlifes. Following an earthquake ten years ago, parts of the Puddles now rest below sea level, resulting in frequent and untimely flooding. Those who can afford not to live there donít.

ďThe district is the stomping ground of pimps, harlots, addicts, knifers, and hoards of unseemly derelicts. Itís never been a kind place, but recent reports reveal some new nameless terror on her waterlogged streets. Several persons claim to have seen cloaked, skeletal-like figures marching through an unnatural fog.

Ill tidings indeed. Tracking down Yargos is now a priority lest some yellow-toothed thug cut him down, or one of these strange wraiths carry him beyond the pale. Find him, fellow Pathfinders, and find the codebook. Your exploits will be recorded in the Chronicles if you succeed.Ē


The memory fades as a fresh deluge of cold seawater rounds a bend in the lane and assaults your knees. After searching for Yargos at his favorite eatery, the Soggy Piper, you learned you just missed him. According to the Piperís staff, a gang of dangerous young tattooed toughs arrived ahead of you.

They grabbed Yargos and several of his friends from their dinner table and dragged them to a nearby cliff at the edge of the Puddle District. The watch was called, but they will arrive too late, as they often do in the Puddles, when they bother to venture there at all.

It is early evening, the first Wealday of the month of Desnus, an old man is about to face some awful fate at the sea cliff known as Torsenís Maw, and you are no closer to finding the codebook Adril sent you for.

Last edited by Storm; Feb 14th, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 04:08 AM
coldmug's Avatar
coldmug coldmug is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 5th, 2014
RPXP: 272
coldmug coldmug coldmug
Posts: 175
The twilight of sunset surrounded Reyd as he grumbled looking down. His bare feet sloshed around in the salty brackish water. His boots lay strung around his neck. The group was making slow movement through the flooded streets. The only thing worse would be if it were to start raining again.

He peered up at the surrounding buildings. Rickety old wooden affairs with foundations nearly rotted away, nestled closely together. The narrow street was dimly lit. He looked at the roofs and and wondered. He made a
Dice Rolling perception to spot a foothold:
1d20+18 (5)+18 Total = 23
quick scan to see if he could climb to the rooftops.

Gentlemen! A life is at stake and we are making slow progress. I think I should perhaps scout ahead and see what exactly is going on.

 

Last edited by coldmug; Jan 11th, 2014 at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Kainti's Avatar
Kainti Kainti is offline
Pissant
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 3rd, 2014
RPXP: 300
Kainti Kainti Kainti Kainti
Posts: 1,696
Naum stared at his bare feet caked with muck enough to look shod. Puddles seemed a delicate understatement to him. The half-orc perked up at Reyd's proposal. His arms made a sudden writhing mass beneath his damp poncho, footsteps slurping as he approached the man.

If you think that safe, I think it wise. He extended a small glass vial of brown liquid. But if you find a bolt in your belly, drink this and find us quickly. For Adril's words hung in his mind.

 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Belros tried his best to keep sure footing as the group moved through the Puddles. Keeping a sharp eye out for trouble, he certainly didn't want to get caught with his feet stuck in mud if some desperate thieves or those shadowy wraiths Adril mentioned appeared. Each step saw his foot sinking down several inches in the water and mud; stopping for any length of time meant having the mud totally wash over his foot. It was certainly not the place you wanted to be defending oneself. Offering a quick prayer to Torag that his size and Naum's would deter anyone from seeking to tangle with them, he then said.

Let's be on our way to Torsen's Maw as quickly as we can. It sounds like time might be of the essence.

He watched as Reyd headed out to scout ahead and find surer footing. Not for the first time Bel was a bit jealous of the agility and skill of the man. Looking down at his stuck feet once more and patting Naum on the back he says, "Let's be on our way. Stopping will be the death of us if anyone decides to attack us."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Geldar's Avatar
Geldar Geldar is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 22nd, 2023
RPXP: 6488
Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar Geldar
Posts: 5,195
Orc for "Thank you"Aka'magosh! The instant the potion is offered, a slender elven hand stealthily reaches from a darkened cloak and grabs the vial of brown liquid.

Rrr-owl. The woman's black cat companion lets out a growlish feline exclamation, almost as if correcting the elf in her misgiving. Seems the potion is meant more for brawns rather than brains. A hint of embarrassment comes over her cloak-covered face as she hands the potion over to its intended recipient. Sorry. Reyd, I believe this is for you.

As they trudge through muck and filth, Faunra awkwardly fumbles through a bulky, leather-bound tome. Well when we get ourselves into our upcoming trouble, looks like points to her scrawled text of Enlarge Personthis one will make one of you into a giant thug, and points to Sleepthis one might get us past some low-level guards. And then of course I can holds up her wand of Mage Armorwave this around to make us all tough as nails. Add to that, Amolas and I can help Reyd with stealthing-about if you need us to.

With that, the aforementioned cat lets forth yet another cry of seeming disapproval. Ray-rrr-lll. For the cat affecianados, a translation of "Speak for yerself" would seem appropriate.
__________________
Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Geldar; Jan 11th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
doggius's Avatar
doggius doggius is offline
The Bumbling Fool
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 4th, 2022
RPXP: 3173
doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius
Posts: 3,493
Pogar doesn't merely walk through the waterlogged mirk, he splashes and stomps as he moves through the mud. All the while, dwarven curses are muttered under his breath as he becomes mud covered and his cloak billows behind him.

He carries a giant axe in his hand casually while trudging through the puddles, slipping and sliding at points, he flails dangerously with his axe. Watching the intereaction with the others, silently, he eyes the cat warily.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Belros's Avatar
Belros Belros is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Apr 17th, 2015
RPXP: 2935
Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros Belros
Posts: 1,835
Side-stepping the wildly flailing axe of his dwarven companion, Belros looks at the dwarf struggling and says, "Would it be easier on you if Naum or I carried you, Pogar?" He suppresses a smile and steps sideways to put more distance between himself and the dwarf's axe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is offline
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 23rd, 2023
RPXP: 8266
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 9,529
Skurvin and Kria follow behind the unruly group. The two hooded figures walk quietly along like shadows, offering little to the conversation. The short human watches his companions and rolls his eyes. The dwarf seemed more likely to kill one of them than an enemy, the elf seemed to have just purchased her spell book, but at least one of them had a good idea.

“Scouting is a good idea,” he says, loud enough for the others to hear him. He then turns to his demonic companion and point up to the rooftops. “See what you can see.”

Kria looks up at the indicated location, than down to Skurvin and nods. Using her talons like
Dice climbing check:
d20+10 (15)+10 Total = 25
climbing spikes to hook into the damp wood and stone cracks, she makes her way up above the streets to
Dice perception check:
d20+5 (12)+5 Total = 17
look around.

Concentrating a moment, Skurvin is able to bond sensessee through Kria’s eyes as his companion begins to move ahead.
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time

Last edited by Togot; Jan 11th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
South of Heaven
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 2082
Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm Storm
Posts: 3,265
Reyd and Kria take two opposite side buildings overlooking the last street before the water became deeper and the tide from the Sea began to wash upon the shore. Reyd easily navigates and ascends the dilapidated wooden sidings as his grappling hook and rope are enough to caste a throw from it upon a smaller roof. Kria just uses her claws to scale the walls and inch herself up the wall of another building on the opposite side of the group.

Upon the perch the two see that the over looking perch is enough of an vantage point to see a group of six ruffians tangling with a group of four chained men. They are bound in shackles and manacles and appear to be visibly frightened. An apparent Thug or Leader of the six humans are scolding and questioning the group of the four chained men. Then in an effortless grace, two of the men throw a chained man over the side of Torsen's Maw; a cliff which over looked a deep chasm into the depths of the inner sea.

It should be noted that below the Maw is rocky out croppings of protruding stone and strong water currents that lip the edges of below. As soon as the man is cast over, there is a yell from him but what keeps him from descending is the three other chained men who are pulled closer to the edge. They did not have the answers they wanted and so the men try to grab at any thing worth keeping their footing and leverage intact. Slowly but surely Reyd and Kria can see the men's face become flustered and red from exertion. It is only a matter of time before there hold slips and they fall to their deaths.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:54 PM
coldmug's Avatar
coldmug coldmug is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 5th, 2014
RPXP: 272
coldmug coldmug coldmug
Posts: 175
Reyd palms the offered potion graciously, Thank you druid. He smiles warmly at Faunra's simple mistake. Quickly and deftly he climbs up on the rooftop and surveys the surroundings. Upon spotting the ruffians he is also aware of Kria's presence beside him.

I see six thugs, he voices softly to the rest of the group. But we must hurry!

Reyd notices that the decaying houses go all the way to the edge of the cliff, the ruffians standing in a small clearing between houses. He
Dice Perception roll:
d20+7 (20)+7 Total = 27
scans the houses to see if he could possibly descend and perhaps rope on to the fallen victim.

He looks at the outlander, knowing he is talking to both her and Skurvin. I'm not sure how quickly the rest can catch up. Can you cause a distraction?



Inventory
 

Last edited by coldmug; Jan 11th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Totentanzen's Avatar
Totentanzen Totentanzen is offline
Dice are now Fate Cubes
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 19th, 2022
RPXP: 7505
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Posts: 4,279
Molrim removes his hood to get a better view in the dark and murky night. The hood always disrupted his vision but necessary not to draw attention. He began to pick up his pace sloshing through the puddles gracefully with as little sound as possible. Molrim whispered to Reyd"About how far away would you say they are?" Molrim grins to himself "If you want a distraction I will get their attention." "I haven't put my skills to the test for a while, about time I push myself." He chuckles to himself "I will bet you guys 5 copper pieces I can shoot one of them square between the eyes."

 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:20 PM
doggius's Avatar
doggius doggius is offline
The Bumbling Fool
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 4th, 2022
RPXP: 3173
doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius doggius
Posts: 3,493
"Ye concentrate on yersel' 'n I'll concentrate on mesel'" Pogar grumble to Belos's comment as he continues to struggle to maintain the pace that was set before him. He seems more concentrated with keeping up than anything else.

He ignores most everything else until there is word of ruffians ahead. He stops for a moment, before he begins again, his legs begin to churn as he begins to plow through the muddy landscape. "Ye'd best ta be savin me a chance ta swing me ole axe." he grumbles forth, yet you can hear the mirth in his voice, the anticipation of battle before him. A chance to test his mettle with any type of combatant, it's obvious that he is growing excited.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:23 PM
coldmug's Avatar
coldmug coldmug is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 5th, 2014
RPXP: 272
coldmug coldmug coldmug
Posts: 175
Hearing Molrim's offer, Reyd grins. I bet someone could break through one of these houses and surprise those fools, he whispers back.

Looking over at the miscreants, he watches as the chained victims slip a foot more towards the cliff. He curses under his breath. Looking back at the group he is grim. New plan. Get there as fast as possible. Pointing to the Faunraelf wizard , Whatever you do, do not cast grease!

Reyd signals to Kria and starts to
Dice Acrobatics check:
1d20+8sch20 (19)+8 Total = 27
Even if this fails, I'm hoping I can cover at least as much distance to fire off a good shot from my crossbow.
run and jump across the rooftops, leaving all sense of stealth behind. He needs to get there fast.

 

Last edited by coldmug; Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Totentanzen's Avatar
Totentanzen Totentanzen is offline
Dice are now Fate Cubes
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 19th, 2022
RPXP: 7505
Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen Totentanzen
Posts: 4,279
"Well" Molrim says "If we are abandoning stealth then let this begin!" as decides to start the fun. He takes a few steps forward and plants his feat, Cocks an arrow on his longbow Silvertip, aims and lets the arrow fly towards the nearest ruffian..
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:09 PM
coldmug's Avatar
coldmug coldmug is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 5th, 2014
RPXP: 272
coldmug coldmug coldmug
Posts: 175
Observing that the chained victims are 60ftwithin range from him, Reyd grabs his crossbow and
Dice Attack on the chain:
1d20+4 (17)+4 Total = 21
lets fly a bolt at the chain, hoping to anchor it to the ground. He hopes
Dice Damage to chain, 10 hardness:
1d8-10 (3)-10 Total = -7
it doesn't break the chain.

 

Last edited by coldmug; Jan 12th, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB