Other The Solo Bazaar - June Recruitment Drive! - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 31st, 2021, 06:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3225
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
The Solo Bazaar - June Recruitment Drive!

Welcome, traveler!
Feast your eyes on the many wonders of the Bazaar!
Game NameThe Solo Bazaar - June Recruitment Drive!
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeFreely Traded games for solo players and GMs
FlavourAn Open Market of Creation
Plot Summary
right-aligned image

Welcome to the Solo Bazaar, an always open, always recruiting home for players and GMs to hock their games. Come over and post your game request. Perhaps a wandering GM will trade you story for story!

You can offer to run a game in exchange for playing in someone else’s, or request a specific solo game and run one for someone else. All game systems are welcome. Please PM, or post here, if you have questions on how this works. Better yet, just come over to the game thread and post in the OOC thread.

Game link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17092

See below for select solo games recruiting for the month of June!

June Recruitment

Guild Battle!
right-aligned image
Artist: NaleBunny 99

GM: BananaBadger
Goal: A one-shot designed for a player to explore mechanics and flavor of an artificer class character through approximately 60 game posts (30 from player, 30 from GM).
Setting: Eberron
System: D&D 5e
Class: Artificer
Races: Any official
Level Player choice
Story Arc: Guild 372 is moving in on your guild's territories ... those rats! Your guild has tasked you with planning and carrying out a sabotage mission on Guild 372 headquarters.
Format: This will be every-other-day post rate. GM one day, player the next. Game begins June 9-12 depending on player readiness, and ends on July 31. Ticking clock! The scenario is set up as an espionage and combat infiltration, but will be tweaked after initial consultations with player.
Selection: The player for this Featured Solo Bazaar GM game will be chosen by a random die roll from among all players who post interest by June 8. BUT a commitment to sticking with the game under the advertised posting schedule is expected. If you are interested in playing this game, post the following at this link: 1) an acknowledgment of the posting format and your solemn swear acceptance of it, 2) the level and subclass of artificer you wish to play and 3) the date at which you would be ready to begin. Thank you!
The Grey Citadel
GM: stepanxol

The Grey Citadel is a sandbox-y adventure adapted for a single D&D 5e character starting at 5th level. It combines a little bit of wilderness adventuring with a hefty dose of urban role-playing, detective work and underground exploration (dungeon delving).

normal image without text wrap
a very damp place

The Grey Citadel of Dun Eamon is a vibrant and busy city, full of adventure and opportunity, but its prosperity is threatened by the actions of a series of factions working together and separately to destabilize the community. Demons roam the streets, criminals rule the night, and an important local power figure is missing... with no apparent connection.

For more information, check out the long advert here. Notice that this will not use the 5e ruleset as it is; there are some special adaptations! So, an open mind and willingness to try/fiddle with/break new things is paramount.

This will be a long-standing D&D 5e mini-campaign. The player will be called to contribute significantly to the story through shared world- and plot-building and extensive use of montages (narrated time skips). Also, the game will use some special rules to accommodate the presence of a lone hero, preserving most of 5e's mechanics.

Notes about the selection processIn the Bazaar there's not a lot of selection -- usually players and GM sort of meet each other and start right away. Since this is a featured game and it'll probably (hopefully!) attract several candidates, I have to define the selection process.

To choose my player, I'd like to see a char sheet. It must not be complete, but the more precise the better. All classes are OK, and multiclassing is fine (actually, encouraged). Keep in mind that this adventure features a lot of role-playing, investigation and such, so skills like diplomacy, illusion, detect magic etc will certainly prove useful.

Also I'd like you to provide a hook.

Finally, it would be really great if you'd provide a sample montage (see the long-form ad for more information about montages).

We're in no hurry, so I'll consider candidates for a couple of weeks, unless there's a deluge of participants. The adventure will begin right away, around June 14th or so. Go ahead and post your submission in this thread (not the one with the full-fledged description ad in the Bazaar). Also, if you have any question whatsoever about the adventure, or the Bazaar itself, ask away!

...AND MORE!

Last edited by Leviticus; Jun 4th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:18 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15058
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
What a cool opportunity to build something, one-on-one with your own DM -- and these are two of the most creative and interesting writers on the site! Solo games are amazing, so collaborative and so much freedom. This will be a lot of fun for two lucky players!
DMing: The Other Side of the Mountain | Rime of the Frostmaiden
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3225
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Application dates extended for bananabadger's Guild Battle!

Last edited by Leviticus; Jun 4th, 2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20323
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Hey I know these guys! They are great DMs! Five star review! They totally did not bribe me to say any of that

Seriously, what a great opportunity for any player struggling to get into some of the highly/overly competitive application games to possibly get their game on with two very good DMs.

I highly endorse this idea

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jun 4th, 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2578
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Submission for The Gray CitadelMordak Tranter

HookMordak is the ward of a noble family in a northern land near the mountains where the barriers to the elemental plane are weak. Mordak is a young sorcerer descended from a mountain elemental. The weather has become increasingly volatile, and entities from the elemental planes are starting to emerge around the land. To this end, Mordak has been sent to find Elinda, the person who repaired the barrier the last time it was damaged.

MontageWhile on the road to the city, Mordak found that the only bridge over a large crevice was out for repairs. However every moment he spent in delay was a moment his home further slipped into peril.
With this in mind, the young man took matters into his own hands. Mordak knew something of climbing rocky surfaces, and sought to climb down to a point where the crevice closed enough for him to leap across and scale it back up. Mordak carefully worked his way down until he found a point where by pushing off the wall, he could jump the gap and catch a handhold.

Just putting out a submission for The Grey Citadel. Tell me if you want me to include anything else!
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 02:38 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8464
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Thanks, Amarga!

A rogue/sorcerer would certainly be ideal for this adventure (not to mention, a very interesting combo in itself). I just skimmed the char sheet, but I don't care if it's not definitive -- we can talk at length about crunch before starting. Perhaps you have access to D&D Beyond? Definitely not a requirement, but it does help a lot (although here we have a single PC, and the level is not too high, so we can surely manage!)

I like the hook -- definitely pushes you to look for Elinda specifically, but not in a suicidal way. You'll be able in other words -- if you find the dungeon too deadly, I'll let you look for a suitable replacement alchemist... in an ever deadlier location, of course! to decide for yourself how important she is to the elemental barrier's operation.

The montage is perfect. Failing forward and losing eg a spell slot is exactly the idea.

Let's see if somebody else throws their hat into the arena -- still a lot of time to go! In the meantime, new people are gingerly coming to wander in the fragrant streets of the Bazaar, which is nice!

Last edited by stepanxol; Jun 4th, 2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 08:28 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
currently hammering out a character in DnD beyond, it seems nice, but I would need to pay to get a hold of all of my options for my character so I'm not sure how far we can use this. How are we doing stats?

Last edited by Amarga; Jun 4th, 2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 12:20 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol stepanxol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarga View Post
currently hammering out a character in DnD beyond, it seems nice, but I would need to pay to get a hold of all of my options for my character so I'm not sure how far we can use this. How are we doing stats?
About stats, dunno, your standard 27 point buy? Is that OK for you?

About DnD Beyond, I find it awesome -- it actually changed my perception of 5e from "that's way too fiddly, give me OSR" to "I might actually get to manage this, even higher than 2nd level".
That said, I obviously cannot ask you to shell out especially since you need a BOATLOAD of dough to unlock all the manualsany dough, so let's just do without for now -- I might be able to generate the character later, but I have to check if I'd be using shared assets myself, so... we'll tackle that issue when we'll get to it.

Last edited by stepanxol; Jun 5th, 2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
Standard point buy works for me. And yeah I feel you, Lancer has something similar to Beyond called COMP/CON, and that resource makes the game MUCH more playable.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15156
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Grey Citadel Application
Name : Thistledawn Hearthglow
Race : Halfling
Class : Cleric
Background : Thistledawn grew up in the rolling hills and pastures of a small They Prefer Hin over HalflingHin village with her mother father and many siblings. She was always quite devout in the rituals for the harvest of the grain and one day when she was helping the local priestess with a ceremony an angel descended from above. The celestial hovered for a moment behind Thistledawn and then faded away. Everyone knew that this was sign and so Thistledawn ended up becoming an acolyte for the the goddess. She trained under the local priestess and had begun learning the trade.

Description : Thistledawn has long brown hair with silver streaks within it and a certain well padded look to her. When not in armor she dresses in a lovely dress that will swirl about her ankles. She goes barefoot with her toe nails painted to match her fingernails nails and lips and usually that color is a shade of pink or red. Her voice is calm and friendly with a contralto sound to it. When getting close to her it is somewhat clear that she enjoys apples and cinnamon and is quite friendly. To anyone who might be psionically inclined she shows up as a bright personality and might even happily say hello to you.

HookHer teacher and best friend, Violet Smith, sent her to the City to get some ingredients from the alchemist, Elinda, for the Harvest Festival. Without them they couldn't make the blessed water that they needed to spread to all of the houses in the village. Sure, Thistledawn and Violet could perform the ceremony without the ingredients but the divine magic wouldn't be quite as potent and thus the protections for the town would be weaker. No, she needed to get those ingredients!

MontageTravelling to the city Thistledawn encountered a group of Dwarves intent on destroying a small village of Goblins. Thistledawn knew this Goblin tribe for the way they had protected her village from a pack of wild Owlbears. So, she couldn't just let these Dwarves go in there and smash the poor people even if they had, supposedly, stolen something important from the Dwarven mines. So, she did her best to try and convince the dwarves that the Goblins were not evil and to let her try and diplomatically get the item for them.

[/SPOILERBUTTON]

Last edited by Ysolde; Jun 10th, 2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 06:02 AM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
Another would-be fantasy investigator steps into the arena! And with a very interesting character, too...

It's nice to have some competition (although I already know that I'll feel bad leaving one of them out. Too bad this adventure is just too much to be played in multiple instances!)

Ysolde, a char sheet is not necessary (although a skeleton of one would certainly be nice to see), but can I ask you to provide the HOOK and MONTAGE from the description? Nothing overly long, what Amarga did above is great. Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
You don't need to worry about leaving anyone out, stepanxol. One of the games I'm in has kicked off so I don't have time to start another on top of what I have. Thanks for putting this up, it looks like a fun time for Ysolde if nobody else throws in their hat!
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 12:13 PM
fundamentally useless

Tools
User Statistics
Noooes, don't leave the competition right when it's turning red-hot! It's dangerous to go alone... in the ad threads!
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15156
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
I actually did a full change of character. Too bad that Amarga had to head out
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:51 PM
hic abundant leones

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22343
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
The Guild Battle! game has been filled.
It is possible that it will run again at a later period, but in the meantime please check out the Solo Bazaar matchmaking threads for other players and GMs currently looking to start up a game.