Modern Day Wuxia

APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR NOW

Game NameModern Day Wuxia

Game SystemCypher
ThemeMartial Arts;
FlavourAction Adventure
Plot Summary
Ascent of the Master
A secret world of underground action and adventure. You are a student of an exclusive martial art style. The latest in a long lineage of warriors, philosophers, heroes and villains. As you study under your master, accepting the missions they lay out for you your martial prowess grows. Discover the secrets of the modern world of the warrior.

Inspired by wuxia and tianxia. Breaker, Kenichi, Veritas, Ong Bak, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Hello,
I'm looking for 2-4 players that can post about 2 times a week for this. It'll probably be a one-shot and it's plotted out already. You will be able to come up with or emulate a supernatural martial art for your character. Set in the modern day.

We'll be using the Cypher System, so if you are familiar with it that's a plus but not necessary, I can and will definitely help with any character creation stuff. I'm familiar with the system, but not extremely well versed in it yet, so it will be a learning experience for everyone. Is anybody interested?

If you are, please respond with a Character name and rough description of your martial art. Please no rolls in here.

PlotAfter years of dedication to your master and your art your Masters, a group of friends and allies known collectively as the Rising Fist, feel it is time for you to move on the next level of your training; missions for the White Lotus.

In a highrise over looking the city the President of the White Lotus society himself gives you your graduation mission; retrieve and return the Falling Star Blade, a mythical ancient dao dating to before the society even formed, back to the White Lotus from whoever stole it years ago.

All your masters can offer is good luck, the years of training they've already given and some small words of encouragement. If you succeed, you become full members of the Society. If you fail only death or shame await you.

Last edited by Aegis; Jun 17th, 2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
justsujoy justsujoy justsujoy
Interesting... Can you share a trailer the story or the mission whatever? A few lines to establish interest.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 922
Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis Aegis
Yes, I can do that. That's a great point, thanks.

The game is set in a big, modern day city like Chicago. Everything is as we know it and are used to. Except all over the world, and entrenched in this city, is a secret society of martial artists who have trained themselves to perform legendary feats, like flight or crushing pavement with their fists.

This society has dedicated itself to protecting and developing their ancient martial arts and passing them down through future generations. They've also decided to live separate from the mundane world but also as a part of it. They wage secret wars of power, honor and martial skill to decide who is in power and who is following. At the head of this society is the White Lotus group.

You'd play as a disciple/apprentice (stronger than a regular person but definitely not as powerful as many in the society) to a master and part of the White Lotus group running errands, fighting battles, honing your skills. You can come up with your own martial arts style or bring one in from your favorite piece of entertainment.

PlotAfter years of dedication to your master and your art your Masters, a group of friends and allies known collectively as the Rising Fist, feel it is time for you to move on the next level of your training; missions for the White Lotus.

In a highrise over looking the city the President of the White Lotus society himself gives you your graduation mission; retrieve and return the Falling Star Blade, a mythical ancient dao dating to before the society even formed, back to the White Lotus from whoever stole it years ago.

All your masters can offer is good luck, the years of training they've already given and some small words of encouragement. If you succeed, you become full members of the Society. If you fail only death or shame await you.

I hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Aegis; Jun 10th, 2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 02:40 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
justsujoy justsujoy justsujoy
Sweet.

I'm thinking of an Indian taxi driver who is also a Kalaripayattu adept. Softspoken, polite and courteous under normal conditions but once in a fight, he seeks to end it quickly and decicively.

Edit- Somehow I just made Ethan Stanley from Kenichi. Let me see if I can come up with something better.

Last edited by justsujoy; Jun 10th, 2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 03:51 PM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5968
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I'm interested!

I've never played any cypher before though, so expect me to be a complete novice.

Currently I'm thinking of a short range teleporter, though I'm unsure how that'd combine into a full fighting style. As for making a character, I wonder if/how much time our characters would have to develop outside of their own combat cult.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

Well, Ethan was pretty great! One of my favorites from that series. Take your time coming up with something if you don’t want to play as him. Could be good though.

I’m mostly focusing on the action stuff now, but I imagine there will be some downtime for your characters where you can develop them out a bit more. It won’t be all fistfights all the time. Just a lot of them.

And no worries, Cypher is pretty straightforward forward once you get used to it, so I’ve got no problem helping you get up to speed.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:12 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 338
Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast
Oh oh oh! Pick me! HUGE kung fu film (and fight anime) fan. Also have a passing knowledge of Cypher. I'm on my phone, so this is just a placeholder until I can work up something proper.

Terasaka
left-aligned image
Name: Jin Terasaka

Style: Fist of Flaming Blood Crushing Bone

An aggressive, no-nonsense style that knows only attack. Jin shatters the enemies defenses, then shatters the enemy. It's not all brute force, though. Attacks are carefully planned and executed with extreme prejudice. The firewater* grants limberness and resistance to pain (albeit temporarily). The fire in the blood speaks not only of the unique potion of the style's practicioners, but also the bloodlust and aggression inherent in those who have mastered the Fist of Flaming Blood Crushing Bone.

An apprentice to Master Lao Hun, Jin is also a Lieutenant in the Los Angeles chapter of the Kaiju-kai Yakuza clan.

Fist of Flaming Blood Crushing Bone is a direct descendant of the traditional Shaolin Dragon-style kung fu practiced by Chinese and Tibetan monks unto this day. Mixing elements of Krav Maga, Jujitsu, and Muay Thai to add to its lethality and directness, the few existing practicioners of Fist of Flaming Blood Crushing Bone are considered to be among the most dangerous men alive, armed or unarmed.

Jin Teraska's loyalty to the Yakuza came at a great price and he now kills on their behalf without compunction. Even to this day, however, none of his targets have seen the full effect of his unique and potent martial style. In truth, few of them have seen anything more than a shadow or a whisper in the dark before the agony of a shattered knee or the silent numbness of a broken spine block out all other sensory input. Jin would not call himself an assassin, however. He kills for honor. If there is no honor to be had in a fight, he will not accept it. Honor, however, is a curiously fluid thing. It can be found in every circumstance... if one only knows where to look.

*A special high-proof grain alcohol infused with Chinese medicinal herbs.

Last edited by Wonderbeast; Jun 11th, 2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2620
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Now this is quite interesting. Dont know the cypher system but I've learned several RPG systems from this site, what's one more? One question I have is: How fantastical are you thinking for fighting styles? I've got some slightly fantastical ones (Hyuga clan gentle fist type) and some very fantastical ones (Having a secret scorpion tail with stinger, transforming into murder of crows etc)
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Great! The Cypher system is pretty narrative and you you choose a focus, which is kind of like a package of powers, that you grow into. So you can describe what’s going with your moves. I’m happy to help you learn the system a bit more.

Good question. At these first levels it’ll probably be more of that kind (Gentle Fist) than the transforming into creatures/scorpion tail. You all are still humans. But at a higher level that could be possible.

Last edited by Aegis; Jun 10th, 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 08:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Got it, makes sense. And I was just using those as an example, I have a different style in mind but just wanted to know how "out there" I could make it. I'll get an application up soon.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 09:20 PM
Pupil of Acala-vidyārāja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7380
Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji
“Wuxia” caught my eyes, and sure enough I’m interested in this setting and story idea! I also have a character in mind.

I’m new to Cypher. Do we need to buy their book to play this game?

Also, is this White Lotus group the same as the religious zealots in late-Qing dynasty China?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:11 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
No need to get the book unless you want. I should be able help guide and build without it. It may make things easier but it shouldn’t be a problem without.

I don’t know much about that group from the Qing dynasty, so right now unrelated. But that could be interesting.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Heres my application. Let me know if you need anything else.

Application for Yue Song
right-aligned image

Name: Yue Song

The Xiao Si Style
It is said that the Xiao Si style (Pronounced Shiao Su, The Little Death) was formed in ancient China by a monastery of warrior monks to fight against towering beasts and monsters that threatened the nearby village and countryside. Had the style only been used against such mythological creatures then it might not have the horrifying reputation that it does today. The Xiao Si style does not focus on the swift takedown or the silent kill, but on the systematic dismantling of ones foe: piece by piece. It is a style that seeks to blind the keen eyed and cripple the swift footed. It seeks to remove an opponent’s advantages one by one, slowly and methodically, leaving little space open for counterattack. It takes a great deal of discipline and an iron stomach to weather a foes blows and attacks and feints to focus on small strikes here and there, but in the end the foe is left bleeding, crippled, and helpless.

Xiao Si practitioners utilize a number of bladed and piercing weapons, but none as iconic as the razor whip. With exceptional cutting ability and deceptive reach, the weapon is well suited to the debilitating and enervating strikes the style calls for. The styles many detractors claim it is a cruel, even sadistic style, suited to only psychopaths and murderers. But the white lotus society has had to call on its masters more than once to put down threats too powerful to be dealt with quickly and too dangerous to be left alive.

Xiao Si practitioners are often thoughtful, methodical, and deliberate. In their civilian lives they can have jobs as academics, detectives, accountants, and lawyers. Yue Song herself is on the path of the Academic, hoping to one day earn an MD, devoting her spare time to mastering medicine in the hopes that she can use that knowledge to further her martial skills.

Last edited by Tahril; Jun 11th, 2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:56 AM
Pupil of Acala-vidyārāja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7380
Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji Kaji
The Character
left-aligned image
Name: SurnameLinghu Given nameHui

A young office worker who always finds time to visit his shifu to learn and train his Kung Fu, as a passion and also an escape from the mundane everyday life in a big city. If only he could use his martial arts for something other than just improving his health and longevity...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_160659.gif
Views:	8
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	91358
The ArtName: Lit. "return to unity" or unification - the first character gui sharing the same pronunciation as the character for tortoise is no coincidenceGuiyuan

Passed down by the warrior-scholars of ancient times, this school is based on the classical philosophy that even before the existence of yin and yang, and thus before the existence of any matter or energy, there exists a unity - the primordial and perfect whole. To be able to harness the balance and interdependence of yin and yang is good, but even better is to transcend them to make full use of their combined origin. The process to make use of this power is called unification, which is the meaning of the name Guiyuan.

A practitioner of the art has to begin by forsaking the human's natural way of movements - push, pull, lift, grab, turn, dodge, deflect, etc. - because they all make use of yin and yang as separate and opposite forces. Guiyuan techniques, on the other hand, involves absorbing all external forces and increasing the practitioner's internal pressure, which he can then apply back to whatever object in the world he is in contact with - called Lit. placing pressurefangjin. Like a black hole, the practitioner’s dantian suck in all forces be they of yin or yang characteristics, converging and converting them into a dimensionless implosion of pressurised jin energy.

It can be catching an incoming fist with a palm to counter it, extending one's foot to a stationary opponent to absorb his inertia and kick him flying, grappling someone to throw them across the room, withstanding blunt trauma to the body, wielding a long spear as if it is an extension of one’s arm, landing from a jump off a second-storey building, leaping from one foothold to another... As long as a Guiyuan adept is in contact of something in his external world, he can fangjin to it and, from that single point of contact, effect changes in his environment.

Unlike many other styles of martial arts, the combat philosophy of Guiyuan does not promote blocking, evasion or deflection of an enemy’s attacks. It would be a waste not to make use of your enemy’s force to fuel your own technique. Expending your own energy to block, evade or deflect an incoming below requires more time and inevitably divides your movements into offence or defence. No, like with any other yin-yang pairs, in Guiyuan attack and defence need to happen together in one place and one time.

Aside from being a martial arts, training in Guiyuan itself improves the body's fitness and youthful energy. The yin and yang energies of a human’s organs can be unified to enhance bodily functions to new heights. Practitioners in the art tend to look younger than a typical person their age and live significantly longer. The character gui is a homophone with the character that means tortoise. Anyone accomplished in Guiyuan is as protected from outside forces as if having a shell, while also resilient to the flow of time.

The first ancestors of this school of martial arts were Confusionist officers serving their nation. They placed paramount emphasis on the five virtues - kindness, honour, respect, wisdom and trustworthiness - as prerequisites for students to learn this versatile and powerful methodology. To prevent the lineage from falling into the hands of prospective pupils that are not of good character, a teacher selects the art’s successor with utmost caution and secrecy. Later in the ages, the Daoist adopted the Guiyuan methodology - also teaching and training behind closed doors - to supplement their meditation practices. The school has survived countless wars and disasters in history, thanks to the hard work of its lineage-holders. However, too long has this virtuous art been in the dark. Surely, the world has more good people worthy of Guiyuan than those that would use it for evil?

Last edited by Kaji; Jun 14th, 2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 338
Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast Wonderbeast
Kay, I posted Jin and his brutally aggressive style. Fingers crossed!