PF-1e Of Mice and Mercenaries (Wuxia Edition; CS-only) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Inspiration inside

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7285
LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon
Of Mice and Mercenaries (Wuxia Edition; CS-only)

Game Name
Of Mice and Mercenaries

(Wuxia Edition; CS-only)

Game systemPathfinder 1e

ThemeSmall heroes fighting a great evil (Adventure in 2 sections)

FlavorWuxia fantasy - serious with amazing action scenes

Prologue
left-aligned image
It was early morning in the Northern Mountains. The Sky Convent lay peacefully between the peaks of the high mountains, surrounded by gardens, rice paddies and vast bamboo forests. A few cranes swooped slowly through the waters of the rice paddies in search of edibles. Mist hung over the mountainsides, and the morning sunlight bathed everything in a gentle glow. Soft smoke rose from the convent's kitchen, announcing a simple yet tasty breakfast.

Gong Li, a young novice dressed in simple red robes, was just walking through the side gate of the convent with a wicker basket under her arm. The smell of the night flowers lingered in the air. A few strands of black hair fell in her face as she descended the stairs, and she quickly pushed them behind her ear. As a novice, her head was not yet shaved like the nuns did. The stables were in front of her, and it was her duty to collect eggs from the chickens this morning. Thus, she did not respond to the shouts and loud knocking at the convent's main gate. This was a task for the eunuchs - the only men allowed to enter, live, and work in the convent.

Instead, Gong Li opened the flap to the henhouse to quickly grab the eggs from the nests. But suddenly she flinched. The shouts had become cries for help. The knocking had turned into fighting noise. Only a few moments later the panicked ringing of the gate's signal bell ended as suddenly as it had begun.

Gong Li dropped the basket with the eggs and ran back to the side gate. Startled, she stopped and hid in the shadows of the beams. Dozens of armed warriors ran yelling across the sacred temple square and up the white stairs to the Jade Temple. Although someone had the presence of mind to close the old bronze gate, the young novice quickly realized that it would not withstand a concentrated attack for long.

A brief description of the game
right-aligned image
For hundreds of years, the nuns in the Jade Temple of the Sky Convent have guarded the sacred scroll of the first Dragon Emperor. According to legend, the scroll promises great power and immortality for those who read it, even though it brought only misfortune and death to its last owners.

For a long time there was peace and quiet in the convent, but three days ago, robbers attacked the convent in search of the sacred scroll.
The abbess just managed to hide the scroll in a secret place before the robbers broke through the gate. All were captured; only a young novice managed to escape at the last second.

Exhausted and desperate, she made it to the nearest town for help after a forced march of several days. Adventurers are quickly found but the way back is long, steep, and mountainous. Rain showers have turned the streets into mud. So, the town's wizard proposes a daring plan: he shrinks all the adventurers to the size of mice, puts them in the young nun's shoulder bag, teleports them all to the convent, where the young novice enlarges them all again - and the adventurers do their job.

Unfortunately, the plan fails, and the characters find themselves in an adventure that is literally oversized.

This game is offered exclusively for community supporters. However, just being a CS does not guarantee a spot in the game.

The game is split in two sections. In the first part, the tiny adventurers have to survive the challenges and dangers of the rural convent and find the enlarging potions. In the second part, the characters will fight wuxia-style against the attackers and vice-versa in order to retrieve the sacred scroll. This may be just a single chapter or a complete adventure on its own, depending on the mood of the players.

CharactersWhat kind of characters I'm are looking for?
  • I favor role-play over roll-play, e.g. I aim at a combat-to-roleplay-ratio of 30:70. Thus, I like the game played fast and simple without extra-rules and special-extra-rules, focusing on the plot and the roleplay, not on rules/roll-playing.

• You will face many different and unusual kinds of challenges, quests, and encounters. Please make flexible characters, no one-trick-ponies or chars with stats of 16-20-18-8-8-10 or such. I’ll support you in-game with suitable items and several extras.

• There won’t be any XP, because it is a short adventure. Maybe a level-up after the first section.

• Gods and religions will play an important role in the game because I think they are often neglected – just think about all the good and bad things which were done in our world where we just believe in gods. In the world of Pathfinder, people know about their existence. Characters may pray together or alone to his/her/their god(s) by using knowledge religion checks. Middle results may give you temporary hitpoints or re-rolls, while good results give you bonuses or even a mysterious hint for the quest. This doesn't mean that you need to play a divine spellcaster! It's valid for all classes.

• Please create the background in a way that your character and the group can start in the West Gate Inn, a run-down tavern in the town of Yellow Rock Lake.

• We play wuxia-style, i.e. the characters have the abilities for extraordinary moves like high jumps, powerful attacks, and swift dodges. The rules will be explained in-game.

How to create the character
  • We play with the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and the Advanced Players Guide, i.e. only classes, skills, feats , weapons, items, etc. of these books. For races, see below.

• To keep it simple, all Asian weapons and armor can be used by using the rules for 'normal' versions of the weapon or armor, e.g. katana uses rules for a longsword. If you want to play a samurai, take the fighter class as template, same for ninja and rogue. Or mix them with other classes e.g. monk.

• Races: you can take any race with 15 RP or less from the following SRD-Race-lists: core races, featured races, gnolls and lizardfolk. Aasimars are excluded (imho overpowered for 15 RP). As rule of thumb, the weak, DM-cannon-fodder races (<10 RP incl. goblins) get 2 addition feats to compensate; normal races (10-12 RP) get 1 feat. I will decide for each race upon request after the application process in order to make a balanced party.

• Use the 20 point buy character system, no attribute above 16 without racial bonus, no attribute below 8 without racial penalty.

• You can swap one +2 Ability racial modifier to another unmodified ability of the same group (physical or mental).

• We use the Elephant in the room tax,but we merge the benefits of point blank shot with precise shot.

• Traits: Max. 2 racial (incl. alternative racial traits) and 2 additional traits.

• Start at level 4.

• Hit points: as normal you get the maximum hit points for level 1. All other levels, we round up to at least half of the possible hit points e.g. if you roll aD10 for 3, you get 5 HP (plus bonus from CON if any).

• 6,000 gold pieces, no item worth more than 3,000 gold pieces; items only from the books named above.

• Each character gets 4 Wuxia style action points per scene which they may spend to perform wuxia-style moves or actions. (Rules will be shown in-game to keep this thread simple.)

• Alignment: only good or neutral characters.

• Paladins may have an alignment of both lawful-good and neutral-good. In these times, only the results are important.

What kind of players I'm looking for
  • 6-8 reliable community supporters.

• Beginners and experienced players are welcome.

• Please be able post about 2 to 3 times a week.

Application deadlineI hope to finish the application process at Friday, June, 25th.

Application requirements to be posted in this thread:Name:
Race:
Class(es):
Deity (incl. the times you pray): you can choose a deity from the Core Rulebook or Advanced Players Guide or make your own basing on a deity these books by changing name, background, favored weapon and alignment. Don't change the domains.
Description: (5 - 10 lines are sufficient)
Background: (5 - 10 lines are sufficient)

Please add your preferred pronouns. If you want to keep this private, just write nickname, then I'll use it. This has no effect on the application.

Running list of important questions/answers/comments/additions: N/A

Thanks for your interest and for reading! Please post questions, comments, concerns, and applications here (no dice rolling yet, please).

Last edited by LeDragon; Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3682
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Saw the Oriental set up, I was hooked. You allow two books? Bummer, had a samurai class I was hoping to play from the book Ultimate Combat. back in Oct, made this character for a game, started off great, but then game died in less than 2 weeks. I was so bummed. Hope your game last all the way through!
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 10:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1853
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
Interesting concept - it sounds like there should be a lot of room for creativity.

I have a Ratfolk Wizard that I created for another game that, sadly, barely got played. I'll just need to do a bit of reflavoring to fit the theme here; hopefully I'll have an app in within the next day or so.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 12:37 AM
Inspiration inside

Tools
User Statistics
LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon LeDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Saw the Oriental set up, I was hooked. You allow two books? Bummer, had a samurai class I was hoping to play from the book Ultimate Combat.
Feel free to play a fighter/ranger as samurai. I limited the books cause I have family and jobs to care about. More rules, less time for them.

I keep a good balance, thus my games never died.

Last edited by LeDragon; Jun 10th, 2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Application
right-aligned image

"Slippery" Yin
Goblin Rogue

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: VERY loosely conceptually based on Ame-no-Uzume-no-Mikoto and Sun Wukong, with Calistria as the system base.

Alignment: CN
Portfolio: Deity of freedom, luck, and trickery
Domains: Chaos, Charm, Knowledge, Luck, Trickery
Favored Weapon: Short sword
Kuzume, The Traveler. Yin typically prays twice daily; once at sunrise in request of a path worth traveling, and once at dusk in thanks for the day's boons, adversities, and lessons.

Description: WIP
Background: WIP

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Last edited by Touketsu; Jun 15th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway for the sake of complete clarity:

I know you're only allowing Core Rulebook and the Advanced Players Guide for races and classes, but what about archetypes? Was thinking of playing a goblin rogue knife master. Obviously I'll figure out something else if that's not okay.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Inspiration inside

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
but what about archetypes? Was thinking of playing a goblin rogue knife master.
This archetype is not part of these two books. Please create your knife-master-like char from the available options.

Last edited by LeDragon; Jun 12th, 2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Ok, I figured out what I want to play, but first, I just need to know about the world. Made up world or a ready made world? Just so I know what to put in my background
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Inspiration inside

Tools
User Statistics
There is no world made up around the village and the Sky Convent, yet. Feel free to add some parts on your own.

If you need inspiration, watch "The Swordsman" - excluding the firearms - a corrupt and dysfunctional realm.

Last edited by LeDragon; Jun 11th, 2021 at 03:08 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 02:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Pang Redleaf
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Monk (Zen Archer)
Alignment: WIP
Deity: Kofusachi (pray each morning and each night)
Description: Standing close to him, he seems just like any other male monk. A human man with. dark hair, brown eyes, he might be slightly tall at 5’8, but then, like anyone else, some happens to be taller than others. His build is a bit on the slender side, but with an athletic body, that’s normal. His eyes,aren’t unusual either, as some are more slanted than some. However, when his hair moves to expose his ears, then his true being is known. A half-elf.

Not many elves in the surrounding areas, for they have their own territory and tend to keep to themselves for the most part.so when a half-elf is around, it’s sort of like a commodity that piques the curiosity of others.

He carries himself well. He walks with a steady purpose and he happens to be one of the rare monks that carries a bow. For any that knows the monkhood, there are many types, and Pang is a Zen Archer, which probably isn’t too much of a surprise considering he is part elven.

right-aligned image

Background: Once upon a time, an elven scout had met a human from the one of the northern monasteries during their yearly festival. The two fell in love and two years later, a boy was born, Pang Redleaf. Pang after his human mother’s father and Redleaf was his elven father’s last name. Happy times for the next ten years, Pang learned how to use a bow from his father as his mother taught him mediation and self discipline.

Months after his tenth birthday, his father Zenuvir was with a scouting party. They ran into trouble and Zen was one of the few that did not make it back. After their period of mourning was done, his mother Peng decided to send him to the Monastery Pokarr, led by the enlightened abbot Mo Kin. It was there that Pang became a monk.

He never forgot his father, for when the time came for him to choose what class of Monk to be, the choice was simple. Zen Archer.

The day came when his basic training was done, the rest he had to learn by experience. He started off on his own and met a few other adventurers on the way and they formed a group, going on adventures and doing various missions. During their travels, they came upon a town called Yellow Rock Lake. Looking for a place to rest and spend the night, they entered the West Gate Inn, it was a run-down tavern, not glamourous by any means but good enough to get a home cooked meal and a bed to sleep in. After a good night’s rest, they sat at the table, enjoying their breakfast when a young lady entered the inn, looking tired, asking for help. Her name was Gong Li…

Last edited by Seekr34; Jun 13th, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 09:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Just saw the trailer, awesome!
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72937
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDragon View Post
Archetypes are not part of these two books. Please create your knife-master-like char from the available options.
@Seekr, you might want to check with LeDragon, because the Zen Archer is an archetype.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Inspiration inside

Tools
User Statistics
The zen archer is in the players' handbook, but not the knife master. (Ultimate Combat).

Archetypes from the both corners books are allowed. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by LeDragon; Jun 12th, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 06:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1853
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
right-aligned image

Name: Lo-Shi
Race: Ratfolk
Class: Wizard
Alignment: N
Deity: Iro-Shu, The Enlightened One (Irori). Lo-Shi prays at dusk, as the light fades, until it is too dark to make out ink on paper.

Description: WIP

Background: WIP
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 09:36 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72937
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
@Seekr, you might want to check with LeDragon, because the Zen Archer is an archetype.
In the immortal words of Emily Litella

"Never mind."