PF-1e Parsantium - City at the Crossroads - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 16th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3283
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
What is "We'll be using the elephant in the room feat tax house rules" in pathfinder mean?
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 09:18 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7295
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawsome View Post
What is "We'll be using the elephant in the room feat tax house rules" in pathfinder mean?
This may help you out.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 09:56 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10722
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawsome View Post
tl;dr version: pathfinder has a lot of annoying instances where because of prerequisites, you have to spend like 3 or 4 feats just to be able to get the one that you want (AKA feat tax). Some 3rd party guys wrote a pdf doc and called it Elephant in the Room that combines or eliminates a bunch of those pre-req heavy feats. A lot of players and DMs use those rules now. You can find the full version in the link Riktur gave above.
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 10:48 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 11:37 PM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2566
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf

Okay, so there's just over a week to go and I realise there has been alot of secret talk which for those who can't see it god knows what this entire thread must look like to you. I'll still keep the 25th deadline, so those of you who are still working on your characters you have until then
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
TheYell TheYell

just floating secret trial balloons mostly

Last edited by TheYell; Jan 17th, 2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3283
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
Thanks Ricktur, that explained it well
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7295
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
No problem mate!

I think I have most everything covered just need to settle on his sponsor.
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 10:26 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Mew (and Mrrowr)
right-aligned image
art by Diego Cunha

Name: Mew

Race: re-skinning of Catfolk, but smallerAwakened Cat

Age: Assuming we are going off of the aging for Catfolk, if awakened cats have a lifespan more like those of their humanoid cousins. If we are using regular cat lifespan, then probably closer to 20 (making him either middle aged or old).42

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Traits: You receive a +1 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks. In addition, you receive a +1 trait bonus to the DC of any charm or compulsion that does not provide ongoing control and results in peaceful acts, such as calm emotions, sleep, or a suggestion to lay down arms.Honeyed Words Intimidate is always a class skill for you, and you may use your Intelligence modifier when making Intimidate checks instead of your Charisma modifier.Bruising Intellect

Description:
Appearance:Mew is a mostly white short-haired house-cat, though spots of deepest black stand out in sharp contrast to his snow white coat, including a large patch around one eye, a "saddle" across his back, and a mischievous little speck that dots the side of his otherwise pink nose. He stands about 9 inches tall, with a lean, wiry body. His wide golden eyes gleam with an intelligence and a curiosity that can be a little unnerving when his stare seems to look directly through others. His tail is longer than average for his size and seems to be eternally swishing about as though it had a mind of its own. His small, triangular ears are ever-alert, twitching and swiveling at the slightest sound.

Mrrowr is a young human female of about 16 with auburn hair. She has wide, expressive eyes that display an almost feline intelligence. Some of the (more tolerable) humans that Mew has interacted with have told him that Mrrowr would be considered rather comely for her species, but it's hard for Mew to really judge that objectively.

Personality Mew is an independent loner who sometimes comes off as a bit of a gruff misanthrope. He particularly has little patience for most humans, other than his former "partner" Rhiamon, and his familiar Mrrowr. Mew thinks of Mrrowr as more than just a pet, she is pretty much like a member of the family. He has a paternal affection for her and is fiercely protective of her. He is not particularly fond of other people though, and is not shy about it. Humans in particular are always so loud, messy, and seem like they can never sit still. They're basically giant, hairless kittens that never grew up. He lives with the frustration of knowing that he is often the smartest one in the room, and is almost never recognized as such. This has led to a never-ending disdain for stupidity that typically manifests itself through a biting sarcasm.

Mrrowr is a loving and faithful pet who enjoys nothing more than to have her master curl up in her lap. Being a human raised by a cat, she doesn't always fit in well with other humans, who find her behavior a little ... odd. She is very curious about her human heritage and about their bizarre customs, though she is also rather shy to interact with other humans and feels as if she is constantly being judged for not knowing their strange ways.

Background:
BackgroundMew was once the familiar to a powerful human witch named Rhiamon. Rhiamon was a reclusive hermit who lived alone in a cottage in the middle of the dark forest, her only companions were Mew and her communion with the powerful forces of her patron. Eventually Rhiamon used the powerful magics at her disposal to awaken Mew so that she might better relate to her only living companion.

One day, Mew noticed a strange change had begun to occur in his human friend. Rhiamon’s belly grew large with child. This seemed rather strange to Mew, since he had never seen her with interact another of her kind, but the child was brought to her by her shadowy patron. Sadly, what first appeared to be a great blessing soon turned tragic. It was a complicated pregnancy and Rhiamon did not survive the birthing process.

Mew vowed to care for the child, who served as a reminder to him of his faithful friend, Rhiamon. Mew named the young girl Mrrowr and raised her as if she were his own kitten. Over time, it gradually became apparent that even in the absence of Rhiamon, Mew mysteriously remained connected to the arcane forces that had once bound him to the witch. Even more surprising, he discovered that the powers that were now his to command seemed inextricably linked to the child, though the roles had become reversed, with the cat now acting as the witch and the human child as the familiar. Mrrowr herself turned out to be a sweet, endearing, but relatively simple and naive girl, with no chance of ever understanding or controlling the eldritch forces herself. Luckily, she had Mew to look out for her; otherwise she would be hopelessly lost.

Your Sponsor:

The Plan:
The Plan
left-aligned image

The Line:

Last edited by rhaiber; Jan 21st, 2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell
The entry for "Keelboat" in the Shackles Players Guide says

Quote:
This f lat-bottomed ship has a few oars to supplement
its single mast with a square sail. It can make both sea
and river voyages. Keelboats are designed to carry cargo,
rather than for fighting. Types of keelboats include the
cog, hoy, hulk, karve, and knarr.
So it's really just several categories of smaller unarmed sailing ships.

I been thinking I DO want a larger mobile base I can imprison people inside. I will knock down the Cloak of Resistance to a +2, and buy a "keelboat" which will be a single-masted unarmed dhow of 60' length with a lateen sail and a single deck. It can hold followers as I level, too.

I suggest the cohort be her captain.

I will get a ship's boat too for another 500 gold.

Last edited by TheYell; Jan 19th, 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell
Traded in the History of Terrors racial trait, seemed too much like Metagaming to try and block emotional effects when that's my one weakness really.
Went with Social Ties which increases Diplomacy and my Leadership score.

This raises my Leadership score to 15.
Will have 20 1st Level Fighters as pirates on the dhow, they will fill in as servants at the House too in turns.
Will have 1 2nd level Bard for entertaining.
Will have 1 2nd Level Expert as cook. (2 Profession Cook, Skill Focus Profession Cook)
Will have 1 3rd Level Cleric as majordomo of the House.
Suggest a captain of the dhow for cohort. Something strong and spooky to keep the followers in line.
Because of my Wicked Leader Trait this cohort should be level 7.

Livery for my cult will be loose white pajamas and shirt, a knee-length midnight-blue coat with a blood-red sash and turban and blood-red leather slippers.

Last edited by TheYell; Jan 19th, 2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 10:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell
I don’t see any format for ship design for roleplaying. I’m not very good at illustrations. Here’s what I’d like to have in my dhow:

Boarding on the main deck, one sees a broad expanse of teak planking sewn together in the traditional manner. The ship is 60 feet long and 15 feet in beam with a draw of 6 feet.
A single mast with a long boom for a lateen sail rises from the middle of the deck.
Just forward of the mainsail is a cargo hatch, ten foot square, to the hold.
To starboard forward, a fifteen-foot ship’s boat is suspended by block and tackle and securely lashed, for launching when convenient.
At the prow on the main deck is a 25-foot x 15-foot canvas canopy with crew’s hammocks underneath in good weather.
Aft on the main deck is a captain’s cabin, with a short antechamber with heavy curtains for privacy.
A ladder up from the main deck leads to a quarterdeck and tiller on top of the captain’s cabin.
Aft is also a ladder down below the deck, to a galley, and then to arms lockers, and then to bunks for the crew in bad weather.
Forward of the bunkroom is a hold that is 15 feet long by 15 feet wide by 8 feet deep, giving a capacity of 1800 cubic feet and an estimated freight capacity of 45 tons.
In the prow below decks past the hold is a cell with a strong wooden door that is 8 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet, holding up to four people.

Last edited by TheYell; Jan 20th, 2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 06:28 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5883
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
I made Jelani's sponsor along the same lines but a bit more impressive, he was a bit mundane before.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 04:11 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheYell TheYell
Questions for our GM

1. When a target gets a Will save are they cognizant of the use of the power? Or does that only come about if they make the Will save?

So if I use Detect Thoughts on somebody and they fail their Will Save, I read their mind. Do they know they were probed? Or is it like a Vulcan Mind Meld, I announce myself when I do that?

2. Roughly speaking, how involved will our sponsor be in this mission? Not at all? Infrequently? For instance my guy is a foriegn gambler. Do I have to search out high-class gambling going on, or can I say "My sponsor tells me to visit the such-and-such Tavern to get a bet down?" Or do I roll dice to see if I can search that out? Will it depend on case-by-case, I ask you first and then we figure it out and then I post my actions?

3. When we start will we get a "briefing" of basic knowledge about Parsantium beyond what you provided in the synopsis of the game? I'm sure we all know who the Basileus is. How about our IC knowledge of the underworld? Is it a mystery to solve?

4. Will we earn XP for teamwork with other players? We are evil, but supposedly on the same side.

5. Without giving it away just as a Yes or No, is there a Big Bad Chairman we work for, or do we make that part up among ourselves?
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 06:31 AM
Simply Doomed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2566
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
Questions for our GM

1. When a target gets a Will save are they cognizant of the use of the power? Or does that only come about if they make the Will save?

So if I use Detect Thoughts on somebody and they fail their Will Save, I read their mind. Do they know they were probed? Or is it like a Vulcan Mind Meld, I announce myself when I do that?

2. Roughly speaking, how involved will our sponsor be in this mission? Not at all? Infrequently? For instance my guy is a foriegn gambler. Do I have to search out high-class gambling going on, or can I say "My sponsor tells me to visit the such-and-such Tavern to get a bet down?" Or do I roll dice to see if I can search that out? Will it depend on case-by-case, I ask you first and then we figure it out and then I post my actions?

3. When we start will we get a "briefing" of basic knowledge about Parsantium beyond what you provided in the synopsis of the game? I'm sure we all know who the Basileus is. How about our IC knowledge of the underworld? Is it a mystery to solve?

4. Will we earn XP for teamwork with other players? We are evil, but supposedly on the same side.

5. Without giving it away just as a Yes or No, is there a Big Bad Chairman we work for, or do we make that part up among ourselves?
The answer to most of these questions is it depends entirely on context. Some spells announce themselves on a fail, others are just complete silent whifs. Some Sponsor's will be hands on, others hands off. There will be a briefing in the Lanced Hog before your mission offically starts. Teamwork and clever ideas are always rewarded. And as for a Big Bad Chairman, the answer is both yes and no. You all work for your sponsors though, that is your primary employer