Old May 19th, 2021, 11:37 PM
Amateur Vivisectionist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 144
dr kekyll dr kekyll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
I can tell you that there's only three times in this Loooooooooooooong campaign that mounted combat will even be an option. Two of those three times are negated if the party stays on a road. And the 3rd time would only be common beasties found out on the plains, and this is the only one where it specifically says the Party gets mounts/horses before continuing.
That said, on all of these occasions, it says "DM Option" to roll for an encounter. My option would be to not roll for an encounter if the party is mounted, so no mounted combat.
Paladins get a spell to summon their own mounts, but fair enough.
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:03 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5703
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I think my app's complete. Let me know if there's something I'm missing or glaring flaws in my build!
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 325
A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice
Just to be sure... for Ability Score Improvement, do you allow Feats?

Last edited by A7ice; May 20th, 2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:46 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 296
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
I'm interested but do not currently have any chs of that lv it's way above what I've ever been allowed to play to....lv 3 being the highest any other dm allowed before killing off whole party and starting a new game. or get to before dm stopped dming.
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3682
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Then make one up and have fun with it!
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:50 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39192
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Moderator note- Motjaba, one of your posts got caught by the site and was flagged for approval. Happens once in a while to new users with large posts. Anyway, it's been approved.
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:55 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6778
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
ApplicationCharacter Name: Drystan
Race: Human (
  • Languages
    • Celestial
  • Ability Score Increase
    • Wisdom Score
    • Constitution Score
  • Skills
    • Perception
  • Feat
    • Fey Touched (Wisdom)
      • Increase your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
      • You learn the misty step spell and one 1st-level spell of your choice. The 1st-level spell must be from the divination or enchantment school of magic. You can cast each of these spells without expending a spell slot. Once you cast either of these spells in this way, you canít cast that spell in this way again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast these spells using spell slots you have of the appropriate level. The spellsí spellcasting ability is the ability increased by this feat.
        • Comprehend Languages
Variant)
Class: Twilight Domain Cleric (4)/Way of Mercy Monk (6)
Description:

Drystan is a towering but understated presence. While he can impose himself when needed, he spends most of his time trying to go as unnoticed as seven feet of mail, leather, and metal can go. He's definitely showing his age and experience.
Personality:
Only truly relaxed among his closest friends, Drystan shies away in public areas. He keeps a watchful eye on any unknown entity and rarely engages freely. While untrusting of strangers, he's quick to act when distress is detected.
Background:
  • Trait 1: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
  • Trait 2: If someone is in trouble, Iím always ready to lend help.
  • Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. (Good)
  • Bond: I wish my childhood sweetheart had come with me to pursue my destiny.
  • Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.
Character Sheet:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=88482
Character History:
Drystan has travelled far to arrive in Cormyr. After a harsh falling out with his father as a young teen, he left his home in Athkatla. Arriving in Keltar with the help of a caravan, he found himself a standout among the beggars on the streets. The attention wasn't positive in any way. Coming from the life of a spoiled merchant's child to an outsider with no experience in supporting himself, it was nearly deadly.
Taken in by the church of Ilmater, he was healed and put to work. After years of learning the ways of Ilmater, he took a pilgrimage to Glister where he toiled to improve the lives of the miners in honour of Flaergon. It was on this pilgrimage that he fell in with Ibrai. The jolly, effervescent, and adorned man was off putting at first, but after seeing him risk himself in fighting off the raids, Drystan changed his tune.
The two had many discussions, and Drystan was sad to learn of the man's pact but stated that perhaps it was his burden from which he was meant to learn. While there were clear benefits to Ibrai's station, the yolk around his neck could teach him humility, a lesson which the foreigner could clearly use.
Even Drystan had to admire the determination and effort with which Ibrai approached learning a new craft while in Glister, and when Ibrai was to set off, Drystan decided his missionary work was finished and set off beside his new friend.

Last edited by Numen Wraith; May 28th, 2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 02:17 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Then make one up and have fun with it!
I've never made a lv 10 pc.is there a guide to that. when do stats increase from starting point. when do you get extra specialization and proficiencys. do you get special weapons or just normal starter weapons?
Old May 20th, 2021, 02:25 AM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7612
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon0 View Post
I've never made a lv 10 pc.is there a guide to that. when do stats increase from starting point. when do you get extra specialization and proficiencys. do you get special weapons or just normal starter weapons?
Make a Level 1 PC and then just level them up manually 9 times, using the rules in the PHB. The tables at the beginning of each class' description show when you get stat increases and feats.

Forget about gear; most high-level games will have special rules about starting gear. And gear is the least important part of your character anyways.

Focus on creating a character with a personality, rather than a Level 10 Whatever.
Old May 20th, 2021, 03:50 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
Make a Level 1 PC and then just level them up manually 9 times, using the rules in the PHB. The tables at the beginning of each class' description show when you get stat increases and feats.

Forget about gear; most high-level games will have special rules about starting gear. And gear is the least important part of your character anyways.

Focus on creating a character with a personality, rather than a Level 10 Whatever.
ty and personality is my jam....
Old May 20th, 2021, 04:01 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 325
A7ice A7ice A7ice A7ice
My suggestion would be guys to create semi-open end history, so that we can wrap it tighter between those who will be chosen
Old May 20th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7006
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Placeholder for now. I am considering running a halfling artificer, but just want to check that the build I have in mind does only need the mentioned books. If not, I'll think of a new character.

@Drachenspirit Is it ok if I use the Customizing a Background option from the Playerhandbook to make my mechanical background?

Application Template
Character Name: Aorio Sortrheb
Race: Halfling, Stout
Class: Artificer, Battle Smith

Description:
A muscular halfling typically adorned in an apron with tools and his creations easily at hand and a set of goggles on his hat for when he's busy creating. He has short brown hair and a well-groomed moustache. Even for a halfling, Aorio seems quite wide, though he will insist this is due to his padded clothing. His nose is quite large for a halfling and tinged a pinkish-red, due to Aorio being a little too fond of the hard liquor of the big folk.

Aorio is usually accompanied by his Steel Defender - a metallic, constructed hog of medium size. As a halfling, he is quite able to ride his hog, and he frequently does believe it makes him look larger and more imposing.

He usually wears a Cloak of Protection, Boots of Striding and Springing, magically enhanced breastplate and has a magically enhanced scimitar at his belt. All of these items he made himself

Personality:
Aorio is gruff and despite having wandered the lands of the Forgotten Realms for some time still somewhat struggle with the niceties of individual cultures. Being an outcast when he was younger and constantly in the shadow of his more accomplished brothers has left him with a bit of a chip on his shoulder about proving his worth and independence.

Despite his attitude, Aorio is fundamentally on the side of Good and wants the world to be a better place - he just is not convinced the path to this is through organizations and bureaucrats. he will gladly help those in desperate need without reward, but if someone has power or wealth he will be more of a merchant in negotiating rewards and
payment

Background:
A custom background which I'll call "Monastery Reject". Aorio spent much of his youth doing hard physical labour and martial arts training - granting him Athletics and Acrobatics.

As he was trained by an official Artificer, I will take the Guild Membership feature from Guild Artisan.
  • Trait 1: I like to talk at length about my profession.
  • Trait 2: I’m oblivious to etiquette and social expectations.
  • Ideal: Independence. I value the freedom to pursue my own goals without interference. (Chaotic)
  • Bond: I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.
  • Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Character Sheet:
Here. Artificers get a lot in terms of spells and infusions and stuff, so I am probably saving most of my gold - esp. as I can make most magic items with my infusions.

Also, will include the stats for the Steel Defender in the Other Notes section

Character History:

Mushroomshire is a small halfling community located in a valley in the Sunrise Mountains. It would be unexceptional save for a slight trade in exotic truffles, except for the Monastery. Erected in reverence of a phoenix that blessed the valley with its fertile soil, the monks in the monastery spend most of their lives mastering the elemental magic of fire.

The Sortrheb clan have lived in the Monastery for generations. A few of their ancestors been were bestowed the magic of the phoenix itself. Aorio was born twin to his brother Oiarm, and from a very young age, they were expected to train in the monastery. Their older brother, Uigil was already a somewhat respected person in the monastery and Mushroomshire having become the chief cleric of Urogalan, the Halfling deity who protects the dead.

Oiarm eagerly took to the life of a monk, rapidly becoming a skilled martial artist and easily one of the best students of the monastery. Meanwhile, while Aorio benefitted physically from the training of a monk, he did not take to the discipline and stillness of mind that was truly required to master it. He was far more interested in reading about the world beyond the valley, talking to the few traveller's who came through Mushroomshire or the monastery and endlessly questioning the various traditional methods of mushroom farming, hobbit hole building and other such rustic activities which Aorio believed could be done far more efficiently. Being frequently punished for his lack of focus and shut down for questioning things lead Aorio to become a rather grumpy and moody young halfling who felt outcast from the community.

When Aorio and Oiarm were teenagers, a would-be Dragonborn conqueror attempted to seize their valley with a small army of bandits and mercenaries. Oiarm revealed that he was one of the few of the Sortrheb clan who had received a portion of the power of the phoenix - the ability to conjure magical flame. He was able to lead a counter-attack and drive the Dragonborn away in defeat. This elevates Oiarm to a hero in the eyes of his people. Meanwhile, Aorio became more and more withdrawn now radically overshadowed by both his brothers.

When Aorio was an adult, he eagerly volunteered to assist the monthly expeditions to a nearby gnomish town - desiring nothing more than to be away from the town he felt so outcast and alone in. The gnomish town appealed far more to Aorio - fascinated by the bustle of the cobbled streets and the tinkering and inventions of the rock gnomes. He befriended a gnome tinkerer named Lauig. After a few visits to the town, Lauig offered to take on Aorio as an apprentice. Aorio gladly accepted, having long wished to leave the valley and village of Mushroomshire where he felt so out of place.

Aorio completed his training with Lauig, learning the ins and outs of being an artificer. He proved to be an intelligent, if somewhat impulsive, student. When he completed his first Steel Defender, Lauig told the now-adult halfling he had taught him all he could. Sent on his way with his mentor's blessing and some renown among the artificers and tinkerers of the area, Aorio travelled onwards - always heading away from his much-hated home - in search of new technology and seeking to make a name - and wealth - for himself. He has spent some time travelling about the Forgotten Realms, most recently falling in with a group of adventurers who now find themselves in Cormyr - a place Aorio is curious about given its reputation for prosperity

[/FIELDSET]

Last edited by Arachobia; May 22nd, 2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10816
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
@Drachenspirit: How do you feel about Retainers from the Noble background? Would it be possible to include some as NPCs or would it be too much hassle for too little worth?

Edit to add: Also, can we buy magic items with starting gold? If so, what prices would we use?

Last edited by Lazer; May 20th, 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18840
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
I believe I have answered all questions asked so far and added them to the bottom of the advert first post.

Note, that there is a 25% chance that any magic item of Common level and above is sentient. If the roll is successful, I will roll randomly for what your magic item's abilities are.