DnD5e Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 28th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 275
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
@feywild

I have done a character sheet using standard array. I assume I will have the chance to roll/point buy if actually selected for the game.

If not, no problem, just wanted to know.

Debi

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Old May 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5215
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hey there! I've never had a chance to play this campaign, so I'd very much like to submit my application;

Application
right-aligned image

Character Name: Wellby Underbough
Class: Monk
Race: Stout Halfling
Alignment: NG

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
  • Personality trait: I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
  • Personality trait: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
  • Ideal: Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone, and I will help them find it.
  • Bond: The people trust me to keep the streets safe. I can't let them down.
  • Flaw: I'm always in debt. I spend my ill-gotten gains on decadent luxuries faster than I bring them in.

Appearance: Wellby has a mischievous look in his large, brown eyes, accentuated by his perpetually crooked grin. The halfling exudes an aura of gentle confidence, his movements deliberate, his gaze seemingly always taking in his surroundings with a passive curiosity. Despite his penchant for wearing clothes too expensive for his purse, Wellby sports tousled, chestnut hair and stubble on his cheekline, presenting the image of an individual who is somewhat relaxed about his appearance.

His clothes, more often than not, consist of a loose-fitting white, high collar blouse, a brightly coloured doublet in reds or yellows, and dark brown pantaloons held up by a thin leather belt. A single golden coin, a gift presented to Wellby by his father on the day he left for Baldur's Gate, hangs around his neck by a black leather necklace. Despite the slight pot belly found so commonly with halflings, Wellby is otherwise quite broad of shoulder, his muscles toned without being overly exaggerated. Both his toes and fingers are quite long, and he has a little scar on the back of his right hand.

Personality: Wellby is a quiet, kind halfling, who enjoys the simple pleasures in life. A mug of ale by a warm fire, a pipe stuffed with homegrown tobacco, and the company of the common people. His goal in life is to spread joy; having overcome a darkness within himself, the halfling now seeks to help others do the same. He feels that those who do evil, do so because a darkness taints their soul- but underneath that darkness, people are generally good, and worth saving. If Wellby can provide a helping hand to those who seek to shed their darkness, he is both happy and thankful to do so.

Yet in the early days of his career, the halfling was far less capable of shrugging off such darkness. Even now, in his quiet moments, sometimes the memories of that time come back, giving way to doubt and sorrow. During such times, the halfling needs his companions, to show him there is still good and kindness in the world, and that it is worth fighting for.

Wellby's penchant for enjoying the simple pleasures of life often leave his coin purse less than full. Living life from day to day has left the halfling with little savings for tomorrow, and he perpetually owes money at local inns and gambling dens- though never long to the same creditor, for while Wellby is quick to make a debt, he is loath to leave it unpaid for long.

History: Wellby arrived in Baldur's Gate some forty years ago, travelling with a band of friends to seek better lives for themselves. Finding the city offered fewer opportunities for gainful employment than he had hoped, Wellby resolved to spend his days lounging in the local tavern, spending what coin he had on ale and hearty meals when not out looking for a job. As it so happened, one day, a job came looking for him; one of the serving girls had gone missing. The city watch, after performing a perfunctory investigation, decided she had probably gone on a vacation without telling anyone. The tavern keeper, who considered his staff as close as family, offered a substantial reward for anyone who could bring back his employee. Concerned about the girl, and having worked up quite a bit of debt with the tavern's owner, Wellby thought he'd try his hand at finding her.

As it turned out, being a detective was not easy, but the halfling would not be deterred. What Wellby lacked in experience and training, he made up for with his deductive reasoning, resourcefulness and determination. He eventually found the girl- she had an uncle who owed a large sum of money to the owners of an illegal gambling den. When the uncle couldn't pay what he owed, his creditors decided to kidnap his niece by way of motivation. As it turned out, the uncle was had been afraid to involve the watch, but was far more willing to tell a friendly halfling his story. Wellby offered the information to the city watch, leading to the kidnapper's arrest and the girl's freedom. The payment was a nice bonus, but Wellby found that what he really enjoyed was the feeling of doing good- of helping innocent people who had somehow run afoul of the local criminals. And so, he decided to make a career of tracking down those criminals, and quickly became known as a legitimate bounty hunter. This lifestyle suited Wellby- for a time.

Unfortunately, tracking down criminals meant seeing more of the city's afwul underbelly than Wellby was entirely comfortable with. The greed, anger, violence and hate which plagued the people made the halfling consider where exactly humans had gone wrong- when happiness had become less important than coin. These doubts, and the many cases he failed to solve, festered in Wellby's mind until finally, the halfling could take no more. Reeling from all he had seen, Wellby sought refuge in a local temple dedicated to Yondalla. While not overly religious himself, the temple offered Wellby a place where he could calm his mind, process all he had seen. For a year, he remained a guest of the temple, until he was finally ready to step out into the world again.

When he did, Wellby was a changed halfling. His time at the temple had taught him that mortals were, essentially, good people. While the stress of everyday life corrupted them, at their core there was something worth saving. And so, Wellby picked up his old vocation again, bringing in criminals- but this time, he tried his best to help them find redemption. Many times the halfing failed, but his faith in the goodness of people was solid.

How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?
A little over forty years ago, just after his twentieth birthday, Wellby lived in Gullykin, a small halfling village a few days south of Baldur's Gate. Life there was quiet, simple and easy. Wellby would have enjoyed living there, except for one problem. There were no opportunities for a young halfling- all good jobs were filled by the elders, and Wellby had little interest in working as a farmhand or woodcutter's apprentice. Several of his friends felt the same way, and during a night of drunken revelry, they decided to leave Gullykin and move to Badur's Gate. The morning after brought both a hangover and sobriety, but still the halflings were determined to follow through with their plan. Preparations were made, and a week later the band of halflings departed, their families wishing them the best.

After travelling by foot for several days, the halflings arrived at the city's gates, and began forging new lives for themselves. Now four decades have passed, and the former companions have lost contact in that time- though all remember their humble origins in Gullykin, and will stop and catch up with one another if they happen to see each other in the streets of Baldur's Gate.

What do you expect of me as a DM?
I'm looking forward to see how you will run this campaign- I've heard of it, but never read the book, so I've honestly very little idea of what to expect! What I like most about games I play in, though, is the chance for character interaction- the opportunity to explore both one's own character, and how they interact with party members and the world around them. Hopefully, there will be plenty of opportunity to do so! Also I'm very curious about these Campaign Features you mentioned- looking forward to seeing those in play!

Last edited by DemonSlayer; May 28th, 2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed some tags
Old May 28th, 2021, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 767
thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild
@DebiRedHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiRedHair View Post
@feywild

I have done a character sheet using standard array. I assume I will have the chance to roll/point buy if actually selected for the game.

If not, no problem, just wanted to know.

Debi
That is correct—you would have the opportunity to roll for stats in the dice thread if selected. If you've gone ahead and worked on a character sheet with either standard array or point buy, that's totally fine.
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Jumil Jumil
I thought I'd try and fill a role that's missing from the applications so far. I was thinking of contributing a human or aasimar grave cleric but was wondering if you had any recommendations before I start work on things proper.

Also congrats on the third kid!
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Jumil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumil View Post
I thought I'd try and fill a role that's missing from the applications so far. I was thinking of contributing a human or aasimar grave cleric but was wondering if you had any recommendations before I start work on things proper.

Also congrats on the third kid!
Thank you very much!

I don't necessarily want to give recommendations, so as not to suggest that I am looking for something specific. That being said, I think a Grave Cleric, either Human or Aasimar, would be a fine character choice. Totally up to you and what you think would work well with a party.

Last edited by thefeywild; May 28th, 2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Jumil Jumil
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeywild View Post
@Jumil

Thank you very much!

I don't necessarily want to give recommendations, so as not to suggest that I am looking for something specific. That being said, I think a Grave Cleric, either Human or Aasimar, would be a fine character choice. Totally up to you and what you think would work well with a party.
Sounds good! With that information I'll start work on my application now. I'll be working on a variant human grave cleric. I had actually built something similar before but never got to use it. His name is Orson but he'll require a bit of tweaking. Shouldn't be too bad. I'll hopefully have my application up proper today or tomorrow.

Orson Sacristan
left-aligned image

Character Name: Orson Sacristan
Class: Cleric – Grave Domain (Deity Kelemvor)
Race: Variant Human
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Acolyte (Baldur's Gate) Kelemvor
Personality Trait 1: I am tolerant of other faiths and respect the worship of other gods. (Exception: Undead)
Personality Trait 2: I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace. (Exception: Undead)
Ideal: Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: Everything I do is for the common people.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
Appearance:
Orson is a young man with shaggy brown hair and brown eyes. He has a very short beard and stands an average height for a human. His expression is warm and he generally looks the approachable friendly type. The clothing he wears on an ordinary day is not adorned with the symbols of Kelemvor. This is because the images can be unsettling to those who Orson works with: people who are at death's door. He usually wears black breeches and a fur-lined green cowl with a hood. Underneath, he wears a simple gray tunic. If Orson is expecting battle or representing the clergy he also wears a gray tabard with Kelemvor's symbol in gold. In such a state he would also be wielding a shield with his deity's symbol and a flanged mace.

Personality:

Backstory:

After the Lich's attack on Eggly Orson joined the Doomguides and travelled with them to Baldur's Gate. There he trained to become an official member of the clergy: a cleric of Kelemvor. Currently he lives a modest life at their temple in The Twin Songs. He spends most of his days performing final rites and caring for the needy who take shelter at The Church of Last Hope.

Honestly my biggest thing is to just be kind and courteous. I can work with mostly anything so long as we can have a civil and friendly conversation. I want us to have a good time and I get the feeling that with you I don't have to worry. Just make sure to communicate with us should you need time (as you've already done) and let me know if there's anything I can do to make things easier for you as a DM. I have never DMed. I imagine it's hard. I appreciate you doing it. So anything I can do to make your life easier is fine by me!

Last edited by Jumil; May 31st, 2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 28th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5012
Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel Paerniel
right-aligned image

Character Name: Gaston Brokengulf

Class: Barbarian (Path of the Ancestral Guardian)

Race: Half-elf

Appearance: Olive complexion, brown hair, deep brown eyes, bristly chin beard.

Personality: Quiet and proud, but carefree. Life as a Waterdavian Noble has its priviledges.

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Background: Noble

Personality Trait 1: No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses.

Personality Trait 2: Despite my noble birth, I do not place myself above other folk. We all have the same blood.

Ideal: Family. Blood runs thicker than water.

Bond: Nothing is more important than the other members of my family.

Flaw: I hide a truly scandalous secret that could ruin my family forever.

Backstory: Gaston Brokengulf is the son of Morius Brokengulf and is the great-grandson of Prendergast Brokengulf and the infamous Aridarye Phylund. While their involvement in Aridarye’s first husband’s death is accepted and understood, House Brokengulf has been able to recover from the somewhat nefarious legacy and enjoys a status of wealth and prominence among the Waterdavian elite.

But what gives House Brokengulf its reputation for being renowned explorers and hunters who are known for tracking and capturing wild beasts? It is the connection that each and every true Brokengulf has to their ancestors, particularly Saerlin Brokengulf the patriarch. While House Brokengulf has aligned itself with Tyr in its outward worship, deep within its halls, true reverence is given to the patriarchs of House Brokengulf. As a result, generations of Brokengulfs receive great blessings and assistance from those who came before them.

The exception to this seems to be Gaston. Now in his 25th year, he has yet to receive any manifestation from his ancestors regarding his power and ability. His good friend Urtos Phylund VI, repeatedly tells him it is because he spends most of his time drinking, reveling, and cavorting in the various taverns of Waterdeep rather than going out and making a name for himself as a Brokengulf.

Gaston, however, is starting to believe if he is a true Brokengulf. Though he received some alteration to his physical characteristics as a child, he was born with elven features. His father, of course, was full human, as was his mother. So where did the half-elf come from. All his life, he has searched for that answer. Depending on which household servant you talk to, his mother, Astra Phylund, was allegedly having an affair with one of the elven adventurers her husband ran with, or his mother was actually a half-breed herself from the bastard union between her father and an elven mistress, or he was picked up in one of the many Waterdeep orphanages, or he was a changeling at birth. After years of searching, he believes he has finally uncovered the truth, and if the scandal were to be known, the Brokengulfs would probably lose all of their connections and holdings.

His mother really did have the affair with one of the elven adventurers she ran with. Because his mother is actually is father Morius Brokengulf. Not being able to have children, Prendergast II, Gaston’s grandfather, decided that any heir he created would be heir to the Brokengulf. So, he bestowed the title on his child, a daughter, whom he finally conceived in old age. The birth seemed to be riddled in tragedy as his wife died in childbirth followed by Prendergast II a few months later. As the laws surrounding the Brokengulf’s ennoblement were examined, only males could inherit the lordship. With only a female heir, House Brokengulf was doomed to die out. To prevent this from happening, a loyal steward and trusted retainer of Prendergast II decided that the regents were to raise the newborn as a male. The staff was quickly downsized to prevent exposure of the deception, and only a few trusted servants remained. When she became old enough Morius was informed of the issue and taught the household legacy of the Brokengulfs. So, following tradition, Morius went through life as Lord Brokengulf, taking up the family sword, living the life as an adventurer, and eventually dying during the sage Imani’s assault on the hoard of the dracolich Dretchroyaster (marking the end of the Spellplague).

During Morius’ life, she married her long-time lover Astra Phylund and together they lived as husband and wife at the Brokengulf estate. In order to continue the deception, Astra persuaded Morius to keep the Brokengulf line within the Brokengulf and Phylund family. So, Morius conceived a child with Astra’s bastard brother, who, unbeknownst to anyone else, possessed elven blood. His hedonism made him ready and willing to participate and laughed about the mixed blood after the conception. Oddly, that bastard was never seen again, and Gaston believes he is buried somewhere in the Brokengulf’s basement. During the pregnancy, both Morius and Astra remained sequestered in their home and neither were seen until after the child’s birth, where the deception could be taken up again, and the child Gaston presented as the Brokengulf heir.

Of course Gaston eventually learned the truth, in spite of his father and mother being taken from him by the dracolich at such an early age, which brings the question of his lineage to the surface. Did Morius’ deception shame the ancestors enough to end their guardianship to their progeny? Does Gaston’s mixed heritage not make him a true Brokengulf? Would the ancestors even recognize him as one of their own? Since the ancestors only manifest in battle, there really is only one way to find out.

Maybe Urtos is right. Maybe it is time for Gaston to go out and make a name for himself. Taking up his ancestral greatsword, he begins looking for a way to find that connection he seeks. He just has to make sure that NO ONE discovers the truth about his father/mother.

How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?: Taking Urtos' advice, Gaston booked passage on the first ship out of Waterdeep. That ship, Skimmer was headed to Baldur's Gate, so that was where Gaston got off. He keeps an eye out for any potential means of determining his familial bond.

What do you expect of me as a DM?: To have all the rules memorized, to provide eloquent description, to fudge the dice in favor of the players, and to cater to my every RP desire! Okay, just kidding. I just want you, and all of us, to have fun with this. Some of us have read the campaign, others have not. Even though some of us may know the outline of the plot, let's write the story together.

Last edited by Paerniel; Jun 10th, 2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5703
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I apologize, but I cannot for the life of me come up with any inspiration to play a character I'd enjoy. And rather than drag through a half-good design, I'd rather just retract my application from the game. I apologize but I'd not want to waste everyone's time with something uninspired to play with.
Old May 29th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Runetide
No problem! You're always welcome to apply if you come up with a character you'd enjoy.
Old May 29th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Amateur Vivisectionist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 144
dr kekyll dr kekyll
@Runetide I know that feeling. That Four From Cormyr game looked interesting, and, mechanically, a fighter/paladin looked fun, but I just couldn't get excited about the character, so I withdrew.
Old May 29th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4338
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Char app - WIP
right-aligned image

Name:
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue (plan on Rogue 3 /Sorcerer 3)

Skills:
Race: Perception, Stealth
Background: Medicine, Religion
Class: Acrobatics, Investigation, Sleight of Hand, Athletics
Tools: Thieves' tools, Herbalism kit
Expertise: Perception, Athletics

Equipment:
A scroll case stuffed full of notes from your studies or prayers, a winter blanket, a set of common clothes, an herbalism kit, and 5 gp
Leather armor, two daggers, and thieves' tools
A rapier or a shortbow and quiver of 20 arrows
Backpack,ball bearing (100),string,candle (5),crowbar,hammer,piton (5),hooded lantern,flask of oil (2),rations (5),tinderbox,waterskin,hempen rope.

Background: Baldur's Gate Hermit
Hermit Origin: You crossed the Guild in a bad way. Fortunately, its members think you're dead. Less fortunately, maintaining that deception might require you to stay in hiding until you actually are.
Hermit speciality: I was exiled for a crime I didn't commit.
Trait1: I'm oblivious to etiquette and social expectations.
Trait2: I've been isolated for so long that I rarely speak, preferring gestures and the occasional grunt.
Ideal: Self-Knowledge. If you know yourself, there's nothing left to know. (Any)
Bond: I entered seclusion to hide from the ones who might still be hunting me. I must someday confront them.
Flaw: Now that I've returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.

WIP

Appearance
Personality
Alignment
Backstory

Last edited by Kshnik; May 29th, 2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 03:30 PM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1221
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Application-Complete
right-aligned image

NAME:
Davavor Bellas

CLASS: Warlock (Hexblade)

RACE: Half-Elf

APPEARANCE:
Davavor is a walking set of contradictions. Shorter than most individuals of mixed elven and human heritages, he is stout without being portly. His limbs appear thick and sinewy from years working a forge. His fingers, however, are slender and graceful, well-suited to delicate and precise craftsmanship. His dark hair is rough and unkempt, usually since his hood is often drawn to hide the slavers mark on his neck. The flecks of gray in his hair are unusual for someone in his mid-twenties. His overly large brown eyes belie an intense, at times dangerous focus. Davavor retains a hint of an Aglarondan accent, but it is very subtle.

PERSONALITY:
Inherently careful and calculating by nature. Davavor tends to take on the opposite vibe of the crowd he finds himself in. He is capable of being encouraging and supportive to his comrade if they are in need. He also tends to curl up inside himself when surrounded by extraverts. He will grudgingly come to the aid of those in and victims of bullies.

ALIGNMENT: Neutral Good

BACKGROUND: Baldur's Gate Urchin

TRAITS:
I think anyone who’s nice to me is hiding evil intent.
I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can’t help it— I’m a perfectionist.
IDEALS:
Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.
Creativity. The world is in need of new ideas and bold action.
BONDS:
No one else should have to endure the hardships I’ve been through.
I owe everything to my ‘mentor’—a horrible person who’s rotting away in an alley somewhere.
FLAWS:
Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
I remember every insult I’ve received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who’s ever wronged me.
BACKSTORY:
Stolen away at a very young age from Aglarond (far east of the Sword Coast), Davavor and his sister Yewynn were sold to a blacksmith named Tribben Vachel. in Baldur’s Gate. At first, Tribben used them both to clean the small inner working of his forge. Soon, however, Tribben realized the boy had true talent for the craft. Locking the foreigner away, he forced Davavor to produce items of increasing value. Taking credit for creating the merchandise himself, Tribben grew rich, fat and influential over the years among the local blacksmith guild.

Hidden away, Davavor knew not what his master did with the works. He resented his meager existence under Tribben, but felt powerless to change his predicament after the death of Yewynn (see RP sample below). Although his rage towards his overlord bubbled just under the surface, the only solace he knew was focusing on his craft.

(Death of Yewynn)

As he was calibrating the bellows one night, as was his habit when he couldn’t sleep, Davavor heard a saccharine whisper saying his sister’s name slowly. At first, he thought it was the bellows, but the whisper was then followed by a brief chuckling; then nothing. The next night, Davavor heard the whispering again. Due to his isolation, he was not unfamiliar with muttering to himself – but he had never before heard disembodied voices. Attempting to dismiss it as a figment of his imagination, the same thing happened every night that week.

Distracted by the voice and unwell due to losing sleep, it became increasingly difficult to focus on his work. Tribben withheld meals, claiming he had been forced to discount a shield promised to a noble because it lacked Davavor’s usual precision. Finally, when Davavor felt he was on the brink of going mad, the voice disclosed some of itself to him. It claimed to be a servant of Gond, god of smiths, with an offer from its master to aid Davavor in his current plight. All he need do pledge his talent and efforts. The young man’s thoughts were jumbled but his gut knew something was amiss. He dismissed it outright, redoubled his energies on losing himself in his forge work.

Two days later, Davavor awoke gently and calmly as the sun washed across his face. Gradually sounds from the city streets grew in his ears, much louder than they normally were back in his cloistered workspace. Then he heard wet, slopping noises much closer to his ear. He opened his eyes to see a dog licking something red off Tribben’s face. In a thunderbolt, he realized he was outside in an alley. Tribben’s lifeless body lay next to him, a thick ugly gash across his master’s neck. As he sat up and took in this flood of information, the dog came over to him and started licking something off his own hands. Blood! Was it… was it Tribben’s blood? Had he done this? He had no recollection of the previous night. Or many nights before that. He looked around in utter panic, fearful that someone would stumble into the alley at any moment. A lifetime of punishment had taught him that he’d be blamed, regardless of the truth. Torn between finally escaping his prison and leaving his beloved forge, he did the only thing he could do – he ran.

And as he did, he heard the voice again. The honeyed tones abandoned, the voice offered benign suggestions for surviving on the streets in a strong raspy tenor: how to hide, where to find food, when to avoid the authorities. At night, it coos him to sleep with a single word. Over weeks, Davavor came to grudgingly accept the aid. It never gave its name, nor would it answer any questions about Tribben’s fate. Constant anxiety was gradually replaced by relief and almost a modicum of content at the death of his former master. Nevertheless, the threat of turning a corner and walking into the city constables was real. He needed to get out of the city.
He's been surviving on the streets of Baldur's Gate for an undetermined amount of time (months?) after finding himself freed from slavery by uncertain means. Originally from the far east region of Algarond, Davavor and his twin sister were kidnapped by slavers early in childhood (6-8 yo). After captivity in multiple slaver caravans over many miles, the twins were eventually sold to a blacksmith in Baldur's Gate named Tribben Vachel approximately ten years ago.

I'm so excited about potentially thirteen levels of fun! Please keep everyone engaged and interest (a daunting task, especially we 3 li'l ones). I think in PbP, a DM's toughest job is keeping the momentum going so players don't drift away. I appreciate how up front you were in the ad regarding your availability in June.

Last edited by chri2m; May 29th, 2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Bulwark
Rowan Shaed
left-aligned image
Character Name: Rowan Shaed
Class: Rogue (Scout)
Race: Half-Elf
Alignment: Lawful Good

Appearance
Rowan looks to be in his mid-twenties and has an average build. His short black hair is usually unkempt and only gets cut when it starts to hang in front of his light blue eyes. He has a large scar from the middle of his left eye down to his jaw that the hair of his short beard does not grow across. On a normal day Rowan dresses in his black and gray mottled armor, baggy black breeches, and a pair of sturdy gray leather boots. Depending on the weather, he wears a very dark brown cloak.

Personality
Most people that meet Rowan would describe him as a simple and straightforward person. He is equally at home on the road or in a city and doesn't get too excited about most things. He has a generally friendly demeanor and tends to avoid any kind of spotlight.

Rowan's skill as a scout is something that he's proud of and he enjoys using that skill. In between caravans he moonlights as a cartographer to hone his observational skills and memory. When relaxing, he enjoys solving blacksmith puzzles and fiddling with locks. He knows that he can rely on himself in most situations and has an easy confidence that makes him likable.

Background:
Merchant Guard ScoutYou have traveled countless miles across the length and breadth of Faerun, scouting ahead of merchant caravans. Your ability to read terrain and sense danger are invaluable tools that you put to good use for your employers.
Mechanics2 skills: Survival, Animal Handling
2 tools: Vehicles (Land), Cartographers Tools

Feature: WandererYou have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
Merchant Guard Scout
Personality Trait 1: I’m confident in my own abilities and do what I can to instill confidence in others.
Personality Trait 2 I'm always prepared for danger.
Ideal: Responsibility. I have skills that could protect others so I must use them.
Bond: Whoever I'm scouting for is my charge and I will warn them of the dangers ahead.
Flaw: I have trouble trusting anyone else to do my job. What if they miss something?

Backstory
Rowan stared thoughtfully into the glowing embers, all that remained of the campfire, and took a long draw from his pipe before speaking. "There ain't really much to tell. I got tired of fighting my brothers for supper so I left the farm." A couple of the other guards chuckled, smoking their own pipes or servicing their equipment. Rowan smiled. Their watch was done and the sky was full of stars. A cool breeze blew through the camp and brought with it the faint smell of the sea. They were only a day out from Baldur's Gate, with many more ahead of them. "'Course it took me a little while to find steady work. I loaded more ships and carts than there has a right to be in this world before I got offered a spot on a caravan by a woman who thought more of me than I did."

There were a few more chuckles and some yawns. He'd told his story countless times around just as many dying fires with just as many bored guardsmen. It used to take a lot more of his breath but the longer he travelled the more details of his early life didn't seem to matter. "I made just enough from that run to buy my equipment and feed myself until the next one." The half-elf yawned and tapped his pipe on his boot to empty it. "And that's it. I've been on the road ever since."

Another hour passed with guardsmen telling stories and sharing around pipes with exotic tobacco from far off places or swigs from flasks filled with the rarest liquor. Eventually, with the coals of the fire barely smoldering and morning only a few hours away, they all retired to their bedrolls. Rowan lay staring up at the night sky and enjoying the coolness of the night. The first few days of a journey were his favorite.

Rowan has just arrived with a caravan returning from the south and is looking for more work.

A place to explore Rowan's character and, also, some really cool devils to fight.

Last edited by Bulwark; Jun 1st, 2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20323
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
@thefeywild - This looks like a very interesting game. I've had an idea percolating in my head all morning while I was working on the farm. I will hopefully be working on an application over the rest of the weekend. I will see if the idea brews up to something special and worthy of submitting.

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; May 29th, 2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old May 29th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Let the Wookie Win

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1221
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
@thefeywild: I think my app for Davavor is complete; please let me know if I missed anything.

Do you have any idea when you'll be making your decisions regarding applicants?