DnD5e Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 29th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 767
thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild
@chri2m
Application looks good!

I had planned on June 18, but I'm considering moving that up a bit. I'll see where we are after next week, and if I decide to change the application deadline I'll post an announcement here.
Old May 30th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Chrystrom
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Old May 30th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 848
Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd Demandredd
Basic InfoName: Nue Yai
Class: Sorceress (Draconic Origins)
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Hermit
Personality Trait 1: The only thing predictable about me is my unpredictability. In any given situation you can count on me doing something unexpected.
Personality Trait 2: There is a kernel of kindness hidden inside of me. It will manifest itself in the strangest of situations.
Ideal: There is no law, and no use for laws. I believe only in chaos.
Bond: I will lay down my life for my friends. They are, after all, the only thing I have left.
Flaw: I am at war within myself. I struggle to reconcile my own chaotic nature with the kind-hearted person I wish I could be. This division inside me will tear me apart.

"I am Fire. I am Ice. All things pleasure and pain I am. I am nothing more than a conduit to the maelstrom that courses through my body. I am cursed, you are cursed, this place is cursed yet here we are and here we must go.”

AppearanceOn the surface, Nue Yai is beautiful. Fiery red hair frames a pale, almost alabaster complexion. The result is an almost otherworldly aura that radiates outwards from her. Yet, in this case, beauty is only skin deep. The first thing that stands out about Nue Yai if one were to look at her is the occasional flicker of insanity that flits across her hazel eyes. The second is the way her ruby red lips curl up to one side in an almost obvious display of the madness that permeates her shattered mind.

Nue Yai tends to dress all in red. This is an affectation of her belief that she is the embodiment of chaos and the elements.

Flowing red robes that conceal the morass of scar tissue that mars her skin, a ghastly trophy of her time spent in the dungeons of Darkhold. Yet those scars are also testament to Nue Yai's toughness. She has survived where most would not, and although her soul has been irrevocably twisted and altered by her experiences, she is nothing but a survivor.

Albeit a survivor whose beauty lies only at the surface of pale, moonlit abalaster.

PersonalityWhen she speaks, the human sorceress leaves little in doubt as to her undoubted insanity, and it is the sort of insanity that puts you on edge. Here is a tempestuous woman who is as likely to help you as she is to set you on fire depending on how she feels on a particular day. There is no reasoning or logic or careful measured thought in the mind and eye of Nue Yai. There is nothing but the furious, tempestuous whirlwind of the storm as she burns everything and everyone that stands in her way. This is a girl who has been molded by the Black Network to become a capable weapon in their hands, and it is a girl who has had every single piece of her old personality systematically stripped and burned away from her until she has been forged into the essence of pure, burning chaos itself.

Nue Yai is unpredictable. She is remorseless, yet even so, she still holds within her a strange sense of duty and loyalty to those few that she calls friend.

This is because there are moments when fragments of the person she once comes unbidden forth to the surface of the insane spellcaster. These fragments manifest themselves in the strangest of ways. An act of kindness to a starving child, or a mercy killing to a poor soul dying at the hands of her not so merciful Zhentarim brethren. There are sometimes glimpses of the kind-hearted girl that she once was, buried deep deep underneath the scarred exterior of the pure unbridled chaos that she has become.

Or perhaps deep down, buried underneath all of the horrible depradations she has suffered that has darkened her soul, the truth is quite shockingly simple.

Nue Yai is lonely.

BackstoryNue Yai's story does not begin with her. It begins with her father who was an adventurer of no small renown. Dradok Yai hated the drow. His hatred was something that bordered on obsession after a drow raider killed his brother. Dradok made it his personal mission to hunt down and eradicate the drow scum from every single one of their underground holes. It could easily be said that this overarching mission of his overshadowed any semblance of good sense that he had. One day, Dradok pushed his luck too far. Pursuing the drow in the Underdark through to what he believed to be one of their underground forts, he found, to his surprise that he had actually pushed through into the lair of a colossal dragon with scales the colour of deep crimson.

Kugenunth the Red was a particularly capricious dragon who often let his actions be dictated by pure whimsy. The day that Dradok stumbled into his lair was a particularly fortuitous one for the foolish human. Kugenunth had just made a meal out of the drow that Dradok had hunted and was not particularly hungry. So it was that Kugenunth made a bargain with the foolish human. Dradok would be allowed to live in return for the soul of Dradok’s first born child. Dradok thought himself extremely lucky, he had no children and no inclination for them and so he believed that the bargain fell in his favour. Accepting the dragon’s offer, Dradok was allowed to leave the underground lair.

Years passed, and as they did, Dradok forgot the bargain made with Kugenunth. The adventurer settled down and, as was his wont, married a beautiful maiden. A couple of years later, his first child, Nue Yai was born.

The first eighteen years of her life were the happiest that Nue Yai ever had, though those memories are lost to her now, buried down within the depths of her tortured and fragmented mind. On her eighteenth birthday, the nightmares began. She dreamt of a cavern, far far down beneath the earth. This cavern was huge, and lying in the centre of it was a gigantic form of crimson red. This magnificent, yet terrifying creature opened its serpentine yellow eyes and it languidly snaked its gargantuan neck to look her in the eyes.

”My daughter,” it said in an impossibly deep and monstrous voice. “Your soul belongs to me.”

It opened its mouth, revealing rows and rows of razor sharp teeth nestled behind its cavernous jaws. Then it breathed fire, and she felt dreadful agony as the flesh melted from her bones and she transmogrified into ash and cinder.

Night after night the nightmare repeated, and each night she felt the pain of fire and death. It was soon after this that her latent powers began to manifest. It began in a small, yet profound way with Nue discovering that she had the ability to form small globes of light in her hand. It was a small thing, yet wonderful to begin with as Nue experimented with her burgeoning magical abilities. Yet over time the power inside of her grew and grew until it became as a flowing river looking to burst its own banks and she found it more and more difficult to control.

One night, her father spied her experimenting with her magical powers and confronted her, confusion evident in his manner. It was then that Nue told him of the nightmares and Dradok belatedly remembered and realised the truth of the bargain he had struck all those years ago. He told her his own tale, of the red dragon Kugenunth and the deal he had made with it for the soul of his first born child.

It was that same night, as Dradok drowned his sorrows in ale that Nue Yai left under cover of darkness. Now understanding the origins of her powers and the nightmares that tormented her, she had resolved to travel to the same cavern her father had, and find the red dragon Kugenunth. It was a foolhardy decision and one she was absolutely not ready for.

She did not last long before a Zhentarim raiding party took her......

They were not gentle with her.

She wakes, and the first thing she feels is the metallic taste of blood against her tongue. The creak of a door opening, and light spills in from the outside. Shielding her eyes from the painful light, she turns away, holding her hands up piteously. The girl expects another beating. From head to toe, all she can feel is the dull ache of throbbing pain coursing up and down her broken body.

Licking parched, torn lips, she shudders, trying to speak through swollen tongue......

A rough hand grabs her, hauling her to her feet. A hand pushing her. She stumbles, falling to her knees.....the cold, jagged stones tearing into her flesh. Two more scars adding to her ever growing collection. Dark eyes blink from the painful light shoved up close to her face. They just wanted to make her hurt more.

The girl tries to laugh, but the pitiful, weak sound mixes with a sob as she chokes and tears obscure her vision. Searing pain courses through her mind, mixed with terrible, terrible memories as she remembers. She remembers the days in the world outside of this terrible dungeon simply without a care....without a care in the world. Yet that was so long ago. The girl barely remembers the sunlight now, trapped for so long as she has been in the dark. The days had bled into weeks.....months......years. One day blurring into the next, an endless cacophony of pain and madness.

When they were finished there was nothing left of the girl that once was Nue Yai save fragments of a life so painfully far removed from the one it was now that she could not truly be sure whether it was real or illusion. Yet the methods of the Black Network were nothing if not effective. Nue Yai was now a magical weapon in their service.

An effective, if somewhat insane weapon.

Save the nightmares, all traces of her old life were gone. And now, rumours began to float in the wind of something terrible lurking within the city of Baldur's Gate. What better way to test their newest agent than to dispatch her to Baldur's Gate to see if she could uncover the truth of the chaos within the city, and perhaps manipulate it to the Black Network's advantage?

What do you expect of me as a DM?: For me, what I am looking for and what I enjoy most about PbP is the ability to weave a cooperative tale with like-minded individuals. There is nothing better I feel than the ability to create meaningful interactions with fellow storytellers. Any GM that can facilitate that is a great one in my eyes.

Last edited by Demandredd; May 30th, 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 30th, 2021, 09:34 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 156
Zangul Zangul
Space holder for Paladin oath of the Watchers (Tasha's cauldron)
Old May 30th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Jumil Jumil
I won't have my application done till Monday, sorry for the wait. We still have time but I just wanted to let you know I'm still interested and working on my character.
Old May 30th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1237
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Roland is mostly done. I will fine tune him all the way up to the deadline. Cheers.
Old May 30th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 506
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
@thefeywild: would you allow a Changeling character?
Old May 30th, 2021, 07:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@RossN
I am sticking with Forgotten Realms content for this campaign, so unfortunately no Eberron (as much as I love it)—sorry!

@Jrod
Sounds good. I will go ahead and mark as complete.

Last edited by thefeywild; May 30th, 2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old May 30th, 2021, 09:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeywild View Post
@RossN
I am sticking with Forgotten Realms content for this campaign, so unfortunately no Eberron (as much as I love it)—sorry!
Ah well, worth a shot. I'll see what else I can cook up!
Old May 30th, 2021, 10:49 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15156
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeywild View Post
@Ysolde

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chronurgy Magic is specific to Wildemount/Exandria—is that right? I've seen a little bit of Critical Role, but I'm not super familiar with all of the content. If so, I'm hesitant to allow it as this campaign is in the Forgotten Realms setting. That being said, the School of Evocation is certainly fair game.
Evocation it is then.
Old May 30th, 2021, 11:09 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5703
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr kekyll View Post
@Runetide I know that feeling. That Four From Cormyr game looked interesting, and, mechanically, a fighter/paladin looked fun, but I just couldn't get excited about the character, so I withdrew.
Yeah I totally understand. This game looks great, but I can't get my gears turning for something I want to play.

I *thought* I had a cool Kenku idea, but the race's limitations were just so dang annoying I ended up posting a rant on FB about it instead of trying to build a character... :/
Old May 31st, 2021, 06:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
Please let me know if I'm missing anything
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=88546
right-aligned image

Name: Jarldin Mirrorbreaker

Class: Wizard

Race: Halfling (Stout)

Background: Sage (Wizard's Apprentice)

Appearance: His black hair is short and shaggy and his bangs frame his big brown eyes. He stands at 3'3, and weighs about 42 lbs. What used to be pants have, through unfortunate circumstance, transformed into shorts. He wears a sailing jacket that's too big for him but was a gift from his mentor, and thus will never willingly part with it. He keeps his focus on a chain around his neck, a medallion with a amethyst fastened to it.

Personality: Being sold was kind of impactful and Jarldin still hasn't quite gotten over it. Despite this, he tries to keep a cheery disposition and strives to better the world around him. Devout follower of Tymora. Knows his terrible luck will get him and others into trouble, but continues to strive onwards in spite of it.

Personal History: The Mirrorbreakers are an ancient family line that have fallen on hard times in the past few generations. There's was a thankless job, akin to what would be known as "Sin Eaters" in our world, taking peoples' bad luck by performing the task which earned them their namesake. Jarldin was going to follow in his father's footsteps and inherit the farm, but a traveling wizard spotted him one day and did a scrying. Determining Jarldin to be extremely valuable, the wizard refused to leave without him, and his father eventually agreed to sell him for a modest sum of gold. Unfortunately, the Mirrorbreaker legacy continues to follow him everywhere he goes, which guided his decision to become a diviner like his mentor. In the hopes that he could mitigate some of his 'collateral damage'. Despite this, his terrible luck continues to haunt him as he finds himself signed up for a "field trip" to a very particular destination…

Alignment
Neutral Good

Personality Trait 1
I’m willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.

Personality Trait 2
I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situations.

Ideal 1
Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge. (Neutral)

Ideal 2
Beauty. What is beautiful points us beyond itself toward what is true. (Good)

Bond
I've been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.

Flaw
I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?
My mentor brought me here to rest before we set out to Neverwinter for more study and research.

What do you expect of me as a DM?
A chance for "wiggle room" for expanding on the character build, this character isn't really about material-gain. He's just a small halfling-man in a world that he's trying to make sense of. Where the character goes and what befalls him, I leave that entirely in the DM's hands. He's an innocent halfling, barely an adult who just always finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Jun 6th, 2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: misspelled name, added to 'expectation'
Old May 31st, 2021, 08:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Character Name: Xalitha
Class Wizard (probably future School of Enchantment or School of Illusion)
Race High Elf
Appearance Xalitha is a slender Moon Elf with dark blue-black hair, pale blue eyes and an alabaster complexion. She is tall for an elf, at 5'5" and attractive in a slightly androgynous way. She is young (again for an elf) at 150 years old. Her clothing, when not pulling a con, tends to be tasteful yet comfortable in shades of grey and black. She has a fondness for silver and tends to favour silver earrings, a broach and a nose ring whatever her other outfits. She rarely carries a visible weapon but does usually carry at least one hidden reserve dagger on her person.
Personality Xalitha is sly, vain, greedy, witty and a bit of a flirt. She doesn't seem to take anything seriously except for the promise of gold or the thrill of pulling a con over someone who deserves it. She can and does adopt false personas readily and admires such a skill in others, whether at the theatre or with fellow scoundrels (she has both friends and friendly rivals in the swindling community.) She is proud of her skill with magic, but tends to see it as another skill to bolster her schemes rather than a goal in and of itself.

It is only after partaking much wine or with ancient friends that a heavier, sadder side to her personality shines through and it becomes clear she's not as confident and light hearted as she seems.
Alignment Chaotic Neutral
Background Charlatan (Baldur's Gate)
Personality Trait 1 I keep multiple holy symbols on me and invoke whatever deity might come in useful at any given moment.
Personality Trait 2 I fall in and out of love easily, and am always pursuing someone.
Ideal Independence. I am a free spirit – no one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)
Bond Somewhere out there, I have a child who doesn't know me. I'm making the world better for him or her.
Flaw I can't resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.
Backstory Xalthia has always been drawn to the carefree life of the scoundrel and fascinated by the wider world she first heard about from travelling bards and merchants. The moment she reached adulthood she abandoned both her original homeland and a well respected family for a life among the humans. Indeed she much prefers human (or half-elven or tiefling) company to those of her fellow elves, whom she feels are hopelessly mired in tradition. She has enthusiastically embraced various human concepts and much prefers the hustle and pace of the city to the forests.

Xalthia does have one element that both marks as purely elven and drives her apart from elven culture.

How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate? It was the nearest big city after fleeing Athkatla. Xalthia is a city-bird which a nose for silver and gold and arrived a few years back to settle in and build up a new identity or two.
What do you expect of me as a DM? Excitement, memorable characters, gold, vanquishing evil and the chance to weave together an adventure!
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Jumil Jumil
Wooo! I'm done! I'm sorry my history might be considered a bit long. I do mention a few locations (like The Twin Songs and The Church of The Last Hope. I got most of my information about places and Kelemvor from a wiki page so if I've got anything wrong or if something needs to be adjusted just let me know it will not be an issue. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go!

EDIT: And just a note, I did change some information since the last time I updated my application.

Last edited by Jumil; May 31st, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@L0stTh0ught
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stTh0ught View Post
Please let me know if I'm missing anything
Thanks for the application! Just a few things missing:
Alignment
Personality Trait 1
Personality Trait 2
Ideal
Bond
Flaw
How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?
What do you expect of me as a DM?

@Jumil
I'll mark you as complete!

Last edited by thefeywild; May 31st, 2021 at 10:29 PM.