DnD5e Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 31st, 2021, 11:11 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
JaDeX105 JaDeX105
Hi, so I'm returning after a long time and have a question. You stated the game will have 6 players and I see there's already over 20 players showing interest, will there be multiple groups being run or will it be just 1 group selected out of everyone who's applied?

Last edited by JaDeX105; May 31st, 2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeywild View Post
@L0stTh0ught

Thanks for the application! Just a few things missing:
Alignment
Personality Trait 1
Personality Trait 2
Ideal
Bond
Flaw
How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?
What do you expect of me as a DM?

!
Ok, got it sorted

EDIT: added a char sheet link at the top

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Jun 1st, 2021 at 01:13 AM. Reason: added info
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 09:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 767
thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild thefeywild
@JaDeX105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaDeX105 View Post
Hi, so I'm returning after a long time and have a question. You stated the game will have 6 players and I see there's already over 20 players showing interest, will there be multiple groups being run or will it be just 1 group selected out of everyone who's applied?
As of now, I plan on running one group. This will be my first game as a DM on RPGX, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by committing to multiple groups right off the bat. That being said, if multiple groups seem manageable at some point in the future, I would certainly be open to that.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 02:24 PM
Fork! Knife! Spoon!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20127
Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom Chrystrom
Application for Consideration
Jacquelyn de la Horta
the Baroness of Nyth and the Lady of Lethyr Forest

"The rich and powerful are simply thieves dressed up in gold and silks.
All I do is steal from the thieves and Well, at least some of it...give it back to their victims."

The Basics

Character Name: aka Jocelyn Marberg, aka Jocelyn the Bard, aka JaclynJacquelyn de la Horta
Class: Bard
Race: Half-Elf (Moon Elf)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Charlatan (possibly Baldur's Gate Charlatan)
Personality Trait 1: Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
Personality Trait 2: I’m a born gambler who can’t resist taking a risk for a potential payoff.
Ideal: Charity. I distribute the money I acquire to the people who really need it. (Good)
Bond: I swindled and ruined a person who didn’t deserve it. I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.
Flaw: I can’t resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.

Appearance:

The perfect Noblewoman Lady de la Horta has alabaster skin - tinged with blue, the black hair - cut to a delicate shoulder length, the sapphire eyes, and the ears with delicate pointed tips, all from her Moon Elf mother. She much more resembles the delicate beauty of her elven mother than the coarse bluntness of her human father. Her human blood shows in the much more curvaceous figure she cuts in a ball gown than any willow thin elf could. She is often seen in the Upper City wearing the traditional dress of her Theskian home.

When she is ‘Off the Job’Jacquelyn, once she removes her make up and wig and drops the persona of Lady de la Horta, appears in the Lower City as Jocelyn the Bard. She has the same alabaster skin, but her hair is now silver and cut to a jaunty chin length and her eyes are now a striking emerald, dusted with fleckings of gold. She dresses in comfortable and serviceable leathers while entertaining the patrons at several local taverns with the elven longhorn or her sultry alto voice while accompanying herself on the yarting.

Personality:

Or is it Personalities?Jacquelyn de la Horta: The Baroness is a proper noble woman, diffident and genteel. Her ready smile has warmed many a man’s heart in the Upper City. While her soft throaty laugh, the flutter of her eyelids, and the shy gentle touches have led many would-be suitors to lustful thoughts.

Jocelyn the Bard: Down in the Lower City, the minstrel known as Jocelyn is passionate, daring, and always ready to gamble. She can take a good insult and give an even better one right back, and all with that charming smile. The only thing that seems to top her love of a good time, is her passion for her music.

Jaclyn: Who is the girl under all the lies and personas? Does she even know anymore? She can be whatever the moment needs her to be… Yet, under there, beneath the subterfuge and deception, there is a core of that young girl who survived the streets of Waterdeep. She still is a born gambler, willing to risk it all if the payoff is big enough. Yet her experiences in Waterdeep have left their scars. Now many of those profits do not end up in Jaclyn’s purse, but are handed out to those most in need. She has seen too much exploitation and victimization of the weak and poor, by those in power. Running through almost everything she does there is a thread of justice, not the justice of the law – for the law is just a tool of the powerful to perpetuate their exploitation of the weak – but the justice of the street. Jaclyn hopes to redeem herself by turning the game of exploitation on those who sit at the top.

Backstory: How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate?
Jacqueline de la Horta's story
Jacquelyn de la Horta, Baroness of Nyth, Lady of Lethyr Forest, and Theskian Ambassador-at-large was born the only child to the Baron of Nyth, in the Easting Reach nation of Thesk. Jacquelyn was trained by her tutors and mother in the gentle arts of a noblewoman; and by her father in the skills and professions of the future inheritor of the barony. She excelled at both. These skills caught the attention of the council of nobles who lead the Theskian nation and Jacqueline was on occasion used by them as a representative to the other nations along the shores of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

At the unexpected death of her father, two and a half years ago, Jacquelyn became the Baroness of Nyth and the Lady of Lethyr Forest. It took several months to settle her household and her lands as the new Baroness, but once this was achieved Jacquelyn was summoned by the Council of Nobles. At this meeting the Council asked for Jacquelyn’s assistance. The nation of Thesk had always been in contact and in trading relationships with the other nations along the Sea of Fallen Stars, but outside of this region they were little known and had no official contact. The Council of Nobles recently had decided to expand both Thesk’s diplomatic relationships and their trading markets. The Council Lord himself asked Jacquelyn’s help with this mission knowing that she was a skilled and able diplomat. Once the young woman agreed to the mission, she was formally commissioned as the Theskian Ambassador-at-large to the nations of Faerun.

In the last two years, Jacquelyn has traveled throughout much of central Faerun. At each court and city, she kept hearing of the glories of the far-off city of Baldur’s Gate. Hearing these tales of the wonders of the city and the wise and open-minded nature of the Baldurian people, Jacquelyn knew that she must go there and open official diplomatic relations with such a mighty and celebrated people.

For several months now, Jacquelyn has been in Baldur’s Gate, enjoying the welcome and entertainment of the Patriar families of the Upper City, and working to open official relations between Baldur’s Gate and Thask.

So you want to know who I really am? Well this is the real gods' honest truth, I swear it.

The truth that Jacquelyn/Jocelyn doesn't tell anyone...even herself these days

The best DMs/GMs I have played with on this site have all seemingly followed the same rule – Story trumps everything or The Rule of Cool. What this has meant for those DMs/GMs is that the system rules are there as a guide to make sure we all don’t go off the rails. The dice add that level of randomness and uncertainty, but, in the end, we are here to work together to tell a great story. So if it will make for a great story, then that is the driving consideration…but not the only consideration, because death scenes also make for great stories – enter the evil dice gods .

So, my hope for you as a DM is to work together with us as players to tell a great story (or to put it the other way around, let us as players work with you to tell that great story). It is not an adversarial relationship, but a cooperative one. You, as the DM, are not our enemy, the dice are (I swear the dice hate me). PbP works best when built on relationships of trust between the DM and the players; and the players and the DM (this doesn't mean, you as the DM, aren't behind the screen pulling strings, planting plot twists, and having general twisted DM fun...I hope you are, because that is just part of the fun for all of us).

+

Last edited by Chrystrom; Jun 9th, 2021 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Polishing up a few things here and there
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 05:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 506
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
@Chrystrom: That's a really cool looking character, even though as someone who also submitted a Moon Elf Charlatan (full elf in her case) I'm seething with jealousy.

(Seriously though Jacquelyn does seem cool and I really like that choice of picture. )
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 10:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Bulwark
@thefeywild: Other than some minor tweaking, Rowan Shaed is complete.

Last edited by Bulwark; Jun 1st, 2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 05:32 PM
Amateur Vivisectionist

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 144
dr kekyll dr kekyll
thefeywild, my application should be done. it's a less involved backstory than i'm used to, but it feels right. he's a young noble and hasn't done anything with his life yet. also, the name changed slightly.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 05:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Bulwark @dr kekyll
Both marked as complete!
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 08:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
ANNOUNCEMENT
Due to what seems like high interest given the number of applications so far, I am changing the application deadline to next Wednesday, June 9. Original post is also updated.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:12 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 954
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Gore Blister
a.k.a. "Th'Boss"
Ogre Barbarian with a "civil" side

Appearance
Gore Blister is close to what you would expect an ogre to look like. Nine feet tall with a thick frame, reinforced by thick chorded muscle, and in some places excess fat. His large frame isnt what sets him apart from other ogres, but rather the multitude of battle wounds found upon his body. Not much of the Ogres peachy skin isnt covered in some form of scar leaving an almost foil like wrinkle across his flesh. His eyes are purely white, void of pupils, or iris, and below that is one of the most horrifying parts of an ogre. A large maw that opens wide enough to fit a human head with some room to spare is lined with large unnerving teeth. Gums black, and coated in a brackish dark saliva only seem to add to his.."allure". The most prominent feature of his face are the upward jutting tusks that grow up from his bottom incisors.

His clothes are a matter of contention for most of his brethren as they are normally fine wearing the skin of whatever victim they just ate, but Gore Blister wears Flaming Fist issued armour and weaponry. His darkly stained studded leathers are kept in good condition, and his level of hygiene; for an ogre, is stunning. (You see him before you smell him!) His maul is large and unruly for most all members of the legion as its not only sized for someone of his stature, but had to be especially commissioned for such an occasion. The large weapon thick and stained dark, both from the crafting process, and what Gore Blister likes to call "Puttin' in Time". The Flaming Fist insignia is carved into the metal bandings on this weapon

Personality
Like most of his kin Gore Blister has a terrible temper, but unlike his kin he has learned how to control it for the better of his clan, and for the better of his ability. Gore Blister is a proud, and abrasive fellow who has lived a life bad enough to justify at least some of his rudeness. It can take him a while to really consider someone a friend, but should you prove yourself useful it tends to grease the hinges so to speak. He isnt much of a thinker in terms of intellectually, but that isnt to say he cant be clever when the need hits him.
Despite being from a race of impulsive, lazy, and savage people Gore Blister does have a soft side that isnt his gut. When it comes to Clan, and kin he is willing to spill his guts in the dirt if it means coming out on top. There isnt much or many that can dissuade him once he has made up his mind, which can be a bit of a problem in situations where people arent used to his specific "leadership style". Ogre culture is not like what most are used to dealing with. It is full of teasing, and physical harassment, and other such things that most races see as brutish and barbaric, but it is through some of these tactics that Gore Blister has tempered some of the finest warriors he has ever met.

Alignment

Chaotic Good
Gore Blister has been reformed as much as an ogre from the sewers of Baldur's Gate can be. He knows the rules, and laws he must follow, but when it comes to his methods they can be blunt, violent, and crude. That is not to say he is not effective, just his regard for those against his mission of good are seen as obstacles that will be removed.

Background

Soldier - Baldur's Gate

Personality Trait 1

Hardy

Personality Trait 2

Uncivilized

Ideal

Strength, and usefulness are how I judge those around me

Bond

Balthazaar - Best friend, and blood brother. Also fellow member of the Flaming Fist

Flaw

Being Challanged will never be turned down, my pride not only as an ogre, but as the th'Boss I have a reputation to uphold.

Backstory

Life in the Realms can be a myriad of different things from the magical lives of the elves, to the deep, and toilsome workings of the dwarfs, you can find all walks. In Baldur's Gate there are just as many opportunities for those that are lowborn as there are for the highborn, and it doesnt get more lowborn than the sewers of Baldur's Gate. You see the Gate has a problem with monsters, and bandits, and worse taking up residents in its vast expansive sewers systems. Tribes of kobolds fight over strange trinkets, colonies of slimes feed of of filth, and debris cast aside from the city above. Goblins, Bugbears, and Hobgoblins also call the sewers their home, and usually in companies that create their own warbands; carving out territory and taking out rivals as a daily going on. Well amidst all the common rabble of "monsters" that are down there, there sometimes come to live an ogre, usually more than one, and thats where we meet Gore Blister.
He hadnt spent his whole life in the Gate, but around it would be an accurate statement. He spent his child years doing typical horrible ogre things like biting he heads off of live stock, and then laughing as it was put down and left to spurt, or run around in some cases. Typical ogre children stuff. When he reached ogre adulthood at the ripe old age of 14 he set out to become the best ogre he could be, and that meant lots of food, and smashing things. Years of that went on before he found his way into the Gate sewers one night following a small shipping boat of livestock. After finding the sewers a nice place to hole up he decided to call it his new home.
Years would pass as he lived, and kept his lair in the depths of the sewers before he would meet both his best friend, and the Flaming Fist. After weeks of conflict with gangs, and "bounty hunters" and "adventurers" Gore Blister had enough, and gathered his kin, and a few of the nearby gangs that were on good terms, and made a stand to defend their home. One of these gangs leaders was a bugbear by the name of Bloodclaw Dirgefang later renamed Balthazaar. It was after this large conflict that the bugbear joined the Flaming Fist, due to situations that arose during the battle, but Gore Blister saw it as a weakness; siding with those that hunt you, and becoming one of them. What a waste of a good leader.
Months would pass, and Gore Blister began to see Balthazaar down in the sewers more often, doing patrols, and generally keeping things running smoothly between the upper and lower worlds. It was around this time that public offices were holding elections for certain positions, and tensions were high about certain problems Baldur's Gate had been facing; one of course being the infestation of monsters below the city. The more heated the topic got the more brutal murders were seen in the streets at night, all done by monstrous means. Blame was soon indefinitely put on the monsters in the sewers, and strike teams, and mercenary troops were soon rounded to clean the sewers.
Balthazaar was very concerned about this, not because that was his home, and where he became who he was, but the evidence didnt point to anything, or anyone in the sewers at all. Quickly the bugbears began to take after leads, and follow traces, until it brought him to the sewers themselves, deeper, and deeper.
When finally he stopped the sight was almost unbelievable, for before him lay a fresh graveyard of ogre bodies, and amidst them humanoids, human, and elf alike, but the wounds on the orges bodies were rakes of claws, and indentation of teeth. Finally the loud audible sound of a pop and a squelch filled the room before the hulking lumbering shadow filled the space the noise was coming from.
There standing only out of sheer machismo was an ogre; bloodied, cut, stabbed, bitten, and bruised. In one arm the brute cradled some of his guts pouring out of a large laceration in his surprisingly rotund stomach, the other the now headless body of a slowly transforming human, its body losing fur, and muscle mass as the ogres steps forward, breaths heavy. More crunching can be heard as the Ogre stares at the bugbear through crimson tinted eyes, before spitting out a large piece of the creatures skull. "Come to finish it den?" rumbled a gravelly voice. "Wolves come tuh kill me an' mine, whots anuver bugbear on th' pile" He growls as he lurches forward before losing consciousness. A noble in the city who was a werewolf had decided to make false claims that monsters were coming up from the sewers, and murdering people, and because of the bugbears actions he saved Gore Blister, which also had a lasting effect on the ogre.
After recovering; courtesy of the Flaming Fist, Gore Blister returned to the sewers where Balthazaar would check up on him, and they would work on keeping both of the two worlds of Baldurs Gate as far apart as they could. Though he had lost a lot of his former mass, and strength due to the lengthy healing process Gore Blister took his new position very seriously, even allowing his name to be changed, but only if it showed off his new status. So he adopted the moniker of "Boss" as thats what most of his underlings called him. While he worked on keeping things running as smoothly as he could from a "supervisory" standpoint he worked on getting his ogre body back to the way it was, but this time he would adapt the same ideals that Balthazaar had used, to not only become stronger for himself, but for those in the Gate, and those in the Flaming Fist that doubt him.

Gore Blister has lived near Baldur's Gate his whole life, but has only spent maybe the last 20 years in Baldur's Gate. Once an ogre chief, now Th'Boss in matters between the sewers, and the city.

Have fun with it, and dont disappear out of the blue

Natural 20's:13
Natural 1's: 2

Last edited by IrishKatt; Jun 9th, 2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2579
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
right-aligned image

Name: Dr. Philippe Brighton
Race: Variant Human
Class: Artificer/Alchemist
Alignment: LN

Background: Baldur’s Gate Hermit
Personality traits: I tend to document important events, interactions, and creatures I encounter.
Most doctors practice in the rear camps. Me? I honed my skills on the front line.
Ideal: Progress- To survive we must always grow.
Bond: The implements and tools of my trade hold immeasurable value to me and in their own right.
Flaw: There’s no reason NOT to cut deeper! Perhaps just one more incision will bring to light something new!
Specialization: My work seeks to find a path to immortality more reliable than that of necromancers.
Trauma: His partaking of the forbidden concoction known as the Hunter’s Bane caused his mind, body, and soul to feel as though it was being ripped apart, sewn together, and ripped apart again for days on end. His mind never fully recovered, constantly hearing the captured vampire’s words laughing maniacally in his sleep.
Fear: His greatest fear is that he will one day become a creature of the undead, the thing he despises most and an insult to his research.
Trinket: A small vial of vampire blood that hangs from a necklace under his lab coat.

Physical Description: Dr. Brighton carries himself with a quiet dignity that you would expect of an accomplished doctor. His plain floor length lab coat is pristine and buttoned up with a flap over his chest to the right. Brown leather pants have several small pockets for holding small scalpels and other medical instruments. His gloves are a tight fitting thin green cloth. Why green you ask? He just likes how the red blood looks on a green background. It’s an odd preference, but red and black comes off a little too morbid. His black boots are mud stained as if he has been digging or trampling around in the mud. His hair is not quite shoulder length and has turned white from one of his experiments on himself. His face is slightly pale as if he doesn’t get out in the sun very often, but not unpleasant to look at. His expression is usually placid or with a slight tinge of scientific curiosity. Many are often uneasy when he smiles...especially when he’s staring right at them.

Personality: The “Good Doctor” has a pleasant bed side manner when dealing with his patients. His past traveling companions find him very focused when he finds something that interests him. His views on death and life are very matter of fact and sometimes apathetic. “Everybody dies at some point. If they don’t then I must meet them.” His discussions are usually more fact based and inquisitive as he searches for the truth in most situations. He never acts out of emotion or brashness. He is a team player when it comes to completing a task as he views order and efficiency vital to doing something right the first time.

Character Bio: Dr. Brighton is a man obsessed with finding a perfect version of everlasting life after he witnessed half of his village being slaughtered by a group of vampires before they were eventually staked and beheaded by the remaining villagers. Before the last one was killed, Philippe had snuck into the jail where it was being held and talked to it. He was curious as to how old it was and why it had to survive by the blood of others. “It’s all about the blood. Blood is life. We can not produce our own thus we must take it from others. It is like you mortals going without food. It may be ok for a few days, but the longer you go without eating the more desperate you become. The more feral and cruel you are willing to be to eat. We are not so different. I am simply capable of outliving your meager existence. Once moment you are here, the next you’re gone with little to show for it. Life without immortality is simply one circling the drain.”The boy looked at it with curiosity. “May I have some of your blood Mr. Vampire sir? I don’t think you will be needing it much longer.” He poured out the liquid in his water skin and offered it to the captive. It chuckled at the strange request. “As you wish little darkling.”

Philippe’s mind was rocked by this morbid epiphany. What was the point of life if it was to end too soon? Sure there were others ways of staving off death: necromancy, vampirism, becoming a lich, rising to become a deity, and other bizarre methods. All of which were flawed in one way or another. Each had to give something up in return to exist a little bit longer. If the key was the blood, perhaps there was a way to enhance the body and blood to make them rejuvenate forever. Thus he went down the road of medicine and darker practices. Through a combination of ritual and mixing of the vampire blood with other Alchemical substances, he created the Hunter’s Bane. It was an elixir that would enhance his blood and body to hunt down other vampires and creatures of the undead. He needed more blood and parts for his experiments if he was going to succeed at his goal of perfect immortality unrestrained by undeath or disease of the mind, soul, or body.

Over the years, Dr. Brighton had moved his lab to Baldur’s Gate. It had a large enough population to supply him with regular work and dead bodies to experiment on. It had become almost rote for him to slip into the graveyard at night, slip the night watch some gold and wheel a body back to his lab in the basement of the house. When the graveyards started to dry up, he would request cadavers as payment in exchange for medical treatment. The Good Doctor was one of a ‘Don’t ask don’t tell’ mindset as to who the cadavers were or their cause of death. They were already dead. He was just doing a public service of making sure they stayed that way while continuing his research that would ultimately benefit the world. Years of careful study was yielding fruit. Certain body parts could be used in Alchemical unguents to enhance the body, but he hadn’t quite mastered how to do so without side effects. He just kept telling himself it was all a matter of time before he made his big breakthrough. One day, he heard about some ghouls terrorizing a village several miles away. He immediately left to go check it out. Ghoul saliva was said to have paralytic properties that he could use to sedate patients that might have to go under the knife for one reason or another. It was better than having someone have to bear the full pain during an operation. The rumor turned out to just be wild animals much to his disappointment. He found a message under his door upon his return home. He read it and neatly folded it upon the table. ”Interesting...”

Roleplay Sample:
The Good Doctor stood back to back with a priest of Torm fighting off a squad of zombies that had risen from the grave. The necromancer that had summoned them was the first to fall as Dr. Brighton used stealth and his knowledge of human anatomy to precisely pierce the heart of the corrupt Wizard from behind. The horde of undead were now no longer under anyone’s control and swarming the pair. As bolt and radiant light battered away the creatures, Philippe pinned one zombie with a bolt through each hand to the ground and took a moment to watch the thing struggle and analyzed its reaction to pain and if there was any kind of sentience behind its eyes or that of a mindless beast. The beast’s pierced palms pushed up the bolt to its prey. “You are imperfect. I pity you. Such shoddy work indeed.” He put it out of its misery with a gentle squeeze of the trigger.

”Are you done sightseeing yet!?” The priest just shook his head in amazement at how cool and collected the doctor was in the face of such abomination. How is he not horrified at all this? Torm’s servant knocked one of the zombies on its back with his shield then smashed its skull with his mace. Rotten brains and pieces of skull splattered all over his face. He looked back over his shoulder to see Dr. Brighton had kicked the stopping blocks out from under a cart to pin the last of the monstrosities against a well. The priest ran over to it with mace held high only to be stopped by Philippe grabbing his hand. ”It is confined. There is no need to dispatch it so quickly when it is utterly at our mercy.” The priest pulled his hand away and pointed at the zombie. ”THAT is an abomination of life and you want to spare it? Whose side are you on?”

The doctor moved nonchalantly over to get a closer look at his specimen. It snapped it teeth within inches of the man’s face. He looked at its body and face for the cause of its initial death. A slit that traced around the front of its throat seemed to be the culprit. It was too jagged to be a professional which meant it was self inflicted. ”I have no intention of sparing it. I despise this creature as well, for different reasons but still. How does the saying go? Knowledge is power. How do you yourself know how to best combat these things if those before you had not researched how to do so? I am simply collecting every scrap of information I can while I have the opportunity to do so. You are more than welcome to have a copy of my research for your order if you want.

The priest huffed and began pulling the horde into a pile, pouring holy water on them, and setting a controlled blaze. He sat down and stared into the fire. He didn’t look over his shoulder as he relayed his thoughts to the man who had come to his aid. ”No thank you. Knowledge this dark does not come without a price. I have no authority over you, but I will encourage you to stop this delve into the dark unknown before it swallows you up. Somethings are just not worth it.” Philippe turned away and gently pulled back part of his lab coat away from his chest to look at the dark purple outline of his heart pulsating with an eerie glow just beneath the skin. A sad whisper escaped his lips. ”Its too late to stop now...”

How did you come to be in Baldur’s Gate?: He needed a larger pool of cadavers to practice on and people desperate enough for his medical services.
What do you expect of me as a DM?: Open-mindedness to alternative solutions to problems and engaging NPCs

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; Jun 6th, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 07:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Hiruma Kohaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
Class: Blood Hunter/Order of the Mutant (class available for viewing on D&D Beyond), can rework into an Artificer/Alchemist if Bloodhunter class isn’t allowed
I had someone else ask about Critical Role content, and I'm not allowing it in this campaign—only Forgotten Realms. Artificer is fair game, though!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 11:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2579
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeywild View Post
@Hiruma Kohaku

I had someone else ask about Critical Role content, and I'm not allowing it in this campaign—only Forgotten Realms. Artificer is fair game, though!
Changed class to Artificer/Alchemist on app.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; Jun 6th, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Ryanfromstatefarm
Application

Irene Windsor

Class Fighter

Race Human

Appearance Standing at five foot nine. Long, dark hair down to the middle of her back. Irene has fairly dark skin and bright hazel and green eyes. Irene wields two short swords hidden beneath her long coat. Irene is fairly muscular compared to other women.

Personality Irene is very quiet. Doesn't speak unless spoken too and is a team player when it is necessary. Some citizens deemed her a mute at a young age.

Alignment Chaotic Neutral

Backstory Irene and Gale Windsor. Born to parents Gaston and Iris Windsor in the Lower City of Baldurs Gate, were twins destined for greatness. Never has their ever been human twins born to Lower City couples. Irene and Gale were inseperable. If Iris or Gaston tried to separate them, they both would cry out for one another until they were brought back together. The bond Gale and Irene had was impeccable. Considered dangerously dirty, and unlivable, Gaston and Iris simply survived. Gaston selling fish he caught when he visited the docks and Iris making ends meet at a local Inn and Tavern. They did what you would call the bare minimum in a bare minimum part of the city to make it for their twins. At the age of understanding, Iris taught both Gale and Irene about responsibility, faith, money, politics and people. The night before their 10th year of age, Gaston, returning from a fishing trip, came home stumbling. At the entrance to their home, Gaston belted, "Open the door you wench!!!" Iris, not wanting any problems, quickly opened the door. Immediately trying to help Gaston in through the door, Iris grabbed him by the arm to hold him up, and in return, Gaston grabbed her by the neck, choking Iris until she was unconscious. To be continued

Personality Trait 1 I think anyone who is nice to me has evil intent.
Personality Trait 2 Quiet as it's kept, I enjoy being around people.

Ideal Aspiration. I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.

BOND No one else should have to endure the hardships I've been through.

FLAW I put my trust in no one but my brother and myself.

BACKGROUND BALDURS GATE URCHIN

I was born in the Lower City of Baldurs Gate.

Im just happy to be able to submit an application. But including backstory from each party member makes it way more interesting.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
calandris calandris
Application
Character Name: Mindartis Hornraven
Class: Sorcerer (Psionic Soul)
Race: Githzerai
Appearance: Standing at 5'7, slender but not too thin, and wearing traveler's cloths, Mindartis would easily blend into a crowd were he a human or elf. Instead, his yellow skin, stark black hair tied into a ponytail, and piercing green eyes usually made him stand out despite his average stature. Though he carries very few weapons, there is an air about him that generally puts people ill at ease when near him.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Baldur's Gate Hermit
Personality Trait 1: I’m oblivious to etiquette and social expectations.
Personality Trait 2: I connect everything that happens to me to a grand, cosmic plan.
Ideal: Self-Knowledge. If you know yourself, there’s nothing left to know. (Any)
Bond: Nothing is more important than the other members of my hermitage, order, or association.
Flaw: I’d risk too much to uncover a lost bit of knowledge.
Backstory: Life as a slave isn't a hard life, assuming you follow the rules, do what you're told when you're told, and don't ask questions. Mindartis learned that early...and had a hard life because of it. He was always inquisitive - he always wanted to know the who and what and how. Not for gossip's sake, but purely for knowledge's sake. Desplite the lashes, or the starvation, or any of the other forms of torture he was subjected to by the Illithid, he kept asking questions. The only torture he couldn't stand was when they removed knowledge, but that just made him ask more questions. His inquisitive nature was fueled in part by his innate magical ability. Those around him either had to study for hours on end, reading books, trying to memorize words and movement (boring!), or they were able to perform feats with just their mind. Mindartis was different, though. He could feel the magic, manipulate it, bend it, without the need of books, but he was always jealous of the illithid and their psychic abilities. While he didn't need to study to use his magic, he learned to quell his inquisitive nature so as to avoid time being "corrected" by his masters, but could steal away time to study their ways. Every time he thought he might have an answer, he was met with just more questions. One day, he ended up finding a book about a war from ages ago, between illithid clans. Catching him with this book, his master was very angry. It unleashed a wave of psychic energy at Mindartis, but something went wrong. As the blast hit Mindartis, everything went white as his mind seared for what felt like days. When the pain subsided, he realized that there was something different about his magic. He couldn't quite tell what it was or control it, but his brain was still tingling. He looked around and noticed that his master was unconscious on the floor, the backlash from whatever happened knocking him out. Taking his chance, possibly his only one, he ran, sticking to the shadows when possible, and escaping to the surface.
How did you come to be in Baldur's Gate? After escaping from the illithid, Mindartis knew he would have to find someplace busy to have even a chance of finding solace for anthing more than a few hours. He travelled to the nearest city, which happened to be Baldur's Gate, where he stayed to himself so that nobody, even subconsciously, could lead the illithid to him.
What do you expect of me as a DM? An engaging storytelling experience that allows for all of the players to be part of the scenes. Posting somewhat regularly so that we know about what to expect. And not to disappear on us!