Other Monster of the Week: Hidden in the Burrow - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 30th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 639
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Monster of the Week: Hidden in the Burrow

Game NameMonster of the Week: Hidden in the Burrow
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeSmall group trying to protect their home.
FlavourIn the same vein as Supernatural.
Plot SummaryIt aint no secret that weird stuff happens in New York, and that goes double for Queens. Everyone knows it but not everyone knows just how utterly bizarre things can get. Hell, not even all the residents of the borough. It's the most diverse city in the world, people from all over this big blue ball find their way here, and so do other things.

Let's just say some of those ‘other things’ are quite nasty.

Sure if your careful, and you mind your own business, you’ll probably be okay. Though that’s only because there are so many people here, the chances of you being the mark or meal are pretty slim if you keep your head down and your guard up. But that don’t really solve the problem, does it? There’s plenty of stupid people out there, and plenty vulnerable by no fault of their own. Dumb tourists and foreigners go missing and it's barely news, a dead bum's lucky to even make the obituaries. It happens, a lot. The spooky hoo-ha out there will keep on killing, and hunting, and who knows what else until someone deals with it.

Will you deal with it?

Game info
This is a game in the vein of Apocalypse World, every roll is 2d6, 10 is a success, 7-9 is a mixed success, and you'll rarely add more than 2 or 3 to a roll. The mechanics are light, the storybuilding is highly collaborative, and a great deal of it is made up as you go. The basic outline of the game is as follows. There are monsters, and your players deal with them, literally all the other details are filled in by you. You could be mages of a shadowy coven, fbi agents, or the chosen hero from some prophesy; and that's just the more dramatic options. Take a look at the playbook and pick two roles that look interesting to you.

https://www.evilhat.com/home/monster...eek-resources/

Posting Rate
I'd like at least 2 good posts a week, more if you just need to make a roll or drop a single sentence.

Players
I'm looking for 2-4 players who will work well together. If you want to join the game, please give me two potential characters, as said above don't feel the need to make up everything about them now. Really I just need a name, a couple sentences of background, a couple sentences of personality, and their first supernatural encounter. Feel free to say they've had none so far, as the first session will be able to hook them into the world, so to speak.

I'd also like your opinion on if you want to play this 'defender of the borough' setting, or if you have an idea for a different setting/style/flavor. We could even play a setting where monsters and such are public, common knowledge, a real urban fantasy world, its up to you!

Last edited by Garrettq; Jun 1st, 2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old May 30th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Black Lives Matter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2543
slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick slapstick
Great to see more PbtA on here. Looking at the Spooky and the Divine, though all of MotW playbooks are fun so it's hard to choose. I love the idea of a street-level, neighborhood-protector game. Destroy the gentrifying vampires! Edit: Going with the Mundane and Monstrous, final answer!

The Mundane
right-aligned image
Created with https://picrew.me/image_maker/287392
Malena "Honey" Torres

First Encounter: Vampire Ex-Girlfriend

Personality: True to her nickname, Honey is sweet. At least, she's what people consider sweet: kind, but also nave and easy to push around. For most of her life, Honey chose the path of least resistance. Laugh when the other kids tease you, make your parents and teachers happy, don't stand up for yourself. Since her eyes were opened to the creatures of the night, she's not as easy to push around, but the kindness is still there. Honey's the one who brings snacks to the hunt and comforts her friends when their last silver bullet flies wide of the werewolf.

Background: Nothing exciting ever happened to Honey. She commuted an hour each way to her underpaid customer service job, ate the same microwaved lunch, then came home and fell on the futon to watch crime procedurals with her cat. On weekends she'd visit her abuela, read a trashy romance novel, or play a round of pub trivia with some friends. That was where she met Thora. Honey fell hard for the mysterious and beautiful woman, and soon she was up all night at the hottest clubs, drinking and partying, trying to keep up with her. When Thora told Honey to invite her friends to an exclusive party, Honey assumed they were finally getting serious.

Of course, once Thora and her fellow vampires drained her old college roommate, Honey realized the woman wanted Honey for her main course, not her main squeeze. She managed to escape, staking a vampire on the way out with a broken broom. Sure, the red flags sound obvious in retrospect, but plenty of women from Manhattan never sleep, wear all black, and refuse to eat. Now that Honey knows horrible monsters lurk behind every corner, she can't just veg out in her comfy leggings. Instead, she hits the streets with her fellow hunters in her monster-fighting jeggings.

The Monstrous
left-aligned image
Created with https://picrew.me/image_maker/684058
Angel Tsiang

First Encounter: That A**hole Bit Me!

Personality: Angel is a born and bred Queens girl. She bleeds Mets blue and orange. She'll pummel any jerk who tells her parents to speak better English. She's tough, loud, and loves to laugh. Her fierce loyalty—to her friends, her neighborhood, her family—gets her into trouble, and she doesn't know the meaning of the word 'quit'. The bite, and the resulting partial transformation, exacerbated some less savory personality traits. She's quick to anger, impatient, and prefers her meat rare.

Background: After high school, Angel worked two jobs while studying for her cosmetology exam. Being on the go felt natural, and she embraced the hustle. Weeks went by in a blur, actions on auto-pilot. Then, while delivering food for her aunt's restaurant, she heard a scream from an alley and stopped her bike to investigate. Some punk mugger might've been scared off by her profanity-laced tirade. But this was no mugger: it was one messed-up looking dog dude, and he was pissed. She ran him off, but he took a chunk of her shoulder with him, along with Mrs. DeMarco's beef chow mein.

Uninsured, Angel took some Tylenol and slapped on some gauze, then went back to work. After a couple days, she started to feel bad. Real bad. Turned out she had the kind of infection that gives you fangs and claws. Angel doesn't remember a lot about those first few transformations, but she knows she acted real ugly. Despite her bloody and obvious trail, the hunter who found her took pity. Instead of filling her with silver, they helped her get control. Lucky for her, and unlucky for those freaks she's gonna put through the wall. Nobody messes with her neighborhood.

Last edited by slapstick; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old May 30th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Something like that, lol.
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:16 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I’ve never played any PbtA systems, but I always loved the simplicity and attention to storytelling I’m told they offer. I’d love a shot at this if you’re open to a newbie!

I’ll throw up my first concept to get a placeholder in, and then add a second when I have time to think of one.

Last edited by Touketsu; May 31st, 2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 10:27 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Artyom Orlov
right-aligned image
Name: Artyom Orlov
Playbook: The Expert
Personality:

Background:

First Encounter:

Last edited by Touketsu; Jun 2nd, 2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 03:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright we got two players, so we got a game. Though I'm gonna give it at least a few more days to wait if anyone else wants to join.
Old May 31st, 2021, 06:53 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22736
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
I also vote for a 'neighborhood heroes' style romp for this one.

So I opted for the Initiate or the Professional here. The idea of having to answer to a greater authority and the potential tensions that could arise from that intrigue me. One is fresh-faced and untested, the other experienced and haunted. Both sound fun to play.

The Initiate
right-aligned image
Inspiration Image
Frankie Demetriou
Third Circle Novitiate of the Asperion Order

Frankie never quite fit in, and actively worked toward that goal, which made growing up with a traditionalist family in Greece a real treat. Teenage rebellion grew into a transgressive compulsion to always defy social norms. While this earned them few friends in high school, it caught the eye of some members of the Asterion Order while they were at university studying an ever-broadening list of subjects. The group had roots in the hellenic era and they stood as a bulwark against the depredations of monsters who hide behind the status quo. Ancient rites, archaic combat styles and a close-knit sense of community kept their interest and in a few years of studying at their feet, Frankie was finally granted an mission from the order's oracles. Trouble had befallen friends and family of the order's members in America. Where better to prove themself than New York City?

Frankie is brash, outspoken and brimming with energy. In their more manic moments, they can recite passages from classical manuscripts in four languages. The act of seeking out and unraveling the schemes of monsters is the only tried-and-true method of leveling them out, which leads them to focus on that work at the expense of social or leisure time. Quick to adopt a cause, they care deeply but lose interest quickly when faced with something new and untested.

Being accepted into the Asterion Order was a crowning moment for Frankie. Acceptance and the power to make real change in one complete package. The Order has provided them with cursory knowledge about the supernatural world but the majority of their understanding is theoretical, having only worked in a support capacity on prior missions.

The Professional
left-aligned image
Inspiration Image
Jose Luis Montoya
Senior Operative for Weyland Paranormal Intervention, On Leave

Jose was born in Queens and grew up in the Elmhurst neighborhood. His parents were second-generation Mexican-American and worked tirelessly at their restaurant, so he and his brother did a lot to raise their baby sister Lucia. His brother, Raul, wound up following friends down a road of crime and addiction and watching that unfold pushed Jose in a different direction, first the marines and later the private monster-hunting industry. Weyland Paranormal Intervention hired him after his third tour and his first encounter with the supernatural, bolstering the discipline and resolve he developed in the service with specialized tactics for eliminating monstrous threats. But nobody stays on top forever and a recent assignment went bad fast, leaving bodies in its wake. The company's recommendation that he 'take some time to reflect' saw him back home to reconnect with family. Too bad the monsters don't take a vacation.

Jose is a professional, trained to follow orders and finish the job. He's taken beatings in his time, both physical and emotional, and his length of service has jaded him to the darker nature of the work. While he can be level-headed in a crisis he quickly loses his cool when faced with the powerful wielding their power against the powerless. The recent losses tied to his last assignment have filled his heart with doubts about his own capabilities, a true liability for a professional monster hunter. He has hope that time among family will remind him of what he's doing all this for, despite the tensions that strain those relationships.

Jose's squad heard whispered rumors about a djinn in the desert north of Shindand but seeing it with his own eyes completely changed his life. Half the squad fell beneath the wind that whipped sand like razors and froze their breath in their lungs. Those that survived quickly developed coping mechanisms that guarded their minds from the truth, but Jose was approached by WPI and shown evidence of the world's darker truths. He takes rumors of monsters very seriously these days.

Coming June 2021 - Blades in the Dark: Biting the Bullet (Interested? PMs Open)

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Jun 1st, 2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 07:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
bookworm bookworm bookworm bookworm bookworm
I'm interested! I like the idea of sticking around and defending one community. I agree with everyone else that all the playbooks are really interesting. I'm feeling most drawn to The Flake and The Wronged for this so I'll update this with some more details on those characters over the next day or so.
Old May 31st, 2021, 08:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11009
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Ennio RussiName Ennio Rossi

Playbook: The Crooked

Background: Burglar

Moves:Made, Home Ground

Gear: .22 Revolver, Baseball Bat, Assault Rifle

Heat:Ethan Foster- Police detective who has made it his goal to put me away. Suspects me for a series of break ins, but can never get enough evidence to make the charges stick.

Hudson Fraiser: A wizard whos house I broke into. Took a few knick knacks to sell and the old man knows.

Underworld: Witch- Hired me to break into Hudson's house for a few of her old knick-knacks. Pay was too good to pass up at the time, but if I knew the truth I wouldn't have gone.

Looks: Man, Hard Eyes, Tailored Suit, Fedora, and gold rolex on the left arm. Signet ring on left hand a two gold rings on the right.

Ratings: Charm -1, Cool +1, Sharp +1, Tough +2, Weird+0

DM Requested-Background Ennio is a semi-retired crook from the Ruffani Mafai. As a kid, he feel in with the local thugs and before long starting to follow them on missions. Smaller than them, he was perfect to slip in through windows the others were too smaller and it was here he first honed his skills. He was luckier than most and never got pinched during one of the heist. He slowly worked his way up the ranks before becoming a made man. He started to teach others his skills ands still does special jobs for the boss. It was on one of those that he got his first taste of hte supernatural. An old woman had approached the gang about getting some of her old trinkets back from an ex-lover. For the money she offered, the boss sent Ennio on the mission and it was here he learned of the underworld. He wished he had never gotten involved, but as they say, once you are in, you are in for life.

Personality: Growing up with streetwise thugs and toughs, Ennio would never be called a people person. He is a thinker, studying everyone and everything, wondering who the next mark or target is. Where the nearest exit is going to be. Still, when things get tough, you couldn't ask for anyone else in your corner when things got tough. Having always been a man to protect what is his, finding out about the supernatural just changed it from another thug on the corner to the vampire on the roof.

First Encounter: Ennio slowly snubbed out the cigarette in his ash tray well staring over at the depilated house. He wasn't even sure he wanted to go in. The whole place looked like it was going to fall down if he shifted a single piece of it. Weird to think that the mark was here. Still, the boss had sent him on a job and the pay was enough to keep him living for the next year off the payout. Climbing out of the car, he slowly leaves his hat in the car. Reaching into the glove box, he pulls on the thick leather gloves and the dark mask over his face. Slowly walking across the street, he checked both ways before jumping the fence. Sliding up to the window, he pulls the thin bar out and flicks the lock over. Shimming the window loose, he slowly slides it up before looking around.

The room was exactly as she described. Well almost exactly. Weird mutated creatures in jars decorated every bookshelf and a creepy wooden puppet was sitting on top a shelf. But no one was there as promised. Climbing through, he slowly started to sneak across the room. As he stepped on a creaky board he froze and looked around. He suddenly noticed the puppet was gone. Freezing, he slowly reached into his waistband and pulled out his pistol. Sliding it back, he scanned the room... There it was on the floor. Staring at the crumpled body for a good 30 seconds, he shook his head.

Just the place getting to him. Come on Ennio. Focus. Continuing the slide across the room, he slowly looks over the desk. Rifling through the bags on the top, he quickly finds the bag of crystals the lady wanted. Jiggling open the doors, he heard something knock under the desk. Looking under the dead puppet eyes stared at him and he couldn't help himself letting out a small yell. Flipping around, the puppet was gone off the floor.

No way that moved on its own. No way. Shaking his head he knew he needed to get out of here. Ignoring all his years of practice, he started to slam open the desks and looking for the necklace the lady wanted. Hearing breaking glass from whatever was inside slammed around, he finally found it in the bottom desk draw. Sliding it in his pocket, he spun around and saw the wizard. There was no other way to describe him. Tall, thin, long scraggily beard down to his waist. Cape, robes, and a pointed hat. Either the man was make-believe or the woman was right. Pointing the gun at him, he was a little surprised the man didn't flinch. Most civilians did when you pulled a pistol on them. No he just smiled. Smiled and smiled.

Freaking out even more, Ennio dropped his voice and slowly started to swing around the shelves. "Listen old man. I don't want to kill you but I am leaving. Don't be stupid and all this is is a bad robbery. "

The man never moved. Just kept smiling. It was than he saw the puppet crawling from the desk, a smile that wasn't there pasted across its face too. Another started to push open the door, smiling and smiling. Having enough, Ennio turned and ran for the window. The man never moved as far as he could tell, but he didn't stay and check. Fleeing in his car, he panicked the whole way. Dumping the goods at the ladies house, he drunk himself stupid that night.

More to come but I like the idea of defending the hood against things that go bump in the night. I have been GMing one of these games for the past 10 months and it will be fun to be a player instead.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; Jun 1st, 2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 400
Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen Dunderklumpen
It's great to see more Pbta games happening. I don't have time to play in this one, but good luck with it to all.
Old May 31st, 2021, 09:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wooh, more interest than I expected, always a good thing.

Last edited by Garrettq; May 31st, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 12:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
Concept 1
right-aligned image
Name: Malthus Thomas Cumberbatch
Playbook: The Spell Slinger
Personality:

Background:

First Encounter:

Concept 2
right-aligned image
Name: Rml
Playbook: Monstrous
Personality:

Background:

First Encounter:

Last edited by Shula; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 12:04 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Goddanm, I feel bad asking people to make two concepts seeing how much work you all put into them. I wasn't joking when I said I just needed a sentence or two, lol. Still, great work everyone, since we have more than enough players to start a game I'm just gonna give it until this weekend and then pick out a few.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 12:37 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Motjaba Motjaba Motjaba
Definite Interest

Going to go short with these, but love story telling and loved reading the above characters.

The Spooky
left-aligned image
Dominique
Name Dominique LaRose
Background Dominique's parents are too rich to care for her in anyway other than money. They both prayed for a special girl and she was born that and so much more. Their money is the only thing that has kept her out of trouble, and luckily they don't care much about what she does. She is supposed to be a senior in a posh New York private school but Dominique hasn't been to class in months. She has a scooter she likes to ride around and check out the city on.
Personality Dominique is strong willed and moody. She is incredibly loyal to those who care for her, as her parents did not. She has a dark side which constantly fights to control her. She can be full of rage and violence and begins to see things when she loses control to this side.
First Encounter She is her own first encounter. She has seen things before they happen, and the dreams are almost never wrong.

I never understood why they say, "Time is money." One is much more precious than the other.

The Mundane
right-aligned image
Bill
Name William Fog
Background Bill was a regular transit worker in the subways of NY which meant he's seen just about everything the city has to offer. With no special skills Bill has used what his 52 years on this earth have taught him. Surround yourself with good people, be there when they need you and hopefully they'll be there when you need them. Bill has never been married and tends to collect young folk who want someone to look up to. He works as a tunnel maintenance technician but has reduced hours and duties due to his traumatic experience.
Personality Bill is kind and approachable. He listens incredibly well and has "Big Dad Energy". He would never leave a man behind, and his biggest regret is not being able to help his friend and coworker Felix.
First Encounter Nine months ago Bill and Felix were working in a tunnel when Felix screamed for help. Something unhuman had dropped from the ceiling and began to devour Felix. Bill tried to attack the creature with every tool from his belt. It happened that a misinformed train came hurdling down the supposed to be unused track. When the light of the train hit the monster it retreated and Bill pulled Felix to safety. Unfortunately Felix passed away from blood loss before paramedics reached the scene.

You don't have to be righteous, just sincere.

Last edited by Motjaba; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 06:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 885
Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula Shula
I vote for Jose Luis Montoya just because of the picture.

"Hey tio, are they punking me? "