Other Monster of the Week: Hidden in the Burrow - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 1st, 2021, 07:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11009
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
Going to stick with just the one character for my application. None of the other playbooks are calling to me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 02:44 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymconeshot View Post
Going to stick with just the one character for my application. None of the other playbooks are calling to me.
Same, honestly. I saw a few interesting playbooks, but the other ones I might have wanted to explore already have great applications from other people, and Id rather leave it to them and bet on my one, decently-developed horse, ha ha.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 10:40 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 639
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Yeah that's fine, the request was because I expected less interest and I wanted to be able to build a group that meshed well together.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 11:39 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Motjaba Motjaba Motjaba
All the playbooks seem cool and it's neat to see all the characters that come out of them. This is one I'll be following whether I'm playing or just enjoying the story!
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 12:59 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5425
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
We've actually developed a fairly nice little collection of PbtA players here at the crossing (Being RP heavy and rules light certainly seems to help). Most games for the system get a fair number of takers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 02:04 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22736
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shula View Post
I vote for Jose Luis Montoya just because of the picture.

"Hey tio, are they punking me? "

Very excited to see how this game comes together. Monster of the Week doesn't get as much attention as it should.

Coming June 2021 - Blades in the Dark: Biting the Bullet (Interested? PMs Open)
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:25 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Great news, the game is approved, so if there's no more interest by the end of the day I thnk I'll make my selection and we can start the pre-game prep!
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16567
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Hope I'm not too late to the party! Full disclosure, I've never played this system before, but it seems great for the genre. I'm excited to try it out and definitely 'Defender of Queens' is perfect for me.
The Spooky
left-aligned image
Robert Napolitano
It seems old-fashioned, but the youngest Napolitano boy always went into the church. It's just the way it was going back generations to the old country. So Bobby knew from a young age that that was his path in life. Something like that takes a lot of pressure off a kid trying to figure out his place in life, but less so when you were a hell raiser like Bobby. Queens was his playground, and he got into all sorts of trouble as a youth even as he was an altar boy. He often fell in with the wrong crowd and did things he wasn't even remotely supposed to be doing as a future priest. Maybe it was because he knew what the future held that he didn't worry too much about it. He might have given his mother ulcers and gotten a beating more than once for it, but things really settled down when he went to seminary. As if destiny took over, he really enjoyed the study of theology and the more intellectual aspects of the church. They even said he was so gifted that he might be sent to the Vatican to work in the stacks there as a librarian and theologian, but the years went by and the call never came. He was eventually forced into a parish though preaching was never his forte.

It was there where his life turned upside down. The spirits began to show themselves early in that old church. Everything that religion had told him of the afterlife was wrong. The dead were all around. They never went away to join with their Maker. The dead were sad and angry and spiteful and lost. And because Father Napolitano could see them, they somehow knew it. And they would not leave him alone. He tried in the beginning to exorcize them, but it never worked. They came and they came and they came. He started to go mad with their raw emotions until one day he reached the breaking point and flipped over. He was able to hear them for the first time as they truly were and when he allowed it, the upstanding theologian became something the church would never recognize. He gave in to darker urgings that left him wracked with guilt. But when he did, they would speak to him and then go away forever. Where, he did not know. Heaven, he hoped, but in his heart did not believe.

Robert is a dour man, forever haunted by those that once walked the earth. He has not lost his faith, but he has become disconnected from it. Nothing in the real world matches up with what his studies told him. He prays for salvation even as his gifts make him sin over and over again.
The Expert
right-aligned image
Mr. Bo
Lin Botao (Bo or Mr. Bo to the neighborhood) Has been around the block, literally. He grew up at his grandmother's knee in her old apothecary shop on the site of where his Prince St. Bodega is now. He was a smart kid, always picking up new concepts and subjects with ease, but he loved listening to her more than what was taught in school. Her stories of white and black magic, of the world beneath the world and the Tao running through it all resonated with him. To Bo, there was no conflict between the modern world and her telling, only layers like paint washed over each other until it eventually chipped and flaked revealing the other realities beneath. He was in his teens when he discovered unused warehouse room shared in the center of the storefronts of their block, but forgotten through the years by the various tenants. He used to go there to mess around, but later in his twenties as his knowledge of real magic grew, he developed a plan for it. You see, magic was not limited to China. It had roots through every civilization in the world. And the more texts he discovered in his research the more he began to realize that all magic was meant to summon or banish monsters or emulate their powers by mortals. Monsters were the center and not the effect and were as old as the world itself. And so Bo prepared for them. He saved all his money and started another business on the same block, a bookstore, open long enough only to wall off the entrance to the shared warehouse and place protective wards over it before it went "In reality, Botao has a entrepreneurial knack and every business seeded money for the nextbelly up". Next was a FroYo shop and then a restaurant and so on until at last the only entrance was the old apothecary shop. Over the years it was replaced with the bodega, as Chinese medicine isn't as much of a hot commodity in Queens as it used to be, but old timers still know Mr. Bo maintains supplies in the back to help them out if they need something.

Bo is an eccentric. He has cultivated an aura of weirdness about him so that people dismiss his enterprises as just "Mr. Bo doing his thing again." He is able to compartmentalize his knowledge of dark and real dangers so that his love for life is not diminished. He talks openly of things that should remain hidden: magic and monsters and the twisted natures of reality. He's quick to laugh and shrug off setbacks or failures to the point where it seems like he doesn't recognize them as being detrimental at all.

He was chasing down the location of an old Algonquin artifact when he ran into the wendigo that was protecting it. Luckily he knew what he was getting into, as he usually does, and was prepared to fend off the monster and get away with his life. It was after that encounter that he realized how immediate the dangers of his study had become and how he needed backup if he were to continue to gather knowledge and fend off the monsters who seemed to be growing bolder with every passing day.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
So I've made my selection, if your not chosen don't be discouraged, I mostly chose based on synergy and personal preference, not by app quality. The cast is-

-Bo, played by Ungainlyfool.
-Honey/Angel, played by slapstick
-Jose, played by popculturebard
-Ennio, played by mightymconeshot

Here's the game link, please bring your character over ASAP so I know you are still interested.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19481
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 11:04 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 206
Motjaba Motjaba Motjaba
Have fun everyone! There were really interesting characters, I'm sure it will be an awesome game!
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 01:31 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5983
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Congrats on those chosen! Have fun!